Boardgames anyone? Page 61

• Page

of 125 First / Last

• repairmanjack 19 Mar 2013 21:27:08 6,011 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Looks like RELIC, the Talisman/Warhammer 40K hybrid, is hitting stores this week. Anyone else curious? Haven't played Talisman since the second edition (still have it!) and I'm not an expert on 40K. Can't decide if the board is gorgeous or insanely cluttered.

Waiting on reviews, I think. May even dust off Talisman in the interim.
  • Tomo 20 Mar 2013 10:46:10 13,888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Space Cadets has arrived!

Crusoe next week!

:x
  • speedofthepuma 20 Mar 2013 11:41:28 13,283 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So Ben and I played 4 games of Ticket to Ride this morning on IOS and it was great! Any other good board games made that transition?

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• andytheadequate 20 Mar 2013 17:12:45 8,116 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Carcassonne, small worlds, settlers of catan are all on IOS, I believe
  • repairmanjack 20 Mar 2013 21:52:09 6,011 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    God damn it, Relic, stop looking so bloody gorgeous!
  • spamdangled 20 Mar 2013 23:22:59 27,276 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just played Spartacus.

I enjoyed this a hell of a lot more than I was expecting to, to be honest.

It's fairly simple, with a bit of intrigue, some bartering, etc. Players wager on the outcome of fights, place gladiators in the arena for battle to gain influence.

It's a bit late for a detailed review right now, but I recommend it a lot. I've never seen the TV Show, but you definitely don't need to have done. It could have been un-licensed and would still have been an excellent game in its own right.

8/10

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• McGeeza 21 Mar 2013 17:06:25 933 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Quinns has just listed 1812 (a game I recommended a few pages back) as one of his top five team games.

http://kotaku.com/5991483/youre-with-me-5-team-board-games-you-should-play

He says it requires exactly 5 players, but I think it plays really well with 2,3 or 4 too. The more the merrier of course, but still a great game at any number of players.

Surely someone else has played it? Completely overlooked if not.

Edited by McGeeza at 17:06:49 21-03-2013
  • thrawn 21 Mar 2013 19:15:57 892 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Got a big gaming day planned for Good Friday. So far we're going for Game of Thrones and Descent. I've just ordered Small World as I've heard good things about it.

And lastly we're going to play Drunk Quest. Everyone is bringing a mini-keg of their favourite ale. It could get very, very messy.
  • speedofthepuma 21 Mar 2013 19:40:24 13,283 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Carcassonne, small worlds, settlers of catan are all on IOS, I believe
    Cheers Andy.

• AccidentProne 21 Mar 2013 19:54:51 1,162 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Neuroshima Hex is a pretty decent iOS game now, though it took them a while to get it right. The same company are putting out an iOS version of Eclipse any day soon too, looking forward to that.

Elder Sign is another good one, but only single player, so might not be what you're after. It's a bit easy to beat as well, but it scratched my Arkham itch for a while.

LeHavre is supposed to be a good game, but on my iPhone seems a bit fiddly, might be worth a look on an iPad though.
  • speedofthepuma 21 Mar 2013 19:56:08 13,283 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks AP.

Love this thread

• Deleted user 21 March 2013 21:03:02
    Anybody got a reccomendation for a modern day boardgame in the style of HeroQuest? I used to play it with my step brothers back in the day and looking to rekindle some of that magic when I go to visit them next week.
  • AccidentProne 21 Mar 2013 21:16:35 1,162 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Used to love heroquest / advanced heroquest too.

In a similar vein, Descent might be worth a try, though I'd go with the second edition. Some of the D&D games (Ravenloft etc.) might be worth looking at too, though I've not played any of them yet.
  • Deleted user 21 March 2013 21:30:11
    Nice one, Descent looks ideal to me, my step bros are going to be stoked! Thanks for the reply
  • thrawn 21 Mar 2013 21:33:56 892 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TearYouAsunder wrote:
    Nice one, Descent looks ideal to me, my step bros are going to be stoked! Thanks for the reply
    Descent is very good. If you liked Hero Quest you'll love it.

The DnD games are also good, but personally I prefer Descent. It has a bit more depth to it.
  • riz23 21 Mar 2013 21:39:40 1,256 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @speedofthepuma I also recommend Dominant Species & Caylus on iOS
  • riz23 21 Mar 2013 21:41:49 1,256 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    McGeeza wrote:
    Quinns has just listed 1812 (a game I recommended a few pages back) as one of his top five team games.

http://kotaku.com/5991483/youre-with-me-5-team-board-games-you-should-play

He says it requires exactly 5 players, but I think it plays really well with 2,3 or 4 too. The more the merrier of course, but still a great game at any number of players.

Surely someone else has played it? Completely overlooked if not.
    That Ladies & Gentlemen game he mentions looks great! I'll be picking that one up. Comes out next week I think.
  • fillip 22 Mar 2013 11:01:36 890 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Does anyone on here use the BGG collection thing and actually rate their games? There seem to be a few people with similar tastes or a lot of games (I'm looking at you repairmanjack) who I wouldn't mind browsing through their games for inspiration.

Anyone want to share their ID's?
  • mikeck 22 Mar 2013 11:39:45 1,932 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This Sunday afternoon six of us are going to play Talisman - it'll be my first time, really looking forward to geeking out with this game over a few relaxed beers :)

One of my mates has also bought the XWING game for our next board games afternoon next month.
  • AccidentProne 22 Mar 2013 11:53:40 1,162 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @fillip My collection is severely limited at the moment, mainly in thanks to the ridiculous amount of games owned by my friends. Most of which we never get time to play anyway.

Happy to add a few more friends on there though, here's me.
  • McGeeza 22 Mar 2013 13:07:12 933 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    LeHavre is supposed to be a good game, but on my iPhone seems a bit fiddly, might be worth a look on an iPad though.
    it's still a bit fiddly on iPad and a little bit dry against the AI. I wouldn't bother unless you're a fan.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 22 Mar 2013 13:10:31 25,597 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I really want Relic. Roll on payday.

Only downer is the character pieces. You'd have thought GW would have at least supplied some proper miniatures.
  • McGeeza 22 Mar 2013 13:10:37 933 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    fillip wrote:
    Does anyone on here use the BGG collection thing and actually rate their games? There seem to be a few people with similar tastes or a lot of games (I'm looking at you repairmanjack) who I wouldn't mind browsing through their games for inspiration.

Anyone want to share their ID's?
    Same ID as here.
  • McGeeza 22 Mar 2013 13:11:31 933 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mikeck wrote:
    This Sunday afternoon six of us are going to play Talisman - it'll be my first time, really looking forward to geeking out with this game over a few relaxed beers :)

One of my mates has also bought the XWING game for our next board games afternoon next month.
    Talisman is a classic, but be prepared for a 6 hour game with 6 players.
  • McGeeza 22 Mar 2013 13:13:55 933 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    I really want Relic. Roll on payday.

Only downer is the character pieces. You'd have thought GW would have at least supplied some proper miniatures.
    I believe it's part of the deal with FFG that they can't include any 25mm 40k figures in their GW games, unfortunately.

I assume it's because they don't want people buying the board games just for the figures.

Mental, I know, but that's GW for you.
  • Lotos8ter 22 Mar 2013 13:42:13 2,355 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My copy of Pandemic has just turned up from Amazon as an early birthday present to myself. Going to sit the girls down and give it a go tonight

/hope that doesn't sound wrong

Fiat Lux

• mikeck 22 Mar 2013 13:43:47 1,932 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    McGeeza wrote:
    mikeck wrote:

Talisman is a classic, but be prepared for a 6 hour game with 6 players.
    Sounds perfect, we're starting at midday so have all afternoon ;)
  • StarchildHypocrethes 22 Mar 2013 13:43:52 25,597 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    McGeeza wrote:
    I believe it's part of the deal with FFG that they can't include any 25mm 40k figures in their GW games, unfortunately.

I assume it's because they don't want people buying the board games just for the figures.

Mental, I know, but that's GW for you.
    That would be one expensive way to build a 40k army...
  • mikeck 22 Mar 2013 13:45:11 1,932 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I also really want to get Blood Bowl too - used to love playing that when I was younger.
  • Tomo 22 Mar 2013 19:14:28 13,888 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My BGG profile is tomonaldo fwiw, not that I've done much with it other than started a wishlist.

Played my first rounds of Love Letter last night. 2-player. It's a cracking little game! We picked it up within about 3 minutes of opening and ended up playing 3 games. They're about 15-20 mins each. It's a little bit like poker in that you know what's been removed from the pack. Keeping track of probabilities is much easier though as there are only 16 cards. Fairly regularly you have to make a painful decision or two, but the rounds are short so you don't feel stitched up for too long if you made the wrong choice. And one really fun aspect of it is bluffing which a couple of the cards allow you to do.

I'm intrigued to try it 3-player as I imagine it's very different, but as a relief after a 2 hour boardgame, I can see this being played a lot.
  • Page

of 125 First / Last