Boardgames anyone? Page 49

• Page

of 120 First / Last

• disusedgenius 28 Dec 2012 00:26:22 5,223 posts
    Seen 22 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The bordgame experience helps make it social, mainly. It isn't quite the same when everyone's glued to a screen.

Personally I usually stick to Warhammer (enjoy the painting too much) but when I can't get a game at the club I've also played stuff like Munchkin, Descent, Dixit and whatnot. If you can find a club with a decent atmosphere it's a great way to wind down after work. If you can find one based in a pub even better!
  • spamdangled 28 Dec 2012 00:37:00 27,269 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Even our local GW store shut up shop recently. Northampton is tumbleweed territory when it comes to board game availability and players.

I love the lore of 40k but am far more drawn to excellent FF rpgs like Dark Heresy and Rogue Trader and the novels than the tabletop game, which has always intrigued me but sets off carefully learned internal warning systems about potential money sinks that will never, ever provide value based on where I live.

Edited by darkmorgado at 00:40:05 28-12-2012

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Rusty_M 28 Dec 2012 08:59:12 4,579 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    bah I want it!

Is it actually pretty much unplayable after the 15 game campaign though? No resetting for subsequent uses to introduce people to it? The gillen piece gave the impression it is without being definitive about it.
    According to an Amazon review, interest tends to wane after the initial 15 games. It's not unplayable, but I don't think the board continues to evolve.

The same review suggested things like blu tack instead of stickers and setting cards aside instead of destroying them so the game can be reset ready for another 15 games.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• riz23 28 Dec 2012 09:04:30 1,157 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Judging from my own experience if you get 15 plays out of one board game you are doing well. Most don't get a half that.
  • spamdangled 28 Dec 2012 09:28:06 27,269 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rusty_M wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    bah I want it!

Is it actually pretty much unplayable after the 15 game campaign though? No resetting for subsequent uses to introduce people to it? The gillen piece gave the impression it is without being definitive about it.
    According to an Amazon review, interest tends to wane after the initial 15 games. It's not unplayable, but I don't think the board continues to evolve.

The same review suggested things like blu tack instead of stickers and setting cards aside instead of destroying them so the game can be reset ready for another 15 games.
    That sounds good. Doubt I would be up for an instant retry anytime soon after a massive campaign (assuming I can convince some others why board games are still magical in a digital age), but I'm reluctant to wreck the board however intrigued I am by the spirit of total nihilism Gillen gave off in his piece on it, and I like to be able to pass on my infectious enthusiasm to others through hands-on experience as opposed to lengthy/tiresome explanations of why something is awesome.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• AccidentProne 28 Dec 2012 14:32:57 1,153 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Got Libertalia for Christmas, which was a nice surprise. Can't wait to get a go, hopefully tomorrow.

Just wondering if some of you that are struggling to find regular games have considered gaming club type things? I've got a fairly regular group of mates that play, but have joined London on Board as well. Saying that, I haven't made it down to any meets yet, but intend to do so in the new year...
  • RyanDS 28 Dec 2012 14:44:20 9,062 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So I have picked up Descent from Waterstones and had a quick look through and it looks fantastic. Will be having my first game tonight with a mate, are there any rules / pitfalls which we should know about in advance? Any rules that are obscure that can ruin a game or anything?
  • Fozzie_bear 28 Dec 2012 14:48:44 15,489 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    Got Libertalia for Christmas, which was a nice surprise. Can't wait to get a go, hopefully tomorrow.

Just wondering if some of you that are struggling to find regular games have considered gaming club type things? I've got a fairly regular group of mates that play, but have joined London on Board as well. Saying that, I haven't made it down to any meets yet, but intend to do so in the new year...
    I've joined LoB too. Went to an evening earlier in the year and they seem like a decent bunch. Going to set aside Monday evenings for the meets in the Red Herring.

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• spamdangled 28 Dec 2012 14:48:50 27,269 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I made a LFG thread over on Boardgamegeeks which I'm not expecting to go anywhere. My local GW has closed, my local comic shop had no idea and my local board game shop was only able to offer "some guys play DnD at the Roadmender", which would be great if I wasn't bored of DnD, wasn't interested in playing Board Games but only wanted RPGs (ideally I would actually like a good mix with lots of rotation between new games) didn't hate that venue and find the idea of social boardgaming in a heavy metal club setting a bit damaging to what makes it so magical at its best.

