Halo 4 Page 3

  • Page

    of 173 First / Last

  • Deleted user 20 September 2010 13:37:36
    Derblington wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Given the choice, I would much rather have had Halo 4 than Reach.

    Noooooooo!

    Reach is easily the best Halo game to date.

    Reach isn't even the best Halo game on Xbox 360, never mind reaching the heights of Halo: CE

    what the hell is wrong with people

    /grumbles
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 20 Sep 2010 13:45:21 10,781 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Reach's campaign pisses on Halo 3's from a great height (IMO).

    The further away it goes, the less I like Halo 3. Even began to prefer ODST's campaign to it...
  • Britesparc Creative, ITV 20 Sep 2010 13:49:03 1,875 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've not finished Reach yet, but ODST's campaign is my favourite out of all the Halos.

    Tha might be because half the cast of Firefly are in it, mind.

    I personally think Halo 3's campaign is brilliant, though: it's not quite got the "wow" of the first Halo: CE, but it's striking, with lots of variety, and doesn't succumb to "repetitive Forerunner structure" syndrome that CE had towards the end (although that never bothered me, TBH).

    But then I've loved the campaigns of all Halos. I was a bit annoyed when Halo 2 took you off Earth so soon, and ended so abruptly, but other than that all Halos are brilliant.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 20 Sep 2010 13:49:07 10,781 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Are 343 a newly created studio?

    I wonder if they'll actually be able to construct a coherent story in a Halo game.
    They've actually managed to accumulate some good developer talent there so far.

    Doubt they'd want to pop anything out there that discredits the Halo universe. I really enjoyed Legends and like what they are continuing to do with Waypoint.

    Then again, VG development is a big jump ahead from various multimedia projects.

    /anxiously waits
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 20 Sep 2010 13:51:46 10,781 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Britesparc wrote:
    I've not finished Reach yet, but ODST's campaign is my favourite out of all the Halos.

    Tha might be because half the cast of Firefly are in it, mind.
    Agreed. The haunting atmosphere of New Mobassa interspersed with some classic Halo-esque levels worked very well in ODST. The change of pace was very welcome.

    Oh, and also agreed on the Firefly connection. Looking forward to unlocking Buck's voice in Firefight :o)
  • CosmicFuzz 20 Sep 2010 13:56:04 21,189 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think Halo 3's campaign was much better than Reach's. Reach is full of "defend this" objectives that really grated on me, and there's barely any setpieces such as the Scarab battle.

    What's your thoughts on Heroes Reborn? Read my TV musings here.

  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 20 Sep 2010 14:55:42 10,781 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Reach definitely uses the Firefight arenas a lot in the campaign and, whilst it may not have the spectacle of 3's Scarab battle, it does have some incredibly well put together levels and the greatest diversity/breadth of any Halo game.

    It also has very little repeating architecture which is very welcome!
  • Britesparc Creative, ITV 20 Sep 2010 15:04:53 1,875 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My favourite bit so far is in Sword Base, where they used one of the levels from the Beta!

    Which may well have actually been called Sword Base, I can't remember.
  • RedSparrows 20 Sep 2010 17:01:54 20,738 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Reach's campaign is better, in my view, than all the others - it's got the variety none of them have.

    That might change upon further reflection.

    No scarab battles is kind of a blessing, really, I think. ODST didn't need it.
  • SomaticSense 20 Sep 2010 18:16:44 7,040 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ignatius_Cheese wrote:
    Reach definitely uses the Firefight arenas a lot in the campaign and, whilst it may not have the spectacle of 3's Scarab battle, it does have some incredibly well put together levels and the greatest diversity/breadth of any Halo game.

    It also has very little repeating architecture which is very welcome!

    I'd say using the same maps as MP and FF in Campaign, and with almost the very same 'survive this siege' mission objectives as you'd get in FF, was way worse than the old problem of repeating architecture (which was only really a problem in Halo: CE, yet funnily enough is still used up as a stick to beat the franchise with).

    The game's barely a week old, and I'm already sick to fucking death of some of the areas.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 20 Sep 2010 18:19:20 10,781 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    See, I made sure I completed the campaign before playing any Firefight or very little MP so it was all fresh to me (bar the boneyard) so it didn't suffer too much.

    Repeating internal architecture really grates, especially in bland places like Forerunner buildings/New Mombassa so was very glad it didn't fall foul of this.
  • morriss 20 Sep 2010 18:23:21 70,748 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Let's keep Reach chat in the Reach thread, innit.
  • SomaticSense 20 Sep 2010 18:29:00 7,040 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ignatius_Cheese wrote:
    See, I made sure I completed the campaign before playing any Firefight or very little MP so it was all fresh to me (bar the boneyard) so it didn't suffer too much.

    Repeating internal architecture really grates, especially in bland places like Forerunner buildings/New Mombassa so was very glad it didn't fall foul of this.

    Same here, I played through the whole of Campaign before I delved into MP, but it was still a real problem.

    My main issue with this, aside from the repetiveness of playing effectively the same missions in Campaign as in Firefight, is that the MP map sections of the Campaign were so clearly shoehorned in with any real sense of playability. It's no coincidence that I enjoyed the bespoke Campaign sections (as well as the Firefight areas) far more than the MP map sections, which I'm guessing was because they weren't really designed to be enjoyable in a single player campaign.

    The absolute biggest example of this was the Sword Base area. Probably because I'd briefly played it in the Beta and so knew it was an MP map, but it just felt wrong and was in no way fun to play as a campaign area. Same with the utterly pointless Countdown area. I just can't understand why Bungie would do this opposed to just having completely bespoke Campaign areas.

    Also, the siege missions got annoying quickly. Put it this way, if Gears 3 integrates Horde mode with the same Horde maps in it's SP as a cynical way of 'training the player'/lazily increasing the playtime-assets used ratio, then it can sod right off.
  • Lutz 20 Sep 2010 18:31:02 48,854 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Let's keep Reach chat in the Reach thread, innit.

    This please peeps.
  • SomaticSense 20 Sep 2010 18:35:53 7,040 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Of course. Because there are plenty of details to discuss concerning Halo 4, aren't there?

    Besides, weren't we talking about why they shouldn't use repetitive environments versus shoehorning in FF and MP maps into Halo 4? Pretty relevant really.
  • morriss 20 Sep 2010 18:37:13 70,748 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just do what we say and stfu. :)
  • SomaticSense 20 Sep 2010 18:39:00 7,040 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ok.

    Shoehorning MP and Firefight maps into SP was really, really shit. And they shouldn't do it for Halo 4 ;)
  • oceanmotion 20 Sep 2010 18:41:48 15,243 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DVD space, should have gone with Blu-Ray :p
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 20 Sep 2010 18:44:48 10,781 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    343 Industries involvements and very few former Bungie staff on-board with them for future Halo titles should hopefully result in them following the trappings of their past.

    Back on track, Frankie O'Connor was quoted back at the Halo Reach console reveal as saying "At the end of Halo 3, and cover your ears if you haven't played it, Master Chief is in cryosleep. Cortana has sent a rescue signal, and they are orbiting a strange world. We'd have to be the world's biggest assholes to not follow through on his story!" :D
  • sanctusmortis 20 Sep 2010 19:46:22 9,590 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    Ok.

    Shoehorning MP and Firefight maps into SP was really, really shit. And they shouldn't do it for Halo 4 ;)
    Disagree completely. Loved that all the places that were in MP are in SP, be they Invasion maps or whatever.

    I stand by my original (base64 encoded) comment on page 1: it's pretty obvious where they go next. I just hope they bring the people in the Dyson sphere in. Or, even better, that ending location IS the Dyson sphere...
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 22 Sep 2010 09:18:55 10,781 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Phil Spencer talks of a "more persistent" Halo presence between game releases on the front page.

    As long as it is done intelligently, like Waypoint and Legends, and doesn't damage/oversaturate the franchise then I'm up for this.

    Oh, and a Forerunner game. Did I mention that before?
  • mcmonkeyplc 22 Sep 2010 09:39:08 38,836 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    Ignatius_Cheese wrote:
    Reach definitely uses the Firefight arenas a lot in the campaign and, whilst it may not have the spectacle of 3's Scarab battle, it does have some incredibly well put together levels and the greatest diversity/breadth of any Halo game.

    It also has very little repeating architecture which is very welcome!

    I'd say using the same maps as MP and FF in Campaign, and with almost the very same 'survive this siege' mission objectives as you'd get in FF, was way worse than the old problem of repeating architecture (which was only really a problem in Halo: CE, yet funnily enough is still used up as a stick to beat the franchise with).

    The game's barely a week old, and I'm already sick to fucking death of some of the areas.

    Well if you insist on playing the game the wrong way it's your own fault.

    You're supposed to play campaign first and then the rest.

    Come and get it cumslingers!

  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 22 Sep 2010 09:44:44 10,781 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Keep it in the Reach thread, mcmonkey!

    In other news, I've decided they should take the Milo technology and make a Halo universe XBLA title interacting with Cortana or some other character. Persistent.

  • neilka 22 Sep 2010 09:47:43 14,935 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I predict that Halo 4 will contain more purple than any previous Halo.
  • CosmicFuzz 22 Sep 2010 09:48:16 21,189 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm looking forward to Halo 4 much more than I was ODST or Reach.

    What's your thoughts on Heroes Reborn? Read my TV musings here.

  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 22 Sep 2010 09:50:05 10,781 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cortana will die at the end of Halo 4. F1rST!!!111
  • RedSparrows 22 Sep 2010 12:22:50 20,738 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:


    My main issue with this, aside from the repetiveness of playing effectively the same missions in Campaign as in Firefight, is that the MP map sections of the Campaign were so clearly shoehorned in with any real sense of playability. It's no coincidence that I enjoyed the bespoke Campaign sections (as well as the Firefight areas) far more than the MP map sections, which I'm guessing was because they weren't really designed to be enjoyable in a single player campaign.

    The absolute biggest example of this was the Sword Base area. Probably because I'd briefly played it in the Beta and so knew it was an MP map, but it just felt wrong and was in no way fun to play as a campaign area. Same with the utterly pointless Countdown area. I just can't understand why Bungie would do this opposed to just having completely bespoke Campaign areas.


    They were not shoe-horned in. Rubbish. 95% of them you skip through merrily - Countdown you don't even have to go through. I found absolutely no difference in playability between the multi-maps and the 'pure' SP sections.

    The only issue with it was the defend section at the end of The Package, on Legendary. That went on too long.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 22 Sep 2010 12:24:17 10,781 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I said no such thing! ;o)

    Edit - Too quick for me!
  • RocketToUranus 28 Sep 2010 02:50:01 5 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I wish a Halo 4 would happen...sooon :)

    Campaign wise nothing has beat Halo Combat Evolved, thought Halo 3's was near enough as good though.

    Was disapointed by Reach's campaign and didn't think ODST's was anything special.

    Halo 2 though, I just got pi$$ed off over and over again when playing as the Arbiter fighting the Flood...painful memories.
  • morriss 28 Sep 2010 07:03:24 70,748 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I just ran through those levels. Hardly engaged them. Invisibility and run. Rinse and repeat.
  • Page

    of 173 First / Last

Log in or register to reply