Boardgames anyone? Page 74

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• repairmanjack 4 Jul 2013 14:54:39 6,042 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @McGeeza

Cheers. You're not helping! :) Neither is the fact I've just found the last copy of Legends of Andor in the UK. Gnnnn! Must. Resist...
  • Tomo 4 Jul 2013 15:10:15 13,910 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You can get Legends of Andor on Amazon!
  • Tomo 4 Jul 2013 15:11:17 13,910 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:

It came back in stock on Boardgameguru this week, I assumed that was the reprint?
    You bastard. I hadn't checked for a week or so. 43.99 is a great price too. Utter bastard.
  • Tomo 4 Jul 2013 15:17:56 13,910 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The friends thing is interesting. It's really difficult to predict who will and won't bite.

My girlfriend and other flatmate are very amenable. Okay, so I'm the addict who instigates the games and literally buys them ALL, but they will play pretty much whenever I ask. So, it's essentially 3 player on tap.

We have some friends round the corner and who are the sort of people to spend their entire weekend at home or at least pretty close to their house. They don't go out much, yet they are tentative when it comes to playing board games. They play Mafia, and my flatmate has told them about Avalon, so we're slowly trying to chip away at their reluctance. One has played Catan though and quite liked it I think.

There's another couple who live on the outskirts of London as well who I think are much more likely to play, so in theory I could get a 7-player going, but it will take some pretty precise coordination. To call these four particular friends apathetic is just about fair! It will happen though. A few games of Ticket to Ride and I think they will be mine.

I like the idea of town/city-based groups, but I'm mildly terrified. Walking into Leisure Games when there's a tournament on is a terrifying experience. And a smelly one to boot.
  • fillip 4 Jul 2013 15:36:15 890 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Tomo You're north London aren't you? I've signed up with two board game groups, one in Crouch End and one in North Finchley. But, I haven't been to a meet yet. Perhaps a bit of courage in numbers and we could bring a bit of freshness to the group. The one on Crouch End all seem like normal guys but they don't meet as regularly recently and are quite a small group.
  • Tomo 4 Jul 2013 15:39:47 13,910 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kentish Town!

Think we might have mentioned this before?
  • zoolophage 4 Jul 2013 15:42:38 1,731 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Tomo

Sounds like you have a chance of developing a good gaming group. Bear in mind that some games are great with a certain number of players and really terrible with a different number. Sometimes it matters a lot.

You also need to decide if you're going to deeply explore games or just play them once or twice and rotate your collection. Pros and cons in both approaches.

Another thing to consider is how replayable games are. There are many good games that don't stand up to repeated plays in a short time because they have optimum strategies e.g. Stone Age is a lot of fun but is the kind of game that benefits from being played only occasionally. Games with randomness tend to be more replayable.

Whatever you do, don't be tempted to buy more and more games without playing previous purchases first. Also try and cover mechanics bases e.g. worker placement, area control, auction etc and don't buy multiple games with the same mechanics. Many people end up buying far more games than they have time to play, which leads to a certain amount of regret / frustration.

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• Tomo 4 Jul 2013 15:44:11 13,910 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also... I just found a copy of Archipelago for an extremely eye-catching price... It says limited stock, but I have taken a punt. Fuckkk.
  • Tomo 4 Jul 2013 15:46:20 13,910 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    zoolophage wrote:
    @Tomo

*sound advice*

Yep! I'm aware of those issues. We're actually getting through the games pretty well. I do need to stop though. That said, board games seem to hold their value pretty well for quite a while, so I'll offload the chaff if needs be.
  • fillip 4 Jul 2013 15:54:14 890 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    zoolophage wrote:
    @Tomo
    Many people end up buying far more games than they have time to play, which leads to a certain amount of regret / frustration.
    /raises hand
    I've not got to regret yet though. Perhaps I'm still in denial.
    In my defence, a young family and 60+ hrs at work doesn't leave a lot of time for anything. But I'm going to rein it in a bit. I have 7 games on my wish list (2 of which are expansions) and have vowed not to buy anything else until next year.
  • Tomo 4 Jul 2013 15:57:07 13,910 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In fact this is an interesting point: which games do people regret buying, if any?

