Xbox Live (Beta)

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • Gurgy 1 Nov 2002 07:59:18 2,618 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Today (31/10) I've been invited by MS to buy the Beta pack of Xbox Live.

Is it worth it ?

Has anyone else signed up / received the pack yet ?

How long was delivery ? The web site says up to 14 days, but doesn't the thing go on public sale on 30th Novemeber anyway ?

Any input appreciated.
  • jiroczech 1 Nov 2002 15:11:34 2,669 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I just paid for the XBox Live kit too.. XBox needs something to give it a kick up the arse - maybe XBox Live will do it.

I'm interested to see how they handle the whole console games online thing. I played some PSO on the Dreamcast which was done pretty well (cheats aside). It had a totally different feel to any of the online PC games I've played.
  • Errol 1 Nov 2002 15:16:57 12,531 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It had a totally different feel to any of the online PC games I've played.

In what way ?
  • Mr_Sleep 1 Nov 2002 15:36:16 17,271 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ReGuRgIt8oR wrote:
    Today (31/10) I've been invited by MS to buy the Beta pack of Xbox Live.

So is it the same as every other M$ product; you have to pay for a beta copy ;)

You are a factory of sadness.

• Khab 1 Nov 2002 15:40:39 6,576 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You're gonna hafta PAY to Beta test?! They REALLY have some nerve, don't they?
  • Gurgy 1 Nov 2002 15:47:39 2,618 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes they have got a nerve, but I don't think I can resist.

I suffer from that sad syndrome of if it's new I gotta get it. Did it with PS2 online in Tony Hawks 3, so have just coughed up my card details.

I'm no Xbox fanboy either as I've got all the consoles & a PC so I'm not guilty of falling for Xbox hype as I probably fall for most consoles hype on an equal level.

In a seperate e-mail MS also offered me the chance to give them user feedback and survey info in return for the potential of free games (oh no, Fusion Frenzy). Have I done something special this week or have others received both of these "generous" MS offers ?

Look forward to seeing a few EG'ers on Xbox Live soon.
  • Deleted user 1 November 2002 15:49:14
    Pay for a beta? Who is more desperate, Microsoft or the fanboi's? I wouldn't pay or touch beta anything.
  • ssuellid 1 Nov 2002 16:00:47 19,141 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well it is a beta with two free games and a voice communicator headset.
  • Whizzo 1 Nov 2002 16:02:44 43,264 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes it's not the typical sort of beta, more the retail kit with the word "beta" written on it in crayon isn't it?

This space left intentionally blank.

• Nemesis 1 Nov 2002 16:07:51 18,680 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I didn't get an invite.

/grumble/

• ssuellid 1 Nov 2002 16:09:00 19,141 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nor did I and I did their survey. Ungrateful bastards
  • Gurgy 1 Nov 2002 16:13:38 2,618 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well I suppose I'm doing a public service by testing such a beta. After all someones got to do it and you shouldn't expect MS to ensure things work properly before they are unleashed on the masses now should you (Ahem).

That means I'm either a good chap or a fool. Hmmm....think I've just worked out what I am. Oops.

Anyway it seems that all I need is a crayon eraser and then I've got the full retail thing a bit early. Wow.

Bit miffed that it appears that the online games can't be played in single player offline mode.

• Gurgy 1 Nov 2002 16:17:37 2,618 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ssuellid wrote:
    Nor did I and I did their survey. Ungrateful bastards

I think it may have depended on your internet setup as they asked for isp and how you would connect your Xbox to the net.

Take comfort ssuellid, they may have enough people with your combination to have it safely covered.

By the way, how did you answer the questions ? Truthfully or by choosing the answer you thought MS wanted ?
  • rtr 1 Nov 2002 16:20:48 184 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dammit, I signed up and didnt get selected :(
  • Gurgy 1 Nov 2002 16:25:43 2,618 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My combination was NTL and connect via router to PC.

I answered the questions honestly and thought that it was silly to say that I played Xbox for 250 hours p.w. in case they asked me to do the same on Live.

I think they have only asked me to play online for 2 hours p.w. So if you ever see me simply sat on the starting line in MotoGP then I'm just fulfilling my obligations.
  • ssuellid 1 Nov 2002 16:33:21 19,141 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeh I did answer truefully but I have changed ISP since then.
  • jiroczech 2 Nov 2002 15:47:46 2,669 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Errol wrote:
    It had a totally different feel to any of the online PC games I've played.

In what way ?

I used to play a lot of FPS online on the PC: Team Fortress Classic, Counter-Strike etc.. I think the difference between DC PSO and PC stuff is a bit like the difference between a Mario game and Command & Conquer if you know what I mean? PC stuff tends to have a clinical, technical feel. Maybe because the target audience is made up primarily of young males. PSO at it's best was all about cooperation. The communication system was cool letting you talk to people from all over the world (at it's worst it was boring, repetitive and full of cheaters).

