I hate Facebook Page 4

• Page

of 88 First / Last

• Hunam 30 Aug 2007 15:48:56 20,674 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    Hunam wrote:
    School reunions only suck if you have failed at life.
    Don't matter how successful you've been, if your fellow pupils were cunts there ain't nothin' going to make it a particularly satisfying evening meeting them all again other than pissing in the punch and watching 'em all drink it... ;)

It's the gratification of people who thought that because they were popular at school and you weren't (even though i was... ho hum) that they have had a shitty worthless existence and you have done something with yourself. You then go out of your way to let them know that you are awesome and they are not even allowed to shine your shoes.
  • Deleted user 30 August 2007 15:49:44
    It is actually quite cool for a whole bunch of people that were at a particular event or job or something to all have a bit of banter in a public forum - kind of like this place.

I just got tired of being asked if I have a profile like I'm some kind of oddity/weirdo if I don't have one. But I can see the basic appeal to most webaphobic folks that want an online 'presence'.

I'd still rather communicate with people without FB middle-managing it all for me, though.
  • Stickman 30 Aug 2007 15:50:14 29,666 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hunam wrote:
    It's the gratification of people who thought that because they were popular at school and you weren't (even though i was... ho hum) that they have had a shitty worthless existence and you have done something with yourself. You then go out of your way to let them know that you are awesome and they are not even allowed to shine your shoes.

Yep. That's pretty much the definition of why they suck ass.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• deem 30 Aug 2007 15:50:21 31,641 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    I do find it hard to stay in touch with many of my friends, especially those who have moved abroad, etc. However, I'd much rather spend half an hour writing a personal email and attaching photos than sticking it on facebook, that's all. Even better, I'd send the person a hand written letter or a postcard - that's a genuinely nice sentiment and shits all over posting stuff on facebook.

Of course, wouldn't we all? But for those of us that don't have time for stuff like that, there's facebook.

• Goban 30 Aug 2007 15:50:21 9,071 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hunam wrote:
    Owen-B wrote:
    Hunam wrote:
    Don't matter how successful you've been, if your fellow pupils were cunts there ain't nothin' going to make it a particularly satisfying evening meeting them all again other than pissing in the punch and watching 'em all drink it... ;)

That's exactly what puts me off reunions.
  • Deleted user 30 August 2007 15:50:37
    Hunam wrote:
    Owen-B wrote:
    Hunam wrote:

Yes, that would be fun too. That and the piss trick. :)
  • JuanKerr 30 Aug 2007 15:51:23 36,295 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Goban wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    I do find it hard to stay in touch with many of my friends, especially those who have moved abroad, etc. However, I'd much rather spend half an hour writing a personal email and attaching photos than sticking it on facebook, that's all. Even better, I'd send the person a hand written letter or a postcard - that's a genuinely nice sentiment and shits all over posting stuff on facebook.

Just my take on it, doesn't mean I'm right or wrong.

You know your right though.

Of course I am ;-)
  • Killerbee 30 Aug 2007 15:53:20 5,016 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I set up a facebook account quite recently, simply following a friend request someone sent to my hotmail account. I thought it was about a million times better than myspace and a step above Friends Reunited, but I can't really see myself being on it all day long or anything.

It's good as a signpost for other people wanting to get in touch with me, but tbh I was already in touch with anyone I'd really consider to be a "friend" anyway, so it makes no odds.
  • JuanKerr 30 Aug 2007 15:54:00 36,295 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    deem wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:

Of course, wouldn't we all? But for those of us that don't have time for stuff like that, there's facebook.

Well, if the person is really a friend, I can't see the problem with putting 20 minutes aside one evening and writing them a letter or email and I find it hard to believe that people are so busy that they can't spare a tiny chunk of their day to communicate in a more personal and meaningful fashion.
  • deem 30 Aug 2007 15:54:04 31,641 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Owen-B wrote:
    I just got tired of being asked if I have a profile like I'm some kind of oddity/weirdo if I don't have one.

But see, you're just talking crap. Over reacting, making a mounting out of a mole hill etc. I don't believe for a single minute that anyone you know thinks your either of those things because you don't go on facebook.

I think you're making it up because you like something to moan about.

• ghearoid 30 Aug 2007 15:54:14 2,295 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    um, i searched for a eurogamer group (ok, i was very bored at work that day..) and joined it. the thing is, since most of 'em use their real names, i don't know who's who

quite a few fit ones in there though!

;op
  • Goban 30 Aug 2007 15:54:29 9,071 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Goban wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:

Just my take on it, doesn't mean I'm right or wrong.

You know your right though.

Of course I am ;-)
    It's like those christmas cards that people used to make with the family photo on the front and a photocopy of a standard 'what we've been up to' letter in it...fuck off you impersonal bastards!
  • pjmaybe 30 Aug 2007 15:54:31 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Anything's better than myspace.

As I've said before, it's like watching someone tear pages out of a HTML sourcebook, chew them for half an hour and then copiously vomit / shit them directly onto your monitor.

