Boardgames anyone? Page 43

• Page

of 133 First / Last

• RunningMan 3 Jul 2012 13:32:01 2,435 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @ryandsimmons. I think Elder Sign has an ipad app.

Edited by RunningMan at 13:47:45 03-07-2012
  • Deleted user 3 July 2012 13:33:59
    I decided on baggying my dominion, which makes it pretty transportable and minimises storage space requirement

played about 4/5 games with my group at the weekend - it went down pretty well. people immediately wanted to play again after every game, which is a good sign. expect it'll take a while to fully 'get' any strategies and interplay between the different cards

no-one taking me up on my swapsies offer then? :p
  • Deleted user 3 July 2012 13:34:39
    I just know I am going to sink so much time into the official dominion iPad app when it drops
  • McGeeza 4 Jul 2012 22:16:04 941 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Onny wrote:
    Also, just an update on something I posted ages ago - finally got round to playing A Few Acres Of Snow with my dad. It's brilliant! Fairly daunting at first, as you have so many options available to you, but after a few games we knew what to aim for and had a lot of fun.

I think it will have quite a long life, too, as the strategic options just seem so vast! Can't wait to play it again :)
    1812 The Invasion of Canada is a lovely game but maybe too similar to AFAOS. Recommended if you want more of the same though.
  • McGeeza 4 Jul 2012 22:19:23 941 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    fillip wrote:
    Shut Up and Sit Down review Cold War: CIA vs KGB in S2E2, not so favourably.

Save your money for Twilight Struggle I reckon...and then let me know if it's any good.
    I bought the deluxe edition last week. Haven't played it yet but the components are beautiful.

If you're ever in the Cambridgeshire area we'll have to have a game night. :D
  • McGeeza 4 Jul 2012 22:23:28 941 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    Obviously, I don't need any more games for six months...
    Good luck with that... ;)
  • fillip 7 Jul 2012 08:24:41 896 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Summoner Wars is out on iOS!

I've been putting off getting the card game as I figure I'll get more plays out of the iOS version. Very excited about it.
  • Deleted user 7 July 2012 19:28:35
    do we have enough board gamers to run a math trade? really want to get those trades mentioned executed ;)

Edited by cozeny at 19:28:49 07-07-2012
  • repairmanjack 8 Jul 2012 20:00:58 6,068 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    First afternoon playing Power Grid: I'm blown away by how good it is. Mechanics are sublime and it's nice for the missus and myself to play something that references her homeland. Not nearly as tricky to get to grips with as I'd been warned.

Fluked a solo win on Elder Sign yesterday; liking it more and more each play.

A not so successful play of Pandemic with the missus two nights ago. I completely fluffed one of the rules and forgot you kept adding infection cubes after discovering a cure, but only stopped once you hit the sunset detail. It was so bloody easy we managed a romantic weekend stop over in Essen. :)
  • Deleted user 9 July 2012 22:56:50
    just demoed blood bowl: team manager solo... might try to get it to the table next game night. seems like it might be quite fiddly to explain, even though it's relatively light

the rules explanation is the worst part of having a gaming group urgh... that's the reason why I've mostly stuck to relatively simple games
  • Deleted user 9 July 2012 22:57:29
    also... was perving out to risk legacy earlier. I really need to get my group of 5 together and get it to the table
  • repairmanjack 9 Jul 2012 23:41:42 6,068 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Have spent all day drooling over Agricola, thanks to a couple of youtube vids. Sad, eh? I'd say my current wants list is that, Twilight Struggle, 1960 The Making of a President, Cold War and Ticket to Ride Europe.

Was casually looking around for copies of the Resident Evil Deck Building Game. Guess it's out of print. Anyone pick it up at the time?
  • Deleted user 10 July 2012 07:38:14
    there's a few copies of it in my local store

heard mixed things
  • LeoliansBro 10 Jul 2012 07:52:03 44,503 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Agricola is ace. Not seen Twilight Struggle but from its name I assume it's Rape: The Board Game.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• fillip 10 Jul 2012 09:04:37 896 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't know, if you're liking the theme and you're ok with worker placement then go for it.

I've only played the All Creatures Big and Small game, but love that. It's put back my purchase of the big Agricola but I'm really looking forward to more options and decisions.

What games have you played that are similar? The main criticism of Agricola is that it is a bit like multiplayer solitaire, a criticism of most worker placement euro style games. If you know that you like this type of game then Agricola should be a purchase. It's not ranked so highly on BGG for nothing.
  • Deleted user 15 July 2012 00:04:01
    started playing risk legacy today

it. is. awesome.
  • Soul_quake 15 Jul 2012 07:36:02 267 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Smallworld today for the first time. Too tired to really enjoy it and my 5 year old son was getting bored waiting for folks to finish their turns (first round took over 50mins!) so randomly just did stuff to get turn over but looks like an interesting premise and good fun.
  • repairmanjack 17 Jul 2012 13:52:58 6,068 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just ordered Agricola and - after spending forever trying to find a copy - 1960: Making of the President.

I'm probably going to get shot for it though.
  • McGeeza 17 Jul 2012 14:09:53 941 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    McGeeza wrote:
    repairmanjack wrote:
    Obviously, I don't need any more games for six months...
    Good luck with that... ;)
    ;)
  • shamblemonkee 17 Jul 2012 14:18:13 14,481 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Are there/ what is the best frozen synapse / xcom / squad boardgame out there .. sort of space hulkesque?
  • AccidentProne 17 Jul 2012 14:30:44 1,168 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Earth Reborn kinda reminded me of xcom / Rebelstar etc. I've only played the starter / tutorial mission so far which was fairly simplistic, but from what I've read, later missions rely much more on line of sight, oppurtunity fire and such.
  • LockeTribal 17 Jul 2012 14:31:41 4,523 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bit of an odd question here but, out of curiosity, how did those of you who play in groups of friends broach the subject of board gaming for the first time? Was it just "Hey guys, instead of going out and getting rat-arsed tonight, how about we play a board game for 5 hours instead?" or is there a better way?

Reading Rab Florence's Cardboard Children over on RPS and this here thread has got me vaguely interested in trying out something like Dixit or Pandemic but I can't see most of my friends going for it. Get new friends then, yeah? :)
  • RunningMan 17 Jul 2012 14:33:24 2,435 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You could try a local board game club.
  • KingOfSpain 17 Jul 2012 14:39:16 5,187 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @shamblemonkee The Gears of War board game is fun. Helps if you are into the universe but it still works if not

Not too similar to SH as it is cooperative, but you still get that same feeling of a desperate struggle against vicious aliens that SH gives.

Can be played solo, or with 3 friends. Worth a look.
  • shamblemonkee 17 Jul 2012 14:40:28 14,481 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @AccidentProne

Cheers, i'll take a look. A friend and I are attempting the creation of our own game so i'm just interested to see what exists already.
  • KingOfSpain 17 Jul 2012 14:44:48 5,187 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @LockeTribal I told them that it was happening and they had no choice!

I picked up the BSG game and told some of my BSG loving mates. Told them they we were going to have a night of beer and takeaway while playing a game set in a universe we all loved.

Once they were signed up a few other mates heard what I was doing and not wanting to be left out wanted to come along too.

We now have a good group of 7 who play quite often, although we normally get around 5 on any particular night. We now play all sorts of different games, with are favorite being Chaos in the Old World.
  • AccidentProne 17 Jul 2012 14:48:59 1,168 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @LockeTribal Well a friend got me and the rest of our group into it a year or so back. Here's a link to his blog about how he did it. I think before that, he mostly went to boardgame meets in Cambridge and London, which got him hooked in the first place.
  • AccidentProne 17 Jul 2012 14:52:15 1,168 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BSG was actually the first game I picked up too, mostly thanks to this thread. Unfortunately none of my mates like it, the cunts! I thought it was awesome, but can't convince anyone else to play when a few of them were so down on it...
  • LockeTribal 17 Jul 2012 14:54:06 4,523 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers folks! Very helpful advice all round there.
  • Page

of 133 First / Last