Top Gear returns Page 138

• Page

of 154 First / Last

• AceGrace 4 Feb 2014 09:38:42 1,278 posts
    Seen 33 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think they should ditch the 'Star in a reasonably priced car' part.

I always fast forward it. I don't care who is on plugging whatever.

www.performathon.co.uk

The easy way to find local, live musicians and entertainment.

• Deleted user 4 February 2014 10:38:35
    I was going to say I don't entirely mind the forced humour but the more I think about it, the way they pretend / act like they're surprised at situations is excruciatingly painful to watch.
    For example:

- When they went camping, James and Richard pushed Jeremy's car off the cliff side and just by coincidence, they happened to be filming Jez eating an ice cream with the camera showing the falling car in the background.

-Richard setting his car/ campsite on fire to the sounds of "oh no, everything's on fire, how did this happpen" etc etc.

-Oh no, Richards car is in a ditch. How of earth did you get down there?

The Police car chases were dire. I only started driving in 2003 but I've got a soft spot for 80's sports cars and hatch backs. But they totally missed the point of exploiting what was great about them 3 cars and instead pencilled in 20 minutes of shite. I thought the point of it was to prove why the older models were better? Also didn't help that the bloke in the Astra didn't seem remotely interested in cars. Nice guy but utterly dull.

The best moments are the natural, unforced dynamic of the 3 of them and some of the gags / tricks on each other that at least don't appear to be scripted.

Still, I'm happy it's back and look forward to seeing some cars next Sunday.
  • Soton4084 4 Feb 2014 13:07:05 73 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    AceGrace wrote:
    I think they should ditch the 'Star in a reasonably priced car' part.

I always fast forward it. I don't care who is on plugging whatever.

Yeah, it does annoy me how they are always plugging something (usually a movie). I feel a bit uneasy about it, because it's like they're just using/exploiting the programme. Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz obviously only went on the show to advertise Knight & Day (which coincidently was a pile of complete garbage).

I'd rather have people on who are genuinely interested in being on the show (not just to plug their latest movie), even if they aren't as 'big' a name.

Or better yet, as you say, they should scrap it.
  • Soton4084 4 Feb 2014 13:26:41 73 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    feeg86 wrote:
    I was going to say I don't entirely mind the forced humour but the more I think about it, the way they pretend / act like they're surprised at situations is excruciatingly painful to watch.
    For example:

- When they went camping, James and Richard pushed Jeremy's car off the cliff side and just by coincidence, they happened to be filming Jez eating an ice cream with the camera showing the falling car in the background.

-Richard setting his car/ campsite on fire to the sounds of "oh no, everything's on fire, how did this happpen" etc etc.

-Oh no, Richards car is in a ditch. How of earth did you get down there?

The Police car chases were dire. I only started driving in 2003 but I've got a soft spot for 80's sports cars and hatch backs. But they totally missed the point of exploiting what was great about them 3 cars and instead pencilled in 20 minutes of shite. I thought the point of it was to prove why the older models were better? Also didn't help that the bloke in the Astra didn't seem remotely interested in cars. Nice guy but utterly dull.

The best moments are the natural, unforced dynamic of the 3 of them and some of the gags / tricks on each other that at least don't appear to be scripted.

Still, I'm happy it's back and look forward to seeing some cars next Sunday.
    You've pretty much hit the nail on the head there.

I'd actually forgotten about the camping episode. I remember being so disappointed when they woke up one morning at the campsite and Jeremy's campervan/car had 'blown over'. Why was I disappointed? Because then I knew which way the episode was heading.

Instead of which they could have set challenges where they slept in each others camper vans complaining about them (can you imagine Jeremy in May's? That would be naturally hilarious). Or they could have been asked to cook a meal between them for a large group of people using only their camp stoves/etc. It's those kind of ideas which lead to unscripted, but humourous telly.
  • VideoGameAddict25 4 Feb 2014 20:10:10 360 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I had no idea who Hugh Bonneville was. That would probably be because I don't watch Downton Abbey.

I did enjoy the supermarket part though. Couldn't stop laughing there!
  • Spong 9 Feb 2014 19:05:24 525 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I hope tonight's show is better. I re-watched last week's show again yesterday, finishing with James May sat in a smoking crater makes for quite the ironic metaphor.
  • Errol 9 Feb 2014 19:17:56 12,553 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Spong wrote:
    I hope tonight's show is better. .
    They would struggle to get worse than the utter sh*t of last week.
  • Spong 9 Feb 2014 19:34:20 525 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    True. Even by my standards, as someone who generally loves all the BS challenges and pieces they put together, last week was pretty miserable.

I'm curious to see the Chernobyl thing they've got lined up.
  • Soton4084 9 Feb 2014 19:49:22 73 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tom Hiddleston is the star in a reasonably priced car this week. I literally cannot wait to hear about what he's plugging...
  • Dombat 9 Feb 2014 19:56:42 357 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    arials101 wrote:
    "Star in a reasonably priced car" is here to stay because it's the part of the program that they cut out and replace with adverts for international broadcast. That and Clarkson obviously enjoys chumming it up with famous people. I usually leave the room for 10 minutes when it starts.
    I never thought of that. It makes sense I suppose, although I find that segment really boring.

Hopefully tonight will be an improvement... I've always found Top Gear to have dud episodes so it shouldn't all be as bad as last week.
  • Psychotext 9 Feb 2014 20:33:21 55,032 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love watching SIARPC on iPlayer.

Click, gone.
  • X201 9 Feb 2014 20:42:35 15,732 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dombat wrote:
    arials101 wrote:
    "Star in a reasonably priced car" is here to stay because it's the part of the program that they cut out and replace with adverts for international broadcast. That and Clarkson obviously enjoys chumming it up with famous people. I usually leave the room for 10 minutes when it starts.
    I never thought of that. It makes sense I suppose, although I find that segment really boring.

I always put it down to Clarkson being a frustrated chat show host.
  • VideoGameAddict25 9 Feb 2014 21:04:00 360 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Clarkson: "My guest tonight is Tom Hiddleston."

Me: "Who?"

Also, what was with all the blatant Jaguar advertising?!

Edited by VideoGameAddict25 at 21:08:07 09-02-2014
  • X201 9 Feb 2014 21:27:48 15,732 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    VideoGameAddict25 wrote:

Jingoism?
  • MMMarmite 9 Feb 2014 21:56:41 1,108 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    VideoGameAddict25 wrote:
    Clarkson: "My guest tonight is Tom Hiddleston."

Me: "Who?"

Blatant? One mention of a Jag in the news, could have been any manufacturer really. The commercial was really only the star plugging like all the others plugging their latest Film/Album/Thing/etc...

On the whole I thought it was a much better episode than usual.
  • elstoof 9 Feb 2014 22:11:39 8,303 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I enjoyed it. The race was better than usual with that quad bike and not too much cunting about. Even the admission they had to reshoot it all was a bit fresh in its honesty. Alfa is good. P1 good. Military vehicles actually fairly interesting. Siarpc, no better or worse than it ever is.
  • Deleted user 9 February 2014 22:14:14
    Thought this one was good. The vehicles they looked at were all different and interesting and the humour was okay in this one.

The dried weetabix line was pretty good :D

Edited by IRT at 23:20:23 09-02-2014
  • VideoGameAddict25 9 Feb 2014 22:33:20 360 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Now all I need is 866,000 :-P
  • Whizzo 9 Feb 2014 22:44:44 43,344 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have absolutely no problems with tonight's episode, Tom Hiddlestone was as entertaining as he always is when being interviewed as well.

I've seen the P1 test cars driving around a lot (I work very close to McLaren's HQ) and have always gawped at them, even with their horrible, anti-photo paint scheme.

Edited by Whizzo at 22:45:50 09-02-2014

This space left intentionally blank.

• HarryB 9 Feb 2014 22:48:06 6,336 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That P1 piece was awesome. They do like their cinematography when they aren't acting like fannies!
  • boo 9 Feb 2014 22:55:39 11,929 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Great episode.
    Got to say though, I can appreciate the technical marvellousness that went into both the MacLaren MP12-4C and the P1, but they both just leave me cold. Not sure what it is, but they don't stir the blood like some other cars.

Be interesting to see how the P1 does against the Porsche 918 in a few weeks - there's a three-way hybrid battle between the P1, The LaFerrari and the 918, and when MacLaren took the P1 to the Nordschleife, they refused to publish the lap time, saying 'it was irrelevant.'

More like it wasn't as quick as they'd hoped it would be, but given the way it was tearing round Spa, it didn't look too sluggish.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Spong 9 Feb 2014 23:10:52 525 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thank Christ for that, tonight was a return to form. Nifty little challenge, interesting bit from May about the military vehicles, and a fantastic test of that P1 thing. Loved the way Clarkson initially pegged the P1's engine as a recharge generator.
  • Psychotext 10 Feb 2014 01:19:19 55,032 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fair play, it was a lot better.
  • Load_2.0 10 Feb 2014 08:20:42 19,655 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I prefer the jag over both the Alpha and the Mclaren.
  • ModishNouns 10 Feb 2014 09:26:49 4,664 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I never had much time for the yawny MP12 but the P1 is proper lunatic hyper car sex.
  • boo 10 Feb 2014 10:04:37 11,929 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is that a technical term?

Just Another Lego Blog

• Psychotext 10 Feb 2014 10:59:15 55,032 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I know someone who has one of those on order. I'm going to have to give him some stick about the lack of cup holders. ;)
  • Deleted user 10 February 2014 12:53:28
    Decent episode. Slightly cringy acting on the challenge (Jez radioing an oblivions Richard that he was right beside him, Richard thinking he'd won the challenge) but enjoyed it on the whole. That P1 is insane, even without carpet.
  • Phil-McCrack 10 Feb 2014 20:11:00 3,347 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    That aquatic quad bike is awesome.

Danny MacAskill gives me a boner
    Formerly OptimusPube

• Page

of 154 First / Last