Manic Street Preachers Page 3

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• ecu 14 May 2009 21:53:55 77,318 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's ridiculous. But then I suppose the publicity can't be a bad thing.
  • Deleted user 16 May 2009 19:36:23
    Picked up the limited version today which comes in book format (kind of like a journal funnily enough!). CD 2 contains the demos for every song on the album, great stuff for fans like me, probably not much use for others.

The album is just fantastic though, but the Manics can do little wrong in my eyes. I love The Holy Bible but other faves include This is my truth and send away the tigers which was a real return to form in my eyes.

While nowhere near as dark as The Holy Bible this album is certainly evocative of it, lyrically and musically.

Fantastic stuff, the gigs in a few weeks should be brilliant.
  • ecu 16 May 2009 19:40:32 77,318 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I hope my signed album arrives this week. Haven't heard the demo's yet.
  • Deleted user 16 May 2009 19:46:50
    Depends what you're expecting from your demos? If you want something recorded in James garage on a drum machine with poor sound then you'll be disappointed. If you're hoping for high quality recordings of the songs before the engineers get too wrapped up in changing stuff then you're in for a treat.

I love 'em, really do.
  • ecu 16 May 2009 19:51:45 77,318 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thought they didn't do much in terms of production for it? Basically just played the songs and recorded it, on analogue. Thought that was the reason they got Steve Albini in, who has been described as the most famous man to ever use a tape recorder. So they're just warm up recordings?

Doesn't matter anyway, I'm mostly looking forward to the packaging, then the gig in a couple of weeks. Can't wait, cause usually when you go to see a band that's released more than a few albums, you're more excited for the classics than you are for the new songs. That certainly has been the cast for the last four or fives times I've been to see the Manics, even with SATT. But for this album, I'm genuinely more excited to hear some of these live than I am for a lot of the songs I've seen them play tons of times before.
  • Deleted user 16 May 2009 20:02:40
    Some of the demos are more different to the finished versions than others, James doesn't sing on all the demos either and some songs like 'Journal' have a much more acoustic feel on the demo and it's great to see how it's evolved.

I'm looking forward to giving them much more attention.

The packaging for the LE is great, all Richie's lyrics are printed in book form inside along with some photos. Definitely glad I picked it up now instead of the standard version.
  • Messiac 17 May 2009 13:06:42 3,465 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just got my limited edition copy and it is rather special. Not listened to the demo tracks yet but the binding / presentation is awesome.

Journal like as posted above and the first chance I have had to actually read the lyrics.

Still loving the album, signed copy ecureuil eh? Very nice indeed.

There was a short documentary on channel 4 late last night about JFPL - reflecting on the lyric and Richey. Probably available on tinternet now! Shadows and Words I think it was called.
  • angerisagift 18 May 2009 11:53:41 1,947 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My copy is in the post also, can't wait. By the way, has anyone seen the the ridiculous censorship by some of the supermarkets? Apparently they are insisting that the cover be hidden in a plain sleeve because the image is 'innapropriate' and possibly offensive?! The world most definitely has gone MAD methinks.

XBL GT: C0keMachineGl0w
    PSN ID: StarrySummerSky

• ecu 18 May 2009 17:59:03 77,318 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Messiac wrote:
    Still loving the album, signed copy ecureuil eh? Very nice indeed.

Yup, it arrived today! What a brilliant little package it is. It's nice to read the lyrics and fill in the ones I couldn't work out myself. The second line in the chorus of She Bathed Herself In A Bath Of Bleach has been confusing me for weeks!
  • Bi50N Global Brand Manager, Deep Silver 18 May 2009 18:04:48 297 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Four plays on repeat and... i like it.

It's from the same rug as the Holy Bible, just a much softer part. Like me, they've mellowed - even when angry...

This is Yesterday from the Holy Bible sounds like the crossover track that could easily be on this

http://twitter.com/Bi50N

• Messiac 19 May 2009 08:09:04 3,465 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love ...bath of bleach, every now and then I think it really is an In Utero outtake. Pretension/Repulsion just shows how insanely clever Richey was and Doors Closing Slowly is a beautiful track.
  • ecu 22 May 2009 12:42:12 77,318 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The demo's are really good. What's odd is that, I presume, the ones with Nicky singing are the ones he wrote and performed himself before showing them to the rest of the band. Which would mean perhaps my two favourite songs from the album, She Bathed.. and Marlon JD, were written by him! Pretension/Repulsion is another that I really like the demo of. If they'd taken that version forward, I may even prefer it to the one we got.
  • Messiac 22 May 2009 12:51:36 3,465 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think all lyrics are Richey's Ecureuil - Nicky mentioned doing demo vocals for a lot of the tracks in interviews relating to the album and the recent documentary shown on channel 4 I believe. He pretty much said that he isn't the best singer in the world and that it was best left to James.

All of the lyrics are pretty much as Richey left them except for Williams Last Words - which apparently was about a page and a half of A4, which makes me think even more of its true purpose. Nicky had to edit it down and as he did so he thought it best to try vocals as well. Plus I think the close relationship he had with Richey may have played a part too.
  • ecu 22 May 2009 13:04:46 77,318 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes I know the lyrics are Richey's. Music is written too, they don't just make it up as they go along. :p
  • Messiac 22 May 2009 13:13:39 3,465 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah ok, I got confused by the wrote and performed line in your post - I thought you meant lyrics and music : )

They don't just make the music up as they go along????

