Sky HD - Worth It? Alternatives? Page 3

• Page

of 41 First / Last

• pistol 26 May 2008 18:24:01 13,019 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TeamFifaEurogamer wrote:
    What about the two Sky Movie HD channels though.

They're ok, but nothing special, plus I've not been overly impressed with the films they've been broadcasting of late. Still prefer to choose what i want on Blue Ray.

Don't get me wrong, some of the channels look very nice, but it's still a rip off price wise at the moment.
  • binky Moderator 24 Jul 2008 10:26:05 9,436 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anyone interested now the box has been cut to 150?

I'm thinking of pressing the BUY button today, but still a bit annoyed at the extra unnecessary 60 install fee :/
  • nickthegun 24 Jul 2008 10:30:25 58,784 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I dont know if its been mentioned, but you can buy boxes yourself from ebay or sattelite equipment retailers and plumb them in yourself.

They run on exactly the same co-ax cables.

I also know one guy who rang up sky to get the Sky HD, told them he wouldnt pay 60 quid for a guy to fiddle around with two wires and, he says, they waived the fee. So you could always try that.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• binky Moderator 24 Jul 2008 10:38:30 9,436 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nick - I tried ringing the other day and they wound me right up when I was asking about the fee. Refusing to drop it and not telling me WHY I needed it. A quick google shows up a few forums that say if you try the old "oh I won't bother then" Sky seem to be saying, ok!! ??

gits.

If you order online I think they credit your account 15, so thats better than nothing i guess..

Ebay prices don't seem to be reflecting the new price cut tbh. So at those prices I'd rather buy new from sky.
  • binky Moderator 24 Jul 2008 10:38:31 9,436 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Post deleted
  • TheSaint 24 Jul 2008 10:48:00 14,200 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lots of people on digital spy seem to be saying that if you ring them and mention wanting HD but credit crunch etc they are offering box for 75 + 30 install.
  • mrpon 24 Jul 2008 11:25:08 28,437 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Saw an advert last night for Panasonic TV with built in FreeSat. Anyone looked into this?

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Razer 24 Jul 2008 11:37:41 1,029 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A mate of mine has a HD freesat box, and the quality is just as good as Sky HD from what I have seen of both . Haven't watched much, it was mainly footie when Euro 2008 was on, but I was happy with both sources.

• TheSaint 24 Jul 2008 11:40:10 14,200 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Freesat is all well and good but sky sports is the big draw for me so sky is the only option.
  • binky Moderator 24 Jul 2008 11:41:47 9,436 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bah! Just rang up and they wouldn't budge from the 150 +60 install.
    Told them about friends getting better deals and they couldn't offer me anything :(

and MAN they try it on with that multiroom shite don't they!
  • TheSaint 24 Jul 2008 11:44:04 14,200 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Try reading

Here

and

Here
  • binky Moderator 24 Jul 2008 12:01:28 9,436 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    See the other thing that makes me laugh is that a lot of the forum folk are saying that to get the deal they had to take out a premium package (or both) which they weren't currently on. So this probably adds an extra 7-15 quid on top of their monthly outgoings anyway.

So by my (admittedly crap maths) they're probably paying the same as a 150+60 box anyway??
  • TheSaint 24 Jul 2008 12:10:28 14,200 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah that deal is only any good if you have movies or sport but what is the point of having sky hd without at least one of those anyway?
  • binky Moderator 24 Jul 2008 12:37:39 9,436 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    2nd attempt. Got through to scotty land on this number: 01506 421825 and used these extensions (1 4 5 3 4) and spoke to a lovely lady who done me sky hd for 75, install 30!
  • binky Moderator 28 Jul 2008 12:32:35 9,436 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And we're installed.

Shame there's nothing to watch... :)
  • Deleted user 29 July 2008 08:42:43
    I love my Sky HD. I've had it for over a year and paid the full whack, and I'm happy with it, so for all you lucky bastards paying 150 or less for the box, I'd be chuffed with that.

IMO, it's only worth it for the full service, since most of the HD content is premium sports and movies. FX HD is probably the best of the other HD channels as (like BBC HD) it only screens actual HD stuff, but there's nothing I'm actually into watching on it. Bummer. Channel 4 HD is a dispicable waste of time and bandwidth - you get maybe one thing a day in HD, including the godawful shitebucket that is Hollyoaks.

The other problem with it is that once you've watched a game of footy or a movie in HD, going back to SD is painful, truly painful. I curse when Liverpool aren't on Sky Sports in the Champions League, but hopefully ITV'll get fucked over by the credit crunch or something and cave in to giving Sky the rights to their HD channel, which is the only thing currently making Freesat attractive.
  • Dougs 29 Jul 2008 09:29:56 66,666 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    binky wrote:
    2nd attempt. Got through to scotty land on this number: 01506 421825 and used these extensions (1 4 5 3 4) and spoke to a lovely lady who done me sky hd for 75, install 30!

