EG adverts - CPU

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Wayne 3 Sep 2007 22:27:02 2,143 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've noticed a pattern. When I'm on Eurogamers my PC seems to run noticably slower and I'm pretty certain it's the advert that runs above and to the right of site.

iexplore.exe sits at around 60 - 80% when EG is open.

I've a 1.6Ghz processor and a 1GB of RAM so I'm guessing the flash animations are very badly optimised.

Just thought I'd say.
  • TwistidChimp 3 Sep 2007 22:29:25 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've been noticing a bit of slow down just recently, and the advert at the side starts to chug. Depends on the ad though, I was getting some ludicrous lag earlier while I was trying to watch EurogamerTV with that World in Conflict ad or whatever its called playing.
  • Wayne 3 Sep 2007 22:31:01 2,143 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep, same here. Eurogamer was virtually unusable with that ad running.
  • cubbymoore 3 Sep 2007 22:31:27 36,468 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They've always hogged. It's what makes adblock seem so appealing.

Pretty sure I saw adblock advertising just how effective it was by demonstrating on EG. Might have imagined it in a cheese dream.
  • TriodeBliss 3 Sep 2007 22:32:38 724 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, it was reported earlier.

Those World in Conflict ads hammered one of my cores and made Firefox lock up unless the mouse was over the ad.
  • jiveguy 3 Sep 2007 22:32:47 836 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I get this on my laptop. If I've been on a eurogamer page for a minute or so I can hear the fan start to speed up and it gets noticeably hotter. Things will always go back to normal once I close any eg windows/tabs.

Live: BocoGuy | Steam: jiveguy | Origin: Boco

• Hurleybird 3 Sep 2007 22:33:05 1,381 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Stuntman Ignition was what clinched it for me - IEPro with Flash AdBlock. I hate doing it, but it had to be done. I couldn't watch Eurogamer TV
  • TwistidChimp 3 Sep 2007 22:41:39 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wonga wrote:
    Who designs these bloody adverts anyway, seems like they don't have to test them, nice work if you can get it eh....

Aye.. you'd think they'd do some performace tests with them first just to make sure they wern't going to bring the site to a stand still :)
  • read_only 3 Sep 2007 22:54:59 147 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    jiveguy wrote:
    I get this on my laptop. If I've been on a eurogamer page for a minute or so I can hear the fan start to speed up and it gets noticeably hotter. Things will always go back to normal once I close any eg windows/tabs.

Yep. I browse the web in tranquil silence until I read EG and the fan starts grinding away. On the ancient mac I use at work I had to disable flash to be able to read EG.
  • heyyo 3 Sep 2007 22:56:21 14,374 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    jiveguy wrote:

Yup, same.
  • Xerx3s 3 Sep 2007 22:56:22 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Flash is the scourge of the internet. Pos really.
  • mcmonkeyplc 3 Sep 2007 23:17:52 39,388 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Im running a 2 core duo 1.8ghz PC with 2 GB RAM and I notice it using 60% (max) of one of my cores which is huge considering Bioshock only uses 125% (2 cores remember).

That could be EG's new slogan "Hogging more power than the latest games since 2001!"

Some adverts are worse than others.

The Medal of Honor advert is no where near as bad as Stuntman, where I recorded 60% usage of core 1.

22.00.42.10 till the teraflop is used!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• marilena 3 Sep 2007 23:31:10 8,198 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I get amazing slowdown both at home and at work, and my work PC is fairly hefty.

If I want to read anything on the main site I'll have to actually bother to install an ad blocker or something.
  • marilena 4 Sep 2007 10:55:04 8,198 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    *Bump*

It's getting quite annoying, can we at least get confirmation that someone is looking into this?
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 4 Sep 2007 10:58:42 37,412 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rauper stated in another thread that they were aware I seem to remember.

But yeah, at home where the ads aren't automatically blocked, the Stuntman one causes IE and FF to grind to a slow crawl. It's always at a certain part of the animation too.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Deleted user 4 September 2007 11:04:35
    DDevil wrote:
    Yeah, when I realised the Battle For Midway ads were killing my Powerbook when EG was open in a tab, he said that they're aware of it but they have no choice. Which is nice.
  • mcmonkeyplc 4 Sep 2007 11:07:15 39,388 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    DDevil wrote:
    Yeah, when I realised the Battle For Midway ads were killing my Powerbook when EG was open in a tab, he said that they're aware of it but they have no choice. Which is nice.

Can a mod please change the category of this thread to bug issues.

Merci!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• craigy Staff 4 Sep 2007 11:08:05 7,542 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hi guys,

The problem's been raised with the appropriate people - it's a definite problem, and hopefully we can sort something out to minimise how often these types of problems occur.
  • asphaltcowboy 4 Sep 2007 11:10:25 5,138 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Hi guys,

The problem's been raised with the appropriate people - it's a definite problem, and hopefully we can sort something out to minimise how often these types of problems occur.
    JPGs and GIFs FTW!
  • Deleted user 4 September 2007 11:16:49
    craigy wrote:
    Hi guys,

Good stuff! It's absolutely outrageous that your site's speed and, therefore, the speed of your users' computers is compromised by an advertiser.
  • moggsy 4 Sep 2007 11:53:07 3,860 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What you need is Firefox and the Flashblock extension. Instead of loading a Flash item it just loads a place holder which contains a button you can press to load the Flash stuff if you want to.

I know this means less ad revenue to Eurogamer but I never click on ads anyway and they do occasionally make the site unusable, especially at work.
  • moggsy 4 Sep 2007 11:53:48 3,860 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    Aye, nothing wrong with a nice jpeg or gif ad. Flash was a nice little toy in the olden days, now it's a fucking evil piece of shit that's been harnessed by the advert cunts.

and Eurogamer TV ;-)
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 4 Sep 2007 12:07:07 37,412 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Actually, it's only while I'm using EGTV that I have the slow down with those ads. I only realised it was the ads causing it when I figured out it slowed down at a certain point in the advert. Too much Flash at once I guess :-)

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• TwistidChimp 4 Sep 2007 12:11:25 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Have taken Moggsy's advice and installed the Flashblock extension. Excellent stuff. If I want to play the content, like EGTV, I just click on the play button. Perfect solution. (More than happy to turn ads back on should EG put some kind of performance limit on them so it doesn't kill my pc or make watching EGTV impossible).
  • gamingdave 4 Sep 2007 12:24:46 4,190 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Theres nothing wrong with Flash, its just some peoples implementation of it. It can be a real resource hog if people dont clear things the have called, like intervals and scripts running on every frame.

Having been inovlved in building some Flash banners recently its perfectly possible to build higly complex banners that have a very small footprint.
  • sport 4 Sep 2007 12:37:06 12,584 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    +1 for flashblock

just installed it - brilliant extension - can now finally watch some EGTV
  • TwistidChimp 5 Sep 2007 15:33:27 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hehe :) That was fast, the flash world in conflict ad on the fp is now a gif ?

Or was it a gif before and I just never noticed ?
  • cheese001 5 Sep 2007 15:52:04 813 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Agreed, that was fast. Problem solved.

The world in conflict one crashed my work PC forcing me to do no work for 15 mins.

ummmmm..........
  • TwistidChimp 5 Sep 2007 16:02:32 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well.. half of its a gif anyway. Which is progress :)
  • andyk 5 Sep 2007 16:19:04 169 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hurleybird wrote:
    Stuntman Ignition was what clinched it for me - IEPro with Flash AdBlock. I hate doing it, but it had to be done. I couldn't watch Eurogamer TV

Same happened to me. I am running a newly built system with a C2D Quad and EGTV was very choppy until the ad played out.

It is the fault of the coders who made a crap ad. The Stuntman ad was the only one which was buggy tho.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous