Halo 4 Page 54

• Page

of 173 First / Last

• Deleted user 5 October 2012 10:39:22
    If you have a counter snipe on Boardwalk then the visitor centre snipe doesn't tend to dominate too hard.

As with most good Halo maps, it's all about map control. Give up all the weapon spawns and you will get raped in the nostrils.

Never is this more evident than in the Spire which to this day I have no idea of all the spawns. Many a game I've played where my team are the fish in a really shitty barrel.
  • Deleted user 5 October 2012 11:00:00
    That's highlights the design flaws of Boardwalk perfectly: the counter to sniper is sniper.

It's exactly the same thing when faced with an entire team of AL players - the only counter, more often than not, becomes AL.

Bad design.
  • sanctusmortis 5 Oct 2012 11:03:26 9,807 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Boardwalk, The Cage, Countdown - all designed for a different style of play than many are used to. Very very good for game modes like King of the Hill, Infection, Oddball and DMR Slayer. They're designed to have choke points but encourage movement to avoid being caught out, and are very open plan.

Believe it or not, maps are designed to not just be good for Slayer.
  • Fat_Pigeon 5 Oct 2012 11:04:44 9,852 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    the counter to sniper is not being bad, there are at least 4 different routes you can take to the top or bottom of the map completely out of sight from the sniper. but everybody always seems to come up the middle. or along the elevated walkway.

not that I mind I'm not half bad with a sniper :D

Edited by Fat_Pigeon at 11:06:10 05-10-2012
  • Deleted user 5 October 2012 11:12:02
    sanctusmortis wrote:
    Believe it or not, maps are designed to not just be good for Slayer.
    This is the problem, the selfish bastards.
  • ResidentKnievel 5 Oct 2012 11:30:54 6,300 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I agree with Captain Quint, snipers have far too much protection on Boardwalk.

I don't enjoy playing on it with symmetrical game types but with asymmetrical game types it becomes an amazingly fun map.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• sanctusmortis 5 Oct 2012 12:57:21 9,807 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't know, I've played Snipers Pro matches on that map, and there's no truly safe position to fire from. Plenty to fire from and then retreat, but that's true of every map.
  • RedSparrows 5 Oct 2012 13:14:02 24,317 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    CaptainQuint wrote:
    That's highlights the design flaws of Boardwalk perfectly: the counter to sniper is sniper.

It's exactly the same thing when faced with an entire team of AL players - the only counter, more often than not, becomes AL.

Bad design.
    The counter to sniper on Boardwalk is to not walk about the middle of the map. There are enough corridors, elevation shifts, layers and power weapons to make the sniper only truly effective if everyone's dicking about on the slope, or in the hands of a master - which is true for any map.
  • Mr-Brett 5 Oct 2012 13:28:07 12,897 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I haven't seen a link so here's one: Forward Unto Dawn Part 1.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Fat_Pigeon 5 Oct 2012 13:35:46 9,852 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    I haven't seen a link so here's one: Forward Unto Dawn Part 1.
    thought it would be shit but somewhat surprised, not bad for a free web series.
  • Deleted user 5 October 2012 14:11:52
    yeah I thought it was pretty good. Excellent visuals. Still cant stand the cast but this shows promise.
  • Deleted user 5 October 2012 14:17:51
    Would rather longer and fewer episodes though, twenty mins too short. 3 forty min ones would be much better (extended version)
  • ResidentKnievel 5 Oct 2012 14:44:28 6,300 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The 'it's the same for any map' argument, when talking about weapon/vehicle balance, is a load of nonsense.

And I like that in Halo that when a certain weapon or vehicle is noticeably overpowered/underpowered in a certain map/gametype combination that it can be tweaked to become something more balanced.

It's one of the reasons I'm worried about Halo 4, with load-outs and weapon drops there's less room to tweak things.

• RedSparrows 5 Oct 2012 14:50:33 24,317 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's not nonsense if someone is unbelievably good with the sniper - I've seen people dominate on every single map with it.

For the mortals, however, you have more of a point - but I wasn't contesting that with that particular comment.

Halo 4 will be tweaked, surely - there are still on-map power weapons (I wonder if there are still basic weapons on map also? I.e. spikers lying around. Lolspikers), and weapon drops are only in Infinity Slayer.
  • Deleted user 5 October 2012 14:57:57
    I think my point has been missed slightly. Simply put - closing down and killing a sniper on boardwalk was a fucking hassle, a pain in the arse distraction.

On The Pit, or Lockout, it wasn't.

If a massive out-of-your-way trek is necessary just to remove one person from their perch then it's a map that shouldn't be in Slayer.

Edited by CaptainQuint at 14:58:52 05-10-2012
  • ResidentKnievel 5 Oct 2012 15:04:15 6,300 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ah right, anyway, have people seen the IGN multiplayer walkthroughs?

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2012/10/02/halo-4-abandon-multiplayer-map-walkthrough-with-343i

• RedSparrows 5 Oct 2012 15:42:54 24,317 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Am gurning like a loon over Ragnarok right now.

Noticed that radar shows stationery vehicles, man cannons etc.

Edited by RedSparrows at 15:43:14 05-10-2012
  • Deleted user 5 October 2012 15:47:29
    Wonder if the soundtrack is as brilliant as the weapon trailers music -_-. I love my dub step but with halo? No.

Is Spartan ops from the off or is first episode post launch?
  • RedSparrows 5 Oct 2012 15:50:38 24,317 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Looking at sprint, and Banshee boost speeds/length, assuming they are indicative of wider tweaks: Halo 4 is going to be really quite quick.
  • Deleted user 5 October 2012 16:04:58
    Should u be able to Sprint and shoot? Being a Spartan and all.
  • sanctusmortis 5 Oct 2012 16:06:08 9,807 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, they seem to be upping the urgency.
  • RedSparrows 5 Oct 2012 16:34:26 24,317 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't think you can sprint and shoot - a Spartan should be able to of course, but it'd be crazy in MP ;)
  • ResidentKnievel 5 Oct 2012 16:39:24 6,300 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Will Spartans be able to gunzerk?

• sanctusmortis 5 Oct 2012 19:21:13 9,807 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hmm, even in the anime shorts and books sprinting while firing's beyond a Spartan - it's the exertion.
  • DFawkes 5 Oct 2012 19:34:35 24,112 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Isn't the Sprint module for Spartan armour basically disengaging several safety protocols for a short stint? I'm sure I read that somewhere. So it'd make sense that such an override might make aiming harder when the suit is focused on forward movement. Unless I just made that up in a dream or something, which is possible.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• ResidentKnievel 5 Oct 2012 19:38:06 6,300 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I like to think he doesn't sprint and shoot at the same time because there's a high chance he would fall over in a comedic fashion

• ResidentKnievel 5 Oct 2012 19:39:22 6,300 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Although safety protocols are always a good military sci-fi plot device when you need to explain something in a hurry, so it's probably that.

• monkeypuzzle 5 Oct 2012 20:56:35 1,949 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Please someone explain something to me. I have ordered the collectors edition but the only reason was for the free maps packs. But Amazon are now doing a 'seasons pass'for the map packs. If I buy the vanilla version of Halo 4 and then the seasons pass its cheaper.

As I dont want the crappy film with the collectors edition does this seasons pass give all the maps for free or what.

Confused.

Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry.

• RelaxedMikki 5 Oct 2012 21:00:10 941 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I like the sound of Halo 4 being really quick. Just upping the speed and the intensity of the multiplayer one notch from Reach would be great. Just a tiny bit quicker.

(not saying Reach was slow, for a multiplayer game the responsiveness of the combat is awesome...)
  • thenastypasty 5 Oct 2012 21:00:58 5,208 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The LE also give to access to the spartan ops missions, not sure if the season pass includes this.

Edit: The LE also give you access to some of the classes early.

Edited by thenastypasty at 21:03:22 05-10-2012
  • Page

of 173 First / Last