For me, Robinson Crusoe is the one I'm not convinced about yet. The rules were a ball-ache to learn and the 3 games I've played so far haven't had me enthralled as usual. It's a co-op and I think its biggest problem is that there is no individuality to it - instead, it feels like the three of you are just given 6 counters and you all decide where to place them. There's really little need for more than 1 player.

Space Cadets avoids this completely with simultaneous play and Pandemic seems to do a much better job of masking this problem. Plus, Pandemic takes <1 hour which helps.

I need to play a few more scenarios, but Crusoe could be setting sail soon for eBay.
  • fillip 4 Jul 2013 16:09:16 890 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good question.

None really. The nearest is Samurai Battles. I love the theme and the honour mechanics but its just too fiddly to set up. C&C Ancients is just the easier option. It's a keeper though.

The other borderline one is Gears of War. The more I expand my collection, the less I rate this one. There are just too many occasions where the game overstays its welcome. It all depends on the AI deck, which can get stuck in a bit of a loop towards the end of a stage/game. If there was a way to keep this at around 90 mins play time I would rate it higher.

Edited by fillip at 16:10:17 04-07-2013
  • midnight_walker 4 Jul 2013 16:13:38 1,976 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @fillip How long does the Gears game last? A buddy of mine has just bought it and is eager to play. I assumed it was around 90 mins...
  • zoolophage 4 Jul 2013 16:22:32 1,731 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I regret quite a few, too many to recall or mention. Middle Earth Quest, Dominant Species and Railways of the World are among my more expensive mistakes. I don't regret the money, just that I could have bought something else. I eventually learned that just because a game is good that doesn't mean other people will like it or that it will be played often enough (or even ever) to be worth a place on the shelf.

I must have donated 60+ games to the charity shop in my 10 years of boardgaming. Some turned out not to be what I imagined and others just didn't seem to played at all (for no good reason other than lack of time). It also took me a couple of years to work out the kind of games that I truly enjoyed. I used to be easily swayed by positive reviews on BGG.

I'm now kind of interested in solo games such as Mage Knight or Andean Abyss, as they look deep and replayable I also like the Lord of the Rings Living Card game as solo play.

Buying games can be incredibly addictive as it's such a fun, social and inclusive hobby that you always imagine another game is just what you need to fill x spot.

• zoolophage 4 Jul 2013 16:26:19 1,731 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Tomo

Do you have the German or English version of Robinson Crusoe? Interested in maybe doing a swap for something? PM me if so.

• fillip 4 Jul 2013 16:27:33 890 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @midnight_walker It depends on how the cards come out, and the scenario chosen but I have had a few games at 3 or 3.5 hours, which is just too much.

Last week I played the same scenario on consecutive evenings (solo). First time I was done in 40 mins and enjoyed the game immensely. The second game dragged to about 1 hr 40 mins, a lot of which was in the last two rooms. The AI deck, due to the enemies on the board, kept cycling through with 'draw another card' type instructions. You'd clear one wave, run out of bolo to close an emergence hole, and the whole cycle would repeat again.
    If course, it could just be my very poor play.

All said, I have had some very enjoyable games and would say that I've pretty much had my monies worth out if it.

Edited by fillip at 16:29:13 04-07-2013
  • Tomo 4 Jul 2013 16:33:24 13,910 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @zoolophage

It's English. I need to play it a few more times really before I decide, but I'll keep you in mind if I do let it go!
  • repairmanjack 4 Jul 2013 17:03:01 6,042 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't regret buying any games (yet). I do regret giving away Dark Highway and a first edition Blood Bowl to a charity shop though. Christ, I could have traded the latter for a copy of Space Hulk.
  • repairmanjack 4 Jul 2013 17:04:12 6,042 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've only played Robinson Crusoe solo, maybe that makes a difference for me. I thought it was the best thing released last year. I think it's finally available to buy again, thanks to Origins in the US. Should see new copies here any day now.
  • repairmanjack 4 Jul 2013 17:07:48 6,042 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's worth saying, again, just how bloody amazing Claustrophobia is. Two-player, head-to-head, dungeon battler. And it plays in 45 mins. Wish they'd reprint the expansion.

