PS3 'A waste of everybody's time'

  • Page

    of 10 First / Last

    Previous
  • Paulanator 11 Oct 2007 13:26:48 482 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=173540

    Also talks about the PS3 version of The Orange Box, and how it will struggle to match up to the 360/PC versions.
  • malteaserhead 11 Oct 2007 13:30:21 13,444 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Paulanator wrote:
    http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=173540

    Also talks about the PS3 version of The Orange Box, and how it will struggle to match up to the 360/PC verions.
  • Tonka 11 Oct 2007 13:31:59 20,026 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Flametastic

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • Deleted user 11 October 2007 13:32:22
    It's let me play my old PS1 games without actually looking my PS1 out. It's not a total waste.
  • Carlo 11 Oct 2007 13:34:33 17,949 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Flametastic

    PSN ID: Djini

  • thedaveeyres 11 Oct 2007 13:36:24 10,709 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    boabg wrote:
    It's let me play my old PS1 games without actually looking my PS1 out. It's not a total waste.

    This is the only thing that was swaying me towards getting one.... nice one Sony!

    D****** ******r

    XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

  • Blerk Moderator 11 Oct 2007 13:36:45 48,225 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ouch!

    Given the difficulty people have had porting PC and 360 stuff to the PS3, however... you've got to say he's probably not far wrong.

    Sony would've done much better to have gone with a more standard architecture.
  • gogobaka 11 Oct 2007 13:40:17 688 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sony's for including Blu-ray?
  • keyboardmonkey 11 Oct 2007 13:40:25 409 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    boabg wrote:
    It's let me play my old PS1 games without actually looking my PS1 out. It's not a total waste.

    The reason i haven't bought a PS3 yet! I still have a PS2 to play the PS1 games on :D Final Fantasy, Namco Museum etc...

    I would like the PS3 to succeed and have some really great games, but only when it comes down to a price i am willing to pay :D even with the recent price cuts/ hardware cuts i think it's still that little bit too expensive.

    \ I am sure all the people who own a PS3 will read the article, realise that the guy knows what he's talking about as he has produced the odd game here and there and accept that Sony may have made a slight mistake. On the other hand ooohh flying pigs

  • LeD 11 Oct 2007 13:40:42 6,210 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fruit_Salad wrote:
    Remind me whose console had the biggest design fault tho ;)

    The PS3. They stupidly built Blu-Ray in.

    Edit: Damn you gogobaka!
  • Youthist 11 Oct 2007 13:41:34 10,010 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Surely is harder to get it to work like the other versions because its newer technology therefore developers need more time to learn the ins and outs? Then later in the life cycle the extra grunt will come to the fore and show the power of it over its rivals.

    I am not surprised its harder to develop for at the moment - but in one year +? Its getting a harder time in the head to head stakes at the moment but thats surely because the 360 is now a comfortable platform for developers to work on.

    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

  • Hunam 11 Oct 2007 13:41:41 20,674 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeD wrote:
    Fruit_Salad wrote:
    Remind me whose console had the biggest design fault tho ;)

    The PS3. They stupidly built Blu-Ray in.

    Blu-Ray is the best bit of the console, i am increasingly worried about the length of 360 games because of the DVD format.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2007 13:42:56
    Youthist wrote:
    Surely is harder to get it to work like the other versions because its newer technology therefore developers need more time to learn the ins and outs? Then later in the life cycle the extra grunt will come to the fore and show the power of it over its rivals.
    /has flashbacks to reading Saturn Magazine
  • thedaveeyres 11 Oct 2007 13:42:56 10,709 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    Cell means GIGAFLOPZ, POWAH Marketing which Sony mistakenly thought the public give a shit about...

    Even in a bastion of geekdom such as these forums.... it's all about the games. It always will be. Anything else is just masturbation.

    D****** ******r

    XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

  • Youthist 11 Oct 2007 13:44:06 10,010 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    Youthist wrote:
    Surely is harder to get it to work like the other versions because its newer technology therefore developers need more time to learn the ins and outs? Then later in the life cycle the extra grunt will come to the fore and show the power of it over its rivals.
    /has flashbacks to reading Saturn Magazine

    Heh - yeah, maybe you are right....Who knows :-/

    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

  • LeD 11 Oct 2007 13:44:43 6,210 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hunam wrote:
    LeD wrote:
    Fruit_Salad wrote:
    Remind me whose console had the biggest design fault tho ;)

    The PS3. They stupidly built Blu-Ray in.

    Blu-Ray is the best bit of the console, i am increasingly worried about the length of 360 games because of the DVD format.

