Halo 4 Page 138

• Page

of 173 First / Last

• kinky_mong 30 Nov 2012 10:10:58 10,272 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RelaxedMikki wrote:
    Holy moly, that peak player chart is frightening.
    Not really if you consider that Black Ops 2 came out the week after which is where that significant drop is. Everything after that is a small decrease week on week in comparison. Plus bear in mind we're in the silly season of game releases where the fickle will be distracted each week by the new shiny game that came out.

Likely that chart will see a big spike on the week of the 10th December when the new maps are released. It's when the chart doesn't keep a steady level after Christmas and keeps declining that 343 need to start worrying.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Kilters 30 Nov 2012 12:01:21 574 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Great game but about to give up on Multiplayer as I don't think I've managed to get a round on a map that isn't Exile or Ragnorak.

Is there a game mode I'm missing where it rotates you through maps like Battlefield 3?
  • oceanmotion 30 Nov 2012 12:27:20 15,926 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Depends what the chart is like for Halo 3 and Reach. The latter from reading posts had 4 times as many players same time after launch. COD or any big release shouldn't make Halo crumble like that if it really is that bad.

You kinda feared the worse with Reach under 343 once they started, they even fucked that up. It looks like it continues into Halo 4. I can understand them wanting to expand the audience but you should never ever follow COD, there can be only one. The community can be annoyingly vocal and vicious but 343 can be nothing more than PR that is planned and doesn't listen. There is no reaction, oh they want some maps 4v4 but we already made 9 maps for DLC, tough luck. They bought season pass anyway, hahaha. Did you hear about MLG, look at this Halo tat you can buy, want some Doritos. No soul.

What's worse is they have melted together two different beasts and it breaks Halo, vehicles, why bother with the power weapons so readily available and the maps do them no favours, might as well call it predictable death imminent course. Jetpacks ever since Reach, still ruin it. They copied COD scoring ffs, so utterly pointless. 343 might as well go full steam ahead in one direction or don't bother. If 343 get back to innovating new features and not removing them while taking the lead, Halo might live to fight another day as a unique sandbox but I feel it might be coming to end and we're only one game into the new trilogy.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 343 implode under heavy handed committee development with no regards for the community or fake as it seems to me. You can have all the talent and funds in the world but doesn't make a great game. Halo 4 has proved this. First shot at Halo for them, Anniversary and Certain Affinity, that and maps packs but they clearly don't get it right now, perhaps need to evolve their own take on Halo and that might not be seen for a while.

That was over the top but I feel that way right now.
  • muttler 30 Nov 2012 12:36:06 4,026 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Do we know what how these population charts normally look like? Isnt most sales for a game in the first two weeks anyway, then alot of people will trade for the next game?

It still shows thousands playing, isnt this pretty good for any game that isnt CoD or Battlefield? Including Reach, and Gears 3?

Does anyone have the population charts for the first month of online for Halo 3 and Reach?
  • RedSparrows 30 Nov 2012 12:40:11 22,603 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It is a great game, however: take away personal ordnance and actually manage it a little better and bingo, you have a new Halo MP game, one that is like Halo but also has new things. Play non-Infinity and you see it: I enjoy KoTH and CTF and Oddball as much as ever: even when there are niggles - which there have been in 2, 3, Reach (especially the latter).

The talk of 'soul' and stuff is ott, as you suggest: conflating advertising and gameplay and suggesting it doesn't, at core, feel like Halo isn't right, in my view. You still grenade, you still melee, you still shoot: they just need to get some of the gubbins out/changed around.
  • L_Franko Moderator 30 Nov 2012 13:14:13 9,694 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This is for sure a Halo game and feels the way a Halo game should feel, it just needs one or two changes to make it a brilliant Halo game. I love the mp but getting some classic slayer in there would improve my feelings towards it even more.
  • ronuds 30 Nov 2012 15:22:31 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kilters wrote:
    Great game but about to give up on Multiplayer as I don't think I've managed to get a round on a map that isn't Exile or Ragnorak.

Is there a game mode I'm missing where it rotates you through maps like Battlefield 3?
    They went with voting again? Holy crap!

Who the hell ever thought voting was a good idea?
  • Vortex808 30 Nov 2012 15:34:30 7,138 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ronuds wrote:

Who the hell ever thought voting was a good idea?
    Not me. Just played a game on exile? Hey, everyone votes for exile again. Or maybe for Ragnarok if it's there.

I sometimes get to play another few maps, but they really need to be in rotation. I probably know 4 maps really well and barely know my way round a few others at all.

At least in BTB with a bunch of EG folks, you can try to alter the maps a bit!
  • L_Franko Moderator 30 Nov 2012 15:37:41 9,694 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Voting is another thing that needs to be changed. Don't give the masses an option, they are stupid and fear change.
  • ronuds 30 Nov 2012 15:43:09 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It was terrible and didn't work 3 games ago, ffs!

Halo 2's the only one that got it right.
  • oceanmotion 30 Nov 2012 16:52:07 15,926 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is matchmaking not available for anything other than the most recent Spartan Ops episode?

The horrendous UI doesn't help.
  • Deleted user 30 November 2012 16:57:43
    RedSparrows wrote:
    It is a great game, however: take away personal ordnance and actually manage it a little better and bingo, you have a new Halo MP game, one that is like Halo but also has new things. Play non-Infinity and you see it: I enjoy KoTH and CTF and Oddball as much as ever: even when there are niggles - which there have been in 2, 3, Reach (especially the latter).

