Boardgames anyone? Page 71

• Page

of 139 First / Last

• Tomo 5 Jun 2013 00:42:31 13,992 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fourth game of Blood Bowl this evening! My flat mate has taken to it like a goblin thrown through the air. He scored his first touchdown too which I think he was rather pleased with. Narrow 2-1 victory for me. It's beginning to get competitive now he's used to the rules. I implore everyone to go and buy a copy on eBay ;)
  • tincanrocket 5 Jun 2013 09:06:50 3,030 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    tincanrocket wrote:
    The Spartacus expansion is out in the wild - hopefully my copy is arriving today \o/
    Ooh! Let us know what you think of it, when you get a sec. The base board game is brilliant.
    Just got into work and it was on my desk. Have unwrapped it and the components are all as good as the original - a couple of nice looking new gladiator figures (time to get the paints out again), and an expanded rule set with rules for 6 players and 2-on-2 fights. Now I just need to find 5 people to play :/
  • Tomo 8 Jun 2013 20:29:45 13,992 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Have you Spartacus fans seen the Shut Up & Sit Down review btw? It really put me off the game...
  • repairmanjack 9 Jun 2013 16:00:54 6,082 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Have you Spartacus fans seen the Shut Up & Sit Down review btw? It really put me off the game...
    The game is great... Just to give an alternative opinion. They're not the be all and end all when it comes to this stuff. I agree with them on a lot, but it's worth trying out their dislikes as well as their favourites. They don't rate Arkham Horror or 1960: the Making of the President. And, on both counts, they're mental, frankly.
  • Nemesis 9 Jun 2013 17:19:59 18,752 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tsuro turned up and it looks lovely! Can't wait to play it. Although I've noticed Netrunner so I might have to nab that too!

One of the gamers has a birthday meal today so I'm smuggling in Zombie Dice.

It's my go-to portable game, very very easy for new people to get. Highly recommended, a good alternative to Munchkin.
  • speedofthepuma 12 Jun 2013 13:11:04 13,320 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Had great fun with citadels and forbidden island on holiday, evn got my wonderful wife to join in on the former and she just might be enjoying it. Picked up Zombicide today because of my lust for something with lots of pieces, not played it yet, just getting my head round the rules.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• fillip 12 Jun 2013 16:37:54 897 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    Tomo wrote:
    The game is great... Just to give an alternative opinion. They're not the be all and end all when it comes to this stuff. I agree with them on a lot, but it's worth trying out their dislikes as well as their favourites. They don't rate Arkham Horror or 1960: the Making of the President. And, on both counts, they're mental, frankly.
    I rate Spartacus as well. I agree with all the points that SU&SD raise but still find the game so much fun. The intrigue phase is a lot better than they make it sound. Yes you are *just* playing cards, but there are counters and lots of negotiations. I suppose it depends on how much the table gets involved in the talking around the cards.

What I do like about the cards is that there are very few that take influence off you, so the game keeps building up to the finale, no last minute set backs etc.
  • tincanrocket 13 Jun 2013 12:04:29 3,030 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I must say I found that SU&SD video pretty cringe-worthy - its sub-PeepShow comedy delivery and characterisation was rather tragic. Each to their own, I guess.

I'm probably just getting old, but I prefer my reviews to be a little more about the subject being reviewed and a lot less about the "wackiness" of the reviewer or reviewers.

/humbug
  • repairmanjack 13 Jun 2013 14:33:47 6,082 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, hitting 40 yesterday was made far less depressing when I unwrapped Andean Abyss and Discworld: Ankh Morpork. Tomorrow should see Zpocalypse and Dominant Species arrive. I celebrated my birthday by refusing to make noises when I bent over.

Normal service has resumed today, of course...
  • LeoliansBro 13 Jun 2013 14:37:32 44,963 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    I celebrated my birthday by refusing to make noises when I bent over.
    So yesterday was just you making noises when someone bent you over? Each to their own I guess.

My copy of Vampire Empire is crying out to be tried. Looks good, some of the special cards in particular seem particularly devious (vampires look tough to kill such that they stay dead).

Edited by LeoliansBro at 14:44:43 13-06-2013

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• sanctusmortis 13 Jun 2013 16:54:40 9,807 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I really, really wish there was a way to get hold of a UK edition of Cards Against Humanity, that didn't cost a human soul.

Apparently there was a UK edition trialled this year at some event in London. I'm hoping we get a full game - base plus all expansions - for £50.
  • repairmanjack 13 Jun 2013 17:49:37 6,082 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It was on amazon for thirty quid, which I guess is what it will cost if it releases here at genuine retail. It's a great game ... especially if your pals are evil bastards. Keep an eye on amazon as it reappears regularly. It's the US version of course, but that only really mattered for maybe a half dozen cards.
  • asphaltcowboy 16 Jun 2013 17:47:47 5,143 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well they used to block it from sale in the UK entirely - you can at least buy it now from an Amazon partner: LINK
  • brokenkey 16 Jun 2013 19:21:00 7,159 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Chappy who runs my local board games shop was saying he was involved in playtesting a UK localized version, and it should be out later in the year.

"Jimmy Saville" has made it onto the list.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Nemesis 16 Jun 2013 20:49:15 18,752 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tsuro got a run last night; to say it's brief is an understatement. 3 player was OK, I can't help but feel it would do better with maybe 4-6.

Beautiful looking game, super easy to play. As they said on Tabletop, it's a game between bigger games. Glad I got it, however I don't feel it'll get much action.
  • phAge 16 Jun 2013 21:21:45 24,445 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hosted my first 5-player game of Talisman last night. Good fun but even with reduced trading of trophies to level up it still took around 4 hours. Next time we'll try with the optional extra Strength/Craft from the start, as well as the Dungeon expansion. Looking forward to that.

Also found out that my local games shop is hosting a gamenight every second Thursday - think I'll bring my Dreadball, which I'm yet to try, next time and see if anyone fancies a go.
  • repairmanjack 16 Jun 2013 22:40:19 6,082 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, Dominant Species certainly knows how to twist the melon... So much to keep track off in a two-player game. I figure it has to be easier with three or four. Anyone else tried it or have any tips on keeping track of the upkeep? Really nice components in the third edition, although I'm struggling to pick up the dominance cones with my sponge fingers.

Reading the rules for Zpocalypse right now. Seems like State of Decay in cardboard form, and I can see it being brutal fun. Would have it set up but my fiancée has grabbed the table for wedding prep.
  • Tomo 22 Jun 2013 17:24:45 13,992 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My girlfriend is awesome.

I broke my jaw in two places last weekend and I'm now feeding through a straw. Sigh. Anyway, today she drives me to Leisure Games as I wanted a new game.

I go in thinking I'll push my luck and get two rather than one. I'm eyeing up Power Grid, Carcassonne an Dominion. The owner says I can have some promo cards for Dominion if I buy that. Poo, I think, better get that and Carc then.

My GF then says Power Grid looks interesting... I was torn. She'd expressed an interested I felt I should address, to ingratiate her further with board games.

A few minutes later and I walked out with all three! Awesome.

Have started Power Grid first. 3 rounds through our first game. Can already see some of its intricacies. Think it's going to become a favourite quickly.
  • repairmanjack 23 Jun 2013 10:12:41 6,082 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    For all the great games I've played this past year, Power Grid, somehow, still remains my absolute favourite. I taught it to my pal recently... and he despised it. Said it was like having a job. The fool. He still plays fucking monopoly with his missus.

I guess there's no saving some people. :)
  • Tomo 23 Jun 2013 12:06:23 13,992 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I won the first game but it was fluke.

We mucked up the rules slightly - didn't realise you couldn't build two plants on one city until phase 2, so we already had a couple of double cities before phase 2. Kinda screwed things up.

Still, only taken 1 game and we all know the rules now. Can't wait for the next one :)

Also, I was worried it would be too much like Ticket to Ride, but it's absolutely nothing like it! The only real comparison I can see is that you have to chain together pieces, but that's about it. It's like saying football and rugby are similar because both use a ball!
  • phAge 23 Jun 2013 14:30:08 24,445 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dreadball yesterday. Good fun with lots of potential and depth. Think I might paint up the minis after all.
  • mikeck 24 Jun 2013 10:32:46 1,936 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Second game of Game of Thrones (board game, not card game) over the weekend. Such a fantastic game. Only played with five players again (no House Martell) but we had a really interesting game.

