The official 'How long did it take you to complete Portal' thread

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • JJKrista1 17 Oct 2007 08:51:09 164 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Note to the hard of thinking: If you haven't "heard the song", you haven't completed Portal. I'll say no more...

For me it took ~5 hours, though some of this was spent admiring the game mechanics and mucking around. (Part of the game experience.) If you removed that element you could shave ~30 minutes to an hour off my time.

Bloody good game as well IMHO, candidate for game of the year. I look forward to a sequel.
  • catterz 17 Oct 2007 08:53:29 8,763 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    This probably could've gone in the other Portal thread/s. Not sure how long it took me tbh. Not too long, none of the puzzles were greatly taxing. Took me a while to do some of the Advanced ones however.
  • Deleted user 17 October 2007 08:56:35
    2 hours 20 minutes, according to Steam.
  • Salaman 17 Oct 2007 09:23:33 22,826 posts
    Seen 50 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    2 hours 30 minutes first time.
    A lot less second time.

Metaldog was about 2 hours in at level 18 I think.
  • RedboX 17 Oct 2007 09:52:24 2,427 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    About 4 hours for me, but mostly because I spent a lot of time dicking about with the graphics setttings for my video card and a lot of time experimenting.

I'd read that it was a short game so I was determined to get the most out of it.

I had a lot of fun getting those turrent guns to shoot each other, I love the way they go "its me!!!"
  • Whizzo 17 Oct 2007 09:55:43 44,763 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    3.4 hours according to Steam but that includes putting it on pause while having some dinner and making some phone calls so probably 3 hours actual play time.
  • haowan 17 Oct 2007 10:22:33 7,385 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Around 3 to 3.5 hours. Probably 10 minutes of that was going back and forth with the weighted companion cube and dangling it over the furnace contemplating whether or not to press 'E'.
  • UncleLou Moderator 17 Oct 2007 10:23:59 38,779 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Between 3,5 and 4 hours.

edit: I can't say I ever got really stuck (except once for maybe 10 minutes), so I am a bit surprised to see finishing times of 2:30 and less.
  • Stickman 17 Oct 2007 10:24:37 29,653 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've not played it, but what are anyone else's thoughts on 'Game of the Year' accolade the OP mentioned? Does the fun and innovation make up for the short play time?
  • UncleLou Moderator 17 Oct 2007 10:28:36 38,779 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    I've not played it, but what are anyone else's thoughts on 'Game of the Year' accolade the OP mentioned? Does the fun and innovation make up for the short play time?

It does definitely for me - I'd even go further and say that the fact that it is such a compact game, which you can easily finish in one session, helps the game. It's more than just a short game, it's almost a new kind of game - exremely focussed and concentrated, meant to be played in one piece like a movie is meant to be watched.
  • Stickman 17 Oct 2007 10:32:44 29,653 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The more I hear about this Orange Box, the more I can't believe what Valve have done. It's 30 of awesome.
  • smirny 17 Oct 2007 10:35:47 57 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    steam says 4 hours for me... i have replayed the ending 3 times tho to hear the song before i got the mp3 :)
  • Phattso 17 Oct 2007 10:38:57 21,983 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    About 2hrs 40mins for me; much less the second time through (even though I stopped to listen to all the commentaries).

I was especially impressed that on my second run through I was able to solve many of the puzzles in totally different ways compared to my initial run.
  • silentbob 17 Oct 2007 10:48:17 29,490 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Stickman wrote:
    Not for me. It is without doubt a fantastic acheivement, but there wasn't really enough substance to warrant that kind of accolade for me. In concept, it may be a greater game than Halo 3, STALKER etc. but in content and execution it doesn't quite deliver enough. There's no denying that it really had to be kept short as the environment and premise would have become a little dull after extended playtime.

Although I guess in terms of 'fun moments per hour' it certainly has to win.

Edit: Oh and my playtime (although I havent't checked) will be massive as I kept leavning it in game to go and do stuff, including hours playing on PGR4. did the same for episode 2 as well, really must stop that.
  • Ravenger 17 Oct 2007 10:57:45 190 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    4.5 hours.

Some of that was trying to figure out what the heck to do in the later challenges. Some was due to me trying over and over again some of the tricky ones that require you to create portals while in mid-air.

I loved the game, especially the GLADos dialogue and the final section. I'm part way through building a papercraft Weighted Companion Cube, though I suppose it'd be an Un-weighted Companion Cube because it's so light.

I was struck by how much this game reminded me of the pen and paper RPG Paranoia, with its deranged computer that's constantly going wrong, the 'insert name here' bits in the dialogue, the testing of mysterious high-tech gadgets in a dangerous environment, and the atmosphere of paranoia and fear because you haven't a clue what's really going on.
  • haowan 17 Oct 2007 11:17:40 7,385 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Stickman wrote:

I agree with UL - the short play time makes it a different kind of game, and I think it is definitely a good thing. More games should be this short. Not all games, obviously, but I love how concentrated and driven the story in Portal is. Definitely one of the better games I've played in ages. I don't like a singular "GOTY" because so many great games get released every year, but this is easily one of them.
  • hulahoops 17 Oct 2007 12:06:42 2,311 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    *** SPOILERS ***

I got to the point where one of the components of the computer flies off but is held suspended in the air, at which point I had to save and quit.

I went back on later to find, to my horror, that my girlfriend had overwritten my save files with her own awkward attempt to trudge through the game.

Is it worth me re-doing the levels lost to see what remains of the game? Anyone kind enough to let me know what happens?

I thought it was a perfect length, by the way. :) Took me about 5 hours to get to where I was, I think, partially due to taking a leisurely pace but mostly due to not being very good at it. :)
  • JJKrista1 17 Oct 2007 12:16:15 164 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I found portal to be one of the most innovative, playable and fun games I've played this year on the PC and I've tried/played most.

I admit it is a short game, so I'd be less happy if I'd stumped up ~30 for it, but given its included 'for free' in the Orange Box, it represents outstanding value for money and the best bang for yer buck this side of WWIII. Plus once you've completed it, there's the advanced levels, which I've just started.

Personally, I can't see how anyone could complete this game in less than 3-3.5 hours unless they're some sort of FPS cum puzzle cum multi-dimensioal physics portal guru cum gaming genius.

Or I'm some sort of Portal 'tard...
  • MrCarrot 17 Oct 2007 12:22:33 3,524 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    BlankOBlank! wrote:
    Is it worth me re-doing the levels lost to see what remains of the game?

Definitely!
  • MetalDog 17 Oct 2007 12:24:38 24,080 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    What I saw of it at Salaman's I liked a lot, a lot. I wish there were more games like this around - steam free ones. Short, clean, funny and innovative.
  • Pike 17 Oct 2007 12:26:18 13,458 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hmm, I think it took me between two and three hours,tops, of fanatstically enjoyable and original gaming. I have played around a few hours with the advanced maps though, so I can't check the exactt time.
  • pauleyc 17 Oct 2007 12:37:37 4,548 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    About 3-3.5 hours I guess. I got stuck only once, at the beginning of level 15 before I figured out the way to increase momentum (it was late...). The second run took me about 1.5 hours.
  • Phattso 17 Oct 2007 12:42:01 21,983 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    BlankOBlank! wrote:
    Is it worth me re-doing the levels lost to see what remains of the game? Anyone kind enough to let me know what happens?

You don't need to re-do them all. You can re-start from the beginning of any level you've unlocked I think?
  • Nuttah 17 Oct 2007 12:45:53 1,840 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Slightly less than 2 hours on the first run. Developer run through took a lot less (just over 1 hour). The advanced maps took me another 1-2 hours to complete and I have yet to complete all the challenges.

I do believe (as they say themselves) that this has a lot more potential than currently shown, be interested to see where they can take this.
  • HarryB 17 Oct 2007 13:54:44 7,177 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    can't wait til christmas :D
  • Whizzo 17 Oct 2007 13:58:17 44,763 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nuttah wrote:I do believe (as they say themselves) that this has a lot more potential than currently shown, be interested to see where they can take this.
    /taps foot waiting for Episode 3...
  • hulahoops 17 Oct 2007 15:29:36 2,311 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    BlankOBlank! wrote:

You don't need to re-do them all. You can re-start from the beginning of any level you've unlocked I think?
    Yeah, but the last level includes everything from the final exercise up to the computer.

I dunno, it's not all that much I suppose, should have it done in about 15 minutes or so now I know how to do it.
  • Deleted user 17 October 2007 15:50:23
    You're pretty much right at the last boss there, but I'm fairly sure once you're outside of the complex it autosaves at regular intervals anyway, so see if they're there.

It's worth going through again though, just for the best credit sequence in memory.
  • Psychotext 20 Oct 2007 15:58:32 62,015 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    About 2 hours... including a couple of fag breaks. Excellent game though. Funny, challenging and an excellent credit sequence! =D
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.