Machinarium - full game from Amanita Design (Samorost) Page 4

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• Phattso Moderator 18 Oct 2009 19:28:48 13,294 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aaaaandd... I've finished it. Relatively short in the end, under five hours I think including chewing on some of the tougher puzzles, but I had to use the book four times: twice through not physically seeing something to interact with and twice through being a dumb shit.

Thoroughly enjoyable, totally charming, some really nice visuals and excellent audio. I didn't enjoy it to the point of gushing like many of the reviews did, but I think you'd have to go out of your way to dislike this game. :)
  • Trowel 18 Oct 2009 19:49:07 17,636 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just finished it also, much shorter than I'd hoped sadly. Only puzzle I got stuck on was one where I couldn't see the key object (Phattso: was one of yours the plunger?). Nice game, but I probably got more out of that weird stuck in a room game someone linked to a few months back.
  • Phattso Moderator 19 Oct 2009 11:26:19 13,294 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    (Phattso: was one of yours the plunger?).

Yeah, that was one of them. The other visual one was the handle to drop the magnet to lift one of the two stacking crates.

The two where I was being a dumb shit were flicking the dust on the floor to get the little bot to come out, I swear I hit that hot-spot many times and nothing happened and, to my great shame, the very last puzzle because I knew it was the end and just couldn't be arsed shuttling back and forth listening to the signal. ;-)

I also thoroughly enjoyed all of the mini games, without exception. Some of those would make excellent full puzzlers, much less throwaway events in a point 'n' click adventure. :)
  • Deleted user 19 October 2009 18:23:31
    Just bought this now - played the demo and had to see more
  • Deleted user 19 October 2009 18:36:59
    Only just heard of this and watched a video. Fuck me this is a good looking game.
  • Trowel 19 Oct 2009 18:56:58 17,636 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Smuggo wrote:

I also got a bit stuck on the fan's puzzles. Kept thinking I needed the right answer to move on :)
    Same here, and no doubt with everyone else - probably my favourite moment in the game :)
    Edit: spoiler fixed, sorry!
  • kalel 19 Oct 2009 19:37:00 87,003 posts
    Seen 25 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Actually a word on that, can you put some sort of clue as to what you're actually spoilering there Smuggo? Not much point in using tags if people have to look at them to know what it is that might be spoiled.

Loving this btw. The resolution issue is a minor one I think, it's not bothering me at all tbh.
  • Phattso Moderator 19 Oct 2009 20:34:10 13,294 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Loving this btw. The resolution issue is a minor one I think, it's not bothering me at all tbh.

It only bothered me when I missed a couple of puzzles due to small interactive elements, but in no way a dealbreaker next to the quality of the experience. Gave me a headache the first night, too, but in retrospect I may just have been tired.

I've already convinced three other people to buy the game, and they're all having a great time, so I'm doing my bit for indie developers. :)
  • Ka-blamo 19 Oct 2009 22:07:23 7,321 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Im stuck on a bit that the book doesnt seem to help...

Ive got a plant...an oil can thing....and a radio with a new speaker I put in.....no idea what to do, the book says you give the plant to the guy in the wheel chair?...didnt work, and the i have seemed to have tried all the things on everything

might be being dumb

• Trowel 19 Oct 2009 22:09:07 17,636 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Click on the manhole next to the guy in the wheelchair - everything should fall into place...
  • Phattso Moderator 19 Oct 2009 22:09:38 13,294 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ka-blamo wrote:

Ive got a plant...an oil can thing....and a radio with a new speaker I put in.....no idea what to do, the book says you give the plant to the guy in the wheel chair?...didnt work, and the i have seemed to have tried all the things on everything

might be being dumb

You need to give the guy in the wheelchair some oil - go out the door to the left of the band if memory serves and then when he moves off the manhole cover you can open that to find a new location.

Hopefully that's right. :)
  • Ka-blamo 19 Oct 2009 22:13:16 7,321 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    Ka-blamo wrote:

might be being dumb

You need to give the guy in the wheelchair some oil

Thats the bit I'm stuck on...I dont have any :)
  • Phattso Moderator 19 Oct 2009 22:14:20 13,294 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes - that's why I told you where to find some. :)
  • Ka-blamo 19 Oct 2009 22:16:02 7,321 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Ka-blamo 19 Oct 2009 22:17:41 7,321 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Smuggo wrote:
    Ka-blamo wrote:
    Phattso wrote:
    Ka-blamo wrote:

might be being dumb

You need to give the guy in the wheelchair some oil

Thats the bit I'm stuck on...I dont have any :)

You can get it by going out the door to the left of the band, it takes you to the bridge from the second level, and oil is dripping down onto the bridge. Use your oil can to get it.

Aaaagh of course.....I was being dumb...even been through that door a few times, thanks :)
  • Deleted user 20 October 2009 15:10:12
    Just finished this. My only criticisms would be that it was a bit short and perhaps a bit easy. Very enjoyable otherwise.
  • Razz 27 Oct 2009 14:32:43 61,074 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My PC can't run it :( I hope it comes for the DS or somethign

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• kalel 28 Oct 2009 15:04:04 87,003 posts
    Seen 25 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Finished!

I was expecting a short game, but the ending was a little abrupt, perhaps because the last few puzzles were easier than what had preceded them. I was expecting something really cuntish at the end.

Lovely game though, really enjoyed it. I started a replay straight away, which I havenít done in years.

• Deleted user 28 October 2009 15:07:51
    kalel wrote:
    Finished!

I was expecting a short game, but the ending was a little abrupt, perhaps because the last few puzzles were easier than what had preceded them. I was expecting something really cuntish at the end.

Lovely game though, really enjoyed it. I started a replay straight away, which I havenít done in years.

How long did it take you? If it is a proper short game then I will pick it up now.
  • kalel 28 Oct 2009 15:13:21 87,003 posts
    Seen 25 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, it would probably depend how badly stuck you get, but I shouldnít think thereís much more than 3 or 4 hours in there.

Itís the sort of game thatís so cheap and so good, thereís no excuse not to buy really, bit like World of Goo. A lot of work and thought has gone into it, and I always think true gamers almost have a duty to buy things like this.

• Deleted user 28 October 2009 15:24:23
    Excellent, perfect length for me. Short and sweet.
  • TheBlackBandit 9 Nov 2009 19:31:51 113 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I reckon I'm getting near the end of this... like a good book I almost don't want to continue so it doesn't end.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 21 Nov 2009 22:16:43 12,740 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Beautiful game, completed it last night. Some puzzles I needed to look up but most were quite smart and the drawings, even a few hours in, or the odd evening I'd play for half an hour, it still impressed. Such a lovingly crafted world.
  • Page

of 7 First / Last