Zero Punctuation Page 117

• Page

of 121 First / Last

• Whizzo 20 Mar 2013 21:42:57 43,031 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    As for the Tomb Raider review, he was phoning that in, very poor.

This space left intentionally blank.

• mal 20 Mar 2013 21:55:16 22,332 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, I stil watch, whenever I notice the thread being bumped.

FWIW, here's the actual Tom Braider episode link, in case anyone comes over this in weeks ahead.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Triggerhappytel 20 Mar 2013 21:58:47 2,667 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I still watch this, although it's clearly not as funny as it once was - but then, it has been going for six years, so that's not surprising. I'm always a week behind anyway as I watch it on YouTube, as my tablet don't do Flash and I rarely turn on my laptop anymore.
  • HiddenAway 27 Mar 2013 19:35:37 14,853 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yahtzee obviously managed to get onto the servers long enough to test this

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• YenRug 28 Mar 2013 00:06:28 2,014 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    HiddenAway wrote:
    Yahtzee obviously managed to get onto the servers long enough to test this
    Shame EA didn't...
  • RobTheBuilder 28 Mar 2013 00:47:55 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @HiddenAway That's the most spot on one I've seen in a while.
  • FrostPan 31 Mar 2013 17:57:44 102 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    He was on top-form with the Sim City review, after the sub-par reviews over the past few months Hope to see his next reviews to have at least a fragment of quality from the Sim City review.
  • dsmx 31 Mar 2013 19:05:15 7,548 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I warmed myself up by watching the simcity societies review he did aaaaaaages ago, strangely enough I'm beginning to think he actually liked that game more than he did this new one.

Oh yeah and for your enjoyment about the stupidity in the new simcity courtesy of the reddit section http://imgur.com/a/gW7F9

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• M83J01P97 31 Mar 2013 19:25:38 6,522 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm eager to see his take on BioShock Infinite, he's rambled on about story taking a step back to action in games for a while now.
  • JinTypeNoir 31 Mar 2013 23:07:48 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You know, in gaming circles, I think there's a tendency to romanticize talented people and then take them to task whenever they don't produce perfect content. I don't think all of Yahtzee's reviews have been good, but the majority are an amusing insight into his caustic world. Branston Pickles, is it?

What seals it for me is that Yahtzee is still as relevant today as he was six years ago when his shit-talking videos of ridiculous games was fresh and new, and not everyone was doing it. If sometimes he puts in stuff that seems a little odd because it seems like he has a hate quotient he has to fill, well, having to update every week will do that. On the whole, its like a long-running serial comic or manga -- there are parts that are more on the ball than others, but consistency is a big reason they've been able to keep up for so long.

Zero Punctuation is consistently good and amusing; it doesn't need world-changingly funny gags every time. You also don't need to agree with it to find it funny. Yahtzee and I are at complete opposite poles of what we think of Nintendo and Japanese RPGs, for instance.

I don't watch every week, I tend to take a break and then watch 3 or 4 videos at a time, but that's the reason I've been consistently watching since the beginning.

The only complaint I can give is that since Zero Punctuation, he doesn't seem to have any interest in making more of his awesome adventure games and because he's tied to The Escapist that means he usually has to do a lot of media-hyped games everyone will understand, when eviscerating some new point 'n click adventure games wouldn't go amiss.
  • Zerobob 31 Mar 2013 23:44:02 1,604 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I agree. I still watch Yahtzee and Zero Punctuation every Wed afternoon at 5pm, because it's still funnier and more entertaining than a lot of things on TV and the Net. The same goes for Top Gear.

People just end up getting bored of anything eventually and ultimately take it for granted.

I thought the recent Tomb Raider and Sim City reviews were really funny, and Yahtzee never fails to make a good point and communicate it well. He certainly knows what makes a good game and what makes a bad game. I think he plays an important role in voicing bad trends between games, and highlighting areas where the games industry is stagnating.
  • dsmx 1 Apr 2013 00:10:14 7,548 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I still feel yahtzee only exists because actual game review sites are unable to properly criticise games, he fills a void that exists in gaming reviews.

One that only exists because game reviewers don't have the balls to call out the bullshit that exists in gaming at the moment, the kind of things that allows companies like EA to get away with releasing broken games year after year and they still get praised heaped on them.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Triggerhappytel 1 Apr 2013 01:16:20 2,667 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Funnily enough I was watching some Classic Game Room reviews on YouTube earlier and was thinking how I prefer his ultra-positive, enthusiastic style these days to Yahtzee's trying-too-hard-to-be-cutting reviews. I do enjoy both reviewers though, although they're pretty much at opposite ends of the scale.
  • GuiltySpark 1 Apr 2013 01:22:44 6,320 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JinTypeNoir wrote:
    The only complaint I can give is that since Zero Punctuation, he doesn't seem to have any interest in making more of his awesome adventure games and because he's tied to The Escapist that means he usually has to do a lot of media-hyped games everyone will understand, when eviscerating some new point 'n click adventure games wouldn't go amiss.
    The thing is though, hatred aimed at EA and Activision feels justifiable because they just don't give a fuck, sitting atop their large piles of money. Smaller companies and indie games, it seems a harsher target really.

Also, totalbiscuit would have generally already done a 'WTF is' on it.

Get bent.

• JinTypeNoir 1 Apr 2013 01:49:40 4,365 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well yes, but I feel that's out of a misguided sense of blame game that gamers play. We all feel that EA are the bad guys, and yes, they do comically villainous things, but we have to remember that EA are made up of many people and that the "EA" we've created is a literary rhetorical device for an individual of sorts that doesn't actually exist. So, when Yahtzee goes to town on them, none of us feel bad, but it doesn't change the fact that quite often bad games come out of good people at EA or some 5-person development team indie. Yahtzee's also intelligent enough to structure his hypothetical reviews about such games around misguided intentions and not mythical company villains.

Classic Game Room is also fantastic. Both shows serve to be excellent reminders that game criticism, whether it be positive or negative, is only as good as its critics' abilities. The main Classic Game Room guy (sorry, don't know his name) is beyond excellent at getting across his enthusiasm for games, but the rest of that staff aren't as good as he is. Many are critical of gaming reviews that are suspiciously too positive (i.e. the hilarious debacle of Polygon's Sim City review), but Classic Gaming Room's mostly positive reviews coming across swimmingly without seeming as sycophantic or ridiculous, and that is due to some serious communication skill on the part of the main guy, that the others lack. Similarly, Yahtzee really is the only thing worth watching on The Escapist, as every other show just serves to illustrate how annoying that type of ultra-critical negativity is if you do it the wrong way. (Not quite as good, but pretty nice too in a contrasting way is The Happy Gaming Nerd to James Rolfe's Angry Video Game Nerd.)
  • Triggerhappytel 1 Apr 2013 01:58:57 2,667 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've watched a handful of Jimquisition videos on the Escapist, and while I think he sometimes makes good points, I really don't like his style or humour very much. Although his rap to Cliffy B was quite funny.

The main guy from Classic Game Room is called Mark, although I don't know his surname. Are there any other reviewers on the main channel? I'm also subscribed to CGR Undertow, and the folk on there are nowhere near as good at reviewing or conveying their enthusiasm as Mark.
  • matrim83 1 Apr 2013 05:48:32 5,587 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Who changed the thread title? :D

He is still entertaining most of the times.

Valar morghulis.

• mal 1 Apr 2013 06:28:15 22,332 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    His reviews are perhaps as useful as they ever have been, but I miss the little sight gags he used to pepper his reviews with, that often caused me to watch the review at least twice to catch them all.

• dsmx 1 Apr 2013 12:23:21 7,548 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I miss the strangely relevant music he used to start and finish his reviews with and I still hate the "theme" tune he uses now.

• DFawkes 1 Apr 2013 12:36:14 22,581 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not a practical option unfortunately, after the threats of legal action from some of the people he "borrowed" music from ;) New theme tune could do I suppose.

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• thedaveeyres 1 Apr 2013 12:44:44 10,684 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He's the only videogame reviewer/comedy type I'll watch, as he's the only one who does it who isn't a completely despicable unfunny bag of cunts. He wins by default.

Edited by thedaveeyres at 12:45:16 01-04-2013

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• HiddenAway 3 Apr 2013 20:36:45 14,853 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can the Walking Dead Survive?

• HiddenAway 10 Apr 2013 20:26:54 14,853 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bioshock Forever

• mal 10 Apr 2013 20:40:57 22,332 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Now plant this sapling!
    Heh!

• HiddenAway 17 Apr 2013 17:47:34 14,853 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lego City Undercover

• Deckard1 17 Apr 2013 17:48:50 27,051 posts
    Seen 5 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Are you actually him?
  • HiddenAway 17 Apr 2013 17:57:37 14,853 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yes. He gives me 100 for every link :p

This is as true as me saying that a man has landed on the sun on this very day

• SomaticSense 17 Apr 2013 18:20:56 7,919 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    M83J01P97 wrote:
    I'm eager to see his take on BioShock Infinite, he's rambled on about story taking a step back to action in games for a while now.
    Quite the contrary. He finishes the review with the phrases "maximum butt penetration", and "wanky wanky word word", which is how he describes what he thought of the storytelling.

On the other hand, he loved the action. So an unexpected conclusion really.
  • Page

of 121 First / Last