Gaming with your kids Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • jonsaan 11 Aug 2008 16:58:54 25,342 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nah. Everything in moderation. Speaking personally. My kids are way too excited by everything to focus all their efforts on gaming. They'd still rather be outside running about and playing on the swings than playing vid games. But they love them just the same. Everything in moderation.

Don't be one of these parents that blacklists certain activities. I can still recall my mate who wasn't allowed to watch Grange Hill!

mind you, having said all that, Eastenders is banned in my house!

EDIT: this was aimed at Peej's drop gaming for good comment.

FCUTA!

• pjmaybe 11 Aug 2008 17:03:45 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't want to end up as a totalitarian parent, but as much as I love gaming I'd see it as a wasted opportunity if my kid ended up as addicted as I was when I was a kid, or as addicted as my niece and nephew are - to the point where they just won't go anywhere or do anything when we visit, they just sit there like a pair of zombies.

All things in moderation sure, but it's incredibly hard to moderate kids when they're bloody minded about doing something. I think if they do get exposed to gaming at all though, it'll be strictly limited and time-scaled so the consoles are on timer switches etc. I guess this segues nicely with the parental discipline thread a bit. If you're a good enough parent I guess it shouldn't become too much of a problem but given the choice between spending time doing quality stuff with my kid, or just vegging out in front of the telly I'll choose the former even if it means sacking off the gaming entirely (I mean I'm practically there as it is with the amount I do at the mo).
  • jonsaan 11 Aug 2008 17:06:37 25,342 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Agreed. It depends on the child I guess. Mine must have really short attention spans I think. Like me! Which is one of the reasons I like games in the first place, but also one of the reasons I can only ever game for an hour or so at a time before I get hella bored.

FCUTA!

• pjmaybe 11 Aug 2008 17:20:55 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    In that case I hope my nipper does take after me, because I've got a seriously short attention span...OH LOOK, A BEE!

:)
  • deem 11 Aug 2008 17:47:16 31,641 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    lol, good luck.

• HairyDogWalker 11 Aug 2008 20:58:25 47 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't like the idea of setting time quotas as forbidden things become more attractive. Fortunately, although my kids do play video games, they do it in moderation. I probably play more than they do, but I do it when they are out of the house or in bed.

All (young) kids really want is your attention and to spend time with you. We've always played a lot of board/card games together. I think that is far more fun than video games and for young kids it is better for their development. I find it has helped me to keep a connection with my kids which is so important. In 13 months time my eldest will be a teenager and so far we still play together and he still talks to me (and hugs me). Long may it continue. However, I can't stop thinking about that Harry Enfield sketch where Kevin turns 13 and instantly transforms from a polite friendly boy into a grunting teenager who strops about how everything is so unfair.
  • m1rk 11 Aug 2008 21:42:29 332 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My 5 year old adores Lego Star Wars. I got him Indiana Jones when it came out. He has since managed to complete the majority of the game with barely any help from me - much to my suprise!

/is proud
  • otto Moderator 11 Aug 2008 21:45:18 49,314 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    I'm going to have to sack off the gaming for good. I've seen the effect it has on my niece / nephew and I really don't want her growing up like that.
    It depends entirely upon the child, as I've mentioned my seven-year-old has almost zero interest in playing games herself although she sees me playing all the time (and is very happy to stand behind me and watch me play WoW over my shoulder).

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• guts 12 Aug 2008 13:49:44 1,690 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My seven year old gets half hour a day (if she's good) and she is good as gold when I ask her to turn it off. She wasn't once and got banned for the rest of the week. We also make sure we have plenty of time for proper playing aswell. Normally console time is after the park or in the evening before the soaps (fkin women) start.

Whassamattayou, whyoulookasosad, itsanicaplace, itsanotsobad, heyshaddupayourface.

• jonsaan 12 Aug 2008 13:58:51 25,342 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Games have really helped my eldest to become a great reader. He now loves stuff like Zelda and Pokemon which are very reading heavy.

FCUTA!

• HairyDogWalker 12 Aug 2008 22:03:03 47 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Zelda is good. My daughter has been playing the Phantom Hourglass on the DS for the last few weeks. I'm having to do it as well and stay just one step ahead in case she gets stuck.
  • jonsaan 26 May 2009 09:11:24 25,342 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OH wow. My 8 year old son genuinely kicked my arse at call of Duty 4 this weekend. We are talking double the amount of kills....match after match.

A very odd feeling. Up till now I have always kind of gone easy on him. This time however I was trying my best and he KICKED MY ARSE :(

/mutters something about kids' reactions

FCUTA!

• Salaman 26 May 2009 09:39:10 18,959 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    8 year old allowed to play adult game outrage!

:-o

Maybe now that he's starting to beat you is the right time to tell him he's only allowed games suited to his age rating. Like Viva Pinata or something. :-)
  • pjmaybe 26 May 2009 09:47:26 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Still doing OK with the non-gaming stuff at home, though the nipper does love the In The Night Garden / Keyboard bashing type websites.

• Trafford 26 May 2009 10:11:33 5,739 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Me and the kids are working our way through Super Mario Galaxy together,great family co-op game I'm finding.
    The eldest at 7 years old is a far better player than me,showing more flair and dexterity than his old man.
  • Grump 26 May 2009 12:45:20 1,180 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    rhythm wrote:
    One belting answer to this thread: iPod Touch. *Tons* of decent toddler apps on it and once you've played stuff together it's sturdy enough that it can be left with pretty much any toddler

Yep - I can recommend:

- First Words - Animals
    - The TT series
    - Animatch

My 2 year old loves these and they're educational too!
  • Grump 26 May 2009 13:57:42 1,180 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    rhythm wrote:
    Rheya outgrew the TT series fairly quickly but loves a couple of the basic jigsaw apps out there.

Can you suggest one?
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:54:52
    Post deleted
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next