• sabata 29 Sep 2007 14:41:07 30 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    here are my thoughts:

blockbuster
    - lower prices on new games
    - good trade in prices
    - there are blockbusters everywhere
    - on a bad note, you can only use your store credit in the same store you got it from (not nationally inter-linked :( )

gamestation
    - better prices than game
    - okay trade in prices
    - stock pre-owned pc games
    - stock retro consoles
    - not so many gamestations across country compared to rest
    - stores smell funny (geek sweat/weed/sperm)

game
    - you have to get a mortgage to afford new releases
    - trade in prices are low
    - stores are clean
    - stores are everywhere (like subways, they are spreading like herpies)

just my two cents B) ...
  • MrSensible 29 Sep 2007 14:43:04 25,369 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GAME tend to do better trade in prices than Gamestation at the moment. We get loads of customers coming to us saying GS had offered them a lot, lot, less.

I'm not going to lie and say the trade in values are really amazing, but we tend to beat GS right now.
  • ElNuevo9 29 Sep 2007 14:43:48 13,601 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My local game in Manchester gives better trade in prices than Gamestation. I do agree about the funky smells in Gamestation though :)

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• BobsYourUncle 29 Sep 2007 14:44:43 718 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Internet
    Lowest prices on games.
    Best trade in prices on games.
    It's everywhere!
    Retro/Pre-owned etc...
    It doesn't smell.
  • Deleted user 29 September 2007 14:45:37
    I've been using blockies of late. The nice thing is the in store credit. Take in a game that you've finished with long before you want to buy something else, whilst it's still worth something, and just keep the store credit. I've funded Halo3, PGR4, Skate, and PES like that.

They also tend to have some nice trade in deals from time to time... I got DIRT for £9.99 and trading in FN3, and I got Tiger 08 for £9.99 after trading Tiger 07.

Also, great prices. Bioshock LE with Faceplate - £34.99. Halo 3 - £34.99.
  • sabata 29 Sep 2007 14:49:39 30 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    supermarkets can be good for prices, but they do not usually stock a great range, and no trade-ins.

i live down south, but my northern friends say they have a shop called CEX up there that is meant to be quite good.

i think its a shame that there are not as many independent, local run shops like there used to be in the cartridge days.

damn corporate competition >:|
  • Cloudane 29 Sep 2007 14:55:12 1,974 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    sabata wrote:
    supermarkets can be good for prices, but they do not usually stock a great range, and no trade-ins.

I have been buying my Wii games from Sainsbury’s or the local Tesco store as I get my weekly supply of food. It is much easier, less hassle if you want to return it and is often reasonably priced; most new releases are £30-40!

It's all good.
  • MrSensible 29 Sep 2007 14:55:55 25,369 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That CEX place just opened up here. Luckily for us (GAME) nobody here has ever heard of it, so I doubt that many people are going to go there at first but that may change over time. They do some cracking trade in prices mind (however, this may be due to the fact that it's a new store... that often happens. Gamestation were the same here at first).
  • basiclee 30 Sep 2007 00:37:38 56 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Former Gamestation concessions (the ones inside Blockbuster) take the best bits from BB and Gamestation as far as I'm concerned. Bioshock and Halo 3 were both 34.99 as well.
  • Deleted user 30 September 2007 00:42:26
    CEX has been around for years. In London, at least.
  • devilsknight 30 Sep 2007 00:50:19 6 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Whenever I go into town to buy a game (which is rare because play and amazon are much cheaper) I always go to Gamestation because they are sometimes cheaper (new releases same price as everywhere else), good trade-in prices, have better non-software merchandise and I'm good friends with the owner who always plays good music in the store :)
  • Deleted user 30 September 2007 01:03:50
    I really dislike the way that Game will put pre-owned stuff on the same shelves as new games, it's really bad for the games industry. Their prices for new titles are also extortionate compared to internet prices.
  • Deleted user 30 September 2007 01:13:36
    Caspar_Esq. wrote:
    CEX, at least the one on T. Court Rd., is not merely a bit smelly but positively repulsive.
    Yep. but luckly there's another shop 5 minutes away that's much, much nicer with a half decent import/retro/rare bits and bobs section as well (as CEX seems to have died on it's arse in that department). Unfortunately the name eludes me completely, but I'm sure someone can remember...
  • sabata 30 Sep 2007 08:12:11 30 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    i seem to remember electronics boutique used to be quite good, before game got their hands on it.

