your views on the N64 Page 4

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Next
  • cianchristopher 20 Jan 2012 16:10:32 6,360 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Did any console games run at 60fps back in the 90s? On any of them (SNES, MD, Saturn, N64, PS1)
  • Deleted user 20 January 2012 16:12:53
    Pretty much all of the 16-bit 2D games ran at 60fps
  • Popzeus 20 Jan 2012 16:13:19 8,362 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Probably not, but also I don't think anybody gave a shit back then.

Obsession with frame rates is a modern phenomenon.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• jimnastics 20 Jan 2012 18:14:43 291 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Zelda: OoT is, for me, still the greatest game of all time. Mario 64, Mario Kart 64 and Banjo Kazooie are also easily up there with my favourite games of all time. It's hard to compare consoles because obviously they all come at different stages of your life, and the N64 came along when I was also discovering girls, drink and rock n roll... but I would say the best gaming moments of my life came on that console, mainly through those games above.
  • mal 20 Jan 2012 18:54:05 22,710 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    F-Zero X was relatively famous for running at 60fps (on US/JP consoles anyway), which was why it looked like arse. I suspect Virtua Fighter ran at that speed in the arcades, thought I doubt the Saturn versions retained that. I suspect Bangai-O on the N64 ran at that pace as well, at least when it wasn't 'suffering' from slowdown.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Cappy 20 Jan 2012 19:07:31 12,031 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It got criticised a bit at the time but sacrificing graphical effects for frame rate was the right choice in the long term, there aren't many 3D racing games of that vintage which are still playable like F-Zero.
  • pigsy2400 21 Jan 2012 15:50:26 153 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The last Golden Xmas of my childhood / youth years, 15 years old, I have 4 brothers.....and Mario Kart 64 on Xmas day morning,.....

Bliss.....
  • darrenb 21 Jan 2012 16:09:29 683 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think until the more recent machines came out most UK/EU games ran at 25/50fps as the game was normally synced with the lovely PAL format.I think it was about the PS2 days when EU/US gamers started getting games at the same optimised speed.
  • mal 21 Jan 2012 16:52:22 22,710 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I dunno how they've fixed that really. Games since the days of 2d sprites were always goverened by their framerate - if you move a sprite two pixels to the right every frame, that's simple, but going from 60 to 50 fps you'd need to move 2.33 pixels when running at 50 fps to make it run at the same speed. Converting a game which works with whole numbers to work with fractions is a huge change, and probably wouldn't run as fast on those old CPUs when you'd done it.

The Dreamcast gave you the option to overclock the video output to 60Hz, albeit at standard US resolutions to keep the bandwidth within limits. The PS2 would do the same but also switch the colour carrier to NTSC, which meant I had to buy a new TV, but is at least in theory more standardised.

I dunno what's changed this gen. They migt have taken a trick from the PCs where given you're working in 3D anyway, as soon as you project your coordinates onto the screen you're forced into doing fractional multiplication, so you may as well do all your maths using fractions, so scaling the action according to the framerate is more practical. But I don't know.

TLDR; the Euro Dreamcast gave you the option to overclock the video in most games, while the PS2 stored it as a system setting. Both machines still run games slower if you run them at 50Hz, and I suspect the same may be true of today's consoles, but I've never run my 360 at 50Hz, so I dunno.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• drip 30 Jan 2012 11:36:34 4,313 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Body Harvest, oh yes. Well it was quite unpolished, but I think back in the time it was an awesome game. All the stuff you could do and drive, that was awesome. At least it was for me back then.
  • AgeOfChaos 30 Jan 2012 12:32:24 255 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Body Harvest, still my second favourite game of all time. What an atmosphere! And so unique for the N64. I remember buying it brand new, for quite cheap. It didnt sell well.

It's a shame the rom doesnt work.
  • convercide 31 Jan 2012 07:08:35 6,093 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A lot of my favourite games were on the N64. OoT, Majora's Mask, Mario 64, Goldeneye, Blast Corps (which is begging for a remake/XBLA re-release), Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie and Tooie, WCW vs NWO Revenge (the best wrestling game ever made to be honest), F-Zero X, Diddy Kong Racing and Mario Kart 64. It's just s shame there wasn't ever a Street Fighter on there. In fact, most of the 2D plane fighting games on it were absolute dogshit. Fighter's Destiny was alright I suppose.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• Gland 31 Jan 2012 07:16:41 78,480 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    AgeOfChaos wrote:
    Body Harvest, still my second favourite game of all time. What an atmosphere! And so unique for the N64. I remember buying it brand new, for quite cheap. It didnt sell well.

It's a shame the rom doesnt work.
    Works fine, but don't ruin your memories, it's absolute shit now.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• gelf 31 Jan 2012 13:50:30 188 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mal wrote:
    F-Zero X was relatively famous for running at 60fps (on US/JP consoles anyway), which was why it looked like arse. I suspect Virtua Fighter ran at that speed in the arcades, thought I doubt the Saturn versions retained that. I suspect Bangai-O on the N64 ran at that pace as well, at least when it wasn't 'suffering' from slowdown.
    I'm pretty sure Saturn Virtua fighter 2 ran at 60fps too. Sega obviously dabbled in dark magic at the time to get that working.
  • funkstar 31 Jan 2012 14:09:24 1,194 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    gelf wrote:
    mal wrote:
    I'm pretty sure Saturn Virtua fighter 2 ran at 60fps too. Sega obviously dabbled in dark magic at the time to get that working.
    although i cant remember the framerate, they made all the backgrounds 2d parallax layers (full 3d in the arcades). shun's stage in particular is no longer floating down a river and passing underneath a bridge, instead its just on some sand next to a 2d river.

Edited by funkstar at 14:20:12 31-01-2012

The Lives of Nobody Important Paperback

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Next