/faints
  • ecu 22 May 2009 13:18:14 77,318 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyway, the guys did a bit of work on the lyrics. Don't know if you bought the album, but it contains the actual printed lyrics that Richey wrote, they're not edited down to how they are in the songs, and it shows that there are a lot of lyrics that weren't included. A few Manics fans on other forums are kicking up a bit of a fuss about how much was left out. Some have even complained that Nicky edited William's Last Words to make it sound like a suicide not from Richey. Reading it, you get a bit of a different vibe than you do from the song they made.
  • Messiac 22 May 2009 13:35:08 3,465 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nicky did mention that in one of the interviews I saw, the fact that if left unedited it isn't as suggestive as it is now.

I got the album yeah but I didn't really make much of what editing was done apart from the last track.

I'm hoping the lyrics that didn't feature at all will appear as B-Sides or in a collectors box at some stage.
  • Deleted user 27 May 2009 22:41:47
    What do you all think of the album now you've had it for a while?

I've given it probably 10 listens and it's still growing. I think it's genuinely up there with their best, it's an utterly fantastic piece of work.

I thought Send Away The Tigers was easily their best album of recent years but this kicks it into touch, which is no mean feat.
  • ecu 27 May 2009 22:42:31 77,318 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Listened to it probably over 50 times, it's fantastic. Going to see them on Monday, can't wait.
  • Deleted user 27 May 2009 22:44:46
    I'm going saturday week, ulster hall in belfast and like you, can't wait :)
  • Azazel 27 May 2009 22:58:53 726 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My signed copy is sitting in front of me on the desk looking lovely :)

I'll be going to see them in the Ulster Hall soon. Yay!

The special edition is a really nice artifact. The full unedited lyrics were cool to look through. Some of my favourite lines didn't even make it into the songs. 'All sensations are failure to lower behavour'.

The page that contains 'Basic needs of relationships' is interesting and really quite melancholy really. It's just such cold analysis - of everything on this album it seems like the most incisive glimpse into his mind.

Williams Last Words does take on something of a different meaning in the editing. You can see that actually it really is written as a character, but in the song it comes across differently - as has been mentioned almost as a suicide note - something more personal. I can fully understand Nicky Wire singing it. Jimmy would have turned it into a ballad - and that just wouldn't fit the song - Wire lends it the fragility that it requires.

What is distinctive about Edwards is his ability to condense. Some of the lines come across as pure aphorisms. 'The more I see the less I scream', 'The Levi Jean has always been stronger than the Uzi' - I mean, that line could have been on Generation Terrorists.

Anyway, it just stirs up your imagination doesn't it? Rare comoditiy isn't it. Just kudos to the Manics for letting us into that weird world of words once last time.

• Deleted user 27 May 2009 23:30:10
    See ya in the ulster hall dude!
  • Merlinho 4 Jun 2009 19:46:23 5,908 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just listening to the Demo CD for the first time. Was quite surprised to hear Nicky singing on Marlon JD! To be honest, I wish he'd leave the singing to James...

I really hope they announce a South Wales gig soon, they have to surely...
  • ecu 4 Jun 2009 23:40:53 77,318 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Merlinho wrote:
    Just listening to the Demo CD for the first time. Was quite surprised to hear Nicky singing on Marlon JD! To be honest, I wish he'd leave the singing to James...

Well.. he does! I'm guessing the two songs he sings on the demo's were how he pitched them to the band. The intention was always for James to sing them. He even intended for James to sing William's Last Words, but James listened to it and refused, said he couldn't sing like that. And I agree.

Anyway, went to see them at the Wolverhampton Civic Centre this monday, it was bloody fantastic. Nearly all of the JFPL stuff plays really well live. Jackie Collins, one of my least favourite songs from the album, suddenly became extremely powerful when played live. And This Joke Sport Severed was so intense as well. Nicky fudged the lyrics to WLW (changed one of the lines to "..and I can't get these fucking words right"), and then left by saying "Sorry Richey", bless. We gave him a great reception, he was clearly still feeling a bit under the weather, and even sat down out of view during You Stole The Sun.

With Nicky being less vocal, James took it upon himself to carry the gig, and was fucking phenomenal. I've seen them a few times, and I've seen them just play, but I've never seen James so in to the songs. Best version of Motorcycle I've seen live, best version of You Love Us, hell, it was all great.
  • Azazel 7 Jun 2009 16:37:21 726 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just recovering from the gig in the Ulster Hall last night.

Won't be able to speak properly for a day or two I think. It was really absolutely fucking monumental.
  • Deleted user 14 June 2009 02:06:48
    Azazel wrote:
    Just recovering from the gig in the Ulster Hall last night.

Won't be able to speak properly for a day or two I think. It was really absolutely fucking monumental.

I was there too, front row a little to the left of centre :)
  • Deleted user 18 July 2009 23:34:54
    I always thought that the title track of the new album sounded like a Rush song, and after watching this interview James admits they wanted to make it sound like Rush, what a tribute!

Interesting interview as they go through every track on the album, well worth seeing:

Linky
  • Merlinho 19 Jul 2009 00:53:44 5,908 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers for that link, I'd missed it before.
  • Deleted user 5 October 2009 01:32:04
    Merlinho wrote:
    Cheers for that link, I'd missed it before.

You're welcome.
  • ecu 5 Oct 2009 08:54:15 77,318 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What an odd bump. :p
  • Page

of 7 First / Last