Boardgames anyone? Page 69

• Page

of 123 First / Last

• Tomo 28 May 2013 00:40:44 13,886 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Introduced my flat mate to Blood Bowl tonight which I haven't played for about 12 years. Got it off eBay for 35 notes. Surprising how well I remembered the rules!

It was a joy to play. I won 1-0 with a touchdown in the first half. The second half was really dramatic but alas my friend fumbled it before he could stage a late, winning long bomb.

There's nothing quite like it to my knowledge. Probably my favourite game ever.
  • fillip 28 May 2013 07:39:53 890 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What edition did you get? And is it just the box teams, Human v Orc?

As a kid I had the one with the polystyrene board. My High Elf team were bad ass...and fragile.
  • Tomo 28 May 2013 09:19:27 13,886 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    4th edition. Plastic humans and orks.

Damn Games Workshop is expensive nowadays. I remember having Warhammer, 40k, BB, Necromunda and Man O War as a kid. My mum sold them all at a boot fair for a pittance. They'd probably be worth more than a grand now. Nnnrgh.

Necromunda itself goes for ~100 quid in mint condition.
  • LeoliansBro 28 May 2013 09:24:33 43,640 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, I managed to have a six player game of Dune where most everybody knew what they were doing and ... my God, but that's a good game. In a nutshell, you take fairly straighforward area control and soldier placement mechanics, throw in an additional layer of complexity with the combat system, the storm, the turn order and the random resource gatheringm and then tip everything on its ear by giving all six factions unique rules and victory conditions.

One of the best tabletop experiences I've ever had, if you have enough people for a full game I cannot recommend it enough. There's a reason it's £80-£100 for a 1979 game with cardboard counters. It's wonderful.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Dizzy 28 May 2013 10:57:35 2,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Phattso Thanx... that Xia does indeed look interesting. I guess I will back him.
  • sanctusmortis 28 May 2013 11:07:53 9,627 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I still have my poly board edition of Blood Bowl. It's like my legacy or something. Warhammer Quest's the holy grail, though; I've seen the tile set alone go for hundreds on eBay. Great for D&D, y'see.

Getting King of Tokyo Friday after watching the Tabletop episode. Not bothering with the rather lame looking expansion, though.
  • S.J.Rogers 28 May 2013 11:49:47 3,557 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My GF and i have just got into playing MTG, I know its not really a board game (we have Catan and Tzolken for that) but as a just cards game, i am really enjoying it.

My friend plays too but and is FAR too good.

Anyone else play, have any tips for a newby..?
  • Stickman 28 May 2013 11:54:51 29,664 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Get it on pc/xbox too so you can practice.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• fillip 28 May 2013 12:10:45 890 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Tomo Now you have gotten me searching for a copy of Blood Bowl!

Iím thinking of getting the 2nd edition, purely for nostalgia but itís also a lot cheaper. Does anyone know if anything changed that would mean I couldnít use the 2nd edition box contents with the latest (living rulebook) rules that I intend to print off and use? Things such as different pitch size or different tokens or range rulers etc.
  • repairmanjack 28 May 2013 12:36:32 5,998 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got a pal turning up for a rematch of A Few Acres of Snow in a bit. I think it's eclipsing Power Grid as my favourite game. Definitely the best two-player head-to-head I own.

Terra Mystica is on its way for my birthday; stupidly excited to get hold of this one. I'm hoping to club together enough funds for Dominant Species too.
  • Tomo 28 May 2013 13:06:28 13,886 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @sanctusmortis

Ugh. We never owned Warhammer Quest but my friend who I used to play GW with had a copy. Doubt very much he still has it!

Personally, I never really liked Warhammer Quest though. HeroQuest was far superior :D
  • Dizzy 28 May 2013 13:27:25 2,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    @sanctusmortis

Ugh. We never owned Warhammer Quest but my friend who I used to play GW with had a copy. Doubt very much he still has it!

Personally, I never really liked Warhammer Quest though. HeroQuest was far superior :D
    Yeah WH Quest was junk TBH. The combat system was slow and annoying.
  • S.J.Rogers 28 May 2013 14:57:30 3,557 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    Get it on pc/xbox too so you can practice.
    That was the first thing i did..! :)

Does anyone play that version around here..?
  • ZuluHero 28 May 2013 15:09:18 4,095 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dizzy wrote:
    Tomo wrote:
    @sanctusmortis

Yeah WH Quest was junk TBH. The combat system was slow and annoying.
    what, the 1 dice to hit and 1 to wound? Combat really shouldn't take too long! Not compared to stuff like D&D at least.
  • repairmanjack 28 May 2013 18:50:54 5,998 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just squeezed in another three hour game of Relic. Jesus, dice really hate me. The exploding dice mechanic is great but nothing was taking any prisoners this afternoon. I'm actually considering updating my second edition Talisman to the FFG fourth when I start the new job in September. Really having a good time with Relic, despite some of the luck involved.
  • 4gate 28 May 2013 23:23:30 362 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Played my first game of Relic today, great and beautiful game, one of those I'll never care about winning, just what happens to the characters on the way round. Which is fine, loads of more competitive games out there. Going to have a good go at painting the characters at some point.

Sympathise entirely re the dice, my daughter got to level 7 and went on to win, annihilating everything in her Ultramarines path, whilst my Commissar was beaten by a wide variety of pretty much everything, killed twice and then corrupted, never got past level 2 with him or the Ratling that followed him up. Going to use different dice next time.
  • phAge 29 May 2013 07:15:21 24,344 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    4th edition. Plastic humans and orks.

Damn Games Workshop is expensive nowadays. I remember having Warhammer, 40k, BB, Necromunda and Man O War as a kid. My mum sold them all at a boot fair for a pittance. They'd probably be worth more than a grand now. Nnnrgh.

Necromunda itself goes for ~100 quid in mint condition.
    Your mum is great. Without people like her I'd be a lot poorer... ;)

/looks at stack of awesome preowned games bought on the cheap
  • Dizzy 29 May 2013 08:25:47 2,617 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    4gate wrote:
    Played my first game of Relic today, great and beautiful game, one of those I'll never care about winning, just what happens to the characters on the way round. Which is fine, loads of more competitive games out there. Going to have a good go at painting the characters at some point.

Sympathise entirely re the dice, my daughter got to level 7 and went on to win, annihilating everything in her Ultramarines path, whilst my Commissar was beaten by a wide variety of pretty much everything, killed twice and then corrupted, never got past level 2 with him or the Ratling that followed him up. Going to use different dice next time.
    We played Relic last week... it certainly is fun. A slightly enhanced Talisman IMHO with the same problems and weaknesses, but if it fun... who cares? :)
  • AccidentProne 29 May 2013 13:21:20 1,159 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just in case any of you don't follow the bargains threads over on BGG...

The Works have got a new bunch of supposedly reasonable games in at bargain prices. Stock seems to vary store by store, but I've picked up Felinia too, among others.

Picked those up for a friends. Was most interested in Gosu myself, but apprently all their stock was the German version.
  • Waffleaber 29 May 2013 15:49:09 388 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Damn, my local Works has only got Nexos and Alien Checkers new in stock.

The knowledge there is interesting stock out there will have me checking back every lunch time though i'm sure.
  • Nemesis 30 May 2013 07:57:47 18,603 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Warhammer Quest is up; getting it now ! 731Mb

Edited by Nemesis at 07:58:20 30-05-2013
  • Trafford 30 May 2013 09:10:38 5,720 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've joined a D&D club to pad out my new single life.
    Got a boardgames meet for beginners next week at a place in town.
    \excited
  • repairmanjack 30 May 2013 10:09:23 5,998 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    Yup. All over that.

Digging Arkham Horror out tonight, seeing as I have a few days in the house alone. Also going for a first play of Archipelago... Take a look at the Shut Up show for an excellent review. And try not to grin every time Paul tries to pronounce the name of the game. :)
  • Nemesis 30 May 2013 10:27:36 18,603 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    We are playing Last Night again on Sunday; it'll be a nice break from Eclipse (which I like. Very much).

I must say with this thread I really have to stop myself spending money. The group is not a 'rules heavy' group, so I'm wondering whether Talisman would be a good choice. It really divides opinion from what I've read.

I'm also kinda looking at Blood Bowl and cursing myself for not keeping Warhammer Quest. Even just for the board pieces. Saying that, I did download it just to have a look through.

Thoughts on Blood Bowl and Talisman? Can I split the group into two for BB, have 3 people per team ?
  • ZuluHero 30 May 2013 10:31:38 4,095 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've played BB 2v2. It works alright but does break the flow a little bit.
  • fillip 30 May 2013 10:42:22 890 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    Nemesis wrote:
    Yup. All over that.

Digging Arkham Horror out tonight, seeing as I have a few days in the house alone. Also going for a first play of Archipelago... Take a look at the Shut Up show for an excellent review. And try not to grin every time Paul tries to pronounce the name of the game. :)
    I've been playing quite a bit of the solo expansion of Archipelago. It's quite good, if a different game almost from the full fat game. A great way to get the core mechanics down. Have you got it?
  • tincanrocket 30 May 2013 10:49:30 2,935 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We've got a boardgame cafe opening in Oxford in July, so I might finally be able to find some willing victims to help me learn how to play the (ludicrously complicated) Dune card game I've been hoovering up cards for. Should have Lords of Waterdeep arriving either today or tomorrow too, which I'm looking forward to trying out.

Very jealous that you got a 6-player game of Dune together, LB - it has been the best part of 25 years since I've done that. It really is a truly brilliant game when you have a full set of players who understand the game and the Dune universe.

Here's the link to the cafe that's opening here, in case anyone is interested:

http://www.thirstymeeples.co.uk
  • LeoliansBro 30 May 2013 10:56:38 43,640 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lords of Waterdeep is a cracking game, but don't be fooled - it's about opening a chain of shops and managing your supply chain, not about magical fantasy dragons and wizards.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• repairmanjack 30 May 2013 11:04:08 5,998 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    fillip wrote:
    repairmanjack wrote:
    Nemesis wrote:
    Yup. All over that.

I've been playing quite a bit of the solo expansion of Archipelago. It's quite good, if a different game almost from the full fat game. A great way to get the core mechanics down. Have you got it?
    Grabbed it two months ago... and have only taken the shrinkwrap off. Ahem.
  • fillip 30 May 2013 11:12:09 890 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @repairmanjack The solo rules and sometimes the set up and win conditions aren't always clear but it has been my solo go to game for a bit now. It's a great way to learn the game as only Phase 2 and 6 change. It makes the main game in to more of a puzzle solving exercise but I still find that fun. Let me know how you get on - perhaps we can have a bit of solo scoring competition if you warm to it. You did well to grab the solo expansion when you did as it seems to be out of stock in most place now.

Edited by fillip at 11:12:58 30-05-2013
  • Page

of 123 First / Last