The talk of 'soul' and stuff is ott, as you suggest: conflating advertising and gameplay and suggesting it doesn't, at core, feel like Halo isn't right, in my view. You still grenade, you still melee, you still shoot: they just need to get some of the gubbins out/changed around.
    Ordinance drops are good, keeps things interesting. The only real issues I have come across is players in KOTH and oddball only playing it to increase their kill death score.
    That is something the game designers can do little about. I just avoid them on live, if that even works.
  • oceanmotion 30 Nov 2012 17:09:25 15,926 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They could easily fix that, don't count kills or deaths in objective games. Have nice bonuses for objective related actions, that's it.
  • jambii267 30 Nov 2012 17:49:15 1,366 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I can play Multiplayer and Spartan Ops after six days!

/Plays Haven four time in a row
    /Kill self

NNID: Jambii267 PSN: Dr-Jambii 3DS: 0216-0806-8561

• matrim83 30 Nov 2012 18:35:53 5,587 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    They copied COD scoring ffs, so utterly pointless.
    Whats ironic is that CoD BO2 is now using the Halo scoring style of just counting kills instead of that points bullshit. Not to mention they are more accommodating now of the competitive community.

So who knows, if they keep ripping stuff from COD, Halo 5 might well be more like Halo. :D

It does feel like everything that is good about the game are the foundations that were laid down by Bungie and everything that is problematic is what 343 brought in.

Edited by matrim83 at 18:37:13 30-11-2012

Valar morghulis.

• Deleted user 30 November 2012 19:04:29
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/halo-4-xbox-360-24-99-zavvi-1385213?page=3#comments

24.99 over at zavvi
  • oceanmotion 30 Nov 2012 20:35:52 15,926 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Quick price drop, glad I only paid 30.

@matrim83

Ha, typical. That's what they get for following.
  • RedSparrows 30 Nov 2012 22:15:16 22,603 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    343 do seem to have been concerned about 'widening' appeal. No idea why they felt apeing CoD was the way to do that...;)

Halo is still there: I think we are being a tad dramatic in eliding the two etc. Just a few easy tweaks: I enjoy objective on this, slayer not as much.
  • sanctusmortis 30 Nov 2012 23:05:53 9,631 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Everyone who hates Exile/Ragnarok:

Play Regicide.

Not only is it the best damn mode in the game, but it uses all the small maps: Abandon, Complex, Adrift, Solace, and Haven. Each needs a different set of tools, and it actually takes some skill rather than a single loadout that covers it all.

Oh, and did I mention, I've played a load of Regicide and it's chuffing brilliant. Assassinations galore!
  • irrelevanthuman 30 Nov 2012 23:12:29 368 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just played a few games of Reach to cleanse the old palate. Despite its flaws, really enjoyed it and it felt like coming home after 4.

Of course designers are going to be influenced by other games, and if it improves the game play and entertainment values therein so much the better.

So far, that doesn't seem to be the case here and I think 343 have simply failed in balancing the game. But as you say RedSparrows, a few tweaks might well sort it. Hope so.
  • RedSparrows 30 Nov 2012 23:58:39 22,603 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Reach is further, at core, from old Halo than 4, imo.
  • Deleted user 30 November 2012 23:59:51
    Wow 4 player split screen objectives games are amazing. Just had two three hours on it. The most multiplayer fun I have had on halo in years. First time I have done any split screen since halo 3 and forgot how it is infinitely better than online with headset.
  • matrim83 1 Dec 2012 06:37:48 5,587 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thing is, for all its flaws, I do genuinely like 4. More than I like Reach.

The problem is that its soooo easy to see how much better this game could have been if they had made some smarter choices instead of trying to blindly copy CoD. In its core it still has what it takes to make possibly the best Halo game since 2. But there just a lot of little niggles dragging it down.

Someone on Reddit said it quite nicely. Reach felt like polishing a turd and Halo 4 feels like cleaning shit off a diamond.

Also fuck Infinity BTB. Bring back regular BTB with objective modes.

Valar morghulis.

• Deckard1 1 Dec 2012 09:49:59 27,981 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Anyone know the rough trade in price on this at the minute?
  • Deleted user 1 December 2012 10:10:33
    How is it more like call of duty? Yes it has perks but except for maybe health regeneration it doesn't make a huge difference. The gameplay and flow of the matches is still 100% halo and compared to the dire halo reach multiplayer halo4 is a beautiful thing.
    It is easier to be critical then give praise.
  • Deleted user 1 December 2012 10:40:31
    Double splatter kill! lolz
  • Deleted user 1 December 2012 12:42:44
    Really wish I knew what the hell was going on in the story as the cutscenes and voice acting are great.
  • Deleted user 1 December 2012 14:14:57
    God damn it, I hate it when you get loads of assists. 11 assists last game. Would have doubled my kill tally. Oh well. Oddly years ago when points for assists and other team orientated tasks came into games I was all for it. Feels like a bit of a rub sometimes though. My kill!
  • Deleted user 1 December 2012 14:29:56
    OVERKILL!!! Four bullets in sniper rifle, four headshots in four seconds. This game is fantastic.
  • Deleted user 1 December 2012 15:14:57
    People, it's ORDNANCE. ORDINANCE is something completely different.
  • Page

of 173 First / Last