of 30 First / Last

• morriss 11 Jul 2009 21:07:55 71,286 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    any help training-wise would be great.
  • Lukus 11 Jul 2009 21:21:56 19,459 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ok, which are you particularly bad at? I struggled with a few at first thought got slowly better.

Paintings & Photographs

• Mike_Hunt 11 Jul 2009 21:22:51 23,526 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    any help training-wise would be great.
    I was the same as you (mostly because of the stick controls, but let's not go there :p). I managed to become 'ok' by training for the training.

Basically, head into "My Corner" from the main menu, and work on the training until you can at least score the level below Champion (Contender I think).

Learn which ones you can score Champion at. For me I found the following very doable:
    -Free sparring (fire away punches and you can easily double the required score for Champion)
    -Heavy Bag Push - Fire off nothing but straight rights and push the bag along
    -The one where you dodge the bag and punch - very easy.

You can get a very decent score by mainly focussing on your best ones (as you'll find there's some overlap on stats), and at least scoring "Contender" on the others (which will get you a bit more than auto-train) will mean you'll be ok when you get to the later levels.

The second tip, whilst technically cheating is the only way to counteract the overly difficult training, is to turn off autosave. That way, if you balls up on the training, you can just quit out and have another go.

HTH.

[MH]
  • morriss 11 Jul 2009 21:39:14 71,286 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers.

The one where I dodge I'm actually pretty poor at for some reason. The sparring I'm ok at. The heavy bag push I'll try your tip. Thanks.

I often findj ust using the auto-train gives me more points on than I'd usually get.

Seriously though. I'm at level 72 and am 6th in the world. Everyone above me's on 99. Any advice?
  • Lukus 11 Jul 2009 21:49:47 19,459 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Cheers.

The one where I dodge I'm actually pretty poor at for some reason. The sparring I'm ok at. The heavy bag push I'll try your tip. Thanks.

I often findj ust using the auto-train gives me more points on than I'd usually get.

Seriously though. I'm at level 72 and am 6th in the world. Everyone above me's on 99. Any advice?

Go for the points win, grind them down, in and out, avoid going toe to toe for too long, work the body, boost stamina over health.

As for training games, the mistake I was making with the dodge and punch one was using the wrong type of punch and swinging wildly into the bag. If you're not already, just go for a little body jab at the end of the dodging.

Sparring really depends on who your sparring partner is, but a safe bet is lots of blocking and weaving and going for lots of jabs wherever possible and a few combos when there's an opening. Treat the round like an actual fight you want to win.

The one for movement where you lay some punches then rotate to a new spot: Left uppercut, Right uppercut, Left uppercut, move is your best bet. Throw more than about 3 punches and you'll find you're still swinging when the position has moved. Don't be afraid to start with a jab if you have to move a long way just to make sure you keep the multiplier going. Don't throw too many punches is the key.

Stay on your feet: becomes easier once your movement improves so you can dodge around the ring and stay our of reach. Cover up, jab and move, counter, avoid getting hit.

The combo one where the trainer calls out punches. Better to be slow and steady than fast and messy. I find the hooks particularly annoying so slow right down for them to keep my multiplier high.

What else is there, I can't remember?

Paintings & Photographs

• kentmonkey 11 Jul 2009 21:58:17 20,923 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just beaten Ali on GOAT mode, quite happy with that (only had eight fights thus far, so picked it up pretty quickly). KO in the second round with Frasier.

Training, albeit I've only done it six times, seems to be okay. The dodge one is a piece of piss, as is the heavy bag combo. The worst one is the heavy bag push, as it takes a while to throw the punch and you can be throwing one just as the red marker moves up or down, thus causing you to mis-hit it and losing momentum. I assume when my boxer speeds up, this won't be such an issue.
  • morriss 11 Jul 2009 22:00:42 71,286 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheers chaps. This is all good.
  • FooAtari 11 Jul 2009 23:40:26 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bloodloss wrote:
    I'll never understand people who go mental over ads in games/movies.

/happily continues playing and watching said things without even noticing them

Im not totally against adds. They were a bit over the top in FN3 but fit in well with game as were quite realisitc.

But in FN4 they put these tacky Bronson (that was the ad that was up when I was playing anyway) pictures up between each round. You ca'tn miss them or ignore them. On both sides of the screen and they look well out of place and just shit, like someon had cut the pictures out of a magazine and stuck them on the screen. Then there is massive bronson picture on the floor of the boxing ring of the starter Gym. And posters everywhere. It was just way OTT.
  • funkyd 12 Jul 2009 01:25:19 7,522 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FooAtari wrote:
    But in FN4 they put these tacky Bronson (that was the ad that was up when I was playing anyway) pictures up between each round. You ca'tn miss them or ignore them. On both sides of the screen and they look well out of place and just shit, like someon had cut the pictures out of a magazine and stuck them on the screen

I think that actually adds to the realism of the game, as if it was a genuine television broadcast. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.
  • FooAtari 12 Jul 2009 09:05:26 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    funkyd wrote:
    I think that actually adds to the realism of the game, as if it was a genuine television broadcast. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

O_o

TV adds are nothing like that. And anyway, this is EA, a huge company it's not like they are strapped for cash or giving the game away for free. As I said, I can take some ads and sponsorship, but I don't pay £40 to put with crap like that.

Next you will want one or two proper adverts squeezed in between the rounds ITV style.

How about paying £15 (PPV) before you can play the big fights?

It will probably work, people are mugs and will generally take whatever they are givin lying down.
  • morriss 12 Jul 2009 21:15:01 71,286 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Here's an excerpt from a review I'm writing (it's not finished yet)

Other minor frustrations are minor things that could have made the game so much better. Take for example the annual awards. Each time the calendar goes past Dec 31st there are awards for best fight, best fighter, best round, best KO, best prospect, best comeback and so on in every single weight class and overall. However - yes, another however - it’s simply information on a screen; you can’t watch the best KO; you can’t watch the best round; you can just simply press “Continue” and move on. Why include these awards if you can’t interact with them in any way?

Also, the option to ‘Simulate’ fights seems to go against the ethos of the game entirely. Why would we buy a boxing game and not want to box? Why have the option in there in the first place. It simply doesn’t make any sense.

Other things like extremely slow loading times and the way you have to schedule a fight and sit and watch as the game cycles through each calendar day as you wait either to train, or to get back in the ring.

In a nutshell, EA needs to trim the fat somewhat. Every great game is based around keeping the adrenaline flowing, and although there’s nothing quite like the rush you feel when you’re toe to toe with your opponent in Fight Night Round 4, the comedown is a harsh one. There’s simply too much in the way that doesn’t feel necessary and either needs or re-work or simply be cut out all together.
  • Mike_Hunt 12 Jul 2009 22:34:36 23,526 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Erm... Whilst I agree that the awards are fairly pointless (replays would be great, or even having some apparant influence over them would be nice).

Criticising the fight "simulation" is a little harsh. It's an option, you don't *have* to do it ever. So I fail to see why it should be raised as a negative point, just because it's something you choose not to do.

I've had absolutely no issue with loading times. Perhaps that's specific to the PS3 version. The loading times in round three were terrible, and it's obviously much improved in round 4, so I'd be wary about mentioning that in an official review.

I'm also not sure of the point of the calendar cycle. If there's nothing inbetween, then why not just jump to the next event? It's more a curiosity than any sort of problem/issue though.

This isn't my favourite game (at least not until the control patch comes out), but I think your summary is very harshly worded, and reads a lot like someone who's missed the point.

[MH]
  • figaro7 13 Jul 2009 02:29:20 1,385 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Im really enjoying this but when you connect with a few punches its barely any different in sound than from a block. Did i hit him or did he block it i keep asking myself during fights. However the counter move is a great addition and that sounds good when you connect.

• likmarbles 13 Jul 2009 21:49:00 25 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Was really enjoying this game till i reached rank no2 tried to fight for a belt and the legacy mode just locked up on me cannot do anything but reset rinse and repeat....anyone else have this problem? Its the ps3 version
  • Lukus 15 Jul 2009 20:14:28 19,459 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Caspar_Esq. wrote:

Autotrain is shit for this reason:

Every training thing adds up to 5 points to a stat and will -1 to a load of others. The thing is that the -1 will ALWAYS apply, whether you ranked Champ or Bum.

So in other words, get Bum rating a lot and you are adding +1 to some stats and -1 to others. You don't level up slowly - you go nowhere and progressively training something you are bad at can actually ruin your stats :/

True, which is why persisting manually is for the best. It does eventually click what you should be doing in each event.
    I also feel a little peeved every time after I've beaten someone (in legacy), that I don't get a stats increase. I think it'd be cool if the game rewarded you more depending on how you've done.

Anyway, Take that Ali, you wimp.

Paintings & Photographs

• kentmonkey 15 Jul 2009 20:33:16 20,923 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's taken me 29 fights (winning all of them, 27 by KO) just to get a title shot. Erm...no. Some fighters don't even reach that amount of total fights before they retire, let alone get a title shot. And that was always taking on the highest rank boxer I could.

Far too much time spent slowly creeping up the ranks.
    Is online safe or am I going to get annoyed? I've stopped playing FIFA online as people just quit as soon as you go 2-0 or 3-0 up (or if there's 10 minutes left) and if FN's the same, I might just keep it to games with people on here.
  • Defector 15 Jul 2009 21:04:37 22 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Haven't played FN online yet but heard plenty of stuff about people quitting late in the fight or during the count if they think they've been knocked out. Pity there isn't some way to count that as a loss, if a boxer quits on his stool then his opponent wins by TKO...
  • Mike_Hunt 15 Jul 2009 21:22:18 23,526 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Anyway, Take that Ali, you wimp.
    Damn! You were one step away from chewing on his ear!

[MH]
  • Mike_Hunt 15 Jul 2009 21:25:23 23,526 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Defector wrote:
    Haven't played FN online yet but heard plenty of stuff about people quitting late in the fight or during the count if they think they've been knocked out. Pity there isn't some way to count that as a loss, if a boxer quits on his stool then his opponent wins by TKO...
    I've not played FNR4 that much online, and certainly not played any ranked matches (until the control get sorted), but in Round 3 you were generally pretty safe playing ranked matches.

