I hate Facebook

• Page

of 87 First / Last

Previous
  • JuanKerr 30 Aug 2007 14:45:37 36,241 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm probably alone on this one, but I detest facebook with a passion. It's like everyone on there is on a pathetic little ego trip in an attempt to prove that they have more friends, have been to more places or have a better life than anyone else. It's painful.

Also, are the people listed as 'friends' really worthy of this title? I had a friend request from a bloke* I went to school with this morning and I thought to myself: "I didn't like this bloke at school, he didn't particularly like me, we NEVER did anything social together outside the common room and I literally haven't uttered a word to him in over a decade, so WHY am I now being considered as one of his 'friends.'

I'll admit that I did briefly flirt with the site and I can just about see its use a sort of group email tool, but other than that, it's a waste of time.

For the people on there: I don't care where you've been on holiday; I don't give a shit how many friends you've got; I'm not impressed with your varied and eclectic taste in music; I don't want to be part of your shitty 'I love Scrubs' group; and I don't want to see another picture of you out with your mates getting pissed and acting like a total cunt.

* I only checked the website because the 'friend' request was sent directly to my hotmail account. Otherwise, I never go on the website.
  • pjmaybe 30 Aug 2007 14:46:47 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm bored with it too.

It's like watching a load of apathetic people just waiting for someone's fit mate to come along so they can start sharking 'em.

Peej
  • Deleted user 30 August 2007 14:47:56
    It's vaguely helpful, enables you to still be friends with someone without actually needing to talk to them anymore.
  • JuanKerr 30 Aug 2007 14:48:12 36,241 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    I'm bored with it too.

It's like watching a load of apathetic people just waiting for someone's fit mate to come along so they can start sharking 'em.

Peej

Glad I'm not the only one.

\o/
  • TheSaint 30 Aug 2007 14:48:17 14,309 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    In the news today it said that the TUC wants workers to have access to facebook in the office to help them plan their social lives.

Personally I am pround not to have a profile and have a strange feeling that the more friends you have on there or myspace the fewer friends you actually have in the real world.
  • Goban 30 Aug 2007 14:48:51 9,052 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have no interest in it whatsoever. My friends e-mail/phone me.
  • JuanKerr 30 Aug 2007 14:49:03 36,241 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:
    It's vaguely helpful, enables you to still be friends with someone without actually needing to talk to them anymore.

Why waste your time communicating with someone you don't particularly want to talk to? Why not use that time to have a chat with friends who are actually friends?
  • LeoliansBro 30 Aug 2007 14:49:32 43,818 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    I'm bored with it too.

Peej

/sends 'Horny Fish' to every fit friend's aquarium

/gets nowhere

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• JuanKerr 30 Aug 2007 14:49:35 36,241 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Goban wrote:

+ billions

That's exactly right.
  • kalel 30 Aug 2007 14:49:56 87,001 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's both a nightmare and a joy. It's just about worth it for the 1 in 10 people (at least) that gets in touch than I'm happy to speak to again, but I am getting increasingly irritated with people who I spoke to once adding me to their lists just so that they can feel popular. That said, it has brought me back in touch with a few people I was genuinly sad to have lost touch with, so that's cool.
  • Deleted user 30 August 2007 14:50:16
    It's put me back in contact with a dozen or so people I haven't spoken to for 4 years or so for various reasons or another, so it's all good from my end. Makes it convenient to find out where people are and what they're doing.
  • JuanKerr 30 Aug 2007 14:50:31 36,241 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:

Personally I am pround not to have a profile and have a strange feeling that the more friends you have on there or myspace the fewer friends you actually have in the real world.

That's so true - I wonder if any actual research has been done on the subject?

I am ashamed to have a 'profile' on there to be honest.
  • Deleted user 30 August 2007 14:51:00
    JuanKerr wrote:
    disussedgenius wrote:

Why waste your time communicating with someone you don't particularly want to talk to? Why not use that time to have a chat with friends who are actually friends?

I don't, I just add them as a friend and that's it. :)

Well, I accept their friends request anyway, I've only even added 1 friend out of my own volition.
  • EddieBear 30 Aug 2007 14:51:02 560 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Couldn't agree more.

Watching mates try to 'out-social' each other, shitty photos taken at ridiculous angles, the 'wacky' groups (Kris Akabusi!!!!ROFL!!!!). I can't stand the bloody thing.
  • JuanKerr 30 Aug 2007 14:51:43 36,241 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:
    It's put me back in contact with a dozen or so people I haven't spoken to for 4 years or so for various reasons or another, so it's all good from my end. Makes it convenient to find out where people are and what they're doing.

