Boardgames anyone? Page 56

• Page

of 134 First / Last

• Nemesis 16 Feb 2013 15:39:57 18,680 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    We've been playing through Descent 2 in our group and....yeah.

On the plus side it's very easy to get running with, figures look spiffing....however on the minus side I'm not feeling any real sort of danger with it. Lose the level? OK, move on to the next scenario.....it's early days so we still need to get a couple more games in I think.

I'm not really that invested in my character at the moment, that's probably the issue if I'm honest. Still, it all looks and plays great.
  • phAge 16 Feb 2013 16:04:57 24,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We played quite a few games with the campaign expansion (Road to Legend), but that just added more ambiguities for the rules lawyers to latch onto, and bogged the game down no end with analysis paralysis on their end. Good thing I painted up those 80+ figures!
  • McGeeza 16 Feb 2013 16:16:33 952 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Descent 2nd rules have been massively streamlined. I guess your group wouldn't be up for giving 2nd a chance, which is a shame because you'd probably have a good time with it. The conversion kit adds a lot of variety too.
  • phAge 16 Feb 2013 16:30:51 24,411 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd be up for it, but if I had to spend money on another dungeoncrawler/RPG, I think I might go for Pathfinder instead. Already got Heroquest for the beer n' monsters gamenights. :)
  • Deleted user 16 February 2013 16:54:38
    glad people decided to pick up legacy; it really is a great game, even without all of the emergent / destructive stuff

@Rusty_M
    spoilers for the 3 missiles:

this is my second campaign of legacy, with different people. in my first the the fallout zone was in iceland, which never affected the game massively because no-one really majored in europe (too difficult to defend, too many borders.) hope the 3 missiles are played somewhere more crucial in this second campaign.

have people downloaded the print & play expansion from bgg that was released via a german boardgame magazine? it was designed by the original designer, and is totally canon. adds something interesting to the game but don't go read about it if you've not opened the minor cities pack
  • Deleted user 16 February 2013 16:55:17
    got a games night tonight; think I'm going to take king of tokyo, dominion (base, seaside & intrigue), and the resistance

7 wonders & ttr: europe will also be in play I think
  • Nemesis 16 Feb 2013 17:40:51 18,680 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    phAge wrote:
    I'd be up for it, but if I had to spend money on another dungeoncrawler/RPG, I think I might go for Pathfinder instead. Already got Heroquest for the beer n' monsters gamenights. :)
    I think we are much the same, HeroQuest just slots nicely into place for us.

Still....Descent again tomorrow and I'm doing the chilli. Talk about pressure !
  • darkmorgado 17 Feb 2013 02:02:08 15,585 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    For anyone who's got Risk Legacy - lift the plastic insert out of the box.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• andytheadequate 17 Feb 2013 02:33:15 8,315 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    cozeny wrote:
    got a games night tonight; think I'm going to take king of tokyo, dominion (base, seaside & intrigue), and the resistance

7 wonders & ttr: europe will also be in play I think
    ttr Europe is good fun. Have you played 7 wonders before? Seen a few reviews of it that were positive
  • Deleted user 17 February 2013 10:43:52
    yeah - it's really good. one of my favourites
  • Rusty_M 17 Feb 2013 11:23:57 4,864 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fozzie_bear wrote:
    For anyone who's got Risk Legacy - lift the plastic insert out of the box.
    I know. I'm undecided on that one. I'm almost scared of what I will find inside. Although it's one of two I have yet to open and we're only 8 games in. Opened the "place 30 troops and have a missile" box last night. The only one that remains is "open when the world capital is about to be placed". Placing it would currently be impossible for us.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.
    http://www.twitch.tv/rusty_the_robot
    http://twitter.com/Rusty_The_Robot

• repairmanjack 17 Feb 2013 11:28:47 6,071 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    First game of 7 Wonders last night. It's a good family game - not exactly complex (apart from people totalling up their scores, I suppose). Needs a fair bit of table space, even with just three playing.

Not sure it's not going to be a little too light for me in the long-run but others enjoyed it.

I've just unboxed Clash of Cultures. Need to wipe the drool off and give it a play. The representations of the cities expanding is such a clever detail. The player boards are top notch, too.

May get the rules on this down before Archipelago now.
  • S.J.Rogers 18 Feb 2013 08:45:24 3,557 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hello fellow EG Board Game players...

I am new to this but interested for advice and information.

The GF and i picked up The Settlers of Catan yesterday as a good beginners game and played a good game with a friend yesterday evening.
    Its a very good and easy game to learn but i can see it taking some time to get good at, although the GF seems good already as she kicked our asses.

I like the look of Bios Megafauna but i am not sure if this may be a little complicated and at £50+ its a big gamble to take..!

Any advise and info on these games or any other would be really appreciated... Thanks.
  • repairmanjack 18 Feb 2013 09:34:26 6,071 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I recognise the name, but can't recall much about the game itself. I do recall most people being down on Bios. Head over to www.boardgamegeek.com for just about anything you could ever want to know about the hobby - plus lots of recommendations.

Oh, take your wallet. You'll need it. :)
  • McGeeza 18 Feb 2013 10:19:36 952 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As Jack said, Bios doesn't look great from the BGG rankings (not that they should always be taken as the final word).

I would take it slowly if you have only played Settlers. Maybe look at stuff like Carcasonne or Lords of Waterdeep. One is a tile laying game and the other is worker placement so will give you a different experience to Settlers, whilst also being fairly cheap (under £30) and also still having fairly simple rules.

Check out the BGG rankings. Anything in the top 300 will be good, although not necessarily your cup o tea, so make sure you read a few reviews and the comments section for a game that catches your eye.

Also, if you haven't already, go and check out all the Shut Up and Sit Down videos and reviews for some inspiration

Edited by McGeeza at 10:27:18 18-02-2013
  • andytheadequate 18 Feb 2013 10:42:23 8,315 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @S.J.Rogers - Carcasossone is definitely worth looking at, as is Ticket to Ride Europe. Both simple games and fairly short play time but with a bit of hidden depth.

Currently my favourite board game is DDay Dice, which is a co-op game. Every person I've played it with so far has absolutely loved it. As it's a co-op game it's very social too, as you don't have to keep your strategy to yourself
  • RichieTenenbaum 18 Feb 2013 11:02:01 2,226 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    God, Carcasossone is so dull
  • RichieTenenbaum 18 Feb 2013 11:11:28 2,226 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'd recommend Lords Of Waterdeep

It's been really successful (more so than things like Galaxy Trucker) despite everyone in our group either being ambivalent too, or actively hating D&D
  • daft 18 Feb 2013 11:25:05 554 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Got back into board gaming after over a decade away by picking up X-Wing Miniatures last year. Played it frequently with my 7 year old and we both loved it. Very easy to just pick up and play. Then I spotted Zombicide a few weeks ago and couldn't help myself. I've played it three times so far, once alone to get the hang of it, once with two players and once with six player. It was a proper hit in all sessions.

For the six player session I got a few colleagues together and we ended up spending almost 6 hours on one scenario! Everyone had a blast and they are hounding me for more sessions. :) I think we all agreed that it played like a mix of a TV-show and video game. Heavily thematic (Zombies obviously), great minis and some properly awesome see-sawing action with fortunes quickly reversing. Throw in some epic successful dice rolls and (and failures) and all in all it's a great game if you like the theme and can take the "Ameritrash". ;)

After that I splurged on Arkham Horror and Mice & Mystics as well. M&M is really great for playing with the family. My son can't get enough. Arkham I've played with two players and it really is a great game once you get a hang of the rules. Especially if you like Lovecraft. Next up on the purchase list, Pandemic, Space Cadets and Battlestar Galactica.
  • S.J.Rogers 18 Feb 2013 11:34:16 3,557 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks everyone, all your help is greatly appreciated...

I will take a look at www.boardgamegeek.com and Carcasossone.

All i need now is some more friends, so far only 3 of us want to play. :(
  • elephantjuice 18 Feb 2013 12:01:18 773 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @daft

Mice and Mystics looks and sounds fantastic. I bought Forbidden Island a couple of weeks ago on a whim, fully expecting my non-gaming girlfriend not to show any interest whatsoever. We must have played around 10 times since then, weíve both really enjoyed it. Iíve been keeping my eye out for something with a bit more depth (but not too difficult to learn) and ideally co-op based and this seems to fit the bill nicely. The only downside is the price but it does seem like itíll be worth it.
  • Waffleaber 18 Feb 2013 12:31:09 447 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We played our first game of Lord of the Rings - The Card Game last night. Managed to beat the first scenario just about and had great fun doing so.

The game was wonderfully tense all the way through and could have gone either way right up until the last two turns.

Can't wait until tonight to try out some of the other decks.
  • daft 19 Feb 2013 18:46:06 554 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @elephantjuice

Yeah, I'm loving it! Big part of that is obviously the way my son has taken to it. He can't get enough of the story and is obsessed with the minis and the art which are very, very well done. Forbidden Island looks very interesting as well. As does Robinson Crusoe, also a co-op game.
  • spamdangled 19 Feb 2013 18:53:07 27,421 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Had our first 2 games of Risk: Legacy the other night. Absolutely loving it, and we're really getting into the spirit of it.

We're going to burn it in an old oil drum when we're done.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• repairmanjack 19 Feb 2013 20:15:44 6,071 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Robinson Crusoe is a fantastic experience - and probably as tough as trying to survive actually being shipwrecked. I'd say it was my favourite game of last year. And I bought enough of the buggers to make that mean something.

Can't get enough of Spartacus. I had to request a replacement board from the publisher as mine was warping. Got it, and a stack of promos for my trouble - took three days from my first contacting them, in New Zealand. Fantastic service.

You show me a videogame publisher with that kind of decency.
  • jaxon58 19 Feb 2013 20:32:26 2,423 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Waffleaber wrote:
    We played our first game of Lord of the Rings - The Card Game last night. Managed to beat the first scenario just about and had great fun doing so.

The game was wonderfully tense all the way through and could have gone either way right up until the last two turns.

Can't wait until tonight to try out some of the other decks.
    I love that game, but it does get incredibly hard in the other scenarios. You'll come back to that first scenario in the future and think its dead easy compared to the later ones. Great game though.
  • RedSparrows 20 Feb 2013 08:49:53 23,852 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Played board games a lot at the weekend - Pandemic and Ticket to Ride, Europe. Both were so much fun. I had forgotten how good a really well designed game can be, which is odd, as I love good design in computer games...

Anyway, can anyone recommend co-op/competitive games that are quite complex, but not so complex as to alienate casual players...? (very vague, I know). We have those and then the usual gubbins like Monopoly, Scrabble etc.
  • darkmorgado 20 Feb 2013 09:57:31 15,585 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This one's stupidly good fun.

http://www.dust-games.com/the_aventure.php

Indian Jones, the board game. Not as bewildering as it first seems - just do a slow first play through to understand what's going on, then it all moves smoothly. First game ended with Mrs Bear and I leaping out of the river after having to throw away half our treasure to avoid being swept over the waterfall, just in time to step right in front of the rolling boulder and get squished to cheers and laughter from the boys.

This one's a decent co-operative game. Works best with 4 rather than 2 players though.

http://www.gamewright.com/gamewright/index.php?section=games&page=game&show=245

Nice and simple. Clever mechanics and you all win/lose together. You'll get nowhere running off on your own.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• repairmanjack 23 Feb 2013 16:11:28 6,071 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    www.boardgameguru.co.uk (an EXCELLENT site for those not in the know) are reporting that the Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures game is back in stock from tuesday.

Anyone tried it?

Edited by repairmanjack at 16:12:06 23-02-2013
  • Sandbox 23 Feb 2013 16:20:45 340 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @repairmanjack The Guru is a dude and he ships super quick.

If you flick back a page I said my bit about X-Wing, it's great, just expect to invest a good few quid in it.
  • Page

of 134 First / Last