Yeah, occasionally I would beat someone so bad that they'd just turn off their xbox, but the way the online system worked was that was counted as a win (I guess the code checked to see if I was still online, and if I'm online and the other guy isn't then I get awarded the point). So I actually didn't mind when people quit early, as it was just a quick win for me. Also - early quitters got very poor DNF (Did Not Finish) stats, which always persueded me not to quit out (not that I was often beat of course ;) )

[MH]
  • kentmonkey 15 Jul 2009 23:01:18 20,923 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Getting fed up with Legacy mode now to be honest. I've had to change weights if I want to retire as GOAT (which I do) so it took me 29 fights to even get a title shot, 30 to win the title, 31 to win the second title, then I had to give them up to move up in weight.

Even though I've got maximum in every single training round bar the first four I did I'm still nowhere near the stats of these other guys and yet I'm now 27 and have 32 fights under my belt. Err...no. At this rate, to get the majority my stats up to the 100's, which is where the fighters around me are, getting maximum points from each training session, I've worked out that I'm going to be 32 before that happens. A fighter may still be in his prime when he reaches 32, but he's certainly not only just reaching it by then.

Everything is just such a slog in Legacy that it takes the enjoyment out for me. I originally had the intention of playing through as middleweight and then going through again as one of the featherweights and finally with the heavyweight. That idea's gone out of the window.
  • SomaticSense 16 Jul 2009 13:45:13 9,139 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Has anyone been having a problem with really frequent freezing in Legacy mode?

Happens every time for me, either when finishing a training session or a fight. Everything just locks up, and I don't mean like it normally does for a second when saving. It permanentely freezes the whole 360. I've played about 6 or so games since this has started and it hasn't happened with any of those, so it's certainly not my console. It's just about unplayable now.

Also, why does it no longer use an actual pic of my boxer in the menu screens (rankings, stats, etc), but instead uses a pic of another random boxer? A lot of the boxer's I've imported into legacy also have random facial pics. My first legacy career never did this, so why now all of a sudden.

Typical EA Sports career mode. Passable, but so far from the quality it should be and inherently broken.
  • kentmonkey 16 Jul 2009 19:13:27 20,923 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There is a freezing issues Somatic, it's quite well documented. It appears that once it's crashed it continually does it, mainly when you're logged in to XBOX Live. Apparently deleting the cache on the drive may resolve it.
  • kentmonkey 17 Jul 2009 20:15:49 20,923 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anybody fancy a game sometime in the next half hour? I've only played against the AI as Middleweight or Light Heavyweight so would prefer that (I've not played online yet) but I'm flexible.
  • thenastypasty 17 Jul 2009 20:21:28 5,208 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Anybody fancy a game sometime in the next half hour? I've only played against the AI as Middleweight or Light Heavyweight so would prefer that (I've not played online yet) but I'm flexible.

I'll be on as soon as the little one goes to sleep for a few games,so feel free to add me!
  • kentmonkey 17 Jul 2009 20:28:14 20,923 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cool, will do mate. Anyone else fancy a game as well?
  • kentmonkey 17 Jul 2009 22:44:13 20,923 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Where were you Pasty?

I went online in the heavyweight championship mode, and what a clusterfuck that is.

From people that just continually spam the sway movement, to people that headbutt you as soon as you turn them into the red zone (six times in one round a guy did it to me, the ref did fuck all, I got so badly cut I was then fucked for the rest of the fight).

I just gave up against the stick spammers who kept circling as it just wasn't worth it, then I was thumping the shit out of one guy (xll GuNn3r llx, if you ever meet him online my advice is to put the fucker on ignore) when he got in a lucky punch to knock me down. What did he do? Proceeded to keep repeating the replay until I gave up, and then sent me a message saying 'how do you like my replay skills lmao'.

Another game ruined by fucking mongtards and bad playtesting by EA. You should not be able to continually sway without it taking stamina off, which would stop people doing that constantly. You wouldn't be able to continually do that in real life (from experience I would say constantly moving your body side to side and back to front would tire you out quicker than throwing punches).

I got two games against sensible opponents and manage to win both of those, but they were both tight and enjoyable. But two games out of 10 isn't exactly a good ratio.
  • Physically_Insane 20 Jul 2009 14:48:35 9,243 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh great, I'm stuck in an infinite training loop. My guy now has perfect stats because it won't allow me to start the next fight. Oh well, that was 7 hours I won't get back.
  • L_Franko Moderator 20 Jul 2009 15:34:40 9,697 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @kentmonkey,

That is why I don't fight randoms.

Welcome to add me if ya like as I would be happy to give you a match up. May not be online for a fight untill Friday but I need more people on my friends list that play this.

GT: L Franko
  • KenZy19 20 Jul 2009 16:47:13 42 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I hate the way one lucky punch can floor you in this game.
  • Page

of 30 First / Last