Sky HD - Worth It? Alternatives? Page 38

• Page

of 39 First / Last

• binky Moderator 4 Oct 2012 10:43:09 9,236 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yup, 149 for the 2tb box if you don't want multiroom (which I don't).
    I sort of refuse to pay it as I'm annoyed that my current box doesn't work and Sky sort of have you over a barrel in this regards.

If the equipment you get from Sky doesn't work, you then can't watch the stuff you pay for from Sky. You then have to pay for a replacement to watch the content you're paying for.

Grr...

Hoping the new box being sent is a bit more stable. Mine crashes weekly.
  • Deleted user 4 October 2012 10:55:06
    It's quoting me 199 just for a replacement normal Sky+HD box.
  • billythekid 2 Jun 2013 13:32:13 10,800 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just discovered my Sky box has updated to enable Dolby Digital output over HDMI, so now there's no need for the optical cable to the amp.
    Quite handy as I was struggling to see how I'd get DD from the Sky box using the xbox one's hdmi pass through.
  • Maturin 2 Jun 2013 13:43:11 2,729 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Our box stopped working and Sky quoted us full price for a new box. I said fine, I'll end my subscription and go elsewhere.

They phoned back sharpish and offered the box and an engineer visit for around 50 (can't remember exact figure).
  • SuperCoolEskimo 2 Jun 2013 13:54:57 9,527 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Maturin Tell them you need to cancel some packages in your subscription to afford it. ;)
  • Maturin 2 Jun 2013 14:02:48 2,729 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    @Maturin Tell them you need to cancel some packages in your subscription to afford it. ;)
    This was a year or so ago. I didn't make it very clear.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 2 Jun 2013 14:13:26 9,527 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh apologies. Sky are generally quite easy to haggle with though.
  • andijames 3 Jun 2013 16:26:20 2,618 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    Just discovered my Sky box has updated to enable Dolby Digital output over HDMI, so now there's no need for the optical cable to the amp.
    Quite handy as I was struggling to see how I'd get DD from the Sky box using the xbox one's hdmi pass through.
    Thanks for this tidbit! That's one more wire i can whip out from the back of my TV wire collection. Been using ARC for ages via the TV wondered why it took Sky so long to utilise it.

vivir el momento

• Baihu1983 3 Jun 2013 16:28:43 2,835 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Sky Atlantic is making me keep Sky more than anything but if it was available on Virgin I might jump.

Just wish we could get rid of all the crappy filler channels no one watches.
  • andijames 3 Jun 2013 16:32:46 2,618 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've been tempted by Virgin a few times but every time i've compared my Sky package with a comparison on Virgin it's always been more expensive with Virgin.

An option to get rid of the duff channels would be good but i think Sky have honed these packages over the years to make sure you get some kind of crap with whichever subscription you choose. AKA divide all the popular ones out so you tend to choose most of them!

vivir el momento

• kalel 3 Jun 2013 16:38:40 83,852 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Virgin seems to be the same price, but you end up with better tech, but worse channels.
  • billythekid 3 Jun 2013 16:44:58 10,800 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    andijames wrote:
    billythekid wrote:
    Thanks for this tidbit! That's one more wire i can whip out from the back of my TV wire collection. Been using ARC for ages via the TV wondered why it took Sky so long to utilise it.
    Although I'm not using the optical lead now there's no way I'm burrowing behind the amp to remove one cable from the spaghetti that's behind there, it can stay.
  • AceGrace 3 Jun 2013 16:45:12 899 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Virgin is better value than Sky if you get everything i.e. TV, broadband and phone,at least in my case.
  • Maturin 3 Jun 2013 16:56:40 2,729 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    andijames wrote:
    billythekid wrote:
    Although I'm not using the optical lead now there's no way I'm burrowing behind the amp to remove one cable from the spaghetti that's behind there, it can stay.
    I didn't realise this has happened.

Next they need to ditch the stupid phone line nonsense. We don't have a landline connection in the lounge so we can't watch box office movies.
  • crashVoodoo 3 Jun 2013 22:45:03 3,821 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    billythekid wrote:
    andijames wrote:
    billythekid wrote:
    I didn't realise this has happened.

Next they need to ditch the stupid phone line nonsense. We don't have a landline connection in the lounge so we can't watch box office movies.
    Especially if its connected via the router anyways, why not just use that...

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Deleted user 3 June 2013 22:49:02
    Sky are giving away the wireless dongle now .... No need to hardware to a phone line anymore.

I know, because they just offered me one for free.

Think it's been mentioned on HUKD too.
  • Deleted user 3 June 2013 22:51:18
    Here :

http://m.hotukdeals.com/deals/free-wireless-connector-existing-customers-already-have-sky-movies-1568800

Btw, I don't have any Movie packages, but I was upgrading to HD st the time.
  • Maturin 3 Jun 2013 23:27:26 2,729 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    crashVoodoo wrote:
    Especially if its connected via the router anyways, why not just use that...
    It is. We've got it connected to the router via a homeplug, but to watch anything on Box Office we'd have to run a cable from my wife's study all the way to the TV in the lounge.

I made this point in a recent survey Sky sent to me. It was one that oozed "we're scared shitless by BT" so I made every answer very positive about BT's offering of sports, that I'd signed up already (I have, got it free), and that I'd consider ditching Sky for them.

Hopefully some proper competition will bring Sky prices down and make them more competitive. Right now the prices take the piss. 10 for HD is ridiculous when HD is so common now.
  • DuaneW 4 Jun 2013 00:06:13 91 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    This is so annoying! I spoke to someone a week ago and they assured me that it was only for new sky movies customers! I ended up buying one from eBay just so I didn't give my money to sky after telling them to amend their advert as it was misleading (at the time)

Does anyone have the full works from BT? how is it? very tempted to ditch sky and go with them.

Edited by DuaneW at 00:06:55 04-06-2013
  • Dougs 11 Dec 2013 09:30:57 64,887 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone had better offers than 50% off everything (TV, Sport, fibre broadband) for a year? They are on the brink of luring me back, only costing me a tenner more than I pay now (5 if I knock out Sky Talk..). I'll pass on HD though, even though that's 50% off too though
  • billythekid 11 Dec 2013 09:32:54 10,800 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I couldn't go without the HD now, I've just got too used to it.

SD football? No thanks :)

Edited by billythekid at 09:33:51 11-12-2013
  • wobbler147 11 Dec 2013 09:33:36 5,123 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Snap their hands off Dougs, that's what I got earlier in the year including waiving the 50 set up for fibre.
  • Dougs 11 Dec 2013 09:36:57 64,887 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A few years back, I would have been the same re HD sport, but given the demands on the telly, most of the football I watch is on the iPad/PC, so not sure it'll be worth it for the few series we watch on Atlantic. Already have fibre, so it's just reducing my bill by a tenner!

It's Sky+ we've missed the most since we binned it 3/4 long months ago!

Edited by Dougs at 09:37:24 11-12-2013
  • mcmonkeyplc 11 Dec 2013 09:53:19 38,862 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    I couldn't go without the HD now, I've just got too used to it.

SD football? No thanks :)
    I cancelled BT sport when it first launched because I couldn't get in HD for some screwed up reason. The guy was miffed that I wanted to cancel just cause I couldn't get it in HD.

SD football is unwatchable :)

Come and get it cumslingers!

• wizardofoz85 11 Dec 2013 16:59:57 299 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Dougs I've just changed to Virgin cos they offered me a much better price than Sky plus their fastest broadband for less than I'm paying Sky for the first 6 months then the same after that.

The only thing I think I'm really losing is Sky Atlantic but Virgin will give me 6 months Netflix and BT sports, which should be useful for Champions League net year.

To be fair I'd have had no problems staying with Sky if they had offered me a decent discount and upped my broadband to fibre but seeing as I've been with them for years paying them a ridiculous amount for pretty much their top package and they didn't want to give me anything I would have switched out of principle even if Virgin didn't seem that good.
  • JiveHound 11 Dec 2013 17:06:54 2,139 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Anyone had better offers than 50% off everything (TV, Sport, fibre broadband) for a year? They are on the brink of luring me back, only costing me a tenner more than I pay now (5 if I knock out Sky Talk..). I'll pass on HD though, even though that's 50% off too though
    That's the deal I went for. Install tomorrow along with new tv if my rebate cheque clears. Two Saints games on within a week of each other too. Peachy.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• JiveHound 11 Dec 2013 17:09:27 2,139 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @wizardofoz85

Watch out for traffic management mate. If you're doing some hefty downloading keep it out of the 4pm to 11pm peak time or your speed will be throttled. I was caught out a couple of weeks ago.

• TheSaint 11 Dec 2013 17:10:13 13,629 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Which two are those? Spurs and Chelsea?
  • wizardofoz85 11 Dec 2013 17:14:22 299 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @JiveHound That was my only real concern but unless online gaming takes up some of that I should be fine to queue any downloads before/after that time.
  • JiveHound 11 Dec 2013 17:36:24 2,139 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @wizardofoz85

For those that are prepared it shouldn't be an issue. Don't do what I did launch day and download 100 gigs worth of games at peak time.

• Page

of 39 First / Last