Top Gear returns Page 2

• Page

of 154 First / Last

• jellyhead 1 Oct 2007 14:48:44 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fruit_Salad wrote:
    You really think Clarkson is given a script and he reads it?
    /mental.
    I think they script and rehearse most of it, yes.
    Of course there's some ad-libbing but i'd say most of the show is staged for the audience.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Deleted user 1 October 2007 14:50:51
    Bring back Driven, that was the nuts!
  • JuanKerr 1 Oct 2007 14:51:46 36,445 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fruit_Salad wrote:
    Doesn't really matter either way. I like it. It's funny. I find it entertaining.

/looks forward to new series.

Agreed.

Roll on Sunday night!
  • Razz 1 Oct 2007 14:54:09 61,655 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Glad you're looking forward to it! :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Razz 1 Oct 2007 14:54:10 61,655 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    Fruit_Salad wrote:
    You really think Clarkson is given a script and he reads it?
    /mental.
    I think they script and rehearse most of it, yes.
    Of course there's some ad-libbing but i'd say most of the show is staged for the audience.
    Richard Porter is responsible most of the shows very clever script.

JC, JM and RH bounce off eachother so well sometimes it can seem like there is no script at all.

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• PES_Fanboy 1 Oct 2007 14:54:40 18,938 posts
    Seen 17 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ManicMinerUK wrote:
    Why would they have writers employed by the show if they weren't?

Regardless of whether it is scripted or not (I couldn't care less):

- Interview questions for special guest
    - News
    - Links between items

No?
  • Deleted user 1 October 2007 14:57:09
    Razz wrote:
    JC, JM and RH bounce off eachother so well sometimes it can seem like there is no script at all.

It's like I'm listening to someone in a parallel universe. They have one of the most unnatural and forced on screen dynamics I have ever seen. It's painful.
  • TheSaint 1 Oct 2007 14:58:51 14,829 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This has long been a beacon of light in the dull night of BBC output which tends to be aimed at people who like London based shout fests (soaps), Catherine Tate, doctor who and ballroom dancing (idiots basically).

I agree that this could do with an update but top gear followed by Michael Palin is not a bad nights TV.
  • Deleted user 1 October 2007 15:01:31
    WOPR wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Razz wrote:

It's like I'm listening to someone in a parallel universe. They have one of the most unnatural and forced on screen dynamics I have ever seen. It's painful.
    Huh? They're all good friends and it shows, you must have weird eyes and ears or something.

No, I just mean the banter and such, it's all so false and rehearsed. It's awful.
  • JuanKerr 1 Oct 2007 15:02:32 36,445 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Razz wrote:

Funny, that's exactly how I feel reading that - are you insane? Pretty much everyone who watches the programme says that the banter between the presenters is one of the main reasons they watch it.
  • jellyhead 1 Oct 2007 15:04:05 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    This has long been a beacon of light in the dull night of BBC output which tends to be aimed at people who like London based shout fests (soaps), Catherine Tate, doctor who and ballroom dancing (idiots basically).
    I agree that this could do with an update but top gear followed by Michael Palin is not a bad nights TV.
    True but it's not the beacon of total entertainment awesomeness that some of the Egyptian Divers are making it out to be. They only need to *tone down* not *get rid of* the OTT daftness that they've been overusing lately and it'd be back on my must watch list as opposed to the "oh, it's on. I'll watch it" list.

• Deleted user 1 October 2007 15:07:36
    JuanKerr wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Razz wrote:

Funny, that's exactly how I feel reading that - are you insane? Pretty much everyone who watches the programme says that the banter between the presenters is one of the main reasons they watch it.

It used to be funny, now it's really forced.

Clarkson: Ha ha, James, why on earth did you think putting a Lotus engine in a toaster was going to beat my Enzo? You're so posh and lame.

James: I'm suprised you can fit into an Enzo as you're so tall.

Clarkson: Yeah, well at least I'm not short like Hammond.

Hammond: I'm not short, you're just too tall and you're posh.

(All laugh like the end of He-Man)

(Fade out)

• jellyhead 1 Oct 2007 15:09:21 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You forgot the hilarious comments about Hammond having his teeth whitened. It gets funnier every time they say it.

• spindizzy 1 Oct 2007 15:42:17 6,610 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think Clarkson has gone on record as saying that the studio stuff is completely scripted (and he writes a lot/most of it), but the car reviews are done by whoever is in the car, and the comedy stuff is almost entirely unscripted. And I think it shows - I do find some of the studio banter a bit forced, but the bits like the drive across America more than make up for it.
  • afray 1 Oct 2007 15:51:46 2,251 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • President_Weasel 1 Oct 2007 15:53:30 9,659 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    They only need to *tone down* not *get rid of* the OTT daftness that they've been overusing lately and it'd be back on my must watch list as opposed to the "oh, it's on. I'll watch it" list.

