Boardgames anyone? Page 66

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• andytheadequate 28 Apr 2013 01:15:04 8,169 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've had my first games of twilight struggle tonight. Easy to pick up but a very deep game. We sort of guessed our way through the tactics, although we had to abandon our second game due to time constraints. I won the first game easily, or so it appeared, but mainly due to me scoring heavily from a card I wasn't meant to have played (I mixed the card decks up).

Still, seems a good 2 player game so far. Will probably take 3 or so hours to play a full game. Will update once I've played it a bit more.

7 wonders tomorrow, with a bit of luck. Can't wait for that!
  • jaxon58 28 Apr 2013 01:33:14 2,422 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Talisman Prologue available on iOS and Android now everyone! A great single player board game experience.
  • disusedgenius 28 Apr 2013 01:37:20 5,315 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oooh, might have to pick that up. A few guys at the club enjoy that and Relic so it'd be good to see what the fuss is all about.
  • McGeeza 28 Apr 2013 10:35:41 935 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jaxon58 wrote:
    Talisman Prologue available on iOS and Android now everyone! A great single player board game experience.
    Well done mate. It's very slick. Runs on my poor old iPad 1 with no problems either.

I really like the quest idea too, as i'm not sure how much fun playing against 3 AI would be, given the games randomness.
  • repairmanjack 28 Apr 2013 10:54:27 6,042 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Relic is brilliant fun!
  • RyanDS 28 Apr 2013 12:45:39 9,356 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Picked up that Star Trek Expeditions in the end. I really enjoyed it, it has a really nice narrative to it and I love the models.

Don't think there will be much replayablity to it though, and it is crying out for expansions which I don't think will ever happen sadly.
  • phAge 28 Apr 2013 12:50:08 24,371 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not exactly a boardgame, but I picked up a bunch of old Fighting Fantasy-books at a boot fair some months ago, and have just started on one (The Warlock of Firetop Mountain) with the girlf as co-driver.

Played/read a lot of FF when I was a youngster - be interesting to see how the nostalgia holds up.
  • RyanDS 28 Apr 2013 12:55:31 9,356 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    Not exactly a boardgame, but I picked up a bunch of old Fighting Fantasy-books at a boot fair some months ago, and have just started on one (The Warlock of Firetop Mountain) with the girlf as co-driver.

Played/read a lot of FF when I was a youngster - be interesting to see how the nostalgia holds up.
    Not to well I would say. Whereas the Lone Wolf books are as good as ever.
  • jaxon58 28 Apr 2013 14:18:16 2,422 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    McGeeza wrote:
    jaxon58 wrote:
    Well done mate. It's very slick. Runs on my poor old iPad 1 with no problems either.

I really like the quest idea too, as i'm not sure how much fun playing against 3 AI would be, given the games randomness.
    Thanks! It's my first mobile game so it's been a nervy week!
    Yeah, games vs. AI are going to have to be quick otherwise players will turn off.
  • BeheretiK 28 Apr 2013 14:24:48 883 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    jaxon58 wrote:
    Thanks! It's my first mobile game so it's been a nervy week!
    Yeah, games vs. AI are going to have to be quick otherwise players will turn off.
    Ah, missed this post, but exactly the kind of game I have been looking for on my Nexus 7. Initial impressions are great, looking forward to spending more time with it. Well, when I am done with Fire Emblem anyway!

3DS: 5241-1899-2292

• speedofthepuma 28 Apr 2013 14:53:58 13,299 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    fillip wrote:
    @speedofthepuma Does it involve buying no action cards and just picking up money and VP?
    No, he coupled ironworks with Great Hall (so he got anther action and another card) and before I knew it cleared another set of kingdom cards with the ironworks, then ended the game. Clever little blighter.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• mikeck 29 Apr 2013 09:06:32 1,936 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bought the Game of Thrones board game on Friday (2nd Edition) and played with four mates yesterday - took five hours (accounting for set-up, re-reading rules throughout the game and general being our first time), but it was an absolutely cracking game.

Great elements of strategy, some luck, and lots of chances for backstabbing. The game takes a few rounds to start unfolding, but by the time you get to the end-game it becomes a real tense affair - with lots of phases for combat, raiding, support etc.

[Example - I was playing as the Greyjoys, and was sandwiched between the Starks and Lannisters. At this point of the game I was on good standing with house Stark, but had had a few altercations with house Lannister. I made one final attempt to break the Lannisters at their home stronghold and took in a heavy attack force of +9, with their modifiers and defense force they had +10 - so this meant that it all came down to the choice of house card to use - which is where I fell down. Instead of picking the +2 combat modifier which also discounted any combat modifier from the enemy house card, I stupidly went with a +4 combat modifer, only for Lannister to have one of their own and beat me by 1 point.

My army was routed retreated back into my territory, only for another Lannister army to sweep in and destroy the routed units. So in one terrible decision I had fucked my whole game. It was really fun though, and knowing that I was only one correct decision away from sweeping through one enemy and nearly reaching the game win criteria was a good feeling.]

I really recommend this, very good fun for those who are content to fill a whole afternoon/evening with a really deep, strategic game.

It's definitely being played on our next board game Sunday in May - this time with a full compliment of six players.
  • Alastair 29 Apr 2013 09:11:57 15,725 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    fillip wrote:
    @speedofthepuma Does it involve buying no action cards and just picking up money and VP?
    No, he coupled ironworks with Great Hall (so he got anther action and another card) and before I knew it cleared another set of kingdom cards with the ironworks, then ended the game. Clever little blighter.
    That's part of the fun of the game - spotting good little combinations of cards.
    E.g. in the base game, Chapel and Laboratory can be pretty deadly
    In Intrigue, the Duke is pretty awesome once you get about 5 of them and then buy about 5 Duchies...

Not as nice as I used to be

• Waffleaber 29 Apr 2013 10:00:05 411 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Played our first game of Pandemic last night.

It was pretty much the perfect introductory game, the red disease was cured before it even made an appearance, I drew scientist which made cures easier and we managed zero outbreaks. Just what you need for your first game when everyone is learning the rules.

Made us cocky for tonight though, time to increase the epidemic cards.
  • fillip 30 Apr 2013 07:31:00 890 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Eclipse has just been released on iOS. Anyone up for a game some time....once I learn the rules.
  • AccidentProne 30 Apr 2013 08:57:35 1,163 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bah, iPad only :( Probably would have been a bit fiddly for iPhone though.

The increasing number of decent boardgames on iOS is definitely pushing me into buying an iPad at some point soon.
  • McGeeza 30 Apr 2013 19:36:02 935 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    fillip wrote:
    Eclipse has just been released on iOS. Anyone up for a game some time....once I learn the rules.
    I'll be up for a game. Gamecenter tag: mcgeeza

I've only played for a bit and i've run into a few bugs already so it may be worth waiting or the inevitable patch.

Edited by McGeeza at 19:37:52 30-04-2013
  • McGeeza 30 Apr 2013 19:43:25 935 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    I've had my first games of twilight struggle tonight. Easy to pick up but a very deep game. We sort of guessed our way through the tactics, although we had to abandon our second game due to time constraints. I won the first game easily, or so it appeared, but mainly due to me scoring heavily from a card I wasn't meant to have played (I mixed the card decks up).

Still, seems a good 2 player game so far. Will probably take 3 or so hours to play a full game. Will update once I've played it a bit more.

7 wonders tomorrow, with a bit of luck. Can't wait for that!
    I played 3 turns of a solo training game last night and actually enjoyed playing against myself! I can see why the game is so highly rated. Looking forward to playing a real game soon.

Edited by McGeeza at 19:44:15 30-04-2013
  • ZuluHero 30 Apr 2013 20:30:33 4,145 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The 7 wonders expansion adds leaders, and they really change the tactics of the standalone game. Gonna have to play it with it a few more times to get used to the additional layer to the game.
  • fillip 30 Apr 2013 21:16:14 890 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @McGeeza Cool. That should leave me time to learn the game.
  • papalazarou 1 May 2013 18:27:11 66 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Had a few games of Forbidden Island with the wife, good easy to learn coop game. Any other recommended co-op games?
  • Tomo 1 May 2013 19:06:58 13,910 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pandemic. Space Cadets if you can get hold of it.
  • Tomo 3 May 2013 01:07:10 13,910 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Waffleaber wrote:
    Played our first game of Pandemic last night.