Also.. re: XBox live beta. My setup was broadband connection with Telewest and router.

I don't think there's anything wrong with MS charging for the beta test.. you get some kit and some games and a years subscription - not bad I reckon. Mind you, they can stick their 'bragging rights' up their arse.
  • Khab 2 Nov 2002 17:07:31 6,576 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ReGuRgIt8oR wrote:
    Bit miffed that it appears that the online games can't be played in single player offline mode.

Erm, Ooops. That's, er, REALLY STUPID. Seriously, how many of you guys jump right into a new online game without at least getting a feel for it off-line first?
  • Gurgy 2 Nov 2002 19:36:12 2,618 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Noticed that the version of MotoGP you get is only 3 tracks and 10 riders, but if you own the full single player version you can use your saved game data to open new tracks and riders for use online. Bit of a bugger then as I'll end up having to buy MotoGP Single player.

Still, looking forward to the relase of Unreal Championship which should be interesting to compare the online game experience with UT2003 on my PC.

Anyone know if anymore Xbox Live games are due for release soon ?
  • Gurgy 7 Nov 2002 14:28:27 2,618 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Jiroczech, any news on delivery of your beta kit yet ?

Nothing heard on mine yet.

Had hoped to have it before Unreal Championship out on 15th, as any "beta" time is disappearing fast if the general release date of end of Nov for the "test Drive" kit is still correct.
  • ToxicTed 7 Nov 2002 15:34:50 114 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yes, you pay for the beta, but your one-year-subscription doesn't start until the official launch, doesn't it? So, in a way, the beta period is free, and you don't pay for it.

Or have I misunderstood something?
  • Gurgy 7 Nov 2002 15:48:45 2,618 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TT, that's my understanding also, however I don't understand why I'm offered the Beta kit but don't seem to be due to get it until mid Nov when it should go on public sale either end Nov or 1st Dec. That only gives me 2 weeks to "beta test" so no chance to offer feedback.

Me to MS "It's crap on XYZ Isp"

MS to Me "Who cares, it's on sale tomorrow anyway, bye"
  • brutal 7 Nov 2002 16:04:52 883 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    should be getting mine by the end of the week!! woot!!

(just in time to disturb my vice city playing... grrr)
  • Gurgy 7 Nov 2002 16:08:43 2,618 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Brutal, on what grounds do you think you are getting yours by end of week ?

Have you received a communication from MS?
  • brutal 7 Nov 2002 16:09:48 883 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    yes. they told me so. (but its an inside industry thing....)
  • Gurgy 7 Nov 2002 16:12:32 2,618 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Can you ask them when the rest of the plebs can expect theirs then ?
  • rtr 7 Nov 2002 16:17:49 184 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anybody with a Beta kit got a Pipex Dsl connection? If so I would be interested in how it performs.
  • jiroczech 7 Nov 2002 16:21:58 2,669 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ReGuRgIt8oR wrote:
    Jiroczech, any news on delivery of your beta kit yet ?

Nothing heard on mine yet.

Mine is still 'in process' as of 5 minutes ago..

As I understand it, come Nov. 30th anyone can order the XBox Live kit, but only online from the Xbox site.

So console (bada-boom!) yourself with the probablility that they'll have to wait for fecking ages too. Gives us beta testers a little more time to kid ourselves that we're in on something special.

• Bill-Gates-is-Evil 7 Nov 2002 20:12:19 8,934 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    "Pay for a beta? Who is more desperate, Microsoft or the fanboi's? I wouldn't pay or touch beta anything."

Pssh, another stupid comment by feersum. Did Microsoft kill your dog? Cat? In your distorted view, wouldn't it be more desperate to give the beta away for free rather than sell it? Yet somehow Microsoft's also desperate by selling it?

You are probably the most biased person on the boards, feersum. And I mean that. Almost everything you say is full of Anti-Xbox bigotry.

Plus, if you knew anything about it, it's only beta by name. The online performance with the beta kit will be identical to those who buy it when it's officially released. The only reason they call it beta is because they're trickling them out in order to test the servers before it goes mainstream. The beta kit expires a year after the servers go Live too, just like the normal kits.

I think the only one desperate here is you, feersum.
  • Tiitiz 7 Nov 2002 20:18:16 1,128 posts
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've been accepted but not payed for it just yet. :)))

Yup, we have to by the kit but we would have to when it's released anyway.
    We get to buy it and use it till March 2004 for free :)) Due to the beta online being free and your 1yrs free online starts on the official launch of Xbox Live in the UK.

By March 2004 I expect Broadband is going to be very cheap to rent along side the Xbox live.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous