Sky HD - Worth It? Alternatives? Page 39

• Page

of 41 First / Last

• JiveHound 11 Dec 2013 17:37:00 2,346 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Which two are those? Spurs and Chelsea?
    Yeah. Chelsea has just been confirmed I think.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• wizardofoz85 11 Dec 2013 18:10:45 309 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @JiveHound hopefully I'll remember it and be able to control myself but I can see it being pretty easy to forget and have the urge to download all the ps plus content at once during those hours
  • Dougs 2 Jan 2014 14:35:24 66,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone tried replacing their HDD in a Sky HD+ box? Mine is failing, needing a rebuild pretty regularly, meaning I'm losing recordings. Sky want 250 for a new 2TB box, fuck that. Looks quite straightforward, but just wondered if anyone had first hand experience....
  • bad09 30 Apr 2014 21:16:13 5,643 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nice new idea out of Sky. Buy & Keep

http://www.sky.com/products/ways-to-watch/sky-store/buy-and-keep/

Rent a film and get as DVD in the post all charged to your bill. Very nice if you fancy a film but have no cash or have a impulse watch on a film you don't mind keeping...could do with a blu option

/ hides future sky bills
  • binky Moderator 10 Jun 2014 10:13:16 9,456 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's that time of year again.

Been weighing up the cost of SKY vs BT, and from what I can tell, BT = 33 a month all in, Sky = 90 (going by my current bill).

Anyone had any joy with SKY with the "I'm leaving" routine, of late?
  • brewer 10 Jun 2014 10:21:06 1,275 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I got the full package in February for less than half price - 31 + 20 broadband.

In a recent survey 6 out of 7 dwarfs said they weren't happy.

• binky Moderator 10 Jun 2014 10:22:40 9,456 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    For how long?

6 months deal + 12 months contract extension?
  • convz 10 Jun 2014 11:37:45 354 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm currently paying 17.50 for the full package (movies, sports, HD etc) but I had to go two months without Sky before they offered me that
  • ILoveThrashMetal 10 Jun 2014 12:08:36 667 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @binky went from sky to bt on Friday.
    First impressions have been excellent. No trouble switching what so ever. Sky fibre was switched off at midnight, plugged the homehub in, woke up to new broadband without a hitch.
    Tv seems ok apart from a few minor issues, had to get an aerial cable and there seems to be quite a delay in selecting something on the remote to it registering on the TV making it a bit fiddly.
    If sky rewarded their existing customers I might not have changed, but they didn't so fuck em.

Arsechickens

• binky Moderator 10 Jun 2014 12:14:36 9,456 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I called and they offered me a 21 discount for 3 months (which meant signing up for another 12 months). No dice.

I think I have to wait until next week to be sure of not getting any cancelation penalties, but it looks like I'm going to leave them. They'd need to offer it all half price for 12 months for me to stay. I can't justify 600 a year to watch football any more.
  • kalel 10 Jun 2014 12:17:48 86,417 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My problem with the other providers is they just don't have any unique content that I want. Sky go out of their way to get things like Game of Thrones, Mad Men, True Detective, 24 etc etc. The best programmes are pretty much without exception on Sky.
    Plus they have the best of the football for now at least.

The real contenders are subscription services like Netflix, who are also now doing seriously good quality programming of their own. But the likes of BT and Virgin just offer similar versions to Sky without the good stuff, which doesn't interest me. I'd rather pay a bit more and get the TV I actually want to watch.
  • binky Moderator 10 Jun 2014 12:24:16 9,456 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Since having kids I find I have less time to watch TV anyway. I'll absolutely miss Super Sundays, but for the rest - as much as I like certain shows, I can definitely live without them. If it was for the sake of 20 I'd keep sky, but it's over twice the cost of BT, who also have a slice of the footy action.
  • TheSaint 10 Jun 2014 12:24:51 14,201 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Obviously the sport is a major factor with few affordable alternatives but most of their decent shows can be streamed for 4.99 a month.

http://www.nowtv.com/entertainment
  • kalel 10 Jun 2014 12:29:17 86,417 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I watch a lot more TV now that I had a kid. We used to go out in the evenings but now we stay in most nights and watch whatever's been Sky +ed.
  • ILoveThrashMetal 10 Jun 2014 12:30:27 667 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @kalel obviously you're a bit of a tv buff, I got to the point where I couldn't justify the expense.
    I got frustrated with football so cancelled sports, I must watch about 2 films a year, the only tv watched was by the misses who liked criminal minds, hannibal and game of thrones.
    What also pissed me off was when they lost the champions league, no money off for us.
    What I will miss is the f1 and sky sports news.

Arsechickens

• kalel 10 Jun 2014 12:34:54 86,417 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's not so much that I'm a TV buff, but I can't really be arsed with a halfway house. None of them are cheap, so if I'm going to fork out I'd rather pay a little more to get the one with stuff worth watching. If I decided to cancel (which I regularly do) I'd probably just have Netflix as my alternative and give up on 'proper TV' altogether.
  • binky Moderator 10 Jun 2014 12:42:57 9,456 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's the thing though - at 30 a month for the Infinity 2 package, It feels a little like I'm paying for 78mb broadband with some TV stuff and BT Sports thrown in. Comparatively speaking, that IS cheap.

Anyway, horses for courses and all that. There's absolutely no denying that Sky is the premium in terms of broadcasting and, I'm assuming, hardware. I've been with them for over 10 years, which is what makes the decision a tough one!
  • Dougs 10 Jun 2014 13:10:03 66,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Obviously the sport is a major factor with few affordable alternatives but most of their decent shows can be streamed for 4.99 a month.

This is definitely what I am thinking of doing when my (half price on all TV)deal runs out in September. I can stream sports elsewhere and will still have BT Sport.
  • kalel 10 Jun 2014 13:15:35 86,417 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Sky Now thing is relatively appealing yeah. Slightly odd thing for them to do tbh. You'd thought that would lose them more business than its worth.
  • convz 10 Jun 2014 13:19:43 354 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:

Interesting... how does this compare to Netflix? I mean, does it have adverts for example? I guess it's 720p etc?
  • Dougs 10 Jun 2014 13:20:24 66,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The crux is whether all good content is available. There is a page on the Sky website which outlines which shows aren't available to stream.

I can only guess that movies and sports are still the main drivers for subscribers. If I did ditch them, then I would need to get a PVR, live pause is just too good with my kids.
  • nickthegun 10 Jun 2014 13:20:26 58,885 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think its pretty canny, to be honest. They saw which way the wind was blowing and figured that if people were going to cord cut, they may as well get them to cut it with them.

Its actually surprisingly agile of a business like that to pre-emptively offer an alternative, rather than fuckheadedly stick their head in the sand and try to make satellite more compelling.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Dougs 10 Jun 2014 13:29:28 66,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If they do the same with sports...24hr pass is a bit rubbish. But a tenner a month or whatever...
  • convz 10 Jun 2014 13:48:24 354 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    If they do the same with sports...24hr pass is a bit rubbish. But a tenner a month or whatever...
    I would gladly pay that, but then I guess you have the same price for BT etc... also afaik Sky's sports streaming isn't even 720p?
  • Dougs 10 Jun 2014 13:50:28 66,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nah, it's fine for tablets, but even on my 23" PC screen it's pretty shabby. Very easy and convenient to use though, which is why I like Sky Go.
  • mcmonkeyplc 10 Jun 2014 13:53:32 39,387 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah they need to do that with sports as well. I wouldn't be surprised if they made the whole thing available on a modular basis like their entertainment on now tv.

Thinking about it sports is the only component missing. The 9.99 day pass is obscene but they know people will pay that for the odd game.

Can you get BT Sport on a streaming only package for a monthly fee? If you can then it's probably only a matter of time before sky does the same thing. Probably when BT get the champions league.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• TheSaint 10 Jun 2014 14:39:15 14,201 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well you can get the Sky Sports mobile TV for 9.99 a month but I have no idea about the quality or if it works with Chromecast (I'd doubt it).
  • Dougs 10 Jun 2014 15:28:18 66,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Actually, that's a point. The old Mobile TV app still works on my iPad. For free. But yeah, no Chromecast/HMDI out support.
  • brewer 10 Jun 2014 17:14:30 1,275 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @binky 12 month deal - 12 month contract

Wasn't that bothered about sports as that can be watched on 'other sources' but it does save the hassle of hitching the PC to the TV.

In a recent survey 6 out of 7 dwarfs said they weren't happy.

• Dougs 12 Jun 2014 12:08:20 66,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Word of warning for those that use Sky Go Tablet on Android - it doesn't work with the latest 4.4.3 OS that Google are pushing out. Sky are "fixing" it apparently.
  • Page

of 41 First / Last