The only downside for me is that I was the only one of us who didn't play as a new House, so I was stuck as the Greyjoy's again. I realised far too late the best strategy for playing as this house (use the ships far more aggressively than I had been), and therefore had to contend myself with simply holding back the Starks for the entire game (we kept taking land and strongholds from each other with little real gain), whilst maintaining a very uneasy alliance with the Lannisters until the final round.

Definitely looking forward to the day when we finally sit and play with all six Houses, and have a full roster of players vying for the Iron Throne.

Such a great game (especially when combined with beers and BBQ as we did on Saturday).

Edited by mikeck at 10:33:00 24-06-2013
  • Tomo 24 Jun 2013 12:35:14 13,992 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Played 6 games of Dominion yesterday :o

It's absolutely brilliant. Quick to grasp and has copious depth. The amount of content in the base box is staggering. There are so many possibilities and yet there are about 8 expansions or something mad.

It's refreshing playing a game that generally takes less than 45 minutes and sometimes as little as 20. Love it.
  • speedofthepuma 24 Jun 2013 13:06:58 13,320 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My problem with dominion is it feels a bit like a few people playing solo games together, rather than against each other, even with Intigue.

I think my favourite game so far is Citadels. Really, really clever, deep, and yet simple to explain and play.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• riz23 24 Jun 2013 13:34:20 1,471 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We got Archipelago out the other day for a first play. There were 5 of us, so the first turn took about an hour to do but it then speeded up. Expect about 45 mins per player I reckon. Less if you play the short objective version, we started with a medium but on hindsight the shorter game would have been better first time out.

What a game it is. It has a little bit of everything. Card tapping, negotiation, auctions, co-operation, worker placement, building, secret win objectives; it pretty much robs from everything and turns it into one great cohesive whole.

In terms of theme it really works well. You feel like you are explorers in the new world. Growing, sending exotic resources back to the old world, dealing with the indigenous population.

It has some beautiful pieces and the box design is super clever; storing things and actually being used in play.

It has a lot of depth which we only just began to dig at. We are looking forward to another go!

If you like you games long, not light and with great chin stroking potential I suggest you give it a go.

GT: oldskooldeano

• Tomo 24 Jun 2013 15:54:12 13,992 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I REALLY want Archipelago. Been looking at it for a long time. Think there is a new print run soon, so intending on picking it up then. Great to hear more positivity!
  • LeoliansBro 24 Jun 2013 15:55:17 44,963 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I'm intrigued. It looks like Catan+.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Tomo 24 Jun 2013 16:00:24 13,992 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    My problem with dominion is it feels a bit like a few people playing solo games together, rather than against each other, even with Intigue.

I think my favourite game so far is Citadels. Really, really clever, deep, and yet simple to explain and play.
    Interesting. I'm aware of Citadels and almost bought it at the weekend. Plumped for Dominion in the end as it seems to be written up as /the/ classic card game.

I can see what you mean about Dominion, but in the 6 games I've played, there has definitely been an element of playing the other people. I won one game purely because I had the foresight to buy one Duchy more than my opponent. That was tactical because I knew we were both whittling down the Provinces as quickly as possible.

Likewise, last night I almost lost because I was too focused on my own game. Thought I was miles ahead and wasn't paying close enough attention to my opponent. I also had 4 golds stolen by a thief in that game which royally pissed me off.

That said though, Citadels does sound the more interactive of the two. Dominion has so much variety though, and it's so tightly designed with 3 or even 2 players.
  • Tomo 24 Jun 2013 16:05:46 13,992 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Yeah I'm intrigued. It looks like Catan+.
    Agreed. Exactly my thoughts. I do love Catan.

Incidentally, I've been after Cities & Knights for a while, but not got round to picking it up yet.

What are EGers thoughts on the various expansions?

From my understanding:
    - Seafarers: more of the same, larger map
    - Cities & Knights: less luck, more difficult/tactical
    - Traders & Barbarians: not so sure... more scenarios?
    - Pirates: new scenarios and more technical game
  • Page

of 139 First / Last