Boardgames anyone? Page 65

• Page

of 131 First / Last

• fillip 11 Apr 2013 17:57:13 893 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've playe one 'game' of the Early War only. I just haven't had the time or the opponent to give it another go.
    I really want to have another game though and really enjoyed the taster session.
  • repairmanjack 11 Apr 2013 23:58:18 6,052 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Done a complete 180 on Love Letter after seven games with the kid, et al. It's a genius design. Sixteen cards shouldn't offer this much game!
  • fillip 12 Apr 2013 08:43:11 893 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @repairmanjack What do you like about it? I've played a fair few games and am a bit luke warm on it. I'm always up for a quick game of it but can't understand the hype it's had. Definitely prefer it with 2 or 3 as well.
  • Tomo 12 Apr 2013 11:07:23 13,926 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I need to play Love Letter 3-player.

I've had quite a few 2 player games now and I initially loved it, but now it's become a bit like Top Trumps. We both know our way around the cards well enough that the probabilities are very familiar to us. The occasional bluff can still work a treat, but they're rare with 2.
  • faux-C 12 Apr 2013 13:39:59 9,397 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just had Ladies & Gentlemen delivered. Excited to get it open and take a proper look when i get home from work later. It's a surprisingly hefty box considering it's mostly cardstock.
  • daft 12 Apr 2013 15:17:09 554 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Seems like my friends have really taken to board gaming! Everyone really into it and adjusted schedules and plans to be able to fit some gaming in tonight. Zombicide and Pandemic on the table! :)
  • Tomo 15 Apr 2013 12:35:28 13,926 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Played our first game of Space Cadets last night.

It was fucking hilarious! Wayyyy better than I was expecting. It's basically FTL in boardgame form. We had 3 players. Our group objective was to navigate space and collect three crystals before we got destroyed by some enemy ships lying in wait, or the pursuing Nemesis (much like the Rebel fleet in FTL).

There are nine stations, so you each are in charge of three stations. I had to man Shields, Sensors and take care of Repairing the ship. Basically, you get given 30 seconds to solve your own little mini-puzzle which contributes to the running of the whole ship. So, if I fucked up on Shields for instance, we would be open to damage.

Initially, the puzzles look deceptively easy. Picking a single Tetris shaped piece out of a black bag is easy, but when you have to find 4 within 30 seconds so you can lock on to 3 enemy ships at once, you begin to feel the pressure! The funniest moment is usually comes when it's time to fire the weapons. The main torpedo mini-game is a kind of tiddly-winks finger flick of a puck along a thin narrow track. The further you flick it, the more damage you do. But, go off the sides or end and you misfire. It looks a piece of piss, but again, when everyone else has prepped their stations perfectly so you can deal maximum damage, the pressure is on and more often than not, my friend simply underhit sending our torpedo bouncing of the enemy shields.

Having played Robinson Crusoe recently, I thought this would be a bit light-weight, but it's challenging and there's hidden depth to something which appears a bit superficial. The best thing is the responsibility each individual player is given. Crusoe felt like three people making decisions one person could make - this is impossible in Space Cadets. You have to work as a team, but also pull your own weight!

Looking forward to my next outing.
  • RunningMan 15 Apr 2013 12:45:54 2,419 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Tomo where did you get Space Cadets from?
    Ta in advance
  • Tomo 15 Apr 2013 13:18:27 13,926 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I managed to get the last copy on Amazon about a month ago!
  • RunningMan 15 Apr 2013 13:19:28 2,419 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cool, arrgghh it's 88 there. Still sounds awesome.
  • Tomo 15 Apr 2013 13:24:54 13,926 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah :/

I just had a quick look around some sites I know, but it seems to be sold out across the board.

Maybe try BGG? I bought Robinson Crusoe off someone one there for ~45. And Love Letter. I think it's quite a trustworthy forum. Board gamers seem like quite a unified bunch in my limited experience. Probably because every other media shuns them ;)
  • RunningMan 15 Apr 2013 13:45:12 2,419 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'll give it a go, cheers for the advice
  • fillip 16 Apr 2013 21:06:35 893 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can anyone recommend any decent Netrunner tutorial vids that don't come across as inherently geeky due to the 'presenters'. Reasonably short and concise would be nice as well.

I've arranged a teaching night in a couple of weekends time with some none board gamers. They did pick the game themselves from a shortlist that I provided so I have some latitude but don't want to put them off before they start, with rules pdfs etc.
  • McGeeza 16 Apr 2013 21:29:18 936 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I take it you've discounted the FFG vids? If not they are usually excellent, although I don't think i've watched the Netrunner ones.
  • fillip 17 Apr 2013 06:55:12 893 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I had discounted the FFG video, without watching much of it, as I thought it was more of a promo. It turns out that it is actually just want I wanted. Thanks.
  • RyanDS 17 Apr 2013 07:26:52 9,430 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone tried Star Trek Expeditions?

It's Reiner Krizia whick intrigues me, but more importantly it can be played one player which is a function I fucking love in board games. (If stuck at home alone and the wife is out it's nice to play a solo pandemic or Arkham Horror to pass the time.)
  • speedofthepuma 22 Apr 2013 02:01:22 13,293 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bought Dominian Intrigue to play with my Son and we've had a few rounds now. I love it. We are sticking to the same 10 kingdom cards so he really gets the concept and isn't having to think about what different cards do.

I'm happy that he's managing it at all, he's only just turned 7 so I knew it was a gamble.

Just got to try and convince the wife to learn it (she's angry I didn't buy Game of Life).

Oh, and Zombie dice is a hit as well, the only problem for Ben is that his 4 year old sister keeps winning.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• speedofthepuma 25 Apr 2013 00:07:32 13,293 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just played a game of Dominian with Ben, who has found a neat little tactic where he is almost unbeatable unless I do the same.. Brilliant!

Edited by speedofthepuma at 00:07:55 25-04-2013

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• fillip 25 Apr 2013 06:49:46 893 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @speedofthepuma Does it involve buying no action cards and just picking up money and VP?
  • LeoliansBro 25 Apr 2013 10:00:44 44,411 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, tried a few games last night:

Dixit. happy little card based guessing game where the object is to get some, but not all of your opponents to pick out the card you'd hidden amongst theirs. Recommended.

Coup. You could play this with a deck of playing cards and some counters. Absolutely brilliant, fast paced and nasty game of bluff and counterbluff and counter-counter-bluff and so it goes on. Games only last five or so minutes, really should be tried.

Jackal and something. Fun dice based card getting game. Ok but forgettable.

Sobak. Egyptian themed set-collection card game. Didn't really grab me.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• andytheadequate 25 Apr 2013 10:49:49 8,213 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I received 7 wonders for my birthday, not played it yet but had a read of the rules and it sounds brilliant.

I also bought myself twilight struggle
  • Alastair 25 Apr 2013 10:55:17 15,879 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Dixit. happy little card based guessing game where the object is to get some, but not all of your opponents to pick out the card you'd hidden amongst theirs. Recommended.
    Yep, I've played this a few times. Not all of our boardgame crew liked it though. It's a bit too abstract for some.
  • andytheadequate 25 Apr 2013 10:57:29 8,213 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I had my first go of memoir 44 the other day too. It's a very traditional game but fast paced and easy to pick up. I played against an experienced played so took a bit of a kicking though...
  • AccidentProne 25 Apr 2013 11:31:32 1,164 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Sobak. Egyptian themed set-collection card game. Didn't really grab me.
    Not heard of that one, but your description sounds a lot like Archaeology, which I think is a great little card game.
  • Tomo 27 Apr 2013 11:26:13 13,926 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ticket to Ride Europe is free on iOS today everyone!

Let me know your usernames if you fancy a game.
  • 4gate 27 Apr 2013 11:37:40 362 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    I had my first go of memoir 44 the other day too. It's a very traditional game but fast paced and easy to pick up. I played against an experienced played so took a bit of a kicking though...
    Easy to balance for first timers, when I've played my kids or mates for the first game, I give them an extra unit, so with it being so simple to pick up they've got a good chance of winning, and do. Great game.
  • ZuluHero 27 Apr 2013 11:42:42 4,175 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My boardgame regulars getting together tomorrow night for 7 wonders plus expansion and wiz war tomorrow night. Looking forward to it, as its been about 2 weeks since our last game night! Not tried the 7 wonders expansion yet so its gonna be fun to have new stuff to play with :)
  • AccidentProne 27 Apr 2013 11:45:02 1,164 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Ticket to Ride Europe is free on iOS today everyone!

Let me know your usernames if you fancy a game.
    Nice one, cheers for the heads up.
  • repairmanjack 27 Apr 2013 12:27:38 6,052 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No gaming for two weeks now (for which I blame an addiction to Defiance on the 360 - and my partner's sudden addiction to garden centres...)

Hoping for a game of something later. Could be London, which is always popular, but we've picked up Last Night on Earth, The Coast expansion to A Touch of Evil and the "HD" re-release of Arctic Scavengers (a Dominion-toppler, supposedly, with the point to survive after a lethal global ice-age). Word of mouth on the latter has been quite something.

Got a pre-order in for a rare sighting of Police Precinct (at Leisure Games, and it's likely to be near impossible to get hold of in the indefinite future; the company have huge issues shipping anything outside the US.) Terra Mystica hits next week, but I can't make up my mind on it - oddly I keep comparing it to Dominant Species, something else I'm not sure if I need. Plus: almost ordered a copy of Zpocalypse, which seems more thematic and story-driven than Zombiecide.

Three weeks on, and I'm still waiting for Queen Games to acknowledge at least one of my emails about missing components in my copy of Kingdom Builder. I don't care what they release in future, they're not getting any more of my cash. Loads of complaints about their customer support on BGG.

As to whoever asked why I like Love Letter so much: I'm not sure, exactly, but anything that is that quick, fun and prone to (occasional) bouts of strategy and deduction - and which my daughter loves - is a keeper here.
  • Page

of 131 First / Last