Spelling and grammar 'pet hates'

  • Page

    of 14 First / Last

    Previous
  • Popzeus 5 Sep 2007 15:43:34 8,330 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GRRR.

    I've just been brought to the point of fury by some cretin in the comments thread for the Stuntman review who triggered my number one grammatical pet hate. He wrote:

    "There is a myriad of games on the horizon."

    When of course he meant:

    "There are myriad games on the horizon."

    I'm not sure exactly why this particular, highly obscure grammatical error really gets my goat. I think it's because "myriad" is normally used by pretentious people who are trying to sound clever, yet their ignorance of how the word is actually used gives them away.

    Anyway, I digress. I know there are lots of pedants on EG, so: what obscure abuses of language get on your tits?

    Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

  • cubbymoore 5 Sep 2007 15:44:48 36,498 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I prefer the "wrong" sentence. It reads easier.
  • Deleted user 5 September 2007 15:45:55
    Me too.

    /watches English grammar evolve
  • THFourteen 5 Sep 2007 15:46:11 33,460 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One word sentences like GRRR. really get my goat.

    innit.
  • otto Moderator 5 Sep 2007 15:46:25 49,315 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    People saying "decimated" when they have no idea what it means.

    People calling their mothers "mom" when they are not citizens of the USA.

    People calling their arses "asses".

    People calling a single die, a "dice". Dice is the plural form of die, motherfuckers!

    People confusing the verbs 'to hang' (as in to execute by suspension) and 'to hang' as in to suspend. The past participle of the former is "hanged", the latter is "hung".

    say no to Eurogamer sigs

  • Popzeus 5 Sep 2007 15:47:25 8,330 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    I prefer the "wrong" sentence. It reads easier.

    But it's wrong!

    Anyway, if they were going for "easy to read" they would have written: "There are lots of new games on the horizon", which I wouldn't have had a problem with.

    Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

  • Tiger_Walts 5 Sep 2007 15:47:44 16,593 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think the supposedly correct sentence is missing an 'a'.

    IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

  • Killerbee 5 Sep 2007 15:49:03 5,016 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I really hate it when I see "DVD's" or "CD's" or "PC's" written on officially printed signs in shops. It's plural ffs, there's no need for an apostrophe!!!!!

    Another one that doesn't so much annoy me, but helps me identify the truly ignorant is when people say / write:

    "Please keep me appraised of situation" whereas what they really mean is "apprised"
  • absolutezero 5 Sep 2007 15:49:17 7,956 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The poeple in this thread make me want to want shit on purpose.

    liek dis.

    THE QUEEN'S ENGLISH YOU FUCKING CAD!
  • GrandpaUlrira 5 Sep 2007 15:50:14 3,753 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aren't there a myriad of similar threads like this on EG already? This thread will make five pages without any problems if the other threads are anything to go by.
  • captain_cupcake 5 Sep 2007 15:50:48 334 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    GRRR.

    I've just been brought to the point of fury by some cretin in the comments thread for the Stuntman review who triggered my number one grammatical pet hate. He wrote:

    "There is a myriad of games on the horizon."

    When of course he meant:

    "There are myriad games on the horizon."


    Unless said person actually meant 10,000.
  • Killerbee 5 Sep 2007 15:51:09 5,016 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post deleted
  • billythekid 5 Sep 2007 15:51:31 11,138 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    cubbymoore wrote:
    I prefer the "wrong" sentence. It reads easier.

    But it's wrong!

    Anyway, if they were going for "easy to read" they would have written: "There are lots of new games on the horizon", which I wouldn't have had a problem with.

    Its not wrong, myriad can be used as an adjective or as a noun.
    Therefore both sentences are correct.
  • boo 5 Sep 2007 15:52:01 11,786 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    People who mistakenly believe that 'text' is a verb.

    Just Another Lego Blog

  • silentbob 5 Sep 2007 15:52:03 28,975 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    otto wrote:
    People saying "decimated" when they have no idea what it means.

    People calling their mothers "mom" when they are not citizens of the USA.

    People calling their arses "asses".

    People calling a single die, a "dice". Dice is the plural form of die, motherfuckers!

    People confusing the verbs 'to hang' (as in to execute by suspension) and 'to hang' as in to suspend. The past participle of the former is "hanged", the latter is "hung".
    Listen to the man. He's a member of a mliltant Facebook group dedicated to fighting the cause. ;)

    VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

  • Arrit 5 Sep 2007 15:53:06 414 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I want to know if it's correct to say "I'm itching myself". Surly you're scratching yourself because you have an itch. If you were itching yourself would you not be making yourself itchy?
  • Toonster 5 Sep 2007 15:53:08 6,842 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ah, the USA, home of the gramatically dysfunctional.

    /will rip off the head of the next person who says, "you did good"

    3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

  • THFourteen 5 Sep 2007 15:54:05 33,460 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wha?

    So you say "I hanged up my coat over there" instead of "I hung up my coat over there"?

    No way!

    edit: apparently I can't read or write.

    /shies away from thread...
  • silentbob 5 Sep 2007 15:54:57 28,975 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Arrit wrote:
    I want to know if it's correct to say "I'm itching myself". Surly you're scratching yourself because you have an itch. If you were itching yourself would you not be making yourself itchy?
    Yer, the itch / scratch swapping is irritating.

    /badoom-thunk
    /no cymbal

    VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

  • otto Moderator 5 Sep 2007 15:55:07 49,315 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Unless you're trying to kill your coat by putting its head in a noose and suspending it from the gallows, then no.

    "How are you?" "Good." Another irritation.

    say no to Eurogamer sigs

  • Popzeus 5 Sep 2007 15:55:10 8,330 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    Popzeus wrote:
    cubbymoore wrote:
    I prefer the "wrong" sentence. It reads easier.

    But it's wrong!

    Anyway, if they were going for "easy to read" they would have written: "There are lots of new games on the horizon", which I wouldn't have had a problem with.

    Its not wrong, myriad can be used as an adjective or as a noun.
    Therefore both sentences are correct.

    Hmm, so it seems. That's such a fucking cop-out. However, in the sentence I quoted it's clearly being used as an adjective.

    So it's still wrong.

    Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

  • gang_of_bitches 5 Sep 2007 15:55:25 5,602 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    Popzeus wrote:
    cubbymoore wrote:
    I prefer the "wrong" sentence. It reads easier.

    But it's wrong!

    Anyway, if they were going for "easy to read" they would have written: "There are lots of new games on the horizon", which I wouldn't have had a problem with.

    Its not wrong, myriad can be used as an adjective or as a noun.
    Therefore both sentences are correct.

    I would tend to agree.

    He's essentially saying there are a lot (myriad) games coming out. I don't see the problem. I certainly see a million more annoying gramatical errors every day that better deserve bitching about.

  • RichGL 5 Sep 2007 15:56:05 793 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    1. Incorrectly used apostrophes on shop signs.
    2. People posting on web forums using "where" to mean "wear" or vice versa. Or "their" to mean "there" or "they're" or any mixed up combination of these words!
  • heyyo 5 Sep 2007 15:56:17 14,373 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    "Tescos" "Asdas"
  • AcidSnake 5 Sep 2007 15:56:17 7,278 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sequal...Hate that...

    AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

  • cubbymoore 5 Sep 2007 15:56:24 36,498 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pedants are awful. They don't seem to realise that language has been evolving constantly and like to think that there're set rules. Which's bullshite.
  • billythekid 5 Sep 2007 15:57:30 11,138 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Brake is to retard motion, to slow down.
    Break is to fuck something up.

    Please remember this.
  • Popzeus 5 Sep 2007 15:58:01 8,330 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    cubbymoore wrote:
    Pedants are awful. They don't seem to realise that language has been evolving constantly and like to think that there're set rules. Which's bullshite.

    Rubbish. Without set rules, language doesn't evolve - it disintegrates.

    Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

  • JuanKerr 5 Sep 2007 15:58:02 36,251 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RichGL wrote:
    1. Incorrectly used apostrophes on shop signs.
    2. People posting on web forums using "where" to mean "wear" or vice versa. Or "their" to mean "there" or "they're" or any mixed up combination of these words!

    +1

    The rules governing basic use of apostrophes and their/there etc are prety easy and it actually worries me how often people get it wrong.
  • RichGL 5 Sep 2007 15:58:59 793 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    silentbob wrote:
    Arrit wrote:
    I want to know if it's correct to say "I'm itching myself". Surly you're scratching yourself because you have an itch. If you were itching yourself would you not be making yourself itchy?
    Yer, the itch / scratch swapping is irritating.

    /badoom-thunk
    /no cymbal

    "I'm itching, myself." (with a comma added) to mean "I am also itching." is that ok?

    Surly definitely doesn't substitute for surely though.
  • Page

    of 14 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply