Machinarium - full game from Amanita Design (Samorost) Page 3

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• Trowel 15 Oct 2009 23:58:42 17,797 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dammit. Was just off to bed to dream of runaway balloons. Maybe just a quick hour or two...
  • ZuluHero 16 Oct 2009 00:37:28 4,175 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    I'm tempted to get it direct from the devs like I did with World of Goo. Got it quicker and cheaper that way, and the devs made more money.

Always nice in theory but I'm never that happy entering my details into some random payment aggregating service or other, or PayPal which I don't use, as each developer seems to have a different one. At least they're getting something - without Steam I'd probably not buy it at all.

At least direct from devs gives you a DRM free game. Not dissing steam at all btw, i do use it when i have to ;)

EDIT: Hang on - i preordered direct from the site ages ago and i still haven't had an email saying where to download it - no fair!
  • Tomo 16 Oct 2009 00:47:05 13,928 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think I'll probably end up getting it on Steam just so my Steam Collection is even longer... it's way too addictive building that up.
  • ZuluHero 16 Oct 2009 00:47:14 4,175 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    disc wrote:
    The music is excellent ;)

Gah!

rub it in why don't you....

• Tomo 16 Oct 2009 00:51:50 13,928 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    BUT IT'S NOT THE SAME

/shakes

It's not really cloud gaming then though, is it? CD based games only appear on the list you add it to, amirite?
  • neilka 16 Oct 2009 11:51:40 16,105 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Surely there are versions of Flash that are intended for distributing full applications and don't force their right-click menu on you?

Lastly, I am gay, disabled, and a liberal.

• Phattso Moderator 17 Oct 2009 11:43:37 13,351 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm surprised there's no talk in here from those that picked the game up. Presumably your brains have all exploded? ;-)

I'm loving it, but the decision to use Flash again is fucking annoying. Not even just in terms of interface features, but I''m assuming it doesn't support advanced scaling so a good portion of my high resolution display is just blank. I've missed a few details essential to puzzle solving as a result of that.

Still - it's charming, and when you solve a puzzle very satisfying, so it's pushing all the right buttons. Visually distinctive, the audio is phenomenal, and some of the puzzles are great. But for the love of all that's good and holy: learn to program, and give Flash the heavo-ho. :)
  • SomaticSense 17 Oct 2009 16:11:48 8,442 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Frankly, I'm bloody glad it uses Flash.

Firstly it looks fantastic, and secondly it means I can run it at as intended with my pos computer without needing to spend a fortune. Same was said of World of Goo, another fantastic game I would also have missed if it wasn't for the lenient specification needs. After seeing the minimum specs GamesTM mentioned in their review, I was gutted I'd have to miss out. Turns out they were talking bollocks.

If it works fine using Flash, then why not?
  • ChampionAdam 17 Oct 2009 16:44:19 96 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Agreed - like Osmos, it runs brilliantly on my (1.2 gHz PIII) crappy/lappy. This sort of game is EXACTLY the sort of game I don't want to have to play on my fancy-pants PC; I want to be able to play for 5 minutes whenever suits.

So far I love it. As everybody and his monkey has already said, it's in the detail. Beautiful. And funny. And weirdly touching.
  • Phattso Moderator 17 Oct 2009 16:49:33 13,351 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    Frankly, I'm bloody glad it uses Flash.

Flash is more resource intensive than rolling your own purpose built engine, especially when all we're talking about is simple 2D.

Firstly it looks fantastic,

It does at that - shame the fucking big black borders around it on my high-res monitor somewhat ruin the immersion there. Again - probably as a result of using Flash, or of not wanting to scale the hand drawn atwork, but it's a let down for me. Scaling and filtering wouldn't hurt it that much I think.

and secondly it means I can run it at as intended with my pos computer without needing to spend a fortune. Same was said of World of Goo, another fantastic game I would also have missed if it wasn't for the lenient specification needs.

To reiterate: Flash is less efficient than a custom engine. Which is what the World of Goo people made - and ran in low res with filtering and it looked great and run quickly on 99% of machinses. :)

If it works fine using Flash, then why not?

The only reason it's using Flash is, I suspect, because that's all the guy knows how to use. That's fair enough, I can sympathise. Doesn't mean it's ideal. And it's not.

It's working 'fine' for you? Great stuff - couldn't be happier for you. Personally I'd like to be able to use more than one mouse button, streamline the interface, and have the game running at the native resolution of my display. Sounds eminently sensible to me.
  • SomaticSense 17 Oct 2009 16:54:27 8,442 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My assumption was that WoG ran using Flash down to it's almost total lack of need for the usual kind of specs.

I am really not at all clued up on all of that stuff though, and am just grateful that I can play Machinarium at all, as I thought there was no way that would be the case.
  • Phattso Moderator 17 Oct 2009 17:00:01 13,351 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SomaticSense wrote:
    My assumption was that WoG ran using Flash down to it's almost total lack of need for the usual kind of specs.

World of Goo didn't run on Flash, you're thinking of Tower of Goo which was a far simpler prospect. World of Goo had its own engine, I believe, such as it was. Again - simple 2D stuff.

I am really not at all clued up on all of that stuff though, and am just grateful that I can play Machinarium at all, as I thought there was no way that would be the case.

It is, quite literally, just moving 2D images about. That's about as light as you can be on a processor - it was never going to need a monster rig, I'm surprised you thought it might. :)

In fact, the only reason the specs are as high as they are is because Flash needs it. :)

Don't get me wrong - I absolutely applaud these productions that will run on low spec hardware, but sadly it does rather fuck people on the other end of the scale.

