Boardgames anyone? Page 55

• Page

of 126 First / Last

• Sandbox 31 Jan 2013 22:44:44 339 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just finished a session of Sentinels of the Multiverse - really great collaborative comic book super hero game, revised version is strongly advised as it balances the game and gives you tokens to track card effects.

http://www.gameslore.com/acatalog/PR_Sentinels_of_The_Multiverse_Card_Game_Enhanced_Edition.html

Have ordered Tales of the Arabian Nights - this is a cross between a board game, an RPG, and a choose your own adventure book. Have ordered some Reaper minis to replace the cardboard stand up player pieces. With the right people this game should be fantastic fun.

http://www.gamesquest.co.uk/zmg7031-tales-of-the-arabian-nights.html
  • McGeeza 31 Jan 2013 23:05:54 933 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Arabian Nights is one of those games that is more of an 'experience' than a game. Some of the shit that goes down is hilarious though. Just make sure your group know what they are getting into and you should have a lot of fun.
  • spamdangled 31 Jan 2013 23:44:23 27,276 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    228 for Pandemic!

0_o

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• StarchildHypocrethes 1 Feb 2013 12:08:43 25,673 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Payday yesterday so just treated myself to Twilight Imperium. It looks sex.
  • MightyMetalMonkey 1 Feb 2013 12:21:49 600 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Payday yesterday so just treated myself to Twilight Imperium. It looks sex.
    Except that you need fewer people for satisfying sex and whilst it sounds like a good thing, TI takes a lot lot longer...
  • spamdangled 1 Feb 2013 12:27:24 27,276 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Let us know what you think of TI starchild. If it's anything like Eclipse it should be great :)

Did you get one of the expansions as well? I've heard the first one is pretty essential to fix some of the broken mechanics.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• StarchildHypocrethes 1 Feb 2013 13:14:01 25,673 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No expansions. Thought I'd get my head round the main game before dropping another 80 odd quid on them.

Any idea what they're supposed to fix?
  • Rusty_M 1 Feb 2013 14:03:17 4,657 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Me and three others are now four games in to a campaign of Risk Legacy. None of us had played anything fancier than Trivial Pursuit or Monopoly or Cranium (apart from one who'd played Settlers of Catan)

We are all loving playing Risk. It really is a fantastic game that many people would be surprised to find they like. You will probably shout at each other a lot though.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• spamdangled 1 Feb 2013 14:10:51 27,276 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    No expansions. Thought I'd get my head round the main game before dropping another 80 odd quid on them.

Any idea what they're supposed to fix?
    Not sure, but apparently Shattered Empires is considered essential. I think there's some imbalance in how military always trumps diplomacy, or something.

According to wikipedia, it nerfs small fighters which apparently dominated the original, introduces temporary victory points, removes the imperial strategy card, introduces new strategies, etc. seems it was designed to address people's criticisms of the base game.

• ZuluHero 1 Feb 2013 14:47:25 4,105 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I played 7 wonders, Labyrinth and Forbidden Island last night. All enjoyable. Great fun was had by all.
  • Rhaegyr 1 Feb 2013 15:23:55 1,591 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Rusty_M

Great stuff - been looking for some impressions from RISK Legacy after buying (and loving) City of Horror. Myself and friends don't really play many board games so this is quite reassuring news.

Could you tell me roughly how long the games last?
  • Rusty_M 1 Feb 2013 15:56:24 4,657 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rhaegyr We've had a few that were around 1-2 hours, and one that only lasted about 20-30 minutes due to some petty squabbling.

• spamdangled 1 Feb 2013 18:07:07 27,276 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    I played 7 wonders, Labyrinth and Forbidden Island last night. All enjoyable. Great fun was had by all.
    Forbidden Island is great. There's a good version of it on iOS too, though sadly no online, it's pass and play only.

I was looking at 7 Wonders earlier.

Anyone played Rex? It's another one in the TI universe.

• repairmanjack 1 Feb 2013 20:37:07 6,024 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Archipelago arrived this pm and might be the most gorgeous game I've ever seen. Played a couple of games of Gears of War and Claustrophobia last week and can only say great things about both.

A Few Acres of Snow settles tomorrow...

Edited by repairmanjack at 20:37:55 01-02-2013
  • riz23 1 Feb 2013 23:40:28 1,276 posts
    Seen 1 second ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sandbox wrote:
    Just finished a session of Sentinels of the Multiverse - really great collaborative comic book super hero game, revised version is strongly advised as it balances the game and gives you tokens to track card effects.

http://www.gameslore.com/acatalog/PR_Sentinels_of_The_Multiverse_Card_Game_Enhanced_Edition.html

Have ordered Tales of the Arabian Nights - this is a cross between a board game, an RPG, and a choose your own adventure book. Have ordered some Reaper minis to replace the cardboard stand up player pieces. With the right people this game should be fantastic fun.

http://www.gamesquest.co.uk/zmg7031-tales-of-the-arabian-nights.html
    Have you been watching Melody Vasels Top Ten? :)

Her Dads vids (the dice tower) are worth watching if you want good reviews.

