Boardgames anyone? Page 64

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• fillip 2 Apr 2013 10:32:33 890 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    All this Ecipse talk has made me put my order in this morning. 56 delivered on Amazon if anyone else is thinking about it. Cheapest I've seen it in a while.
  • AccidentProne 2 Apr 2013 10:54:25 1,163 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It is bloody marvelous, you won't regret it.
  • repairmanjack 2 Apr 2013 13:52:20 6,042 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Relic just arrived! Kingdom Builder and Love Letter in the mail.
  • ZuluHero 2 Apr 2013 16:27:37 4,145 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Playing "Race for the Galaxy" this weekend - anyone played it?

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/28143/race-for-the-galaxy
  • repairmanjack 2 Apr 2013 17:30:27 6,042 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Race for the Galaxy rules and tutorial

Anyone wanting to learn the game should give that a watch. Then email the link to anyone you want to teach it to. I wouldn't be playing it now without this vid.
  • ZuluHero 2 Apr 2013 18:18:24 4,145 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks repairman :)
  • AccidentProne 2 Apr 2013 19:19:21 1,163 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's probably our groups most played game, some of my friends have over 100 plays!

Found it hard going to learn at first, as they were playing with all the expansions and as mentioned on the last page, some of the icons are a bit iffy. Stripped back to the base game, it didn't take too long to get the hang of though.
  • repairmanjack 2 Apr 2013 19:25:48 6,042 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @ZuluHero You're welcome. Enjoy; it's a superb game.

In other news, the board for Relic is just stunning!

And... the missus has asked for another game of London tonight. Looks like we have a new favourite.
  • RichieTenenbaum 4 Apr 2013 22:42:49 2,209 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    London arrived today. Flicked through the manual. Looks a bit dry but will give it a go. My dad and me are really enjoying Pandemic at the mo.

I have to say, though, the boardgame I can play with anyone is 221B Baker Street. Even non gamers have loved it so far.
  • repairmanjack 4 Apr 2013 22:57:29 6,042 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yup, London looks dry but it gets really compelling after a few rounds.

Kingdom Builder turned up today! Minus one of the bloody game boards. Sigh.
  • Tomo 5 Apr 2013 12:32:04 13,910 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Played our first game of Robinson Crusoe last night. Technically, we started the previous night but the manual is so bad and the rules so complex that we restarted. We eventually watched a 90 minute YouTube video of someone playing it.

Christ, I thought I'd put my friends off board games for life when I attempted to decipher the rules, but fortunately they stuck with it and we got to understand the game.

In the end, we actually won our first game. It's notoriously difficult, but it seemed a bit easy. I think we had a lot of luck with cards and such mind. That said, I almost got myself killed in our final round when I insisted on hunting a tiger for no reason, other than to slay another beast. My friends weren't best pleased!

Good game then, but the manual is bulletproof at the moment.
  • repairmanjack 5 Apr 2013 13:10:31 6,042 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Toughest thing I've learned to play: Pax Porfiriana. The rules are a cryptogram (written by Phil Eklund, this is par for the course, apparently). It's a fantastic game, but I'd almost given up hope of learning it.

Even the pros are wary of trying to teach it; thetre's almost no instructional tutorials on it anywhere.

Edited by repairmanjack at 13:14:26 05-04-2013
  • repairmanjack 6 Apr 2013 03:22:58 6,042 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    First game of Relic just drawn to a close... how did it get to be three am!? Fantastic evening, and a win for me. Will post a few impressions in the morning, if anyone else is curious about this one.
  • Nemesis 6 Apr 2013 08:41:29 18,648 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Go for it !
  • Deleted user 6 April 2013 10:11:39
    I am shit at Risk: Legacy

:' (
  • Nemesis 6 Apr 2013 10:54:08 18,648 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Our group (we work together) have a big meeting next week....so Zombie Dice is being smuggled in. Anything else we can sneak in that you can think of?
  • repairmanjack 6 Apr 2013 11:50:40 6,042 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok, first game of Relic was a two-player. We picked our characters, I had the sniper with some ability to sneak around conflicts (which I forgot about until the end of the game) and my pal had the troll-like slab of meat whose name currently escapes me (always has one power; strongest character, etc.) Game took between three and four hours, with a few gaps - and plenty of laps around the huge, gorgeous board, to get a handle on what some of the spaces did.

We loved it.

The artwork is amazing; some of the best I've seen for a board game. You're playing Talisman, in spirit, but there's so much more to this that I think even people who hate roll and move will see past it. Dice do what dice do and, for all your best laid plans, sometimes you just won't get that roll you need. But there are factors that can mitigate your luck; cards you can play instead of dice rolls (for either movement or combat), plus you'll have plenty of modifiers in the gear you can pick up. (It's generous in this regard, too, Troll-boy had eight assets he could exploit).