Damn, that is tempting. Haven't even got my HD telly yet...!
  • binky Moderator 29 Jul 2008 09:49:30 9,436 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have to say, I thought Channel 4HD looked quite a bit better than the standard channel 4. I assumed there was some upscaling going on there?

I'm wondering whether it's worth me dumping my LOVEFILM.com subscription and bunging Sky Movies back on now they're showing HD stuff. I took the lovefilm sub because I preferred the range of films, but now Hd-dvd has died I'm stuck without hd movies until bluray becomes worth while.
  • Deleted user 29 July 2008 10:19:50
    binky wrote:
    I have to say, I thought Channel 4HD looked quite a bit better than the standard channel 4. I assumed there was some upscaling going on there?

I'm wondering whether it's worth me dumping my LOVEFILM.com subscription and bunging Sky Movies back on now they're showing HD stuff. I took the lovefilm sub because I preferred the range of films, but now Hd-dvd has died I'm stuck without hd movies until bluray becomes worth while.

If you can be disciplined with your Sky+ (i.e. not hang onto five HD films that you will watch "some day" as I often do!), and make the most of the selection on Anytime, I would definitely recommend getting rid of Lovefilm. I did the same -started watching HD-DVDs from LF, but now I've done all the ones I want to that I don't own. The HD movies on Sky can be frustratingly repetitive, but the quality is spot on. You also now get Premier in HD as well as Screen 1 and Screen 2, which is a decent addition.

As regards C4, if there is any difference in quality between the normal and HD channel for non HD programming, I would guess that would be because it's showing in progressive scan rather than interlaced? Maybe? I dunno. Anyone? All I know is it's a blatant misrepresentation and OFCOM should force the lazy twats to put more HD stuff on it to justify its existence.
  • binky Moderator 29 Jul 2008 10:37:09 9,436 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    True blue, but at least they have a channel there ready and waiting which is more than you can say for a lot of big name stations. I can't believe that MTV don't have a HD presence for instance. Not that I'd watch it mind you, but surely music in 5.1 would be a fairly decent upgrade!

I like lovefilm, but I'm less concerned about getting the new releases these days since we got sky + and started watching more telly because of that. Saying that, lovefilm was saving us money on A) going to the rental places and B) actually buying dvds as frequently as I did.

Maybe I'll dump it now or do a "payment holiday" and upgrade to movies until someone buys me a bluray player :)

Oh and I didn't realise there was a 3rd HD movie channel on Sky now. Good call :)
  • FooAtari 29 Jul 2008 10:40:06 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is it still an extra tenner a month?
  • binky Moderator 29 Jul 2008 10:54:11 9,436 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    for HD? Yeah.
  • kalel 29 Jul 2008 10:59:40 86,344 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone gone for the Virgin V+ box? On paper it seemd to be a good deal. Quite a lot cheaper, and the box itself is better (3 channels), plus you get all the on demand stuff. And you can still get Sky Sports and all that.
  • TheSaint 29 Jul 2008 11:22:20 14,200 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No Sky sports HD though.
  • oceanmotion 29 Jul 2008 11:27:10 15,651 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Anyone gone for the Virgin V+ box? On paper it seemd to be a good deal. Quite a lot cheaper, and the box itself is better (3 channels), plus you get all the on demand stuff. And you can still get Sky Sports and all that.

Read it can be a bit of a nightmare.

Check out the cableforum for discussions

Virgin On Demand is alright, I don't really watch the catalogue of shows they have even though I like them and catch up is a nice edition when it's decent programs but it's not all channels.
  • Juninho 13 Aug 2008 09:20:38 1,825 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    if you upgrade to Sky HD is there any way of transferring over the programmes that are stored on your current Sky Plus box?

• Deleted user 13 August 2008 09:22:44
    Can't you burn them to DVD?
  • Juninho 13 Aug 2008 09:27:09 1,825 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I suppose I could. Seems like a hassle as I've got a whole series of The Wire, most of Dexter series 2 and bits and pieces.

I'm quite lazy.
  • PearOfAnguish 13 Aug 2008 10:08:33 7,138 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've got Freesat with the Humax HD box. BBC HD looks lovely for the few hours it broadcasts each night, not seen ITV yet. Those are the only two HD channels, though, so I wouldn't recommend it if HD is a priority.
  • gamingdave 13 Aug 2008 10:14:31 4,183 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ive been on Virgin, with the V+ box for a year. A good solid service, that I have had no problems with. The on demand is very good, but I dont really use it much.

Moving next month, and so I think I will be getting Sky, as I can put a dish up this time, and I want decent HD. Thats the one problem with Virgin, the BBC HD channel looks great, and there is some HD on demand (for free) but I want more. Will be getting the film chanells with Sky and have lots of lovely HD goodness there.

If Virgin had better HD I would be sticking with them.
  • Page

of 41 First / Last