Edited by riz23 at 23:44:53 01-02-2013
  • Deleted user 2 February 2013 20:40:05
    games 7, 8, and 9 of legacy today

I am so shit at this game
  • 4gate 12 Feb 2013 10:10:12 362 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    http://www.galeforcenine.com/

A Firefly boardgame on the way. Nerdgasm tsunami.
  • spamdangled 12 Feb 2013 10:52:29 27,276 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Nice! I didn't even realise a Firefly one existed :)

This week we played Chaos In The Old World with 4 players, which I did very much enjoy. It's a territory-control game (a la Risk) set in the Warhammer Fantasy universe, with each player playing one of the Gods of Chaos. I was very good fun, but I can't help but feel it was slightly unbalanced with some of the gods seeming to have built-in advantages (particularly Khorne and Tzeentch). But it was still good fun, if not something I would personally buy.

On Wednesday last week we played Conquest of Planet Earth (with 3 players), which was very good fun, and Ankh Morpork (again with 3). Both were fairly casual, fast to learn games but a lot of fun, the latter particularly if you are a Terry Pratchett fan.

Tomorrow we're playing Red November (3 players) and probably a few more games of Netrunner (2 players) between us, as well as something else which I can't remember the name of.

Then on Sunday... it's RISK: LEGACY night!

• ISmoke 12 Feb 2013 11:09:15 546 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've been playing a board game called 'Race For The Galaxy' recently. Took me a while to get how to play it but it's quite a fun game
  • Alastair 12 Feb 2013 11:14:19 15,614 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I am still loving Dominion Intrigue.
    That is all.

Not as nice as I used to be

• repairmanjack 14 Feb 2013 18:04:02 6,024 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Played my first game of Spartacus: A Game of Blood and Treachery last night. It's absolutely phenomenal. Can see why it picked up so many accolades last year. You need two other players (any interest in the TV series might help, but isn't necessary), but I haven't played anything else quite like it - and I'm now on a recruitment drive to get people around for some more games.

It's even reasonably priced.
  • phAge 15 Feb 2013 19:29:10 24,349 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone played the X-Wrong miniatures game? Any good? How about the Pathfinder beginners box?
  • spamdangled 15 Feb 2013 22:15:01 27,276 posts
    Seen 20 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Played Battlestar Galactica on Wednesday.

It's a bit special :)

• 4gate 15 Feb 2013 22:28:23 362 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @phAge I've got the Pathfinder beginners box, and although I haven't played it extensively (just faffed around with the kids for an afternoon or two), it is excellent. It is about the most accessible intro to a D&D style RPG I can imagine, with all the depth that suggests too, 4 characters to play straight away with a guide booklet for each, and the GM Guide has a small dungeon to learn with. It is a map/figures (nice cardboard figs provided, and a board which isn't brilliant but does the job) game rather than purely pen and paper.

I think you could certainly put together a decent little campaign with just the contents of the box, though I'm not sure at what stage the Core Rulebook / other books become necessary. I got the Core Rulebook too, it is lovely :)
  • Rusty_M 15 Feb 2013 22:29:18 4,657 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @cozeny I'm at six at the moment and game seven shall be tomorrow. We appear to be evenly matched so far. There are four of us, and the first four games were won by different players. On the last game we opened the "use three misslies" and "place all minor cities" pouches.

Things are certainly changing, and I really don't know what the next game will bring.

• Sandbox 15 Feb 2013 22:45:54 339 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @phAge

Got quite a bit of the X-Wing minis game and it is very good. I got some black mounting card and painted a star map on them. Very quick to learn and does really feel like a proper dog fight. I have 2 of the starter sets and 3 each of the other ships, which is heaps as a 100 point battle is ideal and takes about and hour to 90 mins to play out. There are missions and lots of ways of configuring your ships which makes even the set up good fun. The base set is enough to get a feel of the game but if you like it you will want to buy more.
  • phAge 16 Feb 2013 11:17:16 24,349 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Sandbox

Cheers. I used to play quite a bit of Descent: Journeys in the Dark (competitive dungeon crawl, players vs. dungeonmaster) with my regular group, but it got boring because of a few powergamers (/sore losers, whatever you wanna call 'em) amongst the players. If it looked like they weren't going to win, the rules-lawyerism quickly took over.

Thinking about giving Pathfinder a go, what with it being a "true" RPG (i.e. not players vs dungeonmaster as such). Thoughts?

(And sorry about the incoherence of the above. Hangover).
  • w00t 16 Feb 2013 14:28:55 11,085 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pathfinder is very enjoyable - we've been playing the Kingmaker campaign for about 18 months now.

Risk Legacy is also recommended. Only four games in so far, but we are all loving it (and scheming in between sessions).

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• phAge 16 Feb 2013 14:39:45 24,349 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @w00t

Re: Pathfinder - I'm assuming the role of the dungeonmaster is to make it hard, but not impossible for the heroes, rather than "winning" (i.e. killing them all)? How much of a boardgame and how much "real" RPG is it?
  • w00t 16 Feb 2013 14:53:34 11,085 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's an RPG really - based on D&D, but streamlined. You can get mats and such with grids on and concentrate more on dungeon delving to make it more boardgamey if you like.

Edit: and just like most RPGs, the dungeon master is the storyteller, not an adversary (but some prefer to play it that way...)

Edited by w00t at 14:54:37 16-02-2013

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• Page

of 126 First / Last