Boardgames anyone? Page 59

• Page

of 130 First / Last

• speedofthepuma 11 Mar 2013 00:04:25 13,299 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks any, looking into it now.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• repairmanjack 11 Mar 2013 00:38:45 6,048 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Speed - take a look at Kingdom Builder, too. It's very accessible for families, with some strategy for those who try to dig a little deeper. I don't yet own it but often see it mentioned in reccomendation threads on the Geek. Ticket to Ride would be a charm, too - although I personally find it a little dull.
  • spamdangled 11 Mar 2013 00:50:52 27,355 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Ticket to ride is a very simple game to pick up, especially the original one (set in America)
    I second this, Ticket to ride is a fantastic game as a starter. Hell, it's a fantastic game full-stop. Minimal set-up time and very easy to learn. You might want to spend a couple of quid getting the ios digital version on the app store first to see if it's something you'd like before plopping down 35 notes for the actual physical game though.

Edited by darkmorgado at 00:51:39 11-03-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• TheRealBadabing 11 Mar 2013 00:53:05 1,314 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not exactly a "proper" board game but King of Tokyo is a lot of fun. My 6 year old daughter is a fan if that helps. Dungeon! is a classic too; quite basic but easy to learn and can be role-played to a certain extent.
  • speedofthepuma 11 Mar 2013 01:00:33 13,299 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks everyone.

• spamdangled 11 Mar 2013 01:10:32 27,355 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just finished playing Android for the first time.

Setup time - about 15-20 minutes (separating card decks, placing tokens depending on the story card that is drawn, etc)

Playtime: Our first game took us 4.5 hours.

Complexity: Very Advanced

Overall impressions
    : I liked Android. A word of warning though - it definitely earns its reputation as being a very complex game. There is a LOT to keep track of and consider, both during your own turn and during other players'. This is good in that you have lots of options, but it can also be very confusing.

The board itself is gorgeous, and the presentation, as to be expected from a Fantasy Flight game, is top-notch - there's a lot of nice artwork, flavour text, etc etc.

It's absolutely not something you would want to pull out with someone who is new to board games, or recommend to them as a first purchase. It is likely to frustrate them, or even put them off the entire hobby due to its complexity.

It also carries on the sad tradition of really crappy box inserts. There are a LOT of cards, and a shitload of different tokens, but nowhere in the box to keep them neatly separated.

In my opinion, it definitely needs a second edition - there are some glaring issues which make things a bit fiddly. Some cards say "[character X] enters play". However, the token for those characters are not named, nor is there a guide in the manual for what each character looks like. This gets VERY annoying. A simple picture portrait on those cards of that character, or a small text box on their token with their name, would eliminate that entirely. In addition, many of the cards (all are standard sized) have huge blank areas. The game would take up much less table space if some of the decks were reduced to the "mini" card size (as seen in arkham horror and many other FF games). If you think AH takes up a lot of table space, this might drive you nuts. Some of the rules could do with streamlining as well to make them less confusing, as we found ourselves constantly referencing the manual to check what certain cards and/or locations on the board did - when the manual is already 50 pages long, this can prolong play sessions when there are so many different mechanics to keep track of. Also, each player is given a ruler to work out where they can travel in their turn (some characters can move further than others). I can't help but think there's a way this could have been done without having to measure spaces on the board.

Overall though, I liked it. It's definitely not for everyone, and even taking into account that subsequent playthroughs will be shorter than the first (due to knowing the rules), it's one you need to set aside a good few hours for.

PROS: Excellent presentation, great theme, a gorgeous board, assymetrical player abilities, plenty of bluffing, huge amount of replayability, a lot of choices during your turn and multiple ways to score victory points.

CONS: Over-complex, crappy box insert, need a BIG table and a LOT of time.

Overall grade: B-

Edited by darkmorgado at 01:13:33 11-03-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 11 Mar 2013 01:11:29 27,355 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    TheRealBadabing wrote:
    Not exactly a "proper" board game but King of Tokyo is a lot of fun. My 6 year old daughter is a fan if that helps. Dungeon! is a classic too; quite basic but easy to learn and can be role-played to a certain extent.
    I played KOT the other week, it is indeed a lot of fun! Very fast to learn, and games are over inside 20 minutes or thereabouts.

• speedofthepuma 11 Mar 2013 01:20:47 13,299 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bought the IOS ticket to ride, will have ago with that first and take it from there.

• spamdangled 11 Mar 2013 01:23:16 27,355 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Let us know what you think dude :D

• Tomo 11 Mar 2013 01:27:48 13,917 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @repairmanjack

I have ordered it from a Marketplace seller on BGG. It's being shipped from the Netherlands, so it better be good! Was intrigued and when I realised it was pretty rare, thought I'd take a punt.
  • Tomo 11 Mar 2013 01:31:43 13,917 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @darkmorgado

Am intrigued by KoT... Can someone provide a summary? Is there much depth to it at all?
  • spamdangled 11 Mar 2013 01:47:54 27,355 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    @darkmorgado

Am intrigued by KoT... Can someone provide a summary? Is there much depth to it at all?
    Nah, it's pretty shallow really. Very much a "lite" game for when you have 15-20 minutes to kill.

Reviews can be found here

Edited by darkmorgado at 02:01:01 11-03-2013

• McGeeza 11 Mar 2013 14:50:48 935 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Someone posted this on F:AT. Brought back floods of memories:

http://fuckyeahbritisholdschoolgaming.tumblr.com/
  • Deleted user 11 March 2013 22:44:20
    KoT is great fun... buyyyyyy ittttttt
  • Bremenacht 11 Mar 2013 23:17:30 18,275 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    Bought the IOS ticket to ride, will have ago with that first and take it from there.
    Bought Ticket to Ride Europe as a family game over Christmas and it went down well. A little bit of a hoo-haa to begin with, if you haven't played a new boardgame in years, but it you won't need the rulebook anymore after the first 3 or 4 games. Not sure that it'll suit younger kids though.
  • S.J.Rogers 12 Mar 2013 08:44:24 3,557 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just ordered Tzolk'in as per the EG review. Looking forward to giving it a go..!

Been really enjoying Catan and got the Seafarers of Catan expansion at the weekend. Just need some people to play these games with now..! :(
  • McGeeza 12 Mar 2013 11:24:03 935 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Did you pay 50 for it from Amazon?

Cheaper here http://www.maddisongames.co.uk/games/TzolkinMayanCalendarGame.php?lpp=search&q=tzolkin&qc=0

I don't work for Maddison Games BTW. Just Anti Amazon at the moment :)

Edited by McGeeza at 11:27:48 12-03-2013
  • Tomo 14 Mar 2013 19:30:51 13,917 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got my copy of Love Letter through the post today. Comes in a lovely looking faux-velvet bag. Looking forward to giving it a crack!
  • Tomo 14 Mar 2013 20:50:27 13,917 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jesus, better be a good game. The cards are pretty flimsy, I've had sturdier bog roll ffs.
  • S.J.Rogers 15 Mar 2013 14:23:56 3,557 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just had Tzolk'in The Mayan Calendar delivered today..! \o/

Very excited to open the box and give it a go, does look a little complicated...
  • spamdangled 15 Mar 2013 14:25:40 27,355 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you're used to worker-placement games I imagine it should be pretty simple to pick up.

That said, I've never managed to get my head around La Havre.

• spamdangled 15 Mar 2013 14:29:36 27,355 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone tried Legend of Andor? It looks interesting and is getting a bit of buzz.

• S.J.Rogers 15 Mar 2013 14:53:13 3,557 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oooh, that does look good..!
  • andytheadequate 15 Mar 2013 16:18:39 8,181 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    nick-h wrote:
    I'm a bit board-game starved, but I have a fond appreciation for Cluedo. Once you get past the single-mindedness of investigation by elimination, there's a game within a game, of keeping track of other players' lines of enquiry and doing your best to throw other players off your own tracks.

By capitalising on the predictable patterns of other players, I was able to win a game after making three suggestions, and then able to tell the other players which cards each of them had.

I think Cluedo is a perfect game of intrigue, and that Hasbro butchered it by adding Chance Cards.
    I know a lot of people think its purely luck, but there is some skill to cluedo, along with trying to guess what your opponents have by how they behave. Probably my favourite 'family' board game.

Has anyone here played Diplomacy?
  • fillip 15 Mar 2013 20:36:20 891 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yep. Love Diplomacy. It's the stuff that happens around the game that makes it.

I've mainly played the game online. It's tough to get 7 people together for 6 hours only for the guy playing Austria to be eliminated in the first half hour.

We play a move a day online and the emails and exchanges that happen just make the game better to play than face to face. Really good fun with the right people.
  • andytheadequate 15 Mar 2013 21:14:04 8,181 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Never played it online, perhaps we should set up an EG diplomacy club if there is any interest...

Know what you mean about the problems of playing face to face. I played as Russia and was knocked out pretty early.
  • spamdangled 15 Mar 2013 21:27:49 27,355 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Never played it, but I know it's supposed to be very good. Anywhere I can get clued up on the rules?

• andytheadequate 15 Mar 2013 21:48:41 8,181 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The rules are really simple. Try the Wikipedia page for a basic idea of the game. Not sure where to find the proper rules though
  • fillip 16 Mar 2013 08:51:40 891 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You'll be able to pick up all the rules you need to know at http://www.playdiplomacy.com/

The rules are very simple, only a few map quirks you need to pick up on and a a few issues with convoys in certain circumstances.

The rules in the box make the game sound really complicated and confusing. My advice would be to learn the basics from the website above and then look up advice on certain specific situations during the game. http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/god.htm is good for the latter.

And I would be well up for an EG Dip game.

Edited by fillip at 08:52:28 16-03-2013
  • Page

of 130 First / Last