Lets talk about Archos 605 WiFi

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • Lave 20 Sep 2007 15:54:02 300 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I want a shiny new toy, and why not upgrade my old iaudio X5 (battery is starting to fade) to a shiny touch-screen, wifi-enabled, video-playing/recording, data-storaging Archos 605.

Reviews are plenty and the consensus seem to be "great!".

Some questions:

General stuff:
    Anyone have one of these? What do you think of it? Any nasty bugs/defects (like the stuff I hear about inverting blacks on the iTouch)? Do you like it? Not? Is the browser good (I have only tried a browser in this format on my PSP, and that one suck!)

Also: will the browser allow me to use last.fm? I think it is flash enabled... Can I use hotmail? (the PSP one will allow me to use hotmail. isch. if I can wait for ages for the page to load!)

• El_MUERkO 20 Sep 2007 15:57:56 16,970 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    i was looking at them on engadget with much longing but if i get one i may sell my PSP as for the last few months if i've gotten the PSP out at all it's been to watch video clips

much umming and aaahhhing :/
  • El_MUERkO 20 Sep 2007 16:37:17 16,970 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/13/archoss-generation-5-players-are-now-available-worldwide/

now ... 605 looks shiney but which do i want? i'm assuming the 4gig is a flash based one which means longer battery life but 60 gigs means moucho movies :D
  • Lave 23 Sep 2007 11:08:22 300 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think that the 40-60-80 Gb are a bit larger (physical dimensions) as well, compared to the 30 Gb or flash version.

I think Ill go for the 30 Gb HD. How large are flash cards now by the way?
  • uiruki 23 Sep 2007 11:14:57 3,676 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lave wrote:
    I think that the 40-60-80 Gb are a bit larger (physical dimensions) as well, compared to the 30 Gb or flash version.

I think Ill go for the 30 Gb HD. How large are flash cards now by the way?

Biggest I've seen are 8GB, I don't think any of the 16GB ones are available yet.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.
  • Razz 21 Dec 2007 14:45:45 60,997 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I just got one!

\o/

It fucking awesome. So much better than the iPod touch :p

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• pistol 21 Dec 2007 15:07:02 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I have one of the older 30GB Archos AV500's and they're brill. Always take it with me when I fly anywhere.
  • Razz 21 Dec 2007 15:49:23 60,997 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh yeah I've got a really old Archos 300 too. Thick as a brick but still teh awesome. :) The 605 just blows it out of the water though. The touch screen controls are wonderfully implemented, obviously not as good as the Touch though. But overall, imo, the Archos is the better machine. It's plays anything! :D There's nothing I've thrown at it that it oculdn't play and even then I could just download a wigit that enables it! :)) *sniff* :') Gadget of the year. :)

• Carlo 27 Dec 2007 08:33:59 17,987 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    I just got one!

\o/

Razz, did you get the solid state version of the HDD version?

I'm having trouble deciding.

PSN ID: Djini

• Chopsen 27 Dec 2007 08:43:53 15,833 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have a HDD one. Much easier to AutoGK a load of files on to one one HD instead of faffing about with lots of little cards.

What's to think about?
  • Carlo 27 Dec 2007 08:55:01 17,987 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    I have a HDD one. Much easier to AutoGK a load of files on to one one HD instead of faffing about with lots of little cards.

What's to think about?
    It's smaller, cheaper, and has(presumably) better battery life due to no moving parts.

OtOH, the flash version cannot be 'upgraded' to add a HDD later, so I'll be really making a fundamental choice.

Saying all that, I'm mainly geting it to read PDFs on the bus...

• Chopsen 27 Dec 2007 09:02:24 15,833 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ooooh - the PDF reader sucks.

It renders pages far too slowly and makes navigating a pain.

Do not go for it if PDF reading is important.
  • Deleted user 27 December 2007 09:57:57
    Razz wrote:
    I just got one!

\o/

lol

I wish my iPod touch was the size of a brick. :(
  • Carlo 27 Dec 2007 10:05:56 17,987 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    Ooooh - the PDF reader sucks.

It renders pages far too slowly and makes navigating a pain.

Do not go for it if PDF reading is important.
    /cry

• uiruki 27 Dec 2007 10:16:27 3,676 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I picked up one of these yesterday. The screen is excellent. There are a few little idiosyncrasies, as you'd expect from something designed by the French - the headphone port is on the opposite side to the buttons, which seems mental the very instant you try and put it into the supplied case. There's no 'All Tracks' option (that I could find) in the audio section, meaning I had to make a playlist myself in Winamp (the playlist editor on the player itself is a bit too cumbersome). And charging with the supplied USB cable seems to take several lifetimes.