would have thought internet competition would have killed game off by now though...
  • Dougs 30 Sep 2007 08:29:27 69,518 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    Caspar_Esq. wrote:
    CEX, at least the one on T. Court Rd., is not merely a bit smelly but positively repulsive.
    Yep. but luckly there's another shop 5 minutes away that's much, much nicer with a half decent import/retro/rare bits and bobs section as well (as CEX seems to have died on it's arse in that department). Unfortunately the name eludes me completely, but I'm sure someone can remember...

Game Focus (or something) near Goodge St?
  • buggrit 30 Sep 2007 11:12:15 5,179 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    disussedgenius wrote:
    Caspar_Esq. wrote:

Sounds right. They're excellent, or always were (don't live in England anymore), and had some way cool bits and pieces.
  • MrSensible 30 Sep 2007 11:14:46 25,369 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    CEX has been around for years. In London, at least.

Yeah but the one here is new and literally not one person has ever heard of it (I wouldn't know of it if it wasn't for this very website!) so that's working to our advantage. Still, they give such top notch trade in prices at the moment in this particular store (Gamestation did when they first opened too, now theirs are worse than ours) that they're bound to take some of the business away.
  • Deleted user 30 September 2007 11:16:17
    Definately agree with the smell funny part. Every Gamestation Ive ever been in smells funny. In not a nice way. I havnt had that with Blockbuster or Game lol.
  • MrSensible 30 Sep 2007 11:17:48 25,369 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kirly_Wombat wrote:
    Definately agree with the smell funny part. Every Gamestation Ive ever been in smells funny. In not a nice way. I havnt had that with Blockbuster or Game lol.

Yeah the one here smells a bit as well. There's this gorgeous girl who works there though, so I wish to rescue her from the stench pit haha.
  • ghearoid 30 Sep 2007 11:21:07 2,295 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh, the Gamestation in Manchester reeks of sweaty pimply teenage boys and they play that godawful yank rawk music. It's awful.

Um, unless you're into that kind of thing of course. No judgement.

;op

• Razz 30 Sep 2007 12:10:52 61,655 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Game Focus > *

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• sabata 30 Sep 2007 13:09:43 30 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Harry wrote:

Electronics Boutique actually bought GAME not the other way around. Then EB decided to change the company branding of all of its stores to the less wussy sounding GAME.

should have called it 'Electronic Booty', and gone all hip-hop...

• sugapunk 30 Sep 2007 13:43:56 220 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Harry wrote:
    Electronics Boutique actually bought GAME not the other way around. Then EB decided to change the company branding of all of its stores to the less wussy sounding GAME.

Well, they didn't change it because they wanted to - they weren't actually EB. The EB name and branding was a franchise of the American company - and their contract with them was about to end. As EB US had plans to open stores of their own in the UK, EB UK decided to scrap EB name and branding altogether and change to GAME entirely.

However, in the end, EB bought GameStop and decided to open stores across the UK instead. Although I'm not sure if the GameStop UK stores are also a franchise.
  • Deleted user 30 September 2007 13:45:12
    Dougs wrote:
    Yeah, I can only remember it as 'that shop on Google Street'. :)
  • FooAtari 30 Sep 2007 14:07:03 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BobsYourUncle wrote:
    The Internet
    Lowest prices on games.
    Best trade in prices on games.
    It's everywhere!
    Retro/Pre-owned etc...
    It doesn't smell.

+1

Rarely buy games in shops these days. Pre-orders can be had a day or two early online too.
  • Hunam 30 Sep 2007 14:09:45 20,674 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    -1 you have to wait over a day for the games to turn up.

I WANT THEM NOW DAMNIT!
  • Deleted user 30 September 2007 14:10:38
    -1 if a game breaks release date you're buggered.

/is still bitter about PES 6's release
  • Deleted user 30 September 2007 14:34:31
    I use Blockbusters a lot, always good trade-in prices and the price always goes down if there's competition on the high street.

You can use store credit to buy vouchers to use in other stores, btw.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous