Boardgames anyone? Page 54

• Page

of 131 First / Last

• disusedgenius 15 Jan 2013 00:14:51 5,359 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just got back from a gaming night - played in the second round of a game of Descent... which we won after 2 rounds of combat. As it was over so quickly we ended up playing a couple of intro games of King of Tokyo which is a pretty fast dice-based game. Really good fun with 4 people and would certainly be good with a beer or two.

Also played more Munchkin and started a Mordheim campaign this weekend as well. Munckin is as good as ever, obviously. Mordheim is a GW spin-off of Warhammer which uses small bands of about 10 or so warriors in a skirmish game. Your warband levels up, earns experience and weapons, can even take permanent injuries (they could lose an eye, have disfiguring scars which cause fear, get captured or die for good).

If you have a bunch of WH models around and want something smaller scale there's far worse things you could do - plus the rules and resources are free. Only downside is that you need a decent amount of scenery to make a good game of it. There's rules for climbing/falling/diving charges etc and having clear lines of sight everywhere just makes range weapons too powerful. We just made a few things out of old cereal boxes and random odds and ends (an upside down box of Heroes for a tower, stockpots for dirt mounds to give some light cover...).

Edited by disusedgenius at 00:24:15 15-01-2013
  • TheRealBadabing 15 Jan 2013 00:25:06 1,318 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Got King of Tokyo last weekend. With that and Dungeon! my 6 year old daughter is well on the way to growing a neck beard. So proud.
  • repairmanjack 15 Jan 2013 02:10:54 6,052 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    First game of Innovation under our belts. Took a few turns for it to click but quite enjoyed it in the end.

Currently unpacking the Dunwich Horror expansion... kicking myself for waiting so long before picking it up. Just seems to add so much great stuff to Arkham itself.
  • Dr_Mech 15 Jan 2013 12:56:29 1,033 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    Mordheim is a GW spin-off of Warhammer which uses small bands of about 10 or so warriors in a skirmish game. Your warband levels up, earns experience and weapons, can even take permanent injuries (they could lose an eye, have disfiguring scars which cause fear, get captured or die for good).

If you have a bunch of WH models around and want something smaller scale there's far worse things you could do - plus the rules and resources are free. Only downside is that you need a decent amount of scenery to make a good game of it. There's rules for climbing/falling/diving charges etc and having clear lines of sight everywhere just makes range weapons too powerful. We just made a few things out of old cereal boxes and random odds and ends (an upside down box of Heroes for a tower, stockpots for dirt mounds to give some light cover...).
    Ah Mordheim, the Warhammer fantasy version of Necromunda. How do the two compare? Played a lot of Necromunda in my time, hell I even played Gorkamorka (anyone remember that?) but for some reason never really got into Mordheim.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 12:56:41 15-01-2013
  • spamdangled 15 Jan 2013 14:48:30 27,356 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Amazingly, I found someone else in Irthlingborough who plays board games. Had a few hours last night playing level 7: The Escape, which was great fun even if I was the poor sod that kept becoming the alien magnet (still won every game though!) before giving Death Angels a try which I thought was ok, if a bit complicated-sounding at the start. Probably more a game for train journeys than any sort of serious play.

Going to have a good fat session of Netrunner with him next week and then maybe try out Red November if we can find a third person to play with us.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• repairmanjack 18 Jan 2013 20:02:54 6,052 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bloody hell, Race for the Galaxy is awesome! Needed to find a youtube tutorial before I could come to that conclusion though. Going to teach my fiancee San Juan and then upgrade from there. Still don't think she'll ever want to sit down to Netrunner though.
  • repairmanjack 19 Jan 2013 14:46:20 6,052 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Quinn's reasons to be cheerful in 2013

I managed to grab a copy of The Cave from the slim Essen pickings. Really like it - plus I'm a huge fan of K2, the designer's previous game.
  • McGeeza 19 Jan 2013 15:23:34 936 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Out of that lot, Clash of Cultures (first) for me I think.
  • Waffleaber 26 Jan 2013 16:35:41 422 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Forbidden Island arrived yesterday. First co-operative game me and the missus have played and it was great fun. Much more than eyeing each other suspiciously in silence playing Netrunner.

I'm definately going to keep my eye out for some more 2 player suitable co-ops from now.
  • andytheadequate 26 Jan 2013 17:01:26 8,213 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Waffleaber wrote:
    Forbidden Island arrived yesterday. First co-operative game me and the missus have played and it was great fun. Much more than eyeing each other suspiciously in silence playing Netrunner.

I'm definately going to keep my eye out for some more 2 player suitable co-ops from now.
    I've just played Dday dice for the second time and it was really good fun as a cooperative game (2-4 player). First time I played it was a bit of a disaster as we didn't get the tactics until too late, but we stormed past the training mission and then took Omaha beach by the skin of our teeth. Games last around an hour.

There is an option to count individual scores too, but it does require cooperation to win. And if one player loses everyone loses
  • Deleted user 26 January 2013 21:22:56
    Has anyone played either City of Horror or Last Night On Earth.

Set up a board game night with some mates and I was wondering which would be the best to pick up?
  • spamdangled 28 Jan 2013 05:20:33 27,356 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Went for my gaming night last night. Finally got round to Netrunner (awesome!) and then tried Eclipse for the first time with the Rise of the Ancients expansion. After 4 hours (bearing in mind 3 of us were first timers), this was the table at the end of the night....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59141686@N05/8422440166/lightbox/

I'm the white player. I sort of ovrstretched myself at the start so ended up having to turtle for the rest of the game. The green player won with 51(!) victory points...,

Next week is Arkham Horror and Red November. And I've finally found a local bg club, so I've now got 2 gaming nights a week :)

Oh, and we're all chipping in a tenner each to get Risk: Legacy. Looking forward to that one....

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• spamdangled 28 Jan 2013 05:21:31 27,356 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    WeakOrbit wrote:
    Has anyone played either City of Horror or Last Night On Earth.

Set up a board game night with some mates and I was wondering which would be the best to pick up?
    Not played either but i've heard VERY good stuff about LNOE

• Rhaegyr 28 Jan 2013 13:22:04 1,831 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @WeakOrbit

My first post in the EG forum - hope it's worth it.

I picked up City of Horror (my first proper board game) a couple of weeks ago after reading EG's review and checking the rating on Amazon and a few other sources.

I have to say that it's absolutely brilliant.

A little context - a few of my friends are 'kind of' into games - they'll play the big releases as well as the yearly franchises. They'll also sometimes latch onto the odd game I send their way that's a little more 'out there', yet 9 times out of 10 they do not. I expected derisive laughs (at my expense) and a hard-sell when I picked up CoH, and that's exactly what I got.

5 of us sat down when I bought it and I urged them to give it a try. As we were all learning the rules bit by bit (takes roughly 30-45 minutes) we gradually saw how great this game would be and all the variables that would make it so. We played our first game eventually, and though we were constantly referencing the rulebook (not to mention the game last 2+ hours) we had a ton of fun and started another game up straight away. I was really surprised at how much we all enjoyed it, and how their resistance faded as we were setting it all up.

Fast forward to now - over the last few weeks I must've played nearly 20 games with different amounts of people each time, as well as 10+ of my friends now knowing how to play the game inside out. I get a text or two A DAY asking if we can set a game up after we all finish work.

Keep in mind - these are people whose board game experience (like my own) didn't venture outside Monopoly or Cluedo. Now they nearly come to blows arguing over cardboard cut-out zombies. EG really nailed the two types of mood here - you're either angry/frustrated/psychotic if one of your characters is involved in the vote to die, or you're not involved and usually crying with laughter at the debating going on around the table.

It still feels 'new' so I'm not sure how long we'll keep playing the game thoroughly, however it's brilliance hasn't diminshed yet and I'm eager (and a little scared) to see what will happen when alcohol is added to the mix.

If you have any more questions about the game I'd be happy to reply.

Can't recommend a purchase enough.

Carl

Edited by Rhaegyr at 13:24:52 28-01-2013
  • AccidentProne 28 Jan 2013 13:40:40 1,163 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Went for my gaming night last night. Finally got round to Netrunner (awesome!) and then tried Eclipse for the first time with the Rise of the Ancients expansion. After 4 hours (bearing in mind 3 of us were first timers), this was the table at the end of the night....

Is that a custom made mat? Don't think my friend's version has one. We tend to expend outwards further than that though, so maybe that's why we never use it. Actually, surprised the chap playing green didn't want to move out further than he did, that green planty ailen's thing seems to be rapid expansion, or at least that's how I played it.
  • opalw00t 28 Jan 2013 14:09:56 11,140 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    woop

I will shortly be receiving a copy of Risk Legacy - I'll let you know how it goes...

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• cubbymoore 28 Jan 2013 14:11:25 36,497 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've got a copy of Carcassonne on it's way to me. Going to try to get into this board game malarky, so starting with this and then probably Settlers of Catan, before trying anything more complex. I'm hoping I can get the gf interested in playing them.
  • Deleted user 28 January 2013 14:40:00
    @Rhaegyr Thanks a million for that mate. Looks like I'll be ordering it tomorrow.
  • spamdangled 28 Jan 2013 14:45:10 27,356 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:

Is that a custom made mat? Don't think my friend's version has one. We tend to expend outwards further than that though, so maybe that's why we never use it. Actually, surprised the chap playing green didn't want to move out further than he did, that green planty ailen's thing seems to be rapid expansion, or at least that's how I played it.
    Erm, he said it didnt come with thegame and he had to order it separately. Not sure if it was official or custom, but it was high quality. Think he said it cost him a tenner inc delivery! Can ask him where he got it from if you want one?

• Rhaegyr 28 Jan 2013 14:50:57 1,831 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @w00t

I've been looking for some opinions on this too after having seen some good reviews.

Never played a RISK game so this seems the ideal starting point - look forward to your impressions.
  • spamdangled 28 Jan 2013 14:51:34 27,356 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh, and the green player was a right sneaky bastard! He allied with me, then went behind my back and did a sneaky alliance with the yellow, so then yellow went into my territory and forced me to go on the densive. Id over-reached myself with my build resources pretty early, so me and the grey player then had to ally ourselves just to cover each others' backs.

In the end though, yellow player's agression got the better of him, green expanded all over the place, but because we were protecting our borders with souped up dreadnoughts, neither of them could get in. But then we couldn't get out either....

• AccidentProne 28 Jan 2013 15:23:27 1,163 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So, did the green guy actually break your alliance and incur the penalty or just sneakily play both you and yellow off against each other? Don't think we've ever had a game where someone's broken an alliance, so I can't actually remember what the treachery penalty is.

I'll ask my mate if he's interested in getting one of those mats, but as we usually expand out as far as table space and number of tiles will let us, I'm not sure how often we'd use it.
  • spamdangled 28 Jan 2013 15:26:36 27,356 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    No, he kept the alliance, he just let the yellow guy go after me, then provided him with some border defense to make sure he wasn't exposed! If you look at the board pic I posted, you can sort of see how the yellow one crept over to me, but I was next to grey. So green gave the yellow guy some cover (and yellow got cocky because he was friendly to the Ancients) in case - which obviously did end up happening, because we both saw it coming - me and grey allied to protect ourselves.

• spamdangled 28 Jan 2013 15:27:19 27,356 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It was an awesome game, enjoyed every second.

Got Arkham Horror coming this week, just ordered the Dunwich expac for it too so that should be fun.

• spamdangled 31 Jan 2013 19:44:17 27,356 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Had my first game of Arkham Horror last night...

wow! Loved every second of it :)

We lost though. Got the Ancient that instantly destroys the world the second he rises, and early on we lost a rumour that caused us to draw a second Mythos card every turn. After that, it seemed a gate spawned every single turn, monsters were blocking the streets, monsters were in the sky...

We managed to close a couple of gates, but just as we thought we were going to close another 2, a 7th gate spawned and we lost the game. Damn!

Already looking at the expansions. Was thinking of starting with one of the smaller ones, like Lurker at the Threshold.

Red November arrives tomorrow, then sometime early next week Android arrives, which I've heard is excellent but has a bloody thick manual.

Even got the lodger into it, and he's decided to buy Infiltration at the end of the month. Then next week we're going to play Game of Thrones.

• riz23 31 Jan 2013 21:20:36 1,310 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @darkmorgado

Wow you've really gone for it haven't you? I think after Eclipse & Arkham Horror you will find Game of Thrones a little weak. However if you liked the alliances in Eclipse you might get something out of GoT. It's just a fantasy 'Diplomacy' if you ask me. Red November is 'ok', but not great I think.

Android has lovely pieces and a super theme, but it's a bit complicated. I have only ever played it once, every time I try to get it on the table people get scared and we end up with something lighter.

Talking of Android can I throw this out to anyone? I have a big collection of original Netrunner cards. Classic, Proteus, lots of rares, a good (and heavy) collection. Anyone interested in buying/swapping for it? It really is a superb game and the original like this is much better than the FFG reboot. PM me if you're interested.

Edited by riz23 at 21:21:33 31-01-2013
  • spamdangled 31 Jan 2013 21:51:03 27,356 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @riz23

Heh, yeah I've seen the manual for Android... eep!

But I love Netrunner, the Lodger is determined to get Infiltration, so I thought we may as well complete the set! Plus it's only just over ú20 on Amazon.

Cosmic Encounters looks really good too, would love to play that!

Wasn't the original Netrunner a CCG?

• spamdangled 31 Jan 2013 21:52:36 27,356 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm seriously eyeing up Twilight Imperium, but think that will be one where the whole group splits the cost. It's not exactly cheap :)

• riz23 31 Jan 2013 21:56:35 1,310 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @darkmorgado It was indeed a CCG hence my unfeasibly large collection of cards! Cosmic Encounter is one of my favourite games of all time. The opportunities to double cross, gang up on, be smug and generally act like a tyrant are unrivalled! Such fun!
  • spamdangled 31 Jan 2013 22:29:42 27,356 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yep, I've heard loads of good stuff about it.

Tannhauser looks pretty good. You played it?

• Page

of 131 First / Last