On the other hand, the wonderful LCD makes super-clear work of any videos you throw at it, playing anything Xvid or DivX-related straight out of the box. The drag and drop file management and file transfer speeds through USB are superb. Being able to put all my music onto my music player is a great feeling which I haven't been able to experience for a while. And if it's anything like as reliable as the Archos player I bought way back in 2002 it'll be solid and reliable for as long as necessary, unlike my old ipod mini.

I'm not sure ipod Touch comparisons are particularly relevant, for the simple reason that the 605 has a hard drive, and the ipod has a multi-touch screen. All that seems to happen is that Apple fans become super defensive, and I'm not sure why that is. They're both clearly designed for different people.
  • Chopsen 27 Dec 2007 10:20:54 15,833 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    There's no 'All Tracks' option (that I could find) in the audio section, meaning I had to make a playlist myself in Winamp

There is, but is a little counter-intuitive.

After you press "music" from the main menu, select "songs" and it'll list all your MP3s. Go to the playback settings and select random (and change "folders" to "all"), then start playing.

Agree totally about the headphone socket placement. Those crazy French!
  • uiruki 27 Dec 2007 10:58:31 3,676 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    uiruki wrote:
    There's no 'All Tracks' option (that I could find) in the audio section, meaning I had to make a playlist myself in Winamp

There is, but is a little counter-intuitive.

After you press "music" from the main menu, select "songs" and it'll list all your MP3s. Go to the playback settings and select random (and change "folders" to "all"), then start playing.

Agree totally about the headphone socket placement. Those crazy French!

That's mental. On mine there's no actual 'songs' option so I had to pick just any artist/album and then change the options, then it shuffled everything. Hnng!
  • Deleted user 31 December 2007 12:06:30
    uiruki wrote:

I'm not sure ipod Touch comparisons are particularly relevant, for the simple reason that the 605 has a hard drive, and the ipod has a multi-touch screen. All that seems to happen is that Apple fans become super defensive, and I'm not sure why that is. They're both clearly designed for different people.
    You guys brought it up... ;)

I've seen both - got a touch and seen a friend's 605. I stand by the difference you've neglected to mention - that I can put a touch in my pocket. Literally, comfortably, in my pocket.

To my mind a 605 is an excellent portable music and video player (and the DVD/DivX/XviD compatibility is a big plus, certainly) that you really need a bag for.
  • El_MUERkO 31 Dec 2007 12:21:01 16,970 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    i got the 4gig flash 605wifi for my birthday in november (:D @ daisy) along with a 4gig SD card (it can support 8 and 16 gig cards), once i got my hands on it i added the extra codec pack to resolve some sound issues and the opera browser plugin

with the plugin i've never had a codec issue, the picture is great, the touch screen smart, the browser fast and intuitive, the wifi makes for handy sofa browsing too

not that it's perfect, it gets a little warm after its been running for a while (thou if you have cold hands that's a bonus), the battery meter is a bit hit and miss (thou you could watch 5+ hours of video before it'd go flat) and it takes an age to charge

i went for the flash based one as it's the cheapest, thinest and lighest with a far longer battery life, i'm also not too concerned with storage space as i use it as a video player an not an mp3 player so with 8gigs of space and an hour of good quality video taking up 350megs of space size is not an issue

i personally think it rocks a million kinds of socks
  • kalel 3 Jan 2008 16:50:22 86,798 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have a 704 and can confirm that it eats up xvids and avi like nothing else, even though it doesnít say it does,

In terms of formats it is king, it will take pretty much anything you chuck at it. It can even do VOB.

If anyone hasnít got one yet, I would cautiously advise going for a last gen one if you can. Archos, while excellent, are notoriously bad at a) releasing hardware that badly needs fixing with firmware, and b) being very slow to release said firmware.

The last gen ones have only really recently become fully functional because of this, and Iím hearing that the 5 series ones are buggy at the moment.

