Top Gear returns Page 137

• Page

of 154 First / Last

• IJ 2 Feb 2014 21:13:33 841 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That was such a poor episode. The last couple of seasons have picked up for me and I've enjoyed them, after it nose dived for a season a two 4-5 season ago. But the cop stuff was just terrible and back to the lows. I hope they get back t o form with the rest of the series!
  • ElNuevo9 2 Feb 2014 21:14:16 13,479 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, that was pretty shite.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• DFawkes 2 Feb 2014 21:26:39 23,315 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really enjoyed it. Still easily my favourite car based sketch show by miles. That said, the sections were a tad too long, so it could've all been tightened up without the stuff I enjoyed suffering.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• MrWonderstuff 2 Feb 2014 21:27:11 1,939 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Normally I'm quite forgiving of Top Gear but tonights episode was pretty dire (boring I dare say). All the potential interesting stuff was clearly staged in the name of 'entertainment'. Normally one item staged is fine but it all was.
  • Errol 2 Feb 2014 21:31:04 12,497 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Utter rubbish. An hour of complete crap.

And to think they could have done a serious look at hot-hatches of the 1980s. Instead they just pissed around with completely NOT enteraining nonsense.

0/10.
  • elstoof 2 Feb 2014 21:33:40 7,734 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    First half hour was ok. The joke got a little thin by the time they wrapped the cars. That was more than enough.
  • DFawkes 2 Feb 2014 22:10:50 23,315 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have to admit, I do prefer when they try to keep it vaguely realistic, like the X-Factor does. So I enjoyed James and Jezza driving around the Supermarket. But Hammond's was a step too far, even if I did laugh at his vertical finish.

It also makes me think the pacing will probably be a bit of for the whole series, as they could've easily have made it 15 minutes shorter and kept the bits I enjoyed, then fit in another car test or something. I do hope the rest don't feel overly stretched out.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• kentmonkey 2 Feb 2014 22:19:30 20,760 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That was like watching three mid-life crises playing out on TV for the public to witness.
  • Iain815 2 Feb 2014 23:15:48 414 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wank.

The challenge should have ended before the guest star. They could have at least shoehorned in mini-reviews of the modern day versions while they were at it.
  • Deleted user 2 February 2014 23:20:51
    The basis of the episode was good, but it just went too far towards the entertainment/comedy side at the end.
  • ResidentKnievel 2 Feb 2014 23:22:30 6,238 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    A bad episode.

Hopefully this series continues the recent trend of most the episodes being decent or better, I'd hate to see Top Gear's quality to drop to what it was a few years ago.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• FromTheHalfWayLine 3 Feb 2014 20:06:35 68 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    That was blatently the "what to do with the leftover series budget" episode.
  • BillMurray 3 Feb 2014 20:18:49 7,788 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Switched off after 15 minutes. Dull.
  • ecu 3 Feb 2014 20:36:34 77,017 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wow, that was just terrible. Top Gear shouldn't feel like a sitcom, most of the stuff wasn't even about the cars. They could at least have had some legitimate competition between the vehicles without resorting to expensive stunts.
  • Whizzo 3 Feb 2014 20:40:08 43,187 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If they want it to just be a comedy show these days they should get some actual comedy writers to script it, some of this was so ropey it wouldn't make the cut in something on CBeebies.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Deleted user 3 February 2014 20:41:47
    Yeah I was watching it with my lad and we both called the "he's gonna get to the finish line on his roof" thing in the supermarket (well his side as it turned out but still). He's 10 so it shows how obvious some of the gags are these days. Same with the strimmer-thing vs wall bit.

At least Mr Stink made a guest appearance as SIARPC, so IL Jr was happy enough with that. Shame that interview had to be interupted for the sake of a Downtown(sp??) Abbey gag.
  • Soton4084 3 Feb 2014 20:43:10 73 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Overall I enjoyed the episode, but I've got to agree with everyone else above. I didn't find the hot hatch challenge funny when the faked sections started to creep in.

There's no need for it, Top Gear can be funny without stuff being faked. We all know that Hammond's supermarket run was faked, it was obvious, we all know that Hammond didn't crash the Nova into the ditch and we all know that the cars weren't blown up whilst May and Clarkson were in them, so why pretend?

It reminds me of the South American Special where Hammond 'accidentally' left the handbrake off his car and it rolled down the sand dune. What they should have done is have been honest ('the producers won't let Hammond drive in it down there as it's too dangerous') and then May and Clarkson could have destroyed it instead or something.

I do love Top Gear, but I hope the rest of the series is a return to form.

Edited by Soton4084 at 20:44:27 03-02-2014
  • RedSparrows 3 Feb 2014 20:44:05 23,247 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Errol wrote:

And to think they could have done a serious look at hot-hatches of the 1980s. Instead they just pissed around with completely NOT enteraining nonsense.

0/10.
    Er, isn't that Top Gear's shtick? Fucking dire program.
  • Deleted user 3 February 2014 20:50:24
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Errol wrote:

0/10.
    Er, isn't that Top Gear's shtick? Fucking dire program.
    Not all the time Red, sometimes they can be rather insightful when they want to be with tests such as this. Recently though...yeah....

Trying to explain that all the joyriding stuff was "bad m'kay" to a 10yo who found it funny that Jezza was clambering about on the roof of a moving car was something I really didn't expect from Top Gear. Ho hum.
  • elstoof 3 Feb 2014 21:00:58 7,734 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm surprised there was an interview at all between Clarkson and Bonneville, considering their combined Superinjuction might.
  • Spong 3 Feb 2014 21:33:45 525 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It was good up until Hammond's Supermarket Sweep, that's when the '80s hatch challenge started falling apart. By the end of all that police chase stuff it was pretty galling to watch. I don't mind having staged moments in amongst the genuine stuff, but at least half of that '80s hatch challenge was completely synthetic and purely for the lulz.

On the up-side, they used some cracking music \o/

Edited by Spong at 21:34:11 03-02-2014
  • Soton4084 3 Feb 2014 21:51:00 73 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Spong

Agreed, I don't mind some staged stuff. I think part of the problem is that there's too much off it, it's not subtle and it is too forced.

For instance, the caravan fire many years ago on Top Gear was staged, but it was so well done that I actually thought it was brilliant. It was believable.

They need to think more intelligently about the challenges in order to make them naturally interesting and funny. For instance, the British Leyland car episode when they filled them all up with water and drove them round the TG test track.
  • ecu 3 Feb 2014 22:00:38 77,017 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spong wrote:
    It was good up until Hammond's Supermarket Sweep, that's when the '80s hatch challenge started falling apart.
    I knew where it was going from the second it did the first cutaway of Hammond ditching his Nova.
  • Deleted user 3 February 2014 22:12:46
    The supermarket scene would of been funny if they had just done it like normal and not forced the comedy. Someone was bound to crash into something etc.
  • ecu 3 Feb 2014 22:14:21 77,017 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Forced. Yeah that sums it up.
  • CharlieStCloud 3 Feb 2014 22:20:04 5,280 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Not worth me watching this episode on iPlayer then?
  • Soton4084 3 Feb 2014 23:08:13 73 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud

Probably still worth a watch, but expect a lot of staged stuff and forced humour.

I think that bad or mediocre Top Gear is still better than most other programmes on the telly these days. On a plus note, the preview for the rest of the series looked good and there is a foreign road trip coming up.
  • mal 4 Feb 2014 02:16:34 22,686 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's no worse than it used to be. Watch some of the early eps from before this 'staged' fluff came out and you can watch them mugging to camera all the time. The news has been tightly scripted since the early series.

Granted, it was a bit of a lightweight episode with just the news, star, and challenge filling the hour, but at least the guest was British, so we could get away without Clarkson's simpering and the soundtrack was ace. When the synths from Blue Monday started I... I got very excited. Once you accept the fact that it all stems from Clarkson's pen it's all fairly easy viewing with the odd snigger. It's nice to have it back on TV.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• ecu 4 Feb 2014 07:49:27 77,017 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It was clearly a lot worse than it used to be. We've always known it was scripted and it's not a secret. The problem is the scenes they're putting together, not the fact that they're putting them together in the first place.
  • mcmothercruncher 4 Feb 2014 08:11:34 7,208 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's like an episode of Last Of The Summer Wine with Clarkson's face standing in for the wrinkled stockings.
  • Page

of 154 First / Last