    To be fair, Blu-Ray is the bit I've been using the most. :)

    I hear what you say about game's length, but in real terms I think 12 to 18 hours is just about what I have time for. Not that I can't fit the time, it's just hard to stay focused and motivated if a game drags on for hours on end.

    Edith Piaf:

    Don't forget that HS is only 6-8 hours in spite of Blu-Ray, while AC is 20 to 30 hours, and fits on a DVD.
  • Blerk Moderator 11 Oct 2007 13:45:39 48,225 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Blerk wrote:
    Ouch!

    Given the difficulty people have had porting PC and 360 stuff to the PS3, however... you've got to say he's probably not far wrong.

    Sony would've done much better to have gone with a more standard architecture.
    Tis all powerpc innit.
    Well, yes - instruction-wise. But the way the multi-core stuff is organised is completely different.
  • ecureuil 11 Oct 2007 13:45:54 76,536 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    Youthist wrote:
    Surely is harder to get it to work like the other versions because its newer technology therefore developers need more time to learn the ins and outs? Then later in the life cycle the extra grunt will come to the fore and show the power of it over its rivals.
    /has flashbacks to reading Saturn Magazine

    Well, no, since the Saturn was always technically inferior. PS3 isn't.
  • keyboardmonkey 11 Oct 2007 13:45:59 409 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    Surely is harder to get it to work like the other versions because its newer technology therefore developers need more time to learn the ins and outs?

    It's been out sometime in Japan you know, and the Dev's probably had kit before the console was released :p

    I would have expected at least one dev to have developed a Gears of War type title (no i don't mean Resistance:FOM), i mean the sort of game that pushes the hardware that little bit further than any of the release line up ever could.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2007 13:46:26
    ecureuil wrote:
    Well, no, since the Saturn was always technically inferior. PS3 isn't.
    Tell that to 2D!

    Besides; it was mostly in regards to that kind-of-impressive-maybe 3D Sonic stage in Sonic Collection that the claims of the Saturn's true power were made. Along with the early Shenmue shots.
  • Pike 11 Oct 2007 13:48:10 13,448 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    Cell means GIGAFLOPZ, POWAH Marketing which Sony mistakenly thought the public give a shit about...

    Even in a bastion of geekdom such as these forums.... it's all about the games. It always will be. Anything else is just masturbation.

    Nothing wrong with mastrubation.

  • gareth886 11 Oct 2007 13:48:40 2,841 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is this not a good example of trolling?
  • moggsy 11 Oct 2007 13:49:52 3,860 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If I'd have been designing the PS3, I'd have either done a beefed up PS2 (i.e. keep the same architecture that the devs are familiar with but give it more grunt) or gone for a more PC centric solution like the 360.

    That's where they've gone wrong. That and the stupid initial price anyway...
  • Hunam 11 Oct 2007 13:50:15 20,674 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LeD wrote:
    Hunam wrote:
    LeD wrote:
    Fruit_Salad wrote:
    Remind me whose console had the biggest design fault tho ;)

    The PS3. They stupidly built Blu-Ray in.

    Blu-Ray is the best bit of the console, i am increasingly worried about the length of 360 games because of the DVD format.

    To be fair, Blu-Ray is the bit I've been using the most. :)

    I hear what you say about game's length, but in real terms I think 12 to 18 hours is just about what I have time for. Not that I can't fit the time, it's just hard to stay focused and motivated if a game drags on for hours on end.

    Edith Piaf:

    Don't forget that HS is only 6-8 hours in spite of Blu-Ray, while AC is 20 to 30 hours, and fits on a DVD.

    All games like that are abit short, but Halo was criminally short, and as the 360 goes on, the more detailed the games are going to get whch requires more space, and procedural texturing uses uncompressed textures off the disc, which is also going to hamper game length.

    I think MS should have just put a HD-DVD drive in and had done with it. I mean the Wii uses some dvdlike format, but because of the tech base its more than enough space for giant games. Iunno, guess i'm just getting bored for games that i can finish on the same saturday.
  • Deleted user 11 October 2007 13:51:02
    Halo really isn't criminally short at all.
  • Killerbee 11 Oct 2007 13:52:01 5,016 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    /winces

    It can't be nice for Sony to hear this, but then Valve have always been PC developers first and foremost, so it makes sense that they'd favour the 360 over the competition.

    That said, I wouldn't buy a PS3 to play shooters that are probably better at home on the PC. I would buy a PS3 to play MGS4, Final Fantasy XIII and the next Team ICO game. The real problem is that those are all still some way off in the future...

    The only thing even making me think about getting a PS3 now is the fear that Sony will just continue taking things out of the spec to get the price down to a sensible level and the launch 60GB models might actually be the best the PS3 ever gets...
  • Page

    of 10 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply