Advice please. Need new in-ear earphones, with some specific features. Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • Dirtbox 7 Oct 2007 23:17:41 77,656 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Come for the advice, stay for the abuse.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 7 October 2007 23:18:21
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Come for the advice, stay for the abuse.

Keeps me sane.
  • NewYork 7 Oct 2007 23:24:50 24,838 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • NewYork 7 Oct 2007 23:25:10 24,838 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So any recommendations for round-the-back headphones that don't go in your ears?
  • terminalterror 8 Oct 2007 00:18:39 18,937 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    NewYork wrote:
    So any recommendations for round-the-back headphones that don't go in your ears?

Not the CX300 would be my first step.
  • terminalterror 8 Oct 2007 00:23:09 18,937 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Shinji wrote:
    Just bought a set of those CX300s. They better be as great as you all say, or I'm going to come around and draw spunking cocks on your legs.

(Inquiring minds demand to know whether this actually happened, TT.)

Whilst I was travelling around in the US after summer camp, I did a Trek America tour where there were 9 early 20ish travellers and a guide in a van. With 3 weeks to do the best of the southwest, there were some long drives, some of which I snoozed with these headphones in.

On one of them, the fine gentleman sitting next to me obviously managed to draw a big spunking cock on my leg without me waking up or noticing. In fact, I only noticed when we stopped to fill up with petrol and wander round a gift shop. He came up to me in the middle of the (crowded) shop and alerted me to the cock spunkage, chuckling away, and pointing out that now would probably be a good time to attempt to wash it off.

I had my revenge though. He managed to wake up with a small but perfectly drawn spunking cock on his nose.
  • terminalterror 8 Oct 2007 00:25:02 18,937 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    I have a pair of CX300s and can confirm that they are acebest! Very pleased with them.
    It's a bit weird if you're listening to some music and then start eating something as all the eating sounds in your mouth get 'amplified' because you aren't hearing any external noises. Or maybe that's just me....

It could be that. My guess is that the eating sounds are amplified because the earphones make a seal in your ear canal, so the sound of you eating carries along your jawbone and into your ear canal, where it then bounces back off the earphone, seeming louder than normal.

Just a guess though.
  • Deleted user 8 October 2007 00:44:42
    terminalterror wrote:
    Shinji wrote:
    Just bought a set of those CX300s. They better be as great as you all say, or I'm going to come around and draw spunking cocks on your legs.

(Inquiring minds demand to know whether this actually happened, TT.)

Whilst I was travelling around in the US after summer camp, I did a Trek America tour where there were 9 early 20ish travellers and a guide in a van. With 3 weeks to do the best of the southwest, there were some long drives, some of which I snoozed with these headphones in.

On one of them, the fine gentleman sitting next to me obviously managed to draw a big spunking cock on my leg without me waking up or noticing. In fact, I only noticed when we stopped to fill up with petrol and wander round a gift shop. He came up to me in the middle of the (crowded) shop and alerted me to the cock spunkage, chuckling away, and pointing out that now would probably be a good time to attempt to wash it off.

I had my revenge though. He managed to wake up with a small but perfectly drawn spunking cock on his nose.

This makes this entire thread all the more worthwhile.

Meanwhile, my metal housemate and his friend scared the fucking shit outta me when they walked into the lounge as I was listening to Manu Chao. Never heard them come in. So be warned - dangerous shit about with these things on, ninja's could sneak up on you unawares.
  • striker 8 Oct 2007 01:55:23 2,603 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    WOPR wrote:
    WOPR wrote:
    My CX300s are here. First off, why is one bit of the cable longer than the other, am I supposed to wrap it round the back of my head or something?!

Main concern though, is that although they sound awesome with plenty of bass, one slight movement and you hear the rumbling as the headphone wire rubs on itself. Any way of avoiding that somehow?
    Anybody?
    Actually, yes!

If you make them go up behind your ear and then insert them upside down it helps a lot. Mainly the left one.
  • Syrette 3 Mar 2014 19:27:24 43,237 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't have specific feature requirements like the OP, but I do need some new earphones.

Looked at Klipsch, SoundMagic, Audio-Technica, Beyerdynamic ones so far but wondering what the people on here would recommend. Got a couple in the lead for me at the moment but taking reviews with a pinch of salt because they can't review things like build quality over a period of time.

Looking to spend about 40-65. Had a pair of these Beats earphones that came with my HTC phone, and are pretty good to be fair to them (worst comes to worst I'll just buy another pair of those for 30, but I figured I might spend a few more quid to get better quality sound).

Cheers.

• mrcrumley 3 Mar 2014 20:13:26 371 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This is the pair I got, really pleased, got them via the headphones sub Reddit. here you go

Here is the list I used.

Edited by mrcrumley at 20:15:55 03-03-2014

Edited by mrcrumley at 20:16:50 03-03-2014
  • kalel 3 Mar 2014 20:44:58 86,809 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Klipche x10 were 100 on Amazon last time I checked which is deal of the century. Worth three times that. Great in ears.
  • monkehhh 3 Mar 2014 20:51:49 3,291 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm a big fan of my SoundMagic E10s - lots of spare rubber bits, solid build quality and good sound (used them for at least two hours a day for lots of days). Good for the 25 / 30 quid market.
  • Dairyfree 3 Mar 2014 21:24:41 1,136 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    +1 For the soundmagic e10s.

Only just failed me after a long time of constant use. I'll be buying another pair as a replacement.
  • andyc1980 3 Mar 2014 21:44:46 1,093 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Syrette I use those very same beats earphones with my vita. Rather good compared to most I've had with phones before.
  • Syrette 3 Mar 2014 21:54:58 43,237 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @andyc1980

Yeah, they're decent. Left earpiece is dead on my current pair though so I've been using my CX300s as a temporary set till I get better ones.

Thanks for the advice so far guys, not against going over/under my supposed budget for what you've suggested.

If there's not much difference in quality though between the Beats and say, the E10s, then I'll likely get the Beats ones again (I know, not something I should admit on here) as they unlock some fancy equaliser setting on HTC phones (pretty sure my next phone will be the new HTC One) and the remote works perfectly on them. Plus I know what I'm getting, sonically-speaking.

• Dairyfree 3 Mar 2014 22:01:57 1,136 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    I've had both sets of headphones (beats and e10s) and the e10s are 10x better (/coat)

So much more clarity and the bass is so much better too.
  • THFourteen 3 Mar 2014 22:13:06 33,104 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    These are my favourite ones. I have two pairs. The red being the ones I like most, but the grey are more understated.

http://www.engadget.com/products/v-moda/remix/remote/
  • Syrette 3 Mar 2014 22:24:10 43,237 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Dairyfree

How long are the cables? Sounds like a weird question but I've had Sony's and Sennheiser's in the past and I've wished the things were longer as I'm pretty tall...

• Trowel 3 Mar 2014 22:24:12 17,534 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've been using RHA MA600s for a few months and while the acoustics are good, for me it's the build quality that makes them stand out in the price range (50). The cabling is plastic encased, which not only makes them near impossible to tangle, also means there's virtually no microphonics, which is my major bugbear for portable earphones. 8 bud sizes included so decent isolation.
  • Dairyfree 3 Mar 2014 22:35:49 1,136 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Syrette wrote:
    @Dairyfree

How long are the cables? Sounds like a weird question but I've had Sony's and Sennheiser's in the past and I've wished the things were longer as I'm pretty tall...
    I'm 6ft and they reach my head from jeans pocket easily if that helps.
  • yegon 4 Mar 2014 06:08:33 5,211 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Whoa, I've zero recollection of starting this thread!

Anyway, these days Im using Plantronics Backbeat Go 2 wireless BT earphones. They're not cheap and you have to charge them every couple of days, but I love them. They pair seamlessly to upto 8 BT devices and I use mine with phone, iPad, Vita, PS3/4 and occasionally the laptop.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00DZTHW9U/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1393913092&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY165

I used Sony MW600 BT earphones for 3 years but the battery went on mine a few months ago. Can't bear to used wired earphones anymore. Tried to acquire some new MW600s but they're discontinued and have been succeeded by inferior successors that by all accounts overcomplicate matters and don't work as well. Bad Sony.
  • Syrette 5 Mar 2014 02:09:49 43,237 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted

• Syrette 5 Mar 2014 03:01:33 43,237 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really do appreciate the advice, but I've ended up ordering these (just under budget, no less)...

MediaDevil Artisanphonics EB-01

Apparently the wooden housing really does make a difference, will know for sure in a day or two. Came very close to getting some 50 RHA MA600s too, but with any luck I'll have saved myself 20 here and not really lost much if anything.

• Dairyfree 5 Mar 2014 10:34:02 1,136 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    They look pretty smart actually, let me know how you get on with them.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next