of 150 First / Last

• kalel 4 Feb 2013 16:14:02 87,753 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bring back William Woolard!
  • jellyhead 4 Feb 2013 16:15:19 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just show us Top Gear Australia for a while. The same format but with different people acting like fuckwits for a change.

I really enjoy the episodes on Streetfire.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• ecureuil 4 Feb 2013 16:17:47 76,826 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    The first series of the reboot was all about everyday cars wasn't it, they had that fat James May Mk1 bloke who would give a run down on what used car deals were available and how your Mondeo's depreciation was going.

Bloody awful.
    Yeah I watched a couple of episode of the first series or the reboot with Jason Dawe. It's not awful but there's nothing special about it. It was made in 2002 but it feels more like 1996.
  • glaeken 4 Feb 2013 16:23:43 11,177 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think they just need to dump the current presenters and do similar stuff but actually film what happens not what they script to happen. It's the scripted natured of most of it that destroyed it for me. I donít want to watch challenges that are not real and scripted comedy banter. Neither thing works for me.
  • nickthegun 4 Feb 2013 16:25:51 59,971 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you want to see what would happen if they dump the current presenters, watch the US version or something. It would be very difficult to catch lightning in a bottle twice and im fairly sure that they will kill of this format if/when they quit.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• kalel 4 Feb 2013 16:26:03 87,753 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah I agree, it just needs some new blood.
  • graysonavich 4 Feb 2013 16:28:48 7,355 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Chavs love all that crap though. Which lets be honest, is their target market.
  • BillMurray 4 Feb 2013 16:30:35 7,745 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They really should get Chris Harris on Top Gear. Love his stuff on the Drive channel on YouTube.
  • elstoof 4 Feb 2013 16:33:37 7,392 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Clarkson's recently sold his production company that's behind the show to the BBC, so I won't be too surprised if they just phone in the next couple of series' and then quit. Then the BBC will try to freshen it up with Richard Bacon, Reggie Yates and Fearne Cotton before dumping the lot, and a handily forgetting the millions of licence money spent buying it.
  • ecureuil 4 Feb 2013 16:34:28 76,826 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    Chavs love all that crap though. Which lets be honest, is their target market.
    I think you're underestimating the majority of the audience tbh.

It's starting to feel tired now and we all know it. On its last legs I reckon, I could see them calling it quits in a couple of years. I think they'd sooner pull the plug than radically change the format. Top Gear is franchised around the world so it'll continue to make money.
  • glaeken 4 Feb 2013 16:44:19 11,177 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I work with a bloke who thinks it's hilarious. He is a cretin though. They have terrible taste through not being discerning at all. They just appear to like everything.
  • nickthegun 4 Feb 2013 16:47:15 59,971 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Im sure you are more of a 'The Killing' kind of guy.

• glaeken 4 Feb 2013 17:27:51 11,177 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Not seen it.
  • LeoliansBro 4 Feb 2013 17:31:08 44,278 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Top Gear could probably do with a break rather than a rework tbh. Thing is, you'll never make up the audience figures in the round so it'll plug on as long as the three presenters are happy to milk it.

I still love it.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Bremenacht 4 Feb 2013 17:41:44 18,313 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Reduce it to specials. Push Clarkson out of his comfort zone. It's brilliant when it's somewhat serious.
  • kalel 4 Feb 2013 17:43:53 87,753 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, that's fair. The thing that was so painful with last night's was that it was pure going through the motions. They were just driving slowly in nice cars round a nice place in America, followed by some silliness with planes. No drama.
  • nickthegun 4 Feb 2013 17:44:01 59,971 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    Not seen it.
    Pft.. sheep. I bet youre too busy watching Britains Got Talent.

• Iain815 4 Feb 2013 18:57:54 412 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How you can tell the show has gone to shit: The 20 seconds of the stealth bomber was one of the most interesting things in it. And then Hammond had to continue his 'character' by quipping something the lines of "then the two OAPs wanted to stop and look a a plane! I'M SO YOUNG AND AWESOME. Even though I've made countless documentaries on engineering, a stealth bomber doesn't interest me at all!".

The news segments are awful. When I watched one of the old episodes on Dave it felt so refreshing because all the banter, news and challenges felt natural. Not characterised, rehearsed and scripted to oblivion.

It's never going to change though, too many people watching are simple and think it's still "brilliant, the best thing on telly".

Edited by Iain815 at 19:01:09 04-02-2013
  • beastmaster 4 Feb 2013 19:11:00 11,418 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I love the Irish guy Bob Flavins reviews on YouTube. His channel is called Smokerspack.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• CharlieStCloud 4 Feb 2013 19:15:01 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Iain815 wrote:
    The news segments are awful. When I watched one of the old episodes on Dave it felt so refreshing because all the banter, news and challenges felt natural. Not characterised, rehearsed and scripted to oblivion.
    I think it was on a rainy day before Christmas that they were showing the North Pole special on Dave followed by a couple of episodes from series three (?) and they were so good.