My high res display is completely under-utilised, which means I'm actually probably having a poorer experience than you are. The black borders really are annoying, and it makes finding the inventory strip very troublesome.

I could run it in a window, but that just completely ruins the atmosphere. It's a relatively minor niggle for sure, but it is reducing my enjoyment of the game. And it's a shame in a game that's otherwise very good.
  • Trowel 17 Oct 2009 17:24:42 17,797 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not very far in yet, puzzles getting nice and tough already without ever being obtuse - currently trying to get all the band's instruments working. I'm finding the inventory a little annoying in that it doesn't always drop down when I want it to, otherwise a terrific head scratcher so far. Not had to resort to the hint system yet *touch wood* Loving the little cartoons that pop up from time-to-time too.
  • Phattso Moderator 17 Oct 2009 17:37:52 13,351 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I got into a groover earlier and did a good half dozen puzzles in one hit. The one you're on, Trowel, was excellent. :)

I've had to use the cheat minigame once for an early puzzle, as I hadn't physically seen a lever I could pull, and I think it's a wonderful inclusion and means even if I do end up totally stumped on something I have an alternative to just switching the game off.

Those little cartoons when you idle are cool too, as you say. A nice surprise if you're just sitting and thinking your way through a problem.
  • Phattso Moderator 17 Oct 2009 21:30:47 13,351 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Smuggo wrote:
    Phattso wrote:
    My high res display is completely under-utilised, which means I'm actually probably having a poorer experience than you are. The black borders really are annoying, and it makes finding the inventory strip very troublesome.

Couldn't you just output the display in a lower resolution and let the monitor upscale it? A bit annoying but only take a couple of seconds to switch it.

But then it's skewed and not as the author intended. Better that the author of the game do it to make sure it's still representative of the artwork. You've seen an output at non-native resolution on an LCD right? Nine times out of ten it's bollocks. So yes, it would fill my screen; but it would also look shit.
  • StixxUK 17 Oct 2009 22:09:45 7,255 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Talking about Samorost here rather than Machinarium - but for all the wonderful weirdness, there's really not much to it. Click on something, then find something else to click on until you move onto another screen. Then do it again.

Does it get better after the first few screens?
  • StixxUK 18 Oct 2009 00:37:41 7,255 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Smuggo wrote:
    StixxUK wrote:
    Talking about Samorost here rather than Machinarium - but for all the wonderful weirdness, there's really not much to it. Click on something, then find something else to click on until you move onto another screen. Then do it again.

This is how all point and click adventure games work.
    Ummmm, no.
  • Phattso Moderator 18 Oct 2009 00:44:42 13,351 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Smuggo wrote:
    Surely if the aspect ratio is kept the same it will make little difference.

No, because once you go away from 1:1 pixel equivalence scaling comes into it. This is modifying the source art, and in a game like this would be a bad idea.

Do you have an old low res monitor lying around you could use?

Are you serious or are you on the wind up? Let's have a monitor around for every game that might have shite (read: no) handling of variable resolution shall we?

As I've said, a few times now, it's not the end of the world for me. But it is souring what has otherwise been a very pleasant experience and I hope the dude ditches Flash for his next project. And that's where all this started: people saying there was nothing wrong with using Flash. When there is. In both controls and visuals.

That's the last I have to say on it anyway. Back to the puzzling. :)
  • ChthonicEcho 18 Oct 2009 10:46:57 410 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Technical and genre-related discussions aside...

...Has anyone reached the bit where you have to win a game of tic tac toe? The game is as punishing as a JRPG. Your opponent makes the first move, and obsessively blocks all your plans.

There's an increasing amount of minigames... There are very few actual puzzles. If this keeps up, I'll just set this aside. Seems like an unsuccessful revival of a great genre.
  • Trowel 18 Oct 2009 12:11:15 17,797 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ChthonicEcho wrote:
    Technical and genre-related discussions aside...

...Has anyone reached the bit where you have to win a game of tic tac toe? The game is as punishing as a JRPG. Your opponent makes the first move, and obsessively blocks all your plans.

There's an increasing amount of minigames... There are very few actual puzzles. If this keeps up, I'll just set this aside. Seems like an unsuccessful revival of a great genre.
    He seems unbeatable at first, but he's quite predictable to play against - he'll block any groups of three, even if you're going toward the edge and don't have space to join up five. It's difficult to plan ahead, but aim to set up open ended pairs with singles so you can join them to make fours, and eventually you should find yourself with plenty of options.

I was disappointed to come across it as it goes against the grain of the rest of the game, but it's worth persevering and getting past as there are some brilliant puzzles just round the corner (albeit with more - but far better - minigames too...).
  • Phattso Moderator 18 Oct 2009 12:14:07 13,351 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    StixxUK wrote:
    Smuggo wrote:
    StixxUK wrote:

This is how all point and click adventure games work.
    Ummmm, no.

I know what you're getting at, StixxUK. Has been a few years since I played, but Samarost was more of an interactive experience than a 'game' in the traditional sense. You're playing more to explore and experience the weirdness of the visuals and the soundscape. As memory serves, anyways.
  • Deleted user 18 October 2009 12:15:31
    I beat the five-in-a-row on my third attempt.

I shamefully admit to having used the walkthrough twice, once in the room with the telescope (this was an extremely stupid moment on my part - I never actually tried opening the door, just assumed that it was locked and would open with the clock puzzle), and also...coincidentally, with the clock puzzle as I was reading the time wrong and was getting confused why it wasn't opening the cell.
  • Phattso Moderator 18 Oct 2009 15:26:26 13,351 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just did a sequence of puzzles that were excellent - really well intertwined. Proper grin on my face now, little pat on the back, gold star, everything. :)
  • Page

of 7 First / Last