Boardgames anyone? Page 62

• Page

of 126 First / Last

• repairmanjack 22 Mar 2013 22:32:04 6,024 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    fillip wrote:
    Does anyone on here use the BGG collection thing and actually rate their games? There seem to be a few people with similar tastes or a lot of games (I'm looking at you repairmanjack) who I wouldn't mind browsing through their games for inspiration.

Anyone want to share their ID's?
    Mine's the same as it is here. Browse away!
  • repairmanjack 22 Mar 2013 22:34:54 6,024 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    McGeeza wrote:
    fillip wrote:
    Does anyone on here use the BGG collection thing and actually rate their games? There seem to be a few people with similar tastes or a lot of games (I'm looking at you repairmanjack) who I wouldn't mind browsing through their games for inspiration.

Anyone want to share their ID's?
    Same ID as here.
    Nice to see another House Batiatus geek badge. :)
  • bigshaba 23 Mar 2013 02:38:12 10 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Anyone remember Talisman? I think it was a games workshop game from back in the day.
  • jaxon58 23 Mar 2013 09:43:57 2,421 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I remember Talisman well! Played it about 20 years ago and loved it.

I now have the pleasure of working on the digital version for iOS and PC.
  • repairmanjack 23 Mar 2013 12:30:39 6,024 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bigshaba wrote:
    Anyone remember Talisman? I think it was a games workshop game from back in the day.
    My mint condition second-edition is sitting three feet from me. :)

Very tempted to fire up a game this pm (first time since the 80s!) as all this Relic talk has piqued my interest again.
  • Nemesis 23 Mar 2013 12:40:34 18,610 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gonna take Zombie Dice for a spin tonight !
  • mikeck 25 Mar 2013 11:52:53 1,934 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Played two games of Talisman yesterday afternoon (six of us playing), was absolutely brilliant. Came quite close in my first game too, second game I had a mare - but it was still great fun.

Next month we're going to move onto Descent, and then the following month is City of Horror. Really nice that we've now got a regular monthly slot for geeky board games :p
  • cubbymoore 25 Mar 2013 14:15:06 36,488 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We have a slot every Sunday now. Although so far it is mostly Carcassonne based.
  • andytheadequate 25 Mar 2013 14:26:50 8,136 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm thinking of asking for a board game for my birthday, but not sure which. Can anyone offer suggestions?

Games I have:
    Catan
    Axis and allies
    Small worlds
    Dday dice

Games my friends have that I already play:
    Ticket to ride Europe
    Carcassonne
    Diplomacy

I generally don't like fantasy settings, especially zombies, although could be convinced otherwise. I don't really like Risk. Most games I play are 3 player, although I prefer to have the option of more players too. I enjoy games that require negotiation, pike catan and diplomacy
  • fillip 25 Mar 2013 14:42:19 890 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @andytheadequate Spartacus or Cosmic Encounter if negotiation and bluffing is your thing. Take a look at Cyclades as it is something 'similar but different' to other games in your collection. If you were to go outside your comfort zone you seem to be missing anything with a worker placement element, although these tend to have limited interaction, yet alone negotiation, in them. Still, Lords of Waterdeep is a nice, cheap example if the lighter end of worker placement. Plays well with anything from 2-5 I found.
  • AccidentProne 25 Mar 2013 14:44:22 1,162 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Civilization? There's some negotiation involved, though not to the extent of Catan or Diplomacy. Only played it a few times though, as it's pretty epic and takes a while (especially as we forget how combat works each time...). Hoping to get a few more plays in soon, but everyone seems to want to play Eclipse instead at the moment. That might be worth looking at too, if you don't mind the sci-fi setting.
  • andytheadequate 25 Mar 2013 15:31:32 8,136 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I tend not to play longer games as often, I love Axis and Allies but games can last 6 hours so I rarely play it now. I will have a look at the others.

Is Agrocola a worker placement game? That has tempted me in the past. Any thoughts on that?
  • AccidentProne 25 Mar 2013 15:52:03 1,162 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, Agricola's a worker placement game, probably my favourite. Very highly rated on BGG too.
  • McGeeza 25 Mar 2013 16:14:16 933 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Most games I play are 3 player, although I prefer to have the option of more players too. I enjoy games that require negotiation, pike catan and diplomacy
    Tricky, as most decent negotiation games require a decent amount of players.

I would second the vote for Lords of Waterdeep, for a first worker placement game. Agricola might be a bit heavy, if you've never played one before.
  • AccidentProne 25 Mar 2013 16:19:46 1,162 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    True, I found it hard going at first to be honest. It can be played solo though, which might help with learning the game before teaching the rest of your group.

Haven't actually played Waterdeep. We used Stone Age as a light worker placement game initially, though I think that's probably been sidelined in favour of Agricola now.
  • andytheadequate 25 Mar 2013 16:22:24 8,136 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I will look into agricola. How long do games generally last? And how many players is it?
  • andytheadequate 25 Mar 2013 16:29:23 8,136 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Are there any decent co op games, preferably competitive co op? Dday dice is one of my favourite games at the moment because there is so much open discussion, rather than keeping your tactics to yourself until the end of the game
  • AccidentProne 25 Mar 2013 18:24:54 1,162 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Agricola can last a few hours. Our last game was really long as we were teaching a couple who were new to it. That was with five players (the max I think) and we were all drinking, which didn't help speed things up.

Arkham Horror is probably my favourite co-op game, though that's not competitive. I love Battlestar Galactica too, which has competitive co-op in a way, though you won't always know who's on your team. Unfortunately, my mates can't stand the game, so we never play anymore.
  • Nemesis 25 Mar 2013 19:51:36 18,610 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think Tabletop had it spot on with Zombie Dice; it's a game between bigger games.

Nice and easy to setup and play, almost like a starter before the main course. Also, portable, so if you're going out with mates to a dull event you can always smuggle it along.

As an anecdote, I did this with Munchkin and, whilst a ton of fun for us at the table, it was a sod to keep track of. Next time I'm taking Zombie Dice. It also means others can join in as it's all very easy to play.

Edited by Nemesis at 19:52:26 25-03-2013
  • repairmanjack 25 Mar 2013 20:10:33 6,024 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Taught the missus London this weekend, which is already declared her new favourite game. Really liking this one more and more. Haven't had a bad result yet with non-gamers. They just get it. Which is great.

Next up, another Martin Wallace game - which has already been recommended here: A Few Acres of Snow. Took a while to get to grips with it (despite being very familiar with Dominion now) and I think this is going to be a go to game for some time to come. Seems to be a lot of strategic options, all set against the whim of the deck each of you builds.

Naturally, having finally played it, I blunder onto the unbreakable strategy that effectively ruined the first edition - great work, BGG prick who posted it without warning. Don't look it up, but do take a look at the game.

Also played Innovation. Nice enough but goes on too long for what it is. Wouldn't want to play with more than two either.

Tried learning the rules to Twilight Struggle. Think I need more sleep first.
  • fillip 25 Mar 2013 20:12:18 890 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @repairmanjack Do you play 2P variant with two players in London?
  • repairmanjack 25 Mar 2013 22:45:20 6,024 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @fillip Haven't played with a variant. Wallace intended the game to work as is for two-player. There are a couple of amendments you can make, according to BGG, but I decided I'd rather learn the game as intended before I start screwing around with it.

It works fine as it is; there's still an element of interaction which remains regardless... the main difference will be you can buy more boroughs - which might take some pressure of the poverty cubes. (Although in a 2P game, they're still an important factor.)

Need to teach Age of Industry next, and get a three or four player game running. We've got a couple of my fiancee pals have actually asked to come around for a game night soon (surprisingly easy to recruit geeks these days), but I'm more inclined to go with Spartacus and Cards Against Humanity with four players available.
  • repairmanjack 25 Mar 2013 22:47:56 6,024 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    In other news, my fiancee is officially the only person I know who doesn't like Dominion. Just doesn't see the point to it, apparently.

And I think she's paying more attention to the (swollen) shelves than I first realised. Asking questions about the sci-fi stuff... interested in learning Android: Netrunner (once I've got it down pat) and Infiltration (another fun game from last year, set in the same universe).
  • andytheadequate 25 Mar 2013 23:10:45 8,136 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My girlfriend thinks I'm a huge geek who needs to grow up, the most she can manage is cluedo...

To be fair, she's probably right!
  • TheRealBadabing 26 Mar 2013 06:51:35 1,300 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @andytheadequate No, no she's not. Dump her or before you know it all you will be allowed to do is sit on the sofa watching TOWIE repeats while she finishes off a Toblerone as big as her forearm.

In other news, just ordered Catan Junio(u)r and Zombie Dice to play with my daughter. Mum approves so yay!
  • Alastair 26 Mar 2013 19:02:23 15,615 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @andytheadequate Dominion! Have you played it?
    I'm loving it more and more. Had my first game of Seaside this week.

Not as nice as I used to be

• andytheadequate 26 Mar 2013 19:36:43 8,136 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nope, but it's another on my list to have a look at it...

And to be fair, it's me eating the toblerone the size of my forearm, usually whilst playing games...
  • Nemesis 26 Mar 2013 21:14:08 18,610 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TheRealBadabing wrote:
    @andytheadequate No, no she's not. Dump her or before you know it all you will be allowed to do is sit on the sofa watching TOWIE repeats while she finishes off a Toblerone as big as her forearm.

In other news, just ordered Catan Junio(u)r and Zombie Dice to play with my daughter. Mum approves so yay!
    Catan junior; I'll have a looksie!

(Sorry to jump in on the conversation, by the way )

Edited by Nemesis at 22:48:33 26-03-2013
  • RedSparrows 27 Mar 2013 21:44:55 22,351 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Quick!

Recommend a decent 2+ player (but fun with 2) boardgame that involves something like planes, trains and automobiles, or excessive capitalism (i.e. golden age of travel, 1920s-1930s, or making uber moolah and being ostentatious) that doesn't require hours and hours or loads of boardgame expertise.

TA HIVEMIND!
  • andytheadequate 27 Mar 2013 21:50:55 8,136 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ticket to ride sounds perfect. The Europe edition is slightly more complicated but both are fairly simple. You are competing railway companies trying to connect as many cities up as they can, and it's set in the 1920s I believe.

I've played 2 player and enjoyed it, although it is better with more. As it's fairly simple, it's a pretty good introduction to board games
  • Page

of 126 First / Last