Peej
  • deem 30 Aug 2007 15:55:20 31,641 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    deem wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:

Well, if the person is really a friend, I can't see the problem with putting 20 minutes aside one evening and writing them a letter or email and I find it hard to believe that people are so busy that they can't spare a tiny chunk of their day to communicate in a more personal and meaningful fashion.

Of course, wouldn't we all? But for those of us that never get around to doing stuff like that...
  • PES_Fanboy 30 Aug 2007 15:56:20 17,008 posts
    Seen 1 second ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've never even visited Facebook, but that hasn't stopped me hating it.

I've never listened to a My Chemical Romance album either, and I fucking hate them.

Young people - FFS.
  • Deleted user 30 August 2007 15:56:22
    deem wrote:
    Owen-B wrote:
    I just got tired of being asked if I have a profile like I'm some kind of oddity/weirdo if I don't have one.

But see, you're just talking crap. Over reacting, making a mounting out of a mole hill etc. I don't believe for a single minute that anyone you know thinks your either of those things because you don't go on facebook.

I think you're making it up because you like something to moan about.

It got to the point where people thought it was odd that I wouldn't have a FaceBook profile because they knew very well that I was a very 'internet' type of person and assumed that therefore it would be right up my street. I went several months through nearly everybody I was working with having one and it getting talked about aaaaall the time before I finally succombed.

Wanker.
  • pjmaybe 30 Aug 2007 15:56:38 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ghearoid wrote:
    um, i searched for a eurogamer group (ok, i was very bored at work that day..) and joined it. the thing is, since most of 'em use their real names, i don't know who's who

quite a few fit ones in there though!

;op

There is a forum (oh the irony) on that group that tells you who people are.

Some real surprises on there. For starters, I didn't know Razz was female!

Peej
  • Hunam 30 Aug 2007 15:56:43 20,674 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My friend made a good point about this social network stuff. If you have a one night stand and then the other person suddenly wants to take it further, its much easier for them to find you with Myspace/Facebook/Beebo. So not having one can be handy at times.
  • JuanKerr 30 Aug 2007 15:57:52 36,295 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Goban wrote:

It's like those christmas cards that people used to make with the family photo on the front and a photocopy of a standard 'what we've been up to' letter in it...fuck off you impersonal bastards!

I had an acquaintance from one of my old jobs who used to send out a groupe email entitled: 'Mark's life part 1, 2, 3, etc ' every couple of months which basically read like a biography of his life. It was so impersonal and egotistical that I used to delete them instantly. What a twat.
  • deem 30 Aug 2007 15:59:06 31,641 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hunam wrote:
    My friend made a good point about this social network stuff. If you have a one night stand and then the other person suddenly wants to take it further, its much easier for them to find you with Myspace/Facebook/Beebo. So not having one can be handy at times.

You tell one night stands your surname!?
  • ghearoid 30 Aug 2007 15:59:35 2,295 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago

There is a forum (oh the irony) on that group that tells you who people are.

Peej

oh thanks Peej, i'll check that out. i mean, some people were obvious and some of the old timers i've seen before, but i was a bit lost as to who the others were

;op
  • Pike 30 Aug 2007 15:59:40 13,447 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    This thread has made decide that I should finally get around to register a Facebook profile.
  • pjmaybe 30 Aug 2007 16:00:39 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    heheh it's having exactly the opposite effect to what it was set up for.

Welcome to EG.

Peej
  • ghearoid 30 Aug 2007 16:00:56 2,295 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    deem wrote:

jeez, i don't even tell 'em my first name. i'm usually some generic homosexual name like steven or chris

;op

edited because i'm hopeless at HTML. you should see how many times i have to alter my blog..

• Stickman 30 Aug 2007 16:01:02 29,666 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    deem wrote:
    Hunam wrote:

Rookie mistake. "Hi, Ken Adams..."

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• JuanKerr 30 Aug 2007 16:02:26 36,295 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pike wrote:
    This thread has made decide that I should finally get around to register a Facebook profile.

/ puts heads in hands
  • deem 30 Aug 2007 16:03:19 31,641 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've also had a couple of offers, one from an ex, and one from someone that I used to fancy the fuck out of years ago, and although I won't be doing anything about it, it's quite fun getting PM's all the time from fit girls. :)

• Goban 30 Aug 2007 16:05:00 9,071 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    deem wrote:
    I've also had a couple of offers, one from an ex, and one from someone that I used to fancy the fuck out of years ago, and although I won't be doing anything about it, it's quite fun getting PM's all the time from fit girls. :)

So more ego massaging then?
  • Whizzo 30 Aug 2007 16:05:15 43,187 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pike wrote:
    Hehe not long signed up because of this thread too!

Can't really bitch about something I have no experience really. My home town (population 50K+)doesn't exist apparently so it'll probably be fairly useless to me...

This space left intentionally blank.

• ghearoid 30 Aug 2007 16:05:53 2,295 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    deem wrote:

um, the guys at work call it 'facef**k' because of all the nobbing that goes on

;op
  • Page

of 88 First / Last