It was pretty much the perfect introductory game, the red disease was cured before it even made an appearance, I drew scientist which made cures easier and we managed zero outbreaks. Just what you need for your first game when everyone is learning the rules.

Made us cocky for tonight though, time to increase the epidemic cards.
    No idea how you managed this! Just got Pandemic today. Played two games this evening on Introductory and lost both! 9 outbreaks in each! It's a rock hard game. Absolutely brilliant, but rock hard.

I can see why it's done so well. The rulebook is brilliantly written and laid out. We were up and running within 30 minutes. Contrast with Robinson Crusoe which took more than 6 hours or so. It's also very compact, with few moves, but the underlying mechanic determining the spread of diseases is expertly crafted. There's real depth to it, despite being a concise game.

Can see this being a real favourite.
  • repairmanjack 3 May 2013 02:05:04 6,042 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My fiancee just admitted she's been looking into getting us tickets for Essen, this year, for my birthday. Considering a trip to the fair could bankrupt me if I wasn't careful, I think it's a blessing that work committments mean we can't make the trip.

Instead, she's just ordered me Andean Abyss, a game I've been looking at for six months. :)
  • Tomo 3 May 2013 09:47:48 13,910 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You're a bastard for pointing out Police Precinct to me jack.

I've been hovering over the pre-order button all week. I've spent 250 on board games since I got into them 3 months ago! 3 of which are co-operative. I'm not even sure how keen I am on co-operative games. So, 50 for another one is a significant outlay. My girlfriend is already almost at breaking-my-neck-point as it is.

But the theme and the knowledge it's so rare make it ever so tempting. Argh.

Incidentally, how well do first editions keep their value with board games?
  • repairmanjack 6 May 2013 01:17:20 6,042 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    You're a bastard for pointing out Police Precinct to me jack.

:)

Aye, it's a bugger. I don't need another game right now (well, for a year, at least) but it's just going to be impossible to get hold off, it seems, and talk of a reprint seems pretty cagey. It strikes me as one we'll all really enjoy (Tom Vasel raved about it) and I'd kick myself for not picking it up in what might be my only chance to do so.

I've decided to wait on Terra Mystica and Dominant Species to ensure I have the cash for this. It better be as good as they all say now, eh?

May well ask for the Discworld/Martin Wallace game for my birthday next month, too. Seems like something simpler we could tear through. (Love Wallace games.)

Read the rules on the "HD" re-release of Arctic Scavengers earlier. Think we're up for a first go tomorrow afternoon...
  • repairmanjack 6 May 2013 01:19:48 6,042 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Speaking of Martin Wallace: he's currently kickstarting A Study in Emerald. It's a game based on the Neil Gaimen (graphic?) novel; Cthulhu mythos vs Sherlock Holmes.

Sounds fucking brilliant, frankly.
  • riz23 6 May 2013 01:43:02 1,286 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    Speaking of Martin Wallace: he's currently kickstarting A Study in Emerald. It's a game based on the Neil Gaimen (graphic?) novel; Cthulhu mythos vs Sherlock Holmes.

Sounds fucking brilliant, frankly.
    Oh now why did you have to go and point that out for? That's another 50 I have had to drop on Kickstarter! It does sound brilliant though. Thanks for mentioning it.

BTW I have Andean Abyss myself and it is excellent. It is so good I signed up for Cuba Libre and A Distant Plain on the GMT P500
  • LeoliansBro 8 May 2013 12:02:18 44,215 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He's only gone and got himself a copy of the 1979 Avalon Hill boardgame of Dune, hasn't he?

Cannot. Wait.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• cubbymoore 8 May 2013 14:00:33 36,496 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As our group haven't really progressed from Carcassonne yet, and I'm finding the issue of the games always ending up in a battle for one massive field, I've decided to buy Hunters and Gatherers. It's supposed to be a much more balanced game, particularly regarding my fields gripe, and roads have more purpose as well as they're replaced with rivers which can have fish in which score more points as well.

Just waiting for it to arrive from the seller now...
  • Page

of 130 First / Last