The Eurogamer Podcast Page 3

• Page

of 28 First / Last

• Fake_Blood 12 Jan 2010 20:40:44 4,171 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I kinda like the invisible walls system where you actually see game footage while they're talking. The problem with a simple podcast is that you have to already know the game to know what you guys are on about.
  • Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 12 Jan 2010 20:42:13 4,624 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, I have some other plans for video stuff. Probably shouldn't talk about it yet though.

"sounds like a public school ponce"

• Fake_Blood 12 Jan 2010 20:42:59 4,171 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    gotcha ;)
    cool, looking forward to it!
  • Gaiduku 12 Jan 2010 21:28:38 77 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I like the idea of having it in 2 or 3 sections with one involving EG reader questions. Although if this done there needs to be a dedicated space for the questions. So maybe a stickied forum post or even just in the comments section of this weeks podcast. So on the pdcast page just leave a note asking for questions for next week to be posted below.

Or you guys can do all the work and i can stop meddling :p
  • Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 12 Jan 2010 21:36:23 4,624 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    One thing we were thinking about was setting up a voice mail thing with Skype so readers can phone up and leave a message which we could then play on the show.

• Gaiduku 12 Jan 2010 21:45:57 77 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Venatio wrote:
    One thing we were thinking about was setting up a voice mail thing with Skype so readers can phone up and leave a message which we could then play on the show.

That sounds interesting. Makes it more involving than just reading out a question. Looking forward to future shows!
  • TheStylishHobo 12 Jan 2010 21:52:58 3,185 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Do it!
  • Physically_Insane 12 Jan 2010 21:55:15 8,774 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    hmm, don't like that idea. I reckon the video idea would be the best inclusion. It would be cool if they actually played a game they are talking about as they're doing the podcast. Would make more interesting than just gameplay footage that everybody has seen before, especially if it was a game that hasn't been released yet.
  • Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 12 Jan 2010 21:57:53 4,624 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, that's definitely something I want to do. Separate from the podcast though.

• Gaiduku 12 Jan 2010 22:02:27 77 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So something like 1up's game night?
  • Physically_Insane 12 Jan 2010 22:05:53 8,774 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Never visit 1up.
  • Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 12 Jan 2010 22:11:24 4,624 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ecosse_011172 wrote:
    I enjoyed the podcast, it was a bit nervy at first but definitely picked up and Ellie was as funny as ever.

Yeah, I was bricking it.

• pinebear 12 Jan 2010 22:28:41 8,565 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I enjoyed it, and agree largely with Inq about introducing a little structure, and that the crucial chemistry was evident.

There's an interesting potential in having guests on, whether industry folk, pulling in other EG staff on occasion, or a two-way interview notable forumites.

Regarding the code competition, how about making it a sweepstake or prize for one of the EGers who sent in a question?

I did like hearing what you all had been up to, and a behind-the-scenes look into editorial direction.

• pinebear 12 Jan 2010 22:41:31 8,565 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    (Sorry, character limit)

JetSetWilly's idea about making it an end-of-day, week, or pub (lunch?) affair with a few drinks on hand sounded amazing.

Voicemail could be hilarious.

Once you've got a series theme tune, how about forumite cover versions as ending music?

I liked the DA:o and Forza 3 chat, would be interested in hearing about other stuff you've enjoyed discovering in games post-review.

Keep at it, the EGcast is promising.

• Physically_Insane 12 Jan 2010 22:43:57 8,774 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How about introducing forumite of the week.

*cough*me*cough**cough*
  • BillMurray 12 Jan 2010 23:31:35 7,705 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm glad this happened! Haven't had a chance to listen to it yet but i'm looking forward to hearing it grow over time.
  • Vroom 12 Jan 2010 23:43:35 4,644 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Haven't listened yet but excited at the prospect.

If you want to see (well listen to actually) what makes podcast gold then listen to a 1up yours from Shane/Garnet/Luke times when the beer and whiskey was flowing.

With a podcast it's all to easy to over-think/over-engineer it and lose the spontaneity of good conversation. Within a consistent structure or framework or course.

In my opinion thats what was wrong with the old EG podcasts.

Looking forward to listening to this.

Vroom

• Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 12 Jan 2010 23:53:35 4,624 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers Vroom. We want to strike a balance. I want to keep it fairly free flowing but I do think we need a bit more structure than we had in this one.

A lot of people have mentioned gaming podcasts to listen to, but in a way I'd rather not listen to them. I'd like it to evolve without taking too many cues directly from other games podcasts.

Having said that, I do enjoy Giant Bomb's work. Probably shouldn't pimp other websites really. Only other podcasts I listen to are Adam and Joe, Collins and Herring, and Kermode.

• Vroom 13 Jan 2010 00:13:14 4,644 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Stuff I love to hear on podcasts anyway as a game fan is the stuff that you generally don't see in articles and news stories.

Items like some honest off the cuff hands on opinions of upcoming games. Some open discussion of same.

Items like not especially structured interviews with industry types who are not there to flog fifa X or Army of 20. The individuals guest for a podcast and simply sit into the existing structure. i.e we hear what they're playing etc.. We get an idea what drives these people etc.

Remember its probably something that'll be supplementary to our other means of getting info on our hobby/job. i.e. we don't need news.

My 2 cent.... :)

Vroom

• Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 13 Jan 2010 00:27:41 4,624 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Totally agree.

• Vroom 13 Jan 2010 00:29:39 4,644 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Venatio wrote:
    Totally agree.

Well that warrants a cup of tea then :)

Vroom

• BillMurray 13 Jan 2010 10:34:15 7,705 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just finished listening, quite enjoyed that!
  • Gaiduku 13 Jan 2010 10:40:55 77 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is it up on itunes yet?
  • FairgroundTown 13 Jan 2010 10:42:50 2,522 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Gaiduku wrote:
    Is it up on itunes yet?
    Tom tweeted that it was.
  • Blerk Moderator 13 Jan 2010 10:47:31 48,225 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You should have a 'discussion topic of the week' related to some bit of news or something. You could open a thread in the forums in advance and have people argue about it, then the guys on the podcast could discuss their own views with points pulled from the forum thread. Providing it didn't descend into name-calling within the first page.
  • ManicDrunkMonk 13 Jan 2010 10:49:48 512 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It is, I subscibed this morning.

Good stuff guys, the more the better though. I don't mind podcasts heading off into 2 hour territory, if you've got the time!
  • Page

of 28 First / Last