Oh, and Pandemic gets recommended here quite a bit. Just be careful that you're picking up the new edition, if you decide to get it. There's a reprinted expansion (On the Brink) that isn't compatible with the old game. They've offered to give earlier adopters compatibilty packs so the original game will work. It costs almost $46 to have it shipped here. They're suggesting it might just be best to buy a second copy of the base game.

Fucking cheek.

Edited by repairmanjack at 17:09:44 04-07-2013
  • Tomo 4 Jul 2013 17:08:09 13,910 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I feel sick looking on eBay nowadays. My mum took all our GW stuff to a car boot many years ago. It would easily fetch 1k now, nnrgghh.
  • repairmanjack 4 Jul 2013 17:10:43 6,042 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    I feel sick looking on eBay nowadays. My mum took all our GW stuff to a car boot many years ago. It would easily fetch 1k now, nnrgghh.
    I don't want to know what my entire Star Wars collection that vanished when I was at school one day, is now worth. I have a feeling someone's retiring early on that.
  • zoolophage 4 Jul 2013 17:10:44 1,731 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Tomo

Fair enough. Sometimes it's good to spend a bit more time on games that don't immediately make an impression on you.

• zoolophage 4 Jul 2013 17:52:06 1,731 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Re the Pandemic new edition situation. I have both the old editions and am definitely not going to replace them. I actually prefer the look of the originals over the new look. It's disappointing that In the Lab isn't going to be available for original owners.

• cubbymoore 4 Jul 2013 18:00:44 36,496 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    I like the idea of town/city-based groups, but I'm mildly terrified. Walking into Leisure Games when there's a tournament on is a terrifying experience. And a smelly one to boot.
    I went into my local game shop the other day and the fattest and smelliest guy was in there wearing a barely concealing vest. It's so fucking annoying that I had to leave so quickly because of that, completely ruined my day.
  • speedofthepuma 4 Jul 2013 22:45:12 13,299 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    fillip wrote:
    So, is the remit 2P with a none geeky theme?

If so London, Agricola or the 2P version All Creatures Big and Small, Dominion, Citadels, Innovation or K2.

What's that game about queuing for stuff in communist era Poland, that SU&SD have mentioned? That sounds good.
    Kolejka (or Queue), although I hear it gets old fast. Love all your other suggestions.
    Thanks guys, although I think our definition of geeky is different from hers, as she already feels Citadels and Dominion (which we own and I love) are definitely in that group.

Thought about K2, but she thought Agricola sounded dull. Hard to please eh?

Will definitely look into the Sherlock Holmes game now, thanks McGeeza.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• Tomo 5 Jul 2013 07:53:58 13,910 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Btw, think this is legit:

http://www.365games.co.uk/strategy-board-games/archipelago

Mega price. Only 1 left though...
  • zoolophage 5 Jul 2013 09:17:45 1,731 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    About Agricola sounding dull. To be honest many eurogames could be about any theme at all. Some themes are so tacked on it's ridiculous. I actually love the farming theme as its about building up a growth engine and its different every time. The mechanics are rich and the artwork is gorgeous.

• LeoliansBro 5 Jul 2013 09:19:22 44,210 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've always had a hankering to try Agricola but I'm put off slightly by being told that it is basically a single player game and there is no real interaction with your opponents (pretty standard for Euro games). Thoughts chaps?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• fillip 5 Jul 2013 09:20:20 890 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Btw, think this is legit:

http://www.365games.co.uk/strategy-board-games/archipelago

Mega price. Only 1 left though...
    I've ordered off them before and they were pretty good, so legit.
  • Page

of 130 First / Last