Sky HD - Worth It? Alternatives? Page 37

• Page

of 39 First / Last

• elstoof 12 Apr 2012 13:25:12 6,140 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I did wonder how long it was going to last, it was a steal for what it was. My colleague was banging on about his tv adaptor and popping the phone in the dock, claimed the picture was perfect. He's also the stingiest bloke on earth so I'm sure on his 14" Sunto CRT it did look perfect.
  • binky Moderator 13 Apr 2012 14:55:34 9,236 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Update:

Been on the phone to Sky. Mentioned I was thinking of going Freeview but also enquired what sort of deal could they do if I moved my phone line to Sky from BT.

Long story less long, they offered me 9 months free line rental plus reduced broadband cost to 2, and knocked 25% off my TV for a year.

So it's essentially just about halved the bill from 80 Sky/BT to 45 just Sky.

That keeps HD and Sports, and doesn't tie me into a contract with the telly, so if 45 is still too much expense I can ditch it at any point and still keep the phone+broadband deal.

That'll do pig. That'll do.
  • elstoof 13 Apr 2012 15:09:36 6,140 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good work, that's less than I pay just for normal channels on HD+, broadband and line rental.
  • Dougs 13 Apr 2012 15:28:52 64,910 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good going! Think mine is 80 with Sky having the lot but that's with ESPN which I'll bin for the summer. Makes me want to ring up, but reckon they'd sense I'm just trying it on!
  • binky Moderator 13 Apr 2012 15:31:55 9,236 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They seem to listen to the "can't afford it" thing by the looks of it.
    Worth a go, and if they call your bluff just say "well I better check with the boss" and hang up :)
  • Deleted user 27 April 2012 17:07:08
    So i finally decided to dump my Sky+ HD this week. Ordered one of these off a guy on Ebay for 200.

Slotted into my current setup in place of the Sky box with zero hassle and was set up in 5 minutes. Works a charm and all i need now is something to pick up our native Irish channels after the digital-switchover.
  • ManicDrunkMonk 27 Apr 2012 17:23:13 489 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    So i finally decided to dump my Sky+ HD this week. Ordered one of these off a guy on Ebay for 200.

Slotted into my current setup in place of the Sky box with zero hassle and was set up in 5 minutes. Works a charm and all i need now is something to pick up our native Irish channels after the digital-switchover.
    I did much the same, those humax boxes are excellent. Sky never really felt like good value throughout the year I had it and I was happy to replace an ugly box with a slick black one.

On Sky though I did get 6 months half pricd by just saying I couldn't afford it. Seemed to work quite easily, although they refused to halve the HD cost.
  • Deleted user 27 April 2012 17:42:41
    They offered me the same today plus free movies and sports for 3 months if i signed up for at least another year.

I just told them that i barely watch TV anyway so it would be worthless to me. It was actually fairly painless to cancel which was a pleasant surprise.

The Humax box is lovely, the UI is nice and slick and usable. It's also near completely silent unlike the Sky box i had that had a latop-style fan noise all the time.

Edited by spudsbuckley at 17:43:05 27-04-2012
  • KD 27 Apr 2012 20:04:23 616 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I ditched my sky a couple year ago because I found out about using my parents account through sky player on my laptop, also bought a tv that had freeview HD, the xbox app was a bonus but I do miss the 5.1 audio from the sky box. Its not something I'd do without the freeview or similar set up.
  • Pirotic Moderator 28 May 2012 11:31:16 20,646 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    /Pirotic casts NecroBump

Sorry, bit of a cheeky post this - looking to switch from Virgin Media to Sky again and a little bird tells me that Sky staffers get some sort of magical code they can give people which gets them 50% off for the first year or something like that. Does anybody know if that's true and how I could go about getting one? Cheers!
  • sport 28 May 2012 11:35:22 12,046 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    /Pirotic casts NecroBump

Sorry, bit of a cheeky post this - looking to switch from Virgin Media to Sky again and a little bird tells me that Sky staffers get some sort of magical code they can give people which gets them 50% off for the first year or something like that. Does anybody know if that's true and how I could go about getting one? Cheers!
    I get you code. You know Western Union office in neighbourhood?

God bless.
    Prince Sport
  • Pirotic Moderator 28 May 2012 11:37:41 20,646 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hmm, I want a picture of you with a shoe on your head before I agree to anything!
  • mcmonkeyplc 28 May 2012 11:40:59 38,899 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Why am I paying 50 for Sky Entertainment + Sky sports HD?

Shouldn't it be 45? 35 for Entertainment + Sky sports and 10 extra for HD?

Mother fucks.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• mcmonkeyplc 28 May 2012 11:49:35 38,899 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    To answer my own question, no it's now 50 a month.

Bumders.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Dougs 4 Jul 2012 13:26:36 64,910 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone got the new EPG? Is it quicker? That's my main gripe...

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a385765/sky-rolls-out-new-sky-hd-electronic-programme-guide.html

Edited by Dougs at 13:26:53 04-07-2012
  • Kay 4 Jul 2012 13:32:29 17,403 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've had it since early June, no issues with it so far. Does seem quicker than the old one, and better looking too.
  • THFourteen 4 Jul 2012 13:35:20 31,809 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18699924

here you go, there's an alternative
  • mrpon 4 Jul 2012 13:37:34 27,645 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You lost me at Lord Sugar.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 4 July 2012 13:40:51
    THFourteen wrote:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-18699924

here you go, there's an alternative
    I'll be all over that as soon as it has HD football, it's the only reason I have Sky :(
  • Dougs 4 Jul 2012 13:48:14 64,910 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Premium content like that is always going to come at a price through a sub model though.
  • Deleted user 4 July 2012 13:53:36
    I can dream can't I? Would be nice if I could watch it in a pub but Sky have priced most of those out too :(
  • sport 4 Jul 2012 14:04:23 12,046 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Will I be able to connect my Amstrad E-m@iler to it?
  • Zerobob 4 Jul 2012 14:38:13 1,602 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't see how YouView differs from Sky or Virgin Media. You still need a seperate box, so it doesn't directly come from your Internet connection to your Smart TV or PC. It simply provides video off the back of an unreliable Internet connection, instead of a dedicated cable or satellite, making it a slower and more unreliable service on paper.

However, I think right now a fast broadband connection is the best alternative to any TV package which required dedicated box, especially Sky HD.

There's never anything on worth watching on Sky, HD or not, and it's too expensive if you want anything but basic freeview content, so the best way to take yourself into the HD era is to download HD MP4s, HD AVIs or blu-ray files, legally or not.

If Sky want to price people out of the natural progression of television and class HD content as a luxary item, all the while providing nothing worth watching, or upscaled "HD" content, they can be my guest...I'm off to the Internets.

I'm tooled up with HD everything (TV, blu-ray player, Xbox, powerful PC with HDMI out, HD Virgin Media box) and I still feel like I'm just sitting around frustrated, waiting for the HD era to happen. The bulk of TV I watch on a daily basis is SD. Such a shame.

Edited by Zerobob at 14:39:58 04-07-2012
  • markh 1 Oct 2012 13:20:29 3,598 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I guess this is a good as place as any to put this question/rant?

I'm moving house soon and wanted to order Sky for phone/broadband/TV. Went through the online process and just had a message to call them back. I did and they are now saying I need the new property's phone number, to which I responded I've no idea as we're not there yet and someone else is living there still. The guy just kept on and on about how I needed the phone number? Does anyone know if there's any way to get round this as I wanted to get the internet sorted on the day I moved in rather than having to wait until I'm actually in there to see what I can do.
  • Dougs 1 Oct 2012 13:33:08 64,910 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You could ask the agents if the current tenants/owners mind letting you have the number? Easiest way imo....
  • markh 1 Oct 2012 13:34:18 3,598 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yep, that was going to be my next port of call. It just seems ridiculous that you need the phone number and not just the address..
  • binky Moderator 3 Oct 2012 16:39:55 9,236 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My Sky HD box has been playing up lately. Crashing, failing to record, acting slow.
    Just logged on to the Sky website to have a bit of a moan and under LATEST OFFERS I was being offered a new Sky + HD box for free!

Yoink.
  • glaeken 3 Oct 2012 17:29:14 10,977 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I find with my Sky HD box it helps to reboot it every now and again. It tends to crash maybe a couple of times a month and it's fine after a reboot so I just think the boxes in general are a little flaky.

Has anyone gone for the Sky+HD 2TB upgrade? That seems fairly reasonable at 49. I am just wondering if they transfer your existing recorded stuff to the new box? I actually might go for that upgrade as I do find the standard HD box storage a little low if you are recording a lot of HD stuff.

Edited by glaeken at 17:36:47 03-10-2012
  • TheSaint 3 Oct 2012 17:55:44 13,629 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was just looking at that. Don't you have to take multi-room to get it for 49?
  • glaeken 4 Oct 2012 10:04:48 10,977 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It looks like you might. I figure I would give them a call though as their deals are often fairly inconsistent and often you can get more out of them. It seems to depend on who you get through to a lot of the time.
  • Page

of 39 First / Last