Halo 4 Page 94

• Page

of 173 First / Last

• Deleted user 7 November 2012 13:09:24
    Bleh. Finally have my day late copy from Amazon. Installing... :D
  • sanctusmortis 7 Nov 2012 13:24:16 9,631 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Finished, Heroic. 7 hours 55. Basic impressions below in a spoiler.

Good:

Promethean weapons. Lightrifle is a good mix of DMR/BR, Scattershot has a better range than standard shotty and bounces, Boltshot is a great little addition which I look forwards to using in MP, the Suppressor is as accurate as you can control it to be, and the Annihilation Cannon is way powerful, if you can hit with it.
    The Mantis. It's just awesome.
    The last 2 missions. Good combat flow, better checkpointing, moves at a good pace.
    It feels like Halo. Which is a very good thing.

Bad:

Checkpointing. It's awful. There are several sections where dying will set you back 5 minutes, again and again. It's a good idea to save, quit and reload after achieving something in a section you don't want to lose, just to be safe.
    Difficulty. Heroic is far harder than it used to be, simply because you can take a lot less damage. No more clever jumps to cover for a fast shield charge either, as it's slow as hell.
    The mid-game levels drag awfully. Pretty much from Forerunner to Shutdown just feels... far too long. It's a constant barrage of firefights, marred by the awful checkpoints. Still, the Mammoth mission is great fun for that section at least.
    The controls have been jumbled up, and there's no manual to check them in. Not too bad on foot, but a lot of controls aren't explained in the pause menu, like for instance Banshee dodge rolls.

Anyone done Legendary yet? That extra few seconds...
  • SlackMaster 7 Nov 2012 13:28:39 3,134 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone found that they cannot install the second disk? It just doesn't give you the option after installing the first one.

Also if you don't launch and update waypoint before launching it from the Halo 4 menu the game just hangs with a black screen.

I don't know if it was just the large amount of traffic on XBL last night but I kept getting disconnected from live and had to keep reconnecting. I know it wasn't my ip or router... anyone else get this?
  • Deleted user 7 November 2012 13:29:43
    Just play from the second disc and it will prompt you to install it.
  • SlackMaster 7 Nov 2012 13:36:56 3,134 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @oi Ok, thanks. Will wait till I get to the second disk in that case.
  • RedSparrows 7 Nov 2012 13:37:04 22,886 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rich72 wrote:
    it's the palette I think which doesn't help the detail in some cases... it's all very muted now which does add to the sense of realism but loses a little 'halo' for me. I do actually like the slight greying down of the colours but some of it I thought was dialled back a little too far.

WTF was that ghost escape bit for? bloody awful 2 minutes
    What? It's a riot of colour, barring mission 3 - especially when compared to Reach.

Same old Halo - wildly divergent, contradictory opinions.

But yes, that bit is crap.
  • RedSparrows 7 Nov 2012 13:37:44 22,886 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SlackMaster wrote:
    You don't get to it.

Put it in on the dash, and then 'play' it like a normal game. It'll run an install.exe type thing.
  • Deleted user 7 November 2012 13:39:04
    SlackMaster wrote:
    I think the second disc installs the multiplayer.
  • Petulant_Radish 7 Nov 2012 13:39:12 613 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I want to be at home playing this.
  • RedSparrows 7 Nov 2012 13:40:27 22,886 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    sanctusmortis wrote:

Checkpointing. It's awful. There are several sections where dying will set you back 5 minutes, again and again. It's a good idea to save, quit and reload after achieving something in a section you don't want to lose, just to be safe.
    Difficulty. Heroic is far harder than it used to be, simply because you can take a lot less damage. No more clever jumps to cover for a fast shield charge either, as it's slow as hell.

Shield is slow, agreed, but the rest I didn't notice (plus you can still jump for cover...). I honestly didn't find Heroic that hard, nor the checkpoints that bad - other than one just before you go up into that Lich on Mission 5. I'm beginning to think I must have played it on the wrong setting.
  • Rich72 7 Nov 2012 13:40:41 533 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    yup, was on and off most of the evening

GT: Rich 72 PSN: LordVelvet

• L_Franko Moderator 7 Nov 2012 13:45:35 9,694 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I want this game. I want it now.
    Who would like the chance to buy it for me?
  • SlackMaster 7 Nov 2012 13:45:52 3,134 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @RedSparrows No, just assumed that the campaign was spead over two disks. Didn't realise it was a similar setup to ODST... The disk don't say Campaign and Multiplayer, just disk 1 and 2. Seriously man, where are your people skills!?!