I haven't played Talisman since the late 80's second edition, so I can't completely judge it against the game everyone plays these days, but there's plenty to do here (missions for your characters; trading your successes for uber-powerful relics and character levels) and we happily didn't have a runaway leader.

I almost came a cropper by drawing out several enemies that inflicted me with corruption (fatal if you get six points). After drawing my fifth point I had to make an early run into the middle tier of the board, to shake off some of the curses with prayer. (And I couldn't stay there too long, had to get back out to slightly safer regions.)

We both hit maximum level, although I was surprisingly more adept at combat for most of the game; my pal was picking his battles carefully (aiming for mainly strength targets) but kept fluking some nice event or equipment cards instead of combat. In the end, I plunged quickly into the centre of the board, following a run of good mission cards and relic rewards and battled to the win on my first attempt.

Still grinning about it all, and I'm fairly sure it's getting set up again before the weekend is out. So pleased I fell off the right side of the fence on this one.
  • RichieTenenbaum 6 Apr 2013 23:02:38 2,209 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    London was a disaster with my dad. He just had this look of utter confusion all the way through and clearly didn't care at all.

He said it was a game for accountants, baffling, rubbish and confusing.

I liked it. One for the game players, I think.
  • speedofthepuma 6 Apr 2013 23:24:38 13,299 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Got a couple of iOS board games now, just to learn the rules and decide which one is best to buy for me and my Son. Settlers of Catan is excellent, but the iOS version is annoyingly rubbish as multiplayer, with only a pass and play option, effectively breaking it. Just got carcassonne, and I'm struggling with it at the moment. Thinking we will go for Ticket to Ride (perhaps the Europe edition as I think he has the standard edition mastered now) or Catan.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• fillip 7 Apr 2013 17:05:33 890 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have found TtR to be the best 'family' game. By best I mean, is more often a hit with a wide cross section of people. I enjoy all three but have found that some people dislike Catan and Carcasonne.

I've also found Finca to be a good game for the same crowd. People just like all of the wooden fruit.
  • repairmanjack 8 Apr 2013 10:16:41 6,042 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks to youtube tutorials (the Ricky Royal one is excellent), I'm now playing Mage Knight correctly. Much like Arkham Horror, you've just got to be aware of the management of everything; mechanically it's not that tough to play.

It's worth the initial grief though; phenomenal game.
  • AccidentProne 9 Apr 2013 16:06:46 1,163 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just ordered Mage Knight as I wanted a decent solo game and apparently this fits the bill. Getting a bit bored of Death Angel constantly kicking my arse, still haven't beaten the thing...

Played an awesome game at the weekend, Dungeon Lords. It's by the same designer as Mage Knight and is basically the board game version of Dungeon Keeper. It's a pretty complex Euro game with some worker placement and puzzling, but the theme is loads of fun with some great artwork.
  • repairmanjack 9 Apr 2013 16:13:02 6,042 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Been asked to bring a game to a small reunion tonight. Five players; all novices. Considering 7 Wonders... and Cards Against Humanity.
  • disusedgenius 9 Apr 2013 16:21:51 5,315 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can King of Tokyo go up to 5? If so, that.
  • andytheadequate 9 Apr 2013 16:27:57 8,169 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've asked for 7 Wonders for my birthday. Is it any good?
  • McGeeza 10 Apr 2013 16:04:04 935 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a good family game. A group of gamers will get tired of it fairly quickly though IMO.
  • phAge 10 Apr 2013 16:52:34 24,371 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just put Dreadball on my b-day wishlist. Not entirely sure who I'll play it with, but I like how it looks, the reviews are mostly great - and I quite fancy painting up the teams.

Anyone tried it?
  • daft 10 Apr 2013 17:55:42 554 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Got Pandemic today. Hopefully we'll be able to give it a whirl on Friday.
  • tincanrocket 11 Apr 2013 13:32:20 2,987 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Any EGers in Oxford fancy a board game meet up? I have a venue in mind that I think would work (it serves beer and food - it's a pub), and a few games I could supply (Spartacus, London, King of Tokyo and a few older ones). I'd like to sort out something regular-ish, so PM me if interested.

/stealth 'I have no friends' post
  • andytheadequate 11 Apr 2013 17:34:00 8,169 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There has been talk of "geek meets" before, but everyone seems to live miles away from one another.

Has anyone played Twilight Struggle?
  • Page

of 130 First / Last