It is great to see them in a precarious situation at the North Pole and reacting accordingly ... it felt real. The old episodes were showing the 'cool wall' as well as as the news, which were all spoken and conversed naturally. They felt like three overly enthusiastic blokes who were simply enjoying themselves.

You don't really get that anymore unfortunately, which is why when something special happens on Top Gear - usually happens with James May more than the other two - you cannot help but appreciate the show.

Last nights episode was merely so-so; a classic case of been there, done that.
  • spindizzy 4 Feb 2013 21:15:58 6,527 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    I work with a bloke who thinks it's hilarious. He is a cretin though. They have terrible taste through not being discerning at all. They just appear to like everything.
    I think it's occasionally hilarious, and I'm reasonably certain I'm not a cretin. :-P Out of interest, what should we be watching instead?

Honestly, I think Top Gear has many flaws. I also think that, when there is a really good episode (and there's at least one each series) that it's the best thing on TV by a country mile.

Edit: I mostly agree with CharlieStCloud above, though I think the studio bits (especially the Cool Wall) have always felt very scripted and awkward. I put up with them for the rest.

Edited by spindizzy at 21:18:29 04-02-2013
  • mal 4 Feb 2013 22:42:21 22,580 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Having caught the odd older episode on Dave, it is often very obvious that if it's not scripted, then it's very definitely set up. But somehow, it's not as annoying in older episodes as it can be now - I suspect that now they know the cat is out of the bag they're hamming it up more, and not even trying to hide it.

That said I did laugh at Clarkson calling up Lexus and explaining that he may have drawn a 'gentleman sausage' on a storm drain and be needing to run away. :D

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• LEEROY_UK 4 Feb 2013 23:00:34 30 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @BillMurray Yup Monkey is the obvious choice , far better driver than the current TG numptys and not so full of bs ,he knows his stuff too , a true petrol head !

Edited by LEEROY_UK at 23:03:37 04-02-2013
  • superdelphinus 4 Feb 2013 23:33:04 8,074 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Everyone's a fecking reviewer these days. I blame amazon
  • X201 5 Feb 2013 06:00:57 15,487 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    Superdelphinius' review is short but punchy. It conveys an anger and irritation with the other poster's critiques of the show. In this compact post he displays a disire that viewers should not over analyse the program and should, as Rene Descart observed, "just watch it... its only a bit of fun innit?"
  • JuanKerr 5 Feb 2013 09:10:14 36,251 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Some of the best bits of the older shows are when it's just Clarkson and May doing a feature - Clarkson's Merc Grosser & May's Rolls-Royce; the search for the first 'modern style' car; the communist car feature. All a perfect balance of dicking around and interesting car stuff.
  • jellyhead 5 Feb 2013 09:30:26 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    superdelphinus wrote:
    Superdelphinius' review is short but punchy. It conveys an anger and irritation with the other poster's critiques of the show. In this compact post he displays a disire that viewers should not over analyse the program and should, as Rene Descart observed, "just watch it... its only a bit of fun innit?"
    X201's review of superdelphinius' review of our review of Top Gear showed a remarkable ability to strip away the fallable flesh and view the bones of the intended meaning. I for one have been enriched by this experience.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• nickthegun 5 Feb 2013 09:32:45 59,971 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Some of the best bits of the older shows are when it's just Clarkson and May doing a feature - Clarkson's Merc Grosser & May's Rolls-Royce; the search for the first 'modern style' car; the communist car feature. All a perfect balance of dicking around and interesting car stuff.
    The receipt top trumps they play is funny. 'Last service...£15k'

• glaeken 5 Feb 2013 10:04:56 11,177 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    spindizzy wrote:
    glaeken wrote:
    I think it's occasionally hilarious, and I'm reasonably certain I'm not a cretin. :-P Out of interest, what should we be watching instead?

Honestly, I think Top Gear has many flaws. I also think that, when there is a really good episode (and there's at least one each series) that it's the best thing on TV by a country mile.

Edit: I mostly agree with CharlieStCloud above, though I think the studio bits (especially the Cool Wall) have always felt very scripted and awkward. I put up with them for the rest.
    Why do people get so defensive? I was just saying I know a bloke who loves it that happens to be a cretin. That was not in any way intended to say if you like it too you are a cretin.
  • JuanKerr 5 Feb 2013 10:14:40 36,251 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    The receipt top trumps they play is funny. 'Last service...£15k'
    :D
  • Page

of 150 First / Last