Post of the day

• Page

of 123 First / Last

Previous
  • NewYork 27 Sep 2007 15:08:27 24,838 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Feel free to chip in with notable inclusions. Good posts should be celebrated.

Today I nominate haowan.

haowan wrote:
    joeking wrote:
    haowan wrote:
    joeking wrote:
    Still, Halo 3 sweeps the board then it would seem. Even the somewhat elitist Eurogamer and Edge are swooning. GOTY?
    Could be, in terms of ratings; it seems to be suffering from the same sort of marketing hype from which Gears suffered. The media penetration for Halo 3 is pretty much unprecedented.
    Please don't tell me you're actually in league with all those conspiracy-driven tards in the comments section who honestly believe that Halo 3's critical success is purely down to copious amounts of brown envelopes changing hands? o_O

Maybe, you know, it's just an amazing game?

I'm not in league with anyone, you momentous penis.

\o/
  • Blerk Moderator 27 Sep 2007 15:12:18 48,225 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Or monumental?
  • smoothpete 27 Sep 2007 15:13:02 31,469 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No I checked, momentous is ok. Means of high significance, which I guess makes sense in the context
  • dirigiblebill 27 Sep 2007 15:13:40 1,634 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As in 'penis of great moment'.
  • haowan 27 Sep 2007 15:16:27 7,384 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    thanks
  • morriss 27 Sep 2007 15:16:50 70,920 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I got NHL 08 and NASCAR 08 PS3 for free in the post today.
  • Goban 27 Sep 2007 15:17:55 9,052 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    That's a bit depressing, poor you.
  • mouse Moderator 27 Sep 2007 15:18:08 10,312 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    morriss wrote:

Sounds like a crap post to me.
  • Blerk Moderator 27 Sep 2007 15:19:38 48,225 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    What's the trade-in value on those?
  • NewYork 27 Sep 2007 15:20:26 24,838 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just loved the bluntness, though the use of momentous was pretty cool too.

Joeking isn't called a penis quite enough.
  • Der_tolle_Emil 27 Sep 2007 15:20:33 7,299 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Seconded. I laughed :)
  • heyyo 27 Sep 2007 15:20:58 14,374 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fruit_Salad wrote:
    Things you really shouldn't have said at work...
    Manager: "I'm busy so F_S you're in charge on this project'

/everyones eyes switch from Manager to me like I've been passed some invisible baton of shitness.

Me: 'I don't get paid enough to be in charge of anything'

Manager: 'Can I see you after this please'.

:)
  • dirigiblebill 27 Sep 2007 15:21:21 1,634 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Goban wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    That's a bit depressing, poor you.

I can top that.
  • Murbal 27 Sep 2007 15:22:44 22,053 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    WOPR wrote:
    Post of the day? Probably Mapster turning up on AATG and acting like nothing happened.

You see, I missed that. What did happen?
  • haowan 27 Sep 2007 15:22:55 7,384 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    WOPR wrote:
    Post of the day? Probably Mapster turning up on AATG and acting like nothing happened.

Yeah heh. He seems pretty dangerous actually. Scary stuff. Maybe he was just messing around before and this time he's really snapped. Cold, calculating psycho mode. *shudder* just ban him on sight I reckon.
  • El_MUERkO 27 Sep 2007 15:23:18 16,970 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nascar may suck but NHL 08 is great :D
  • morriss 27 Sep 2007 15:23:56 70,920 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    joeking has a point though:as soon as a relatively 'low-brow' game like Halo seemingly sweeps the board as far as ratings are concerned it's then just the reviewers who can't seem to see through the hype. However, when games like ICO, SotC and Mario get criticial success - being reviewed by the same reviewers in many cases - then they get it spot on.

So although haowan's retort might've been funny, joeking was right, imo.
  • Deleted user 27 September 2007 15:24:25
    /runs to AATG before Mappy gets shunned into oblivion
  • NewYork 27 Sep 2007 15:24:56 24,838 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    WOPR wrote:
    Oh, I loved that.

Makes the huge amounts of public worrying about him all the sweeter.
  • X201 27 Sep 2007 15:27:36 15,229 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post of the day
  • Deleted user 27 September 2007 15:28:52
    morriss wrote:
    However, when games like ICO, SotC and Mario get criticial success - being reviewed by the same reviewers in many cases - then they get it spot on.
    Mario is high-brow now? :)
  • UncleLou Moderator 27 Sep 2007 15:30:38 35,492 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    joeking has a point though:as soon as a relatively 'low-brow' game like Halo seemingly sweeps the board as far as ratings are concerned it's then just the reviewers who can't seem to see through the hype. However, when games like ICO, SotC and Mario get criticial success - being reviewed by the same reviewers in many cases - then they get it spot on.

It's still a bit naive to assume that huge marketing and hype campaigns have no influence whatsoever on scores - not with money changing hands, but because humans are influenceable. That's just how things are. Maybe the game absolutely deserves all the scores it gets, but to point out Metacritic and flat out deny the power of marketing could have to do anything with it, like joeking did, is a bit daft.

And Ico is really a bad example. Who had heard of Ico before it was released?

The irony of course being that it's usually exactly types like joeking who then say Ico just got high scores because it's "artsy".
  • nickthegun 27 Sep 2007 15:31:49 59,367 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fruit_Salad wrote:
    Love the fact they have a thread over there chatting about what's happening on the Eurogamer forum.

Containing such posts as 'They suck, we are awesome' and 'We are awesome, they suck'.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Deleted user 27 September 2007 15:32:05
    morriss wrote:

Meh, it's all part of the same thing - people being unable to just accept it without comment when a review expresses a different opinion than their own. People who claim some sort of vindication through high review scores for a game they've been looking forward to for ages are just as guilty as those who start moaning when a game is (in their eyes) overrated.

And Mario's plenty as mainstream as Halo.
  • morriss 27 Sep 2007 15:32:38 70,920 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    However, when games like ICO, SotC and Mario get criticial success - being reviewed by the same reviewers in many cases - then they get it spot on.
    Mario is high-brow now? :)
    Well you could class the creativity and level-design as high-brow, yes.
  • NewYork 27 Sep 2007 15:34:31 24,838 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ico and SotC both got 8/10 from Edge. Just sayin'.
  • haowan 27 Sep 2007 15:35:34 7,384 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The best part of my awesome post is the italics though, which are sadly lost in the quotation. The italics turn it from just a lol into TOTAL OWNAGE. Hey if you guys ever need some OWNAGE dished out, just send me a PM or something. I'll sort you right out.
  • morriss 27 Sep 2007 15:36:17 70,920 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    morriss wrote:

It's still a bit naive to assume that huge marketing and hype campaigns have no influence whatsoever on scores - not with money changing hands, but because humans are influenceable. That's just how things are. Maybe the game absolutely deserves all the scores it gets, but to point out Metacritic and flat out deny the power of marketing could have to do anything with it, like joeking did, is a bit daft.

And Ico is really a bad example. Who had heard of Ico before it was released?

The irony of course being that it's usually exactly types like joeking who then say Ico just got high scores because it's "artsy".

I'm not saying he's 100% right. I'm saying he's got a point.

At the end of the day EG's 10/10 speaks volumes. Gears of War was hyped to buggery and most sites lapped up the graphical presentation and scored it full marks. EG saw the wood through the trees and marked it an 8. The same publication then gives Halo 3 a 10/10 and if the text in the review doesn't allay all fears that the reviewer was somehow influenced by hype then I don't know what will.

...and maybe, just maybe, all the other reviewers enjoyed it just as much as he did?
  • Page

of 123 First / Last

Previous