Edited by SlackMaster at 13:47:10 07-11-2012
  • Deleted user 7 November 2012 13:48:37
    Re: bumper jumper. Have had to stick with default controls this time around because I need to be able to use right thumb stick with sprint. It's fine, but hate the d-pad grenades. Hopefully adjust to quick switching in time though.

Not getting the less inaccurate reticule complaints. Had no problems at all with aiming and was in fact on fire last night.
  • RedSparrows 7 Nov 2012 13:49:12 22,886 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wha? I said 'you don't get to it', not 'you don't get it' - which I assume is what the issue is...?

It's not like ODST in the sense you only need Disc 1 to play everything from - Disc 2 is install and forget.

A manual would have helped clarify this, obviously. Cheapskates.
  • Deleted user 7 November 2012 13:50:04
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Rich72 wrote:
    it's the palette I think which doesn't help the detail in some cases... it's all very muted now which does add to the sense of realism but loses a little 'halo' for me. I do actually like the slight greying down of the colours but some of it I thought was dialled back a little too far.

WTF was that ghost escape bit for? bloody awful 2 minutes
    What? It's a riot of colour, barring mission 3 - especially when compared to Reach.

Same old Halo - wildly divergent, contradictory opinions.

But yes, that bit is crap.
    What bit is crap? Not the brilliant night time level, surely?
  • Deleted user 7 November 2012 13:51:32
    sigh

It's not inaccurate but it is not as precise as Reach. That doesn't necessarily mean it's bad.
  • SlackMaster 7 Nov 2012 13:54:21 3,134 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @RedSparrows Ok, no probs... skim reading your comments at the time. But I'm sure with ODST you just used the second disk for MP and first for the campaign, been a while though since I've played it.
  • Deleted user 7 November 2012 13:55:43
    No need to sigh, I was just saying I honestly don't have an issue with the aiming in H4 at all. If anything, I prefer it over Reach's, but maybe I'm biased because I was the destroyer of dreams last night.
  • RedSparrows 7 Nov 2012 13:56:28 22,886 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ODST was like that, yup. Disc 2 here is more a 'fire-and-forget' install for the MP side of things.

By the sounds if though, were you playing MP without it? Didn't know if that was possible...
  • Rich72 7 Nov 2012 14:02:34 533 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What? It's a riot of colour
    the purples and pinks have been toned down quite a bit. The outdoor levels are bright and lovely but it has a restricted palette compared to previous games and contrast seems lower to me. Artistically, I like it... the Elites armour and guns just don't seem to 'pop' like before... maybe its just me. The promethean levels are very bright, granted.

• TOOTR 7 Nov 2012 14:05:56 9,589 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    After only about 2 hrs last night - split fairly equally between campaign and MP I am pronouncing this game... Seshworthy.

Going to be rinsing this all weekend :)

Everybody should just calm down a little bit and have a nice cup of tea.

• Rich72 7 Nov 2012 14:07:36 533 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i need to sleep rather than argue about non important issues... I think it looks great in general.

• Rich72 7 Nov 2012 14:07:53 533 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted

• Rich72 7 Nov 2012 14:09:33 533 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fantomex... did you get the LE? did it fit through the letterbox?

that will be the final insult if I have the dreaded red card.

• andywilkie35 7 Nov 2012 14:10:53 5,338 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Haven't touched campaign yet but close to 30 games online and must say that - as usual - I am loving online Halo. Only online multiplayer game I enjoy.

Are 343 doing a "bungie.net" type thing?

PSN ID & Xbox Gamertag: Wedjwants

• nickthegun 7 Nov 2012 14:13:36 60,136 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ok, played this for a few hours last night and bearing in mind ive played all the rest of them on at least heroic:

1)Whats going on with elites? The carbine can one shot grunts and jackals but it takes a full clip to off them.

2)There seems to be a lot of one hit kill/shield strippers

3)Did elites always throw so many grenades? They are just mental with them at the moment which, to be honest, is making things easier

4)Was the FOV always this small or does the massive helmet overlay just make it feel that way?

5)It feels a bit empty without human cannon fodder. Getting into a warthog with no one to crash into the side of a building is just sad.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Rich72 7 Nov 2012 14:33:18 533 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    5)It feels a bit empty without human cannon fodder. Getting into a warthog with no one to crash into the side of a building is just sad.
    there's a fair bit of fodder later on

• Deleted user 7 November 2012 14:51:39
    Is there anyway you can do a local search for MP games?
    Can't seem to find the option for it, seem to be getting paired with Americans/Canadians and the lag is laughable at times.
  • Duffking 7 Nov 2012 15:02:10 7,269 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    1)Whats going on with elites? The carbine can one shot grunts and jackals but it takes a full clip to off them.
    Wasn't that always the case? Headshots kill them all in one shot but elites have shields to get rid of first.
  • Page

of 173 First / Last