Okay, I'll let you have that one, but you must understand why it annoys me - people become fucking obsessed with it and some people's profiles are like an autobiography of their entire lives.
  • pjmaybe 30 Aug 2007 14:52:28 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ...and let us not talk of those constant "ADD THIS APPLICATION SO I CAN SEE IF YOUR COCK IS BIGGER THAN MINE" notifications.

Fuck

Diddly

off

Diddly

Peej
  • FairgroundTown 30 Aug 2007 14:52:57 2,522 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I hate the idea, but I'm worried I might be missing something important.

/ Goes off to register
  • JuanKerr 30 Aug 2007 14:53:02 36,241 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    EddieBear wrote:

the 'wacky' groups (Kris Akabusi!!!!ROFL!!!!)

That is one of THE worst things about it.

/ grinds teeth
  • TwistidChimp 30 Aug 2007 14:53:02 8,825 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Goban wrote:

Ditto.. except mates keep hassling me to get an account. I'm hoping it goes out of fashion as quickly as myspace and blogging did.
  • Phreedh 30 Aug 2007 14:53:08 683 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Far from the only one. My mrs tinkered with it last week as she's home inbetween jobs (literally, starting the new one on monday)... she was apparently invited by her mates and decided to invite me.

I checked it out, tried to write a few messages and reply to the stuff she sent me but I could never figure out what the hell it was I was sending, receiving or doing. Complete and utter mess. Not as bad as fucking myspace, but almost as horrid!
  • JuanKerr 30 Aug 2007 14:54:03 36,241 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    ...and let us not talk of those constant "ADD THIS APPLICATION SO I CAN SEE IF YOUR COCK IS BIGGER THAN MINE" notifications.

Fuck

Diddly

off

Diddly

Peej

Ha, ha, ha! Agreed.
  • Deleted user 30 August 2007 14:54:36
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Okay, I'll let you have that one, but you must understand why it annoys me - people become fucking obsessed with it and some people's profiles are like an autobiography of their entire lives.

But how does that affect you in any way whatsoever?

It's easier to update a profile to include what you've been up to over the past few years than painstakingly go through the same story over and over again with different people, especially with the people who you probably won't get to sit down and have a chat with at any point in the future (eg, people who have moved to the ass-end of the world).
  • Dougs 30 Aug 2007 14:56:03 67,200 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    disussedgenius wrote:

Aye, it's good for lazy people. Like me.
  • JuanKerr 30 Aug 2007 14:57:19 36,241 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TwistidChimp wrote:
    Goban wrote:

Ditto.. except mates keep hassling me to get an account. I'm hoping it goes out of fashion as quickly as myspace and blogging did.

I think it's popularity is waning anyway - my mates hardly use it anymore.
  • pjmaybe 30 Aug 2007 14:58:09 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I swear that someone needs to put together an anti-facebook. A sort of antisocial networking site.

No, not the Daily Mirror forums...but something that just allows you to join and be thoroughly bloody miserable and antisocial amongst a group of selected aquaintances. Sort of like this place, but with more tits.

Peej
  • JuanKerr 30 Aug 2007 14:58:19 36,241 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:

But how does that affect you in any way whatsoever?

It's easier to update a profile to include what you've been up to over the past few years than painstakingly go through the same story over and over again with different people, especially with the people who you probably won't get to sit down and have a chat with at any point in the future (eg, people who have moved to the ass-end of the world).

Stop defending it damn you!
  • haowan 30 Aug 2007 14:58:42 7,384 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Completely uninterested in this facebook site. Never even been there.
  • JuanKerr 30 Aug 2007 14:58:59 36,241 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    I swear that someone needs to put together an anti-facebook. A sort of antisocial networking site.

No, not the Daily Mirror forums...but something that just allows you to join and be thoroughly bloody miserable and antisocial amongst a group of selected aquaintances. Sort of like this place, but with more tits.

Peej

Anyone know how to code websites? That sounds like my kind of website.
  • The_Foo_Fighter 30 Aug 2007 14:59:00 724 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well I've actually got back in touch with a few old friends because of it and it is a useful way to keep in contact with old colleagues - also good for sharing photos of events with family overseas.

That said, I do need to cull my friends list now. I reckon if I haven't spoken to them/stalked them within the last 9 months, then they go.
  • brokenkey 30 Aug 2007 14:59:13 6,984 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    it just makes me feel old because no-one I knew from school or university is on there.

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Page

of 87 First / Last

Previous