I agree entirely with this statement.
  • Deleted user 1 October 2007 15:58:25
    Well, I thnk it's fantastic. Can't wait for the new series!
  • tombo 1 Oct 2007 16:11:12 2,100 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I could well believe that many of the 'challenges' are scripted - or at least bits they think might be funny are set up with a camera there.
    But even if they're not the main problem is their egos.
    They've got one of the most succesful beeb programs earning the corp a shit load of money. They all get paid a fortune. Everyone who comes to watch the shows at the studio practically pisses themselves at every glib remark and on-going joke so it must be difficult for those 3 to keep their feet on the ground.
    - and all this stuff about James May being posh and the others less so is a load of rubbish. Clarkson has been a top earning celeb for years and must be a millionaire several times over. His kids all go to great schools and he can afford anything really, he's used to a fairly upper class living by now, it would be hard for him to argue he's 'just' middle class.

I'll probably watch it though. Apart from the comedy 'sketches' it's good fun. And getting a point for naming each music backing track is a good game. Some choices are superb.
  • JuanKerr 1 Oct 2007 16:13:19 36,445 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    tombo wrote:

His kids all go to great schools and he can afford anything really, he's used to a fairly upper class living by now, it would be hard for him to argue he's 'just' middle class.

Being wealthy does not elevate your class status - by that reckoning, David Beckham is upper class.
  • Heitzu 1 Oct 2007 16:19:16 1,161 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Or a in my opinion a better example would be a chav family winning the lottery. They wouldn't be upper class ever.
  • chronom4n 1 Oct 2007 20:05:19 527 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    what i am looking forward to and dreading at the same time is how the 3 guys and stig included bragging about how they did at the britcar 24hrs endurance race seeing as i was witness to it. Man they are going to go on and on about it. So i am waiting with baited breath for this when the new series begins. by the way, look out for the sponsor and the way they plastered it acroos the side of the car. just google top gear/britcar and you will know what i mean.
  • dsmx 2 Oct 2007 00:59:41 7,727 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just saw the pictures from the britcar thing. I love the sponser logo's they had on the car.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• chronom4n 2 Oct 2007 06:20:52 527 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    I just saw the pictures from the britcar thing. I love the sponser logo's they had on the car.

see what i mean? brilliant piece of humour, the funny thing is that the humour was on both sides and you could only see it when the cars were in pit lane and the doors were open! glad someone checked it out though. oh, and you ae aware that the sponsors were fictional?
  • dsmx 2 Oct 2007 10:51:50 7,727 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    chronom4n wrote:
    dsmx wrote:

see what i mean? brilliant piece of humour, the funny thing is that the humour was on both sides and you could only see it when the cars were in pit lane and the doors were open! glad someone checked it out though. oh, and you ae aware that the sponsors were fictional?

Duh I thought they were real! Of course I know there fictional that's why they were great especially when they opened the door.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• infoxicated 2 Oct 2007 11:23:27 1,241 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Clarkson explained in TG Magazine that the last show had been so full of the scripted "tossing around" segements because it had taken Hammond so long to get well after his accident that the series had to be shortened.

As they'd already filmed so much of the messing about stuff before the accident, and it had been so expensive to do, they had to include it all at the cost of the cheaper stuff they do, like the car reviews.

That was why the last series was just such a farce. They had a vote on the TG website asking whether people wanted more of that kind of stuff or a return to the previous format. Fingers crossed it was the petrol heads that won out over the Dirty Sanchez fans.

I hope it'll return to the previous format - a dick around every so often is a good laugh, but I watch it for the cars - not the acting "talent" of the presenters. I gave up on Braniac after the second season for the same sort of thing - too much purile shite ruined what was originally a decent show.
  • jellyhead 2 Oct 2007 11:32:54 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sounds good, intoxicated. A return to the lofty form of a while ago. Cool.

• crashVoodoo 7 Oct 2007 11:27:13 4,019 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    chronom4n wrote:
    what i am looking forward to and dreading at the same time is how the 3 guys and stig included bragging about how they did at the britcar 24hrs endurance race seeing as i was witness to it. Man they are going to go on and on about it. So i am waiting with baited breath for this when the new series begins. by the way, look out for the sponsor and the way they plastered it acroos the side of the car. just google top gear/britcar and you will know what i mean.

pics of the car n other stuff

arse biscuits :)

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• espy 7 Oct 2007 11:46:06 840 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh help, the car is hilarious! :D This airs today?
  • crashVoodoo 7 Oct 2007 11:47:13 4,019 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    espy wrote:
    Oh help, the car is hilarious! :D This airs today?
    don't know about the britcar stuff specifically but yes, top gear returns tonight.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Page

of 154 First / Last