Popcorn Page 4

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Next
  • Deleted user 10 January 2013 19:45:18
    Salt and sweet popcorn is called Kettle Corn over here, and it's awesome. Usually only found at county fairs and the like, though.

But anyway, all this flavoured popcorn nonsense and its fad as the healthy snack du jour just reminds me of the ricecake craze from a few years back. Tasteless shite sold for a premium, purporting to be healthy but only because it's low calorie - the flavourings usually have so many chemicals in you might as well just eat an air freshener.
  • elstoof 10 Jan 2013 20:23:58 9,753 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Popcorn is so last year, 2013 is the year of the popcorn-ricecake.
  • Lexx87 10 Jan 2013 20:28:30 20,853 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Popcake surely.

Ricepop.
  • ronuds 10 Jan 2013 20:39:36 21,786 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not a huge fan of the pre-packed popcorn - always seems a little stale. Still, I suppose if you squirt enough chemicals on it, it'll taste good.

Not that Orville Redenbacher's microwave stuff is any better - probably to the contrary. They've got one now that turns into a bowl while it's popping, though... it doesn't get any easier than that!
  • elstoof 10 Jan 2013 21:25:36 9,753 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not as stale as the stuff cinemas charge 6 quid for.
  • localnotail 10 Jan 2013 21:41:27 23,084 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Maker, schmaker. Just fill the largest pan you have (that has a lid) with a one-deep layer of kernels (very cheap from local corner shop), add oil to coat all. Put lid on pan. Place on high heat, swirl them about occasionally. When they really start to pop reduce the heat to medium. When there is more than 2 seconds between pops again, turn off the heat. Enjoy.
  • DaM 30 Jan 2015 11:28:47 14,168 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Off work with a sick child, and I always get peckish, so have made a lavish popcorn spice mix from here - (yes, in theory I could do work, but...).

Really tasty.
  • mothercruncher 30 Jan 2015 11:45:16 9,735 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've perfected a method (for me) over the years- I must have saved enough making my own to buy a small tropical island, I reckon. Opposite of your local ;)

Kernels to cover the base of the pan (a tallish veg pan, not a frying pan etc), half olive oil, half butter, cover with lid. Low heat to toast them for about 10 minutes, as I suspect they're about to pop I add a couple of small blobs of butter and, once the first pop happens, switch to high heat to get them popped quickly. Regular jiggling of pan at this point to avoid any sitting on the bottom for too long.

For sweet- add a couple of desert spoons of sugar. If you want them slightly caramelised then add the sugar in about ten seconds in to the popping. That'll give enough time for the sugar to burn very slightly by the time they've all popped. For "regular" sweet add the sugar in later, just enough for it to warm through and melt a bit.

For sweet/salty- pre-prepare a container with a heaped desert spoon of sugar and 3/4 of a teaspoon of salt. Mix and chuck in toward the end of the popping process.

Thatís some hard won popcorn knowledge there- many, many popcorns have died to bring you this information.
  • crashVoodoo 30 Jan 2015 14:51:35 4,217 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @mothercruncher many thanks for this, gonna give it a whirl later. Bag of popcorn has been sitting unloved in the cupboard for months
  • RyanDS 30 Jan 2015 15:54:59 10,674 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fucking deviants.† Popcorn gets salt.†† Only nazi Scum would make sweet popcorn.
  • Deleted user 4 February 2015 07:05:11
    I had cheese popcorn the other day. Was like a cheesey powder that you added after popping the kernels. I wouldn't eat it again.
  • CosmicFuzz 4 Feb 2015 07:41:43 28,847 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I went through a cheesy popcorn phase on holiday in the States once. Ate bags and bags of the stuff. Never tried it since, not sure I could.
  • Deleted user 4 February 2015 09:48:27
    There is something strangely unnatural about it. It tastes ok but you get the feeling that something isn't right and that you really shouldn't be eating it. Some foods just don't go together.
  • Psychotext 4 Feb 2015 10:08:55 57,523 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Last year I ordered one of these from the US: http://www.amazon.com/Presto-04830-PowerPop-Microwave-Multi-Popper/dp/B00005IBXK
    Fantastic bit of kit.

I tend to make mine with a little coconut oil and ground sea salt. Takes about three minutes.
  • Rivuzu 4 Feb 2015 10:15:46 8,793 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I need to get in on this Popcorn action. A friend made some Chilli and Honey Popcorn before that was fantastic. Not sure if I can recreate, but really want to try!
  • mothercruncher 4 Feb 2015 21:01:56 9,735 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Go for it- tiny bit of chilli, good glug of honey- add them in just as it begins to pop and shake the shit out of it over the heat :)
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Next