Sky HD - Worth It? Alternatives? Page 4

• Page

of 41 First / Last

• binky Moderator 13 Aug 2008 10:32:22 9,435 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Upgraded to sky movies last week seeing as they actually have some decent HD stuff on there at the moment. Really pleased I did, Bladerunner looked superb the other night :D
  • glaeken 13 Aug 2008 10:40:14 11,094 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Juninho wrote:
    if you upgrade to Sky HD is there any way of transferring over the programmes that are stored on your current Sky Plus box?

Good question as I have been wondering the same thing for a while. I was thinking I might have to run with both boxes for a while still connected to my TV until I have watched everything on the old box but it would be great if there were someway to transfer everything.

• Deleted user 16 August 2008 06:52:21
    The_Salad_Guild wrote:
    Sky HD - update!

I was watching Channel 4 HD and switched to Channel 4 SD and didn't notice a major difference. Don't get me wrong, there is a difference, just no "OMG HD is the new christ" or something like that.

Channel 4 though, well done for transferring your entire channel to HD so quickly. Come on BBC!!! I wanna see Eastenders in HD. Roxy :p

C4 do not deserve your plaudits, I'm afraid. You didn't notice a major difference because what you were watching was almost certainly not in HD, for the simple reason that there is virtually no HD content on C4 HD. Hollyoaks, yes - the occasional Friday / Saturday night film, yes, but virtually everything else, no.

The channels that actually live up to billing and only show HD stuff are the BBC HD channel, the three Sky Movies channels, and FX HD. Sky Sports has a decent amount of stuff on, Sky 1 HD has almost nothing, and the rest are just crap.
  • effinjamie 16 Aug 2008 08:50:04 880 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sky really are Fuckers! Recently had to replace my sky+ box . No matter how many times I explained " NO, I'm not paying an installation fee as all the wiring is already in place, all I need is a replacement box"
    Ebay is your friend

PSN - effinjamie Xbox - effinjamie

• wobbler147 26 Aug 2008 15:19:41 5,136 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sky HD cheapness tip: Ring up to cancel and as if by magic the price comes down to 99 installed :)
  • TheSaint 26 Aug 2008 15:28:23 14,199 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How are the HD boxes these days? I have heard they have lots of bugs (not recording etc) which has put me off but still really tempted.
  • wobbler147 26 Aug 2008 16:56:40 5,136 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Some Thomson ones are being reported as being a bit dodgy but Pace and Samsung have just had theirs released so should be ok.
  • Deleted user 26 August 2008 17:12:52
    My Thomson one is an utter piece of shit. Just had to reset the fucker as input 2 signal dropped off last night when it was supposed to be recording the bastard Wire and didn't tell me. Resetting it is a weekly (sometimes more) ritual that even my completely un-tech savvy g/f has learned to deal with. Anyone know if I ring up for a replacement if I'll get one of the new 500gb ones...?
  • Dougs 26 Aug 2008 18:37:17 66,653 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    wobbler147 wrote:
    Sky HD cheapness tip: Ring up to cancel and as if by magic the price comes down to 99 installed :)

Been reading on other forums about the 75 + 30 install deal as well. Seems entirely random. Very tempted by it, birthday present or so I've been told!
  • Bremenacht 26 Aug 2008 20:40:36 17,606 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm waiting for a HD PVR to come out - then I'll buy a dish and get Freesat. Not having Sky already, buying the Sky HD package seems an expensive way of getting HD.
  • FixedInfinity 26 Aug 2008 21:12:28 1,682 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My Thompson has been buggering up for months now, but it now appears to be seriously buggered. Getting replaced on Thursday.
  • Deleted user 27 August 2008 07:27:43
    Bremenacht wrote:
    I'm waiting for a HD PVR to come out - then I'll buy a dish and get Freesat. Not having Sky already, buying the Sky HD package seems an expensive way of getting HD.

It is an expensive way of getting HD, but that's because HD is expensive. No two ways about it - if you want a range of HD stuff, you have to have Sky HD. Freesat just isn't in the same ballpark. They offer two HD channels, only one of which (BBC) offers 100% HD programming, and even then only between 7pm and midnight.

I'm not trying to sock for Sky or anything, but it's not really relevant to compare Sky and Freesat's HD services. Yes, Freesat is subscription-free, but only once you've stumped up a fairly hefty one-off charge for the box and installation, and then you get an extremely limited HD service that will probably not strike you as particularly good value for money.
  • FooAtari 27 Aug 2008 08:50:05 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sky is still a rip-off though. I pay for the full package, and it annoys the hell out of me everytime an advert comes on during live sports.

Im thinking about getting HD, but the girlf friend wont let until after our wedding later in the year. And I'm sure that much like Sky + did the extra monthly charge will eventually be dropped.
  • TheSaint 27 Aug 2008 09:39:24 14,199 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really can't believe that in 2008 people still moan about adverts they are a fact of life so we might as well just accept it.

• DaisyD 27 Aug 2008 10:06:51 11,818 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We have the V+HD box and it's great! No extra 15 a month for HD channels either. Unfortunately there aren't many HD Channels available on it yet, but they do plenty of on demand TV shows and movies in HD which is awesome!.
  • wobbler147 27 Aug 2008 10:19:13 5,136 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I nearly went for V+HD until I found out that they can't supply Skysports in HD which is what I wanted it for.
  • Deleted user 27 August 2008 10:35:48
    DaisyD wrote:
    We have the V+HD box and it's great! No extra 15 a month for HD channels either. Unfortunately there aren't many HD Channels available on it yet, but they do plenty of on demand TV shows and movies in HD which is awesome!.

Again, it's not comparing like-for-like. You don't pay the extra (10, not 15) because Sky aren't charging it to Virgin, because they aren't giving them access to the extra channels.

I feel like I'm over-defending Sky here, but basically I feel OK paying the premium for HD because I know it's the best service. Have a look here and you get an idea of how far ahead Sky HD really is compared to Freesat and Virgin.
  • Aurifex. 27 Aug 2008 10:36:25 1,030 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What about Freesat, isnt that going to be in HD.
  • FooAtari 27 Aug 2008 11:04:06 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    I really can't believe that in 2008 people still moan about adverts they are a fact of life so we might as well just accept it.

I don't mind adverts as such, I just don't see why it can't be like the movie channels and just not show adds during live events. For example take something like A1GP, adverts during the race every 15 bloody minutes or wahtever it is. I can understand it during races on ITV or Eurosport as they "free to air" by Sky get a shit load of cash for their Sports channels. Why not just show adverts straight before the race and adverts right after. What annoys me even more is Football doesn't suffer from that, adverts at half-time only. Thats 45 mins of no adverts...
  • TheSaint 24 Sep 2008 09:24:55 14,199 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well I finally took the plunge the 75 + 30 offer on their site was too hard to resist. Hopefully after the 15 they credit your account and 15 through quidco it should work out as free install.

Being installed on Saturday so better get watching the stuff on our old sky+ box.
  • Dougs 24 Sep 2008 10:11:03 66,653 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fucking sweet. Was just coming on to check if the offer was true.

/Orders
  • Dougs 24 Sep 2008 10:21:19 66,653 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Godm, how shit is the Sky website? Slow as fuck and when I finally went to check out it said my order couldn't be completed. Try again....
  • rare_uk 24 Sep 2008 10:24:06 3,562 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hope that's not an indication of what their broadband speeds are like
  • glaeken 24 Sep 2008 10:27:02 11,094 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was just looking at that deal and the site seems Ok to me. I am on a very fat pipe though.

That is actually a great deal compared with normal so I think I am going to go for it :)
  • Dougs 24 Sep 2008 10:27:08 66,653 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FFS. Nope, def can't complete my order online. Time to have a rant and make sure I get my extra 15 off. Still doesn't help with Quidco though
  • Dougs 24 Sep 2008 12:24:14 66,653 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Piss takers. Refused to add the extra 15. Website still not letting me in. Anyone else had any joy since this morning other than TheSaint?
  • Dougs 25 Sep 2008 09:25:08 66,653 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FFS. Their upgrade part of their site is down entirely now. Wankers.
  • pistol 25 Sep 2008 11:16:55 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Piss takers. Refused to add the extra 15. Website still not letting me in. Anyone else had any joy since this morning other than TheSaint?

I managed to get the order processed online this morning and got the 15 deal, so keep trying.
  • Dougs 25 Sep 2008 12:36:38 66,653 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cheers pistol - did you have problems before? Either won't load the page or gives me the "sorry we can't continue with your order online" message. Not sure if it's just a fault or a problem with my account. First time I tried I got through to put my email address in but that's it. Maybe I'll try when it's really quiet!
  • Page

of 41 First / Last