Boardgames anyone? Page 53

• Page

of 119 First / Last

• marilena 8 Jan 2013 14:42:53 8,198 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    I also wouldn't start with the Europe map either, as the bridges, tunnels and stations can be a bit of pain in the ass to get your head around right from the start.
    I would have laughed at that some time ago, but this holiday I played TTR Europe with 3 different groups and everyone seemed to be so freaking confused about the tunnels!

darkmorgado wrote:
    I don't agree it's too boring with only 2 players, I'd say it's fine for someone with little experience.
    This depends on taste, of course, but I have to say that I much prefer Dominion.
  • spamdangled 8 Jan 2013 14:47:20 27,269 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @marilena

Never underestimate the casuals :)

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• andytheadequate 8 Jan 2013 14:47:51 8,075 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TTR Europe isn't difficult to understand, is it? When I played it we all picked it up within 10 minutes, and you could play it ignoring those rules anyway if you wanted to
  • marilena 8 Jan 2013 15:13:45 8,198 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    TTR Europe isn't difficult to understand, is it? When I played it we all picked it up within 10 minutes, and you could play it ignoring those rules anyway if you wanted to
    You're right. To be fair, everyone was playing like a pro by the middle of the first game.

But I was shocked at how much trouble they had with understanding such a simple rule. It may also be true that I'm shit at explaining stuff.
  • andytheadequate 8 Jan 2013 16:31:05 8,075 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I find that the first round should be used to explain rules, so much easier when you've got an example rather than just reading from a rule book.

Played small worlds for the first time in ages and had to explain it to 2 new players the other day. We didn't really know what to do at first, but once we started playing and had the rules to hand it all clicked into place quickly
  • quadfather 8 Jan 2013 16:33:16 11,808 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    jaxon58 wrote:
    Got two expansion packs for Lord of the Rings Card Game - Kazad-dum and The Hobbit: Overhill and Underhill for Christmas. Haven't tried either yet but they look great. Anyone else played these?

Also, anyone interested in a digital version of Talisman should check it out in Steam's Greenlight system. Multiplayer board gaming loveliness coming this Summer.
    Ooh, I'm up for this - I've still got Talisman with all the expansion packs. Great for sunday afternoons with beer + music with mates round. And I was sad enough to even make custom cards...

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• McGeeza 8 Jan 2013 16:46:04 928 posts
    Seen 21 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    elephantjuice wrote:
    Can anyone recommend something that my old man might be interested in? I'd like to get him a board game for his birthday (it's not for a while yet but I like to do my homework and be prepared).

In terms of what sort of thing he's into, he particularly enjoys Buccaneer and he'll switch off if it's anything too fantasy-heavy. That's it really.

I've had my eye on the Ticket to Ride games, how are they generally regarded? Are there any other similar 'must haves' or recommendations?
    I can thoroughly recommend 1812 The Invasion of Canada. I play it with my dad and every game has been fun. If your dad is into history, soldiers and likes a bit of dice rolling you won't find a better 2 player light war game IMO.

Great 2 player game and it plays really well with 3, 4 or 5 too. Will cost you around 40 but the production is lovely.

If more people had played and ranked this game it would be top 50 on BGG easily.
  • RyanDS 8 Jan 2013 16:58:18 9,050 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Anyone around Sutton area fancy meeting up for some board games? Thanks to money issues I can no longer head into central london for my regular group so am looking to start up an informal get together in the area.

I've got so many good games sitting on my shelves that are just getting dusty!
  • spamdangled 8 Jan 2013 17:27:11 27,269 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @RyanDS

Try asking on boardgamegeek.com, they have a UK subforum for people trying to find other games near them.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• elephantjuice 8 Jan 2013 23:00:14 623 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I got around to trying Carcassonne and Catan on the 360 tonight to see what the crack is. I didn't really get on with Carcassonne but I was very impressed with Catan and quite disappointed when the trial came to an end which can only be a good thing.

I've still got TTR to try and will take a look at boardgamegeek to see what else catches the eye.
  • repairmanjack 9 Jan 2013 10:03:26 5,987 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Played the HBO version of the Game of Thrones card game last night. How is it that FFG can make such beautiful components and such fucking lousy rules? Every. Single. Time.

Also got in a game of Lords of Waterdeep with the missus. She's keen to play both it and Stone Age again, but is asking for something with more direct confrontation. Realised I have Citadels and Eaten By Zombies on the shelf. Hopefully both will work well enough with two players.
  • LeoliansBro 9 Jan 2013 10:18:45 43,132 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I mentioned this in passing a few pages back, but one game I'd love to see make a comeback is Avalon Hill's Dune. I know it was reborn as Rex Imperialis but this is a poor (and ugly) imitation and the original was such a well matched combination of game and flavour, the fiction and the mechanics fitted so well.

No science fiction universe is as rich IMO and the game plays out with exactly the same kind of asymmetric, multifaceted and manipulative manner as the books. You're almost forced into roleplay - you have to be subtle and underhand if you're the Bene Gesserit, you have to seize the initiative and play to the strengths of your leaders as the Atreides, you have to stand aside, wallowing in your wealth, and accept your presence on the planet will always be marginal as the Guild etc.

Amazing that they managed to make a six player game with six completely different factions, play styles, objectives and rules, and then throw them together in a game with no dice that comes out so balanced and somehow harmonious. It's a rare thing when you find a game that tells a story as it unfolds, but this is definitely one. If you have six players, if you've read Dune, and if you can find a copy and the time, then I envy you.

I played it once. I'd love to play it again.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• tincanrocket 9 Jan 2013 11:20:11 2,897 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Just take it anyway.

Not seen Spartacus, what's it like?
    It looks ace - very nicely packaged, and Rab Florence rated it highly on RPS. I might just take it on Thursday and force them to play!

I second your thoughts on Dune - my favourite board game of all time, alongside Kingmaker. I still have a (rather battered) original copy of Dune, but neither of the expansion packs. You can find digital copies of the game online to print out and make yourself, but they really should do a re-issue, as it's ace.

Edited by tincanrocket at 11:20:23 09-01-2013

Edited by tincanrocket at 11:24:15 09-01-2013
  • repairmanjack 10 Jan 2013 12:41:17 5,987 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I came down this morning to discover my game shelves rearranged, with a small space left on the third shelf.

Apparently, my fiancee just wanted to tidy up... but then she pointed to the small space she'd made and said, "this is the space you have left for games."

And the copy of Claustrophobia on order certainly isn't going to fit in it...
  • andytheadequate 10 Jan 2013 13:04:37 8,075 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    I came down this morning to discover my game shelves rearranged, with a small space left on the third shelf.

Apparently, my fiancee just wanted to tidy up... but then she pointed to the small space she'd made and said, "this is the space you have left for games."

And the copy of Claustrophobia on order certainly isn't going to fit in it...
    Ikea have very reasonably priced shelving units...
  • Waffleaber 10 Jan 2013 13:07:47 373 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    She sounds inefficient. Use some Tetris skills.
  • andytheadequate 10 Jan 2013 13:43:23 8,075 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Waffleaber wrote:
    She sounds inefficient. Use some Tetris skills.
    I imagine it's very deliberate...
  • repairmanjack 10 Jan 2013 14:16:11 5,987 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Actually I plan on doing the same thing with her shoe collection. :)
  • Rusty_M 12 Jan 2013 19:30:29 4,565 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does anyone know of anywhere good for buying boardgames, either online or bricks & Mortar? I'm tempted to delve into this world.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• phAge 12 Jan 2013 19:43:28 24,336 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There is a lovely shop in Finchley with loads and loads of boardgames on sale and a very cool and knowledgeable staff. Forget the name, though.
  • KingOfSpain 12 Jan 2013 20:00:22 5,187 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gameslore.com is where I buy most of my games. Never had a problem with them and their prices are as good as anywhere else I've seen.
  • repairmanjack 12 Jan 2013 23:41:24 5,987 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Google any of these: boardgameguru; maddisongames; grimtreegames; shiregames; iguk; gameslore... and keep an eye on amazon. Prices vary a lot - especially with amazon. Your very best bet for spotting a bargain is joining BGG and subscribing to the bargain thread.

Although its cost a small fortune this year. Bargain seems a misnomer. :)
  • andytheadequate 13 Jan 2013 21:14:29 8,075 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Has anyone played Dday dice, funded by kickstarter? I got it for Xmas and had my first go of it today, have to say I'm really impressed. Never played a co op game before so didn't know what to expect. The board, cards, and dice are all high quality too
  • Deleted user 13 January 2013 21:55:13
    games 3 & 4 of legacy today

soooooooooo. goooooooood.
  • repairmanjack 14 Jan 2013 01:06:35 5,987 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just punched the bits and chits on the Gears boardgame... Gorgeous looking stuff.
  • repairmanjack 14 Jan 2013 01:08:28 5,987 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    Has anyone played Dday dice, funded by kickstarter? I got it for Xmas and had my first go of it today, have to say I'm really impressed. Never played a co op game before so didn't know what to expect. The board, cards, and dice are all high quality too
    Intrigued by it after a lot of good word of mouth... have no idea how it plays though.
  • Rusty_M 14 Jan 2013 17:37:18 4,565 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ordered Risk Legacy off Amazon today.

/does little excited dance.

No idea when I'll ever get a chance to play it, though.

/makes sad face.

• Deleted user 14 January 2013 21:53:21
    implore your friends

also: read the rules. properly.

we're still discovering (6 games in on one board, 4 on the other) rules we've been getting wrong all along : /
  • andytheadequate 14 Jan 2013 22:13:33 8,075 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There should really be an EG board game club with all these games everyone keeps buying. The group of friends I play with don't get together very often so don't play anywhere near as often as I'd like
  • Rusty_M 14 Jan 2013 23:00:05 4,565 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm half tempted to make no real permanent alterations to the board, and make extensive notes so that I can have the evolving game experience with multiple groups of friends. I don't see myself playing all 15 games with any one group.

• Page

of 119 First / Last