I hate Facebook Page 82

• Page

of 88 First / Last

• whatfruit 20 Mar 2014 14:18:35 1,694 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Aye i'm all for this even sent off a text message donation myself. Definitively approve of cragiys friends idea of posting ball sacks for testicular awareness week, it would be far more effective than that weird advert which gave rhian sugden a ball bag, still giving me nightmares.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK04VyrcXjI[/youtube]

Edited by whatfruit at 14:21:22 20-03-2014

bobomb wrote:
    so it's not really on her terms, it's on his terms, because she isn't real.

• Psychotext 20 Mar 2014 15:18:54 55,057 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    So plenty of people are donating, and clearly those who wouldn't have before.
    Why is it those who wouldn't have before?

I know numerous people who give regularly to cancer charities (and specifically breast, because lets face it, it's easily the most popular), and most of them have given on prodding from this too.
  • smoggo 20 Mar 2014 15:24:55 1,846 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    We need some balance here. I'm gonna shop lift from a CRUK shop to stop them doing this kind of shit again.

BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The jury's out for me whether breathing actually does anything at all

• CosmicFuzz 20 Mar 2014 15:49:11 25,694 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    So plenty of people are donating, and clearly those who wouldn't have before.
    Why is it those who wouldn't have before?

I know numerous people who give regularly to cancer charities (and specifically breast, because lets face it, it's easily the most popular), and most of them have given on prodding from this too.
    Just going from my facebook really, although I suppose I am guessing a little. I'm just convinced that most of the folk I've seen donating wouldn't normally. Although that's maybe a bit harsh.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• CosmicFuzz 20 Mar 2014 15:49:43 25,694 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    smoggo wrote:
    We need some balance here. I'm gonna shop lift from a CRUK shop to stop them doing this kind of shit again.
    It's nothing to do with Cancer Research UK.

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• Steve_Perry 20 Mar 2014 15:51:00 5,201 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Some people have started posting today about "sock on cock" for testicular cancer awareness.

Time to delete the facebook account.
  • smoggo 20 Mar 2014 15:53:04 1,846 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    smoggo wrote:
    Demonstrating a failure of the awareness raising aspect of this.

BinaryBob101 wrote:

• CosmicFuzz 20 Mar 2014 15:55:05 25,694 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    smoggo wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    smoggo wrote:
    What are you talking about?

• smoggo 20 Mar 2014 15:55:49 1,846 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    smoggo wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    smoggo wrote:
    Well, people keep saying "oh it's a good thing, raising awareness" yet I don't even know what charity it's raising money for.

BinaryBob101 wrote:

• CosmicFuzz 20 Mar 2014 15:56:57 25,694 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    smoggo wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    smoggo wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    smoggo wrote:
    Well, people keep saying "oh it's a good thing, raising awareness" yet I don't even know what charity it's raising money for.
    Oh right, no it is raising money for Cancer Research UK, but it's just not their campaign. Seems to have sprung up from facebook.

• tincanrocket 20 Mar 2014 15:57:01 3,030 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Re. socks on cocks. Whilst it is good that money is being raised for charity on the back of this sort of thing*, it is the unbearable "ME, ME, ME, ME, ME" of this spate of charity social media me-toos which makes me do a little bit of sick in my mouth. This is doubly annoying as the good elements to it mean you can't go full on mega-cynic without sounding like a total arsehole.

(* caveat being that I have worked for several charities (ooh, check me), including in cancer research, and much of the money raised will be wasted and won't make it to the front line)

Edited by tincanrocket at 15:58:02 20-03-2014
  • imamazed 20 Mar 2014 15:57:22 5,966 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm yet to think of a better response to one of these photos than:

"Yeh, I can see why you wear make-up"
  • Deleted user 20 March 2014 15:58:06
    Just because you're not aware, doesn't mean it isn't broadly raising awareness.

1m has been raised for a charity that wouldn't otherwise have been raised. Really can't see how people can take issue with that.
  • whatfruit 20 Mar 2014 15:59:39 1,694 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    tincanrocket wrote:
    Re. socks on cocks. Whilst it is good that money is being raised for charity on the back of this sort of thing*, it is the unbearable "ME, ME, ME, ME, ME" of this spate of charity social media me-toos which makes me do a little bit of sick in my mouth. This is doubly annoying as the good elements to it mean you can't go full on mega-cynic without sounding like a total arsehole.

(* caveat being that I have worked for several charities (ooh, check me), including in cancer research, and much of the money raised will be wasted and won't make it to the front line)
    Stop tearing my goodwill apart with your miserable reality.

bobomb wrote:

• smoggo 20 Mar 2014 15:59:48 1,846 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Meh, cancer gets lots of money already. There's other stuff that could do with that money more.

BinaryBob101 wrote:

• whatfruit 20 Mar 2014 16:01:28 1,694 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Free Jeremy Forrest.

bobomb wrote:

• tincanrocket 20 Mar 2014 16:02:31 3,030 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @whatfruit - sorry, but I know that I can crack out the megacynic in me on the EG forum, as I am already in the company of total arseholes ;) (it's why I feel so at home here)

Edited by tincanrocket at 16:04:25 20-03-2014
  • Deleted user 20 March 2014 16:09:18
    smoggo wrote:
    Meh, cancer gets lots of money already. There's other stuff that could do with that money more.
    Yes, that's exactly how charitable donations work. What an intelligent insight.
  • smoggo 20 Mar 2014 16:15:40 1,846 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    smoggo wrote:
    Yes, that's exactly how charitable donations work. What an intelligent insight.
    ty

BinaryBob101 wrote:

• Psychotext 20 Mar 2014 16:39:19 55,057 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    tincanrocket wrote:
    That's my major concern. Most charities aren't run like proper businesses and waste money left right and centre. That's before you get into the ones that seem content to spend all their income on hefty pay packets and massive amounts of advertising.

Particularly hard in the case of a cancer research charity to get a good idea of what the money is going on (research can be a bit of a bottomless pit, ask the pharma companies).

That said, there's not really much we can do about it, so I just try to only give to the charities I think do their best to ensure those in need get as much of the money as possible.
  • LeoliansBro 20 Mar 2014 16:41:43 44,966 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    smoggo wrote:
    Yeah, they've pretty much cured it, why bother trying to help?

Prick.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• rudedudejude 20 Mar 2014 16:42:44 2,254 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought many of them were now publishing where their money goes, i.e:

http://uk.movember.com/about/money
  • smoggo 20 Mar 2014 16:46:08 1,846 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    smoggo wrote:
    Yeah, they've pretty much cured it, why bother trying to help?
    Exactly.

BinaryBob101 wrote:

• tincanrocket 20 Mar 2014 16:49:13 3,030 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Psychotext The clinical research side of things was, at least when I worked in the field, largely paid for by drugs companies (they need their test subjects), so charitable donations covered stuff like equipment budgets, salaries, and so on - so, yes, you did end up with senior staff having (in my opinion, given they supposedly worked in the charity sector, obscenely) high salaries, and lots of wastage - I also called out many colleagues on why they travelled first class etc., as I felt/would feel uncomfortable doing that and always went standard class myself (go me, power to the people etc.).

This is a common problem with charities, in my experience, and the same counter-arguments always come up (blah, blah, if I worked in the commercial sector I would earn this much). The thing is you would also be far more accountable if you worked in the commercial sector and might actually have to break a sweat and not spend all day in 'meetings' in the cafeteria. My typically cowardly muttered under my breath response to the standard salary argument would usually be 'Well, fuck off and work in the commercial sector then', but why should they give up a very cushy number?

Edited by tincanrocket at 16:52:58 20-03-2014
  • sport 20 Mar 2014 17:05:46 12,816 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kalel with a cock sock or GTFO!!!
  • Steve_Perry 20 Mar 2014 17:10:16 5,201 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Can't wait for the "take an instagram photo of your shit to raise awareness of prostate cancer campaign".
  • Load_2.0 20 Mar 2014 17:14:43 19,684 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Either I have fat feet or a tiny cock but I there is no way I could keep a sock on my chap without adhesive.
  • nickthegun 20 Mar 2014 17:16:55 61,349 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You have to put it around your knackers too, bro.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• mrpon 20 Mar 2014 17:16:58 29,590 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The two veg normally goes in as well load.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• mrpon 20 Mar 2014 17:18:40 29,590 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nick always beats me to the ball gag.

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Page

of 88 First / Last