My, I really am a bit moany this week aren't I? Sorry! I guess I'm good-willed out after the christmas day blowout on the stuff.

Edited by darkmorgado at 14:50:01 28-12-2012

• spamdangled 28 Dec 2012 14:51:49 27,269 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    On a different note, has anyone tried the Civ boardgame? It looks interesting as a "medium" game in terms of length, setup, complexity etc. Rather pricey though (inevitable in these days).

• AccidentProne 28 Dec 2012 14:55:00 1,153 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    So I have picked up Descent from Waterstones and had a quick look through and it looks fantastic. Will be having my first game tonight with a mate, are there any rules / pitfalls which we should know about in advance? Any rules that are obscure that can ruin a game or anything?
    I've only played the first edition and we did have a few problems with line of sight. Also, it took ages, so set aside some time. I think both of those problems have been fixed in the second edition though.
  • AccidentProne 28 Dec 2012 14:57:04 1,153 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    On a different note, has anyone tried the Civ boardgame? It looks interesting as a "medium" game in terms of length, setup, complexity etc. Rather pricey though (inevitable in these days).
    Yeah, I've got Civ and it seems like a great game, it's not that quick though. All our games have taken the whole evening, though there's always been someone learning.

Would love to play it more, but my mates who're into that type of game prefer Eclipse I think. And when they're not playing that, they're playing Race for the Galaxy (which is also awesome).
  • AccidentProne 28 Dec 2012 15:01:02 1,153 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Fozzie_bear
    Not living in London, but not too far away, I'll probably not be a regular attendee at LoB meets. A mate does make it down occasionally, so I'll definitely try and get to a few with him.

We are heading down to Eastbourne for a weekend meet sometime in the new year as well, which I'm looking forward to.
  • Fozzie_bear 28 Dec 2012 16:06:46 15,489 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    @Fozzie_bear
    Not living in London, but not too far away, I'll probably not be a regular attendee at LoB meets. A mate does make it down occasionally, so I'll definitely try and get to a few with him.

We are heading down to Eastbourne for a weekend meet sometime in the new year as well, which I'm looking forward to.
    I saw that, but not going to be able to make it. Shame, because I quite liked the idea of geeking out for a whole weekend!

Support the Mowgli Dirty Protest!

• spamdangled 28 Dec 2012 16:09:13 27,269 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    Yeah, I've got Civ and it seems like a great game, it's not that quick though. All our games have taken the whole evening, though there's always been someone learning.

Would love to play it more, but my mates who're into that type of game prefer Eclipse I think. And when they're not playing that, they're playing Race for the Galaxy (which is also awesome).
    Race for the Galaxy is one of those games I don't think I've ever heard anything bad about. Same with Waterdeep, Descent 2nd ed and Twilight Imperium. Not familiar with Eclipse, but the name rings a vague bell.

• AccidentProne 28 Dec 2012 17:00:48 1,153 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you're interested in Twilight Imperium, Eclipse could be worth looking at as a less epic alternative.

I'd love to give TI a go, but the 6 hour playtime would put most of my group off. We never manage to finish anything in the suggested time either, due to the usual distractions of booze, food, chat, analysis paralysis etc.
  • spamdangled 28 Dec 2012 17:15:27 27,269 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The 6 hour playime is definitely an eye opener. That (or the difficulty it would lead to in trying to find enough people willing to play it) and the price have always stopped me, despite my fascination with it.

The massive box is sort of like my Space-Odyssey Monolith in board-game form: a huge mystery that is as terrifying as it is enticing.

• Deleted user 29 December 2012 01:44:06
    just finished playing the first two games of a new campaign of risk legacy... game is so good, even second time around

buy it, people, buy itttttttt....
  • spamdangled 29 Dec 2012 01:53:11 27,269 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh god, stop it! I want it sooooo badly.

Around 50 notes though, that really puts me into "make damn sure you have an up-for-it group of players BEFORE purchse" territory, given its campaign nature.

If it IS based around the idea of casual nihilism, I guess trying to convince other players to split the cost to grab it (r do it anyway then pay them back over the course of the campaign instead of doing it the one-off route) is a valid route to go down.

Edited by darkmorgado at 01:59:24 29-12-2012

• Deleted user 29 December 2012 10:11:57
    in both my games we put a tenner in each... makes sense since you'll always be playing with the same group
  • repairmanjack 29 Dec 2012 12:35:22 5,987 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Final splurge of the year with sales and Xmas money:

Gears of War
    Through the Ages
    Arkham Horror: Dunwich Horror expansion
    The Road to Canterbury
    San Juan
    Game of Thrones (HBO edition)

Thank you Xmas bonus... No more buying until Dark, Darker, Darkest hits. Honestly.
  • Waffleaber 29 Dec 2012 17:28:36 375 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bought and played the first game of X-Wing Miniatures yesterday. Great fun, gorgeous models, easy to learn.

Looking forward to this next year. Need to find some good gender-neutral games to play through with the missus keep her playing space shooting/cyberpunk ones with me and Mall Madness is getting a bit old. Any recommendations?
  • Sandbox 29 Dec 2012 17:54:34 339 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I am lucky enough to have a large gaming group and we play various d&d games on a Monday, warhammer on Tuesday then board games on Wednesday. Current favourites include King of Tokyo, X-Wing, Quarriors, Galaxy Truckers, The Resistance and Dixit. The group also gets a new game at Christams, last year was Mansions of Madness, this year was Super Dungeon Explore which looks great. I think any of these are gender neutral as 3 of my group do have a front bum. If you like worker placement and dice rolling then Stone Age is a great introduction.
  • 1Dgaf 29 Dec 2012 19:21:45 3,788 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Try and play a game solo before playing with friends. Trying to learn the rules can kill a game when teaching it to people.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• AccidentProne 30 Dec 2012 20:10:28 1,153 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Elder sign? Not played it myself, but I believe it's a sort of stripped down Arkham Horror, or something along those lines.

Citadels is a pretty simple game to learn and a lot of fun. Cheap too, you can generally pick it up for about 12.

Had our first game of Libertalia last night which was a lot of fun. Incredibly simple to pick up and plays pretty quickly, so might be a good shout too.

Edited by AccidentProne at 20:11:20 30-12-2012
  • spamdangled 30 Dec 2012 20:19:30 27,269 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    AccidentProne wrote:
    Elder sign? Not played it myself, but I believe it's a sort of stripped down Arkham Horror, or something along those lines.
    Being a fan of the iOS version as well as Arkham Horror, this is pretty much accurate in my experience. Elder Sign is more based on randomness and has fewer interesting choices (to use a BGG term) compared to AH, but heavy similarities in terms of player goals and a cooperation against AI theme. Both are excellent for different reasons and both are worth getting due to how different their mechanics and average playtimes are.

Another game to consider, if your group is open to card games, is a freely available beta game called Dreamlands which you can download and print in its entirety from here.

Edited by darkmorgado at 20:25:30 30-12-2012

• EMarkM 30 Dec 2012 20:50:46 3,173 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Graveland The drink's normally flowing freely amongst my lot when we play Carcassonne, and we get on alright.

There's loads of expansions, but just start with the base game and the River first off.

Cracking session of this on Christmas Day night, including Inns & Cathedrals and Traders & Bulders.
  • 1Dgaf 30 Dec 2012 21:25:45 3,788 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Arkham Horror isn't that complicated - it's just got lots of pieces. Once you get into the flow, it's quite easy to play.

The problem is that, for some people, there isn't a lot of gameplay. It's about the experience; discussion and danger, rather than deep decisions. So for a group of drunks, if you can get over the fiddly, it might be right.

Check out Castle Ravenloft and its series. Set up can bit a bit fiddly, but it plays in about an hour and is simple enough. It appeals to the friend of mine that dislikes Arkham.

There's also a small, cheap, silly game called Zombie in my pocket that might be worth looking at.

www.hatchetjob.com - more than games. "Seemingly trivial, surprisingly deep"

• Page

of 120 First / Last