Halo 4 Page 134

  • Page

    of 173 First / Last

  • RedSparrows 26 Nov 2012 16:54:36 22,212 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You can't miss the memo in Spops because THERE ISN'T ONE.

    [caps for effect, not for anger.]

    Edited by RedSparrows at 16:57:32 26-11-2012
  • SomaticSense 26 Nov 2012 16:54:45 8,115 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    SomaticSense wrote:
    It was poorly written and relied far too much on the expanded fiction to explain what the hell was going on and how certain characters miraculously knew certain things.
    Halo 3 was just as - if not more - guilty of this. It simply assumed the player knew everything there was to know about the backstory. When I first played it I felt completely lost as I never got round to playing 2 beforehand. It was a constant "why the fuck do I have an Elite friend? Who the fuck is this giant little shop of horrors reject? Who is this prophet bloke" clusterfuck, containing some of the worst SP level design I have ever come across in an FPS that decided Library wasn't bad enough so we should all have to endure Cortana to make up for it.

    /old feelings of resentment
    There's a differnce between needing to have played the previous game, and needing to have read the myriad expanded universe novels released over the last few years.

    I've played all the games numeous times each and most of the non-Forerunner books, and yet all too often I felt an important detail wasn't elaborated enough on or even touched on at all ("Btw Chief. You know how you were the only Spartan not MIA and how bad you felt about that? Yeah well there are shit tons now!").

    It felt like a huge number of cutscenes or in-game dialogue sequences were just cut out entirely.
  • nickthegun 26 Nov 2012 16:55:33 59,315 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They don't need to. No other medium does it really. By halo3 the other two were playable on the 360, so there are methods to catch up unlike, for example me2 on the ps3.

    There are criticisms to be made of halo 3 but that isn't really a great one.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • RedSparrows 26 Nov 2012 16:56:01 22,212 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you were confused by 3 without playing 2 then I'm not really sure what Bungie should have done for you.

    4, however, relies on you knowing lots about the universe, and could, so easily, have done a quick primer at some point.
  • SomaticSense 26 Nov 2012 17:00:52 8,115 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    You can't miss the memo in Spops because THERE ISN'T ONE.
    There's a better feeling of purpose for a start, and the opening cutscenes aren't full of unexplained bs either.

    SPops might not have much of a story, but I'd take that over what was served up in the campaign.

    Besides which, SPops is a more narrative-focused replacement for FF, not another full on campaign mode.
  • morriss 26 Nov 2012 17:02:22 70,913 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Knowing pretty much next to nothing about the fiction, I thought this was the best story of the lot. It's easy to filter out the jargon and still get the just of it. Anyway, I like the way they've told the Chief Cortana love story to outweigh the expanded fiction. More inclusive that way.
  • Dave_McCoy 26 Nov 2012 17:04:18 2,772 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm not really having a problem with MP. I don't mind the drops and the random spawning. In the groups I've been in, including the EG one the other night, we still win most games. Map rotation leaves something to be desired but other than that, best MP since H2.

    Might be because I do alright at the moment though. :)
  • SomaticSense 26 Nov 2012 17:06:55 8,115 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @morris

    Ok.

    So why did everyone seem to know so much about the Didact, including his name after just one fleeting meeting. Surely that couldn't have sat right.
  • Deleted user 26 November 2012 17:09:49
    darkmorgado wrote:
    SomaticSense wrote:
    It was poorly written and relied far too much on the expanded fiction to explain what the hell was going on and how certain characters miraculously knew certain things.
    Halo 3 was just as - if not more - guilty of this. It simply assumed the player knew everything there was to know about the backstory. When I first played it I felt completely lost as I never got round to playing 2 beforehand. It was a constant "why the fuck do I have an Elite friend? Who the fuck is this giant little shop of horrors reject? Who is this prophet bloke" clusterfuck, containing some of the worst SP level design I have ever come across in an FPS that decided Library wasn't bad enough so we should all have to endure Cortana to make up for it.

    /old feelings of resentment
    Yes the plot was pretty incoherent but the fact that you hadn't played the previous installment and weren't privy to events going into Halo 3 isn't the games fault.

    You're right about the Cortana level though, that was hideous.
  • nickthegun 26 Nov 2012 17:12:50 59,315 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    4, however, relies on you knowing lots about the universe, and could, so easily, have done a quick primer at some point.
    Which they did but, like the idiocy of the terminals, its easy to miss. Theres a terminal at the start that recaps the entire previous trilogy.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • spamdangled 26 Nov 2012 17:22:09 27,276 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    They don't need to. No other medium does it really. By halo3 the other two were playable on the 360, so there are methods to catch up unlike, for example me2 on the ps3.

    There are criticisms to be made of halo 3 but that isn't really a great one.
    Didn't ME2 on PS3 come with an e-comic on the main menu to allow people to get up to speed on the story and make decisions at the same key points?

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • oceanmotion 26 Nov 2012 17:22:50 15,765 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you describe the flood thing as little shop of horrors reject then you have played Halo 2 before 3 as it doesn't appear as anything but tentacles in Halo 3.

    That aside, Halo has been incoherent since they tried to expand the Story and made English the common language in Halo 2.
  • nickthegun 26 Nov 2012 17:26:49 59,315 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    They don't need to. No other medium does it really. By halo3 the other two were playable on the 360, so there are methods to catch up unlike, for example me2 on the ps3.

    There are criticisms to be made of halo 3 but that isn't really a great one.
    Didn't ME2 on PS3 come with an e-comic on the main menu to allow people to get up to speed on the story and make decisions at the same key points?
    Yeah, thats kind of the point. There were no methods to catch up if you only had a PS3, so they gave you a recap.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • spamdangled 26 Nov 2012 17:29:32 27,276 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    If you describe the flood thing as little shop of horrors reject then you have played Halo 2 before 3 as it doesn't appear as anything but tentacles in Halo 3.

    That aside, Halo has been incoherent since they tried to expand the Story and made English the common language in Halo 2.
    I played Halo 2 subsequent to 3 (I got it on PC - which surprisingly still has pretty decent contingent of online players).

    Anyway: Little Shop of Horrors reject

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • jambii267 26 Nov 2012 17:29:41 1,366 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't really see the problem, Can't expect to play only the final game of a trilogy and understand what is going on.

    NNID: Jambii267 PSN: Dr-Jambii 3DS: 0216-0806-8561

  • spamdangled 26 Nov 2012 17:33:05 27,276 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    darkmorgado wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    They don't need to. No other medium does it really. By halo3 the other two were playable on the 360, so there are methods to catch up unlike, for example me2 on the ps3.

    There are criticisms to be made of halo 3 but that isn't really a great one.
    Didn't ME2 on PS3 come with an e-comic on the main menu to allow people to get up to speed on the story and make decisions at the same key points?
    Yeah, thats kind of the point. There were no methods to catch up if you only had a PS3, so they gave you a recap.
    But that's sort of my point? Because Xbox was last to market last gen and 360 was first to market this gen, loads of people came to 360 from PS2 having never owned the original Xbox.

    And original Xbox software was pretty thin on the ground in terms of availability as soon as the 360 launched; just how quickly support was dropped for Xbox was and remains a valid criticism about that launch.

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • coolbritannia 26 Nov 2012 17:38:06 1,248 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    In your opinion. I'm GLAD they focused completely on the 360, I never went back to xbox 1 (Halo 1 and 2 being bc)

    PSN Adamosaurus-Rex
    XBL: coolbritannia

  • spamdangled 26 Nov 2012 17:41:48 27,276 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    coolbritannia wrote:
    In your opinion.
    Actually that aspect never bothered me really (I was gaming far more on PC than on console by the end of the last gen), but there was a fair bit of upset and coverage about it at the time.

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • morriss 26 Nov 2012 17:42:40 70,913 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    @morris

    Ok.

    So why did everyone seem to know so much about the Didact, including his name after just one fleeting meeting. Surely that couldn't have sat right.
    Didn't care or notice, tbh.
  • oceanmotion 26 Nov 2012 17:52:50 15,765 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    SomaticSense wrote:
    @morris

    Ok.

    So why did everyone seem to know so much about the Didact, including his name after just one fleeting meeting. Surely that couldn't have sat right.
    Didn't care or notice, tbh.
    I just kinda laughed when I saw his face. Same for the other funny looking person. Initial interest then shake of the head. Years for that amazing plot, good work.
  • Dave_McCoy 26 Nov 2012 17:53:27 2,772 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ack! Just finished this weeks Legendary solo challenge and it seems the server is down. No credit for it and no challenges available. Never mind, it was still fun though.
  • Deleted user 26 November 2012 18:07:14
    sweet, your right. there will be 50 free missions!! love it, only had 20 so far and love them. Well wont be trading this then for another six weeks then.
  • Pumpatron 26 Nov 2012 18:28:56 374 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So are there any new environments in Spartan Ops this week, or is it the same areas again?
  • spamdangled 26 Nov 2012 18:32:44 27,276 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    @morris

    Ok.

    So why did everyone seem to know so much about the Didact, including his name after just one fleeting meeting. Surely that couldn't have sat right.
    Apparently it was all covered in the Halo: Cyptum novel.

    I'm fine with expanded universe fiction and using comics, books etc, but when understanding the plot of a game actually relies on you investing in that expanded universe fiction then there's something wrong.

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • sanctusmortis 26 Nov 2012 18:33:49 9,627 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @oceanmotion That's what the Forerunners look like; they are, after all, alien. Big, furry aliens. I still hope we get to see a Precursor in this trilogy...

    Edited by sanctusmortis at 18:34:53 26-11-2012
  • spamdangled 26 Nov 2012 18:34:02 27,276 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    revan8 wrote:
    sweet, your right. there will be 50 free missions!! love it, only had 20 so far and love them. Well wont be trading this then for another six weeks then.
    Good to know :-)

    I didn't think they would charge for them if the War Games pass only gave free access to competitive maps.

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • spamdangled 26 Nov 2012 18:37:13 27,276 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    sanctusmortis wrote:
    @oceanmotion That's what the Forerunners look like; they are, after all, alien. Big, furry aliens. I still hope we get to see a Progenitor in this trilogy...
    Personally I think the fiction should only really go back as far as the Forerunners. Do we really need to deal with or know details about a pre-pre-humanity civilisation?

    And I may be wrong, but isn't the Progenitor stuff where the ties to Marathon are most pronounced? With Bungie now off on their own thing that would cause issues for 343.

    3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

  • Deleted user 26 November 2012 19:08:46
    Pumpatron wrote:
    So are there any new environments in Spartan Ops this week, or is it the same areas again?
    Same areas with slight variants, still superb though.
  • Dave_McCoy 26 Nov 2012 19:14:29 2,772 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It would be lovely to try some Spartan Ops but the Halo 4 server is down. Come on 343, let's have it back up....
  • oceanmotion 26 Nov 2012 19:57:07 15,765 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    sanctusmortis wrote:
    @oceanmotion That's what the Forerunners look like; they are, after all, alien. Big, furry aliens. I still hope we get to see a Precursor in this trilogy...
    Looks like a Vampire Sloth and that other one is a robot maid or some cross of the Nutcracker.

    Wait and see how the story unfolds but another oh the humans were around before plot doesn't excite me.

    Edited by oceanmotion at 19:58:03 26-11-2012
  • Page

    of 173 First / Last

Log in or register to reply