That all said I fucking love my Archos to bits. It pisses on my ipod.
  • pistol 3 Jan 2008 17:07:35 13,019 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Oh yeah I've got a really old Archos 300 too. Thick as a brick but still teh awesome. :) The 605 just blows it out of the water though. The touch screen controls are wonderfully implemented, obviously not as good as the Touch though. But overall, imo, the Archos is the better machine. It's plays anything! :D There's nothing I've thrown at it that it oculdn't play and even then I could just download a wigit that enables it! :)) *sniff* :') Gadget of the year. :)

I saw a feature on the gadget show recently where they compared the new Archos to the Ipod Touch. Very close but ipod won due to ease of use/coolness. Both great though.
  • TakeTheVeil 3 Jan 2008 17:08:35 5,058 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ..or.. go mental and get an iAudio Q5

or slightly less mental and get an iAudio A3

Sound iAudios can pump out are unequaled from what else i've heard. And as far as I know they have slightly better video and audio codec compatiblity. Still i'm poor so i'll probably pick up a Archos 604 next myself
  • kalel 3 Jan 2008 17:08:58 86,798 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I got the beast. I went to America recently with the intention of getting a 605 with a 160GB HD on the cheap thanks to the exchange rate.

I couldnít find any 5 series ones at all, in fact they all seemed to only sell the 20GB 604, which was just too small for me in terms of storage.

I finally found an 80GB 704 that was already in a sale, so I just couldnít resist. Itís way bigger physically than I would have wanted, but at the price I couldnít say no.

Iím overjoyed with it now. I got a cheap bootleg large capacity battery for it off ebay and now itís the muts nuts. My recent long haul flight was a joy.

One other tip is avoid the DVR station unless youíre really desperate for one. Itís again notoriously buggy and in some cases literally doesnít work full stop.
  • kalel 3 Jan 2008 17:17:57 86,798 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hope it works out for you. Some people tend to be quite snobby about Archos, but I donít really know why. Their stuff is great in my experience.

One slightly annoying thing is you do have to buy a couple of widgets for them to get them fully functional, but apart from that theyíre mostly ace.
  • DaisyD 3 Jan 2008 18:13:06 11,818 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    (:D @ daisy)

i personally think it rocks a million kinds of socks

\o/
  • AliRay 8 Jan 2008 14:10:28 181 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I just got the 605Wi Fi and I'm well chuffed with it. Does anyone know if it plays Real Media files? or if there's a plug-in that will allow me to do so?

cheers
  • THFourteen 8 Jan 2008 14:11:59 33,099 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    how big is it? does it fit in your jeans?
    compared to a DS say?

also does it scratch easy?
  • Razz 8 Jan 2008 14:28:12 60,997 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yep fits in my jeans pocket. Not too heavy. The screen doesn't scratch easily but I sugguest using the protextive cover it comes with. I'm not sure if it plays real media.

I'm gettign a bit pissed off with my 605 wifi after about a month of having it.

1/ No in built web broswer. You need to buy it for 29.99. WTF? I paid a lot of mola for this gadget and I have to pay more for extras! WTF?! :(

2/ premium codec pack. o_O seriously o_O hat happened to the days when Archos' could play everythign you throw at it. Now you have to pay for extra codecs, i.e. ac3 and Mpeg2 pffft. Again after paying a substantial amount cash for this I expected to get everything in the box.

3/ Files not reconised, it doens;t read Gifs. o_O It's very picky abuot whcih JPEG's it will open. And some divx files with half pixle or whatnot won't play. :/ It's a bit long to have to re-encode shit just to watch it on the go.

4/ Touchscreen is a bit shit. The screen quality is high. but the touch screen isn't that sensitive. I think this might be on purpose, but annoying all the same.

5/ Flash file playback is a welcome addition but it's not scalable, so the larger more detailed movies suffer from slowdown and often crash the player.

6/ No ability to turn off the screen during music playback, you can lock the buttons but the screen will turn back if the buttons or TS get pressed whilst in your pocket, draining battery life.

7/ The inbuilt speaker is shit beyond words. I've heard better speakers on a mobile phone. :/

8/ The PDF reader is chunk of poo from satans arseclump

9/ Not much on the open dev scene for the Archos widgets.

Other than that I flipping love this thing. Much better than the iPod touch to large degree. But still a bit flawed.

• kalel 8 Jan 2008 14:30:24 86,798 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Some of those issues sounds like teething problems Razz. Expect firmware updates to solve a lot of them.
  • Razz 8 Jan 2008 14:49:22 60,997 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah. It's not bad. Tell me though mate, is it normal to have to pay for a web browser on a device such as this? Was it always the case? ;_;

Random musing: One thing I love about this Archos is being able to download divx videoes from stage6 and porting them directly over. :)) I'm currently watching Condor Heroes and Tian Long Ba Bu from the Wuxia